• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Update from MIUI 11.0.1 To V12.0.3.0

Search This thread

derrekgamer

Nov 26, 2018
Hello everyone, a little question. Now I'm running Android 10 miui 11.0.1 rooted with magisc and using pitch black recovery.. It supports the Ota update the same as stock recovery.

My question now is if I upgrate from MIUI 11.0.3 to miui 12.0.3 what will happens with the root? Will I need to delete the data partition?.. Maybe the new version fill found the phone rooted and the phone won't boot.. So I will need to format data..

Pleae answer to me guys asap. I can update the rom using twrp recovery.. But i don't want to lose all my data from the phone if it found the root

Sorry for my bad English..

Phone : mi 8 lite
Rom : official global rom miui 11.0.3 rooted with magisk
the update is : miui12.0.3 (860mb)

Last edited:

persona78

Apr 12, 2013
Hello everyone, a little question. Now I'm running Android 10 miui 11.0.1 rooted with magisc and using pitch black recovery.. It supports the Ota update the same as stock recovery.

My question now is if I upgrate from MIUI 11.0.3 to miui 12.0.3 what will happens with the root? Will I need to delete the data partition?.. Maybe the new version fill found the phone rooted and the phone won't boot.. So I will need to format data..

Pleae answer to me guys asap. I can update the rom using twrp recovery.. But i don't want to lose all my data from the phone if it found the root

Sorry for my bad English..

Phone : mi 8 lite
Rom : official global rom miui 11.0.3 rooted with magisk
the update is : miui12.0.3 (860mb)

Probably you will need to root again!
It will format the partitions before flash the new one.

derrekgamer

Nov 26, 2018
Probably you will need to root again!
It will format the partitions before flash the new one.

Hmm.. It is a simple Ota update so maybe it won't format anything.. But I'm thinking after Ota update done maybe the root is gone.. And for the Android 10 if you root your phone after flashing magisk always need to perform a data format..so I don't want to lose anything yet.. I don't know.. ?

persona78

Apr 12, 2013
Hmm.. It is a simple Ota update so maybe it won't format anything.. But I'm thinking after Ota update done maybe the root is gone.. And for the Android 10 if you root your phone after flashing magisk always need to perform a data format..so I don't want to lose anything yet.. I don't know.. ?

Hmmm....
Better to understand how magisk perform the root to understand where files go, i think it do something in boot.img and that is one if the images that Will be flashed i know, i updated it yesterday and a little tweak i had done was gone.

derrekgamer

Nov 26, 2018
Hmmm....
Better to understand how magisk perform the root to understand where files go, i think it do something in boot.img and that is one if the images that Will be flashed i know, i updated it yesterday and a little tweak i had done was gone.

Yes the magisc use boot.img for root. So the new Ota update will get for sure a new boot.img.. So my phone will no more be rooted.. And if root after that I need to clear the data.. So.. No reason.. Better no update ?

derrekgamer

Nov 26, 2018
Hmmm....

i updated. and the phone is stuck at miui logo. Formated data and works again.

Last edited:

louiscypherbr

Oct 12, 2010
São Paulo
I've updated my mi 8 lite. I am using orange fox recovery, updated it using OTA (orange fox also sports it since you keep some auto generated files at sdcard) and I had not to format data partition. In fact, the update did not erase any user info. The only thing I had to do was to flash magisk zip again and voila, root is back and full functional again.