Update hitting today or tomorrow! 1.54

Search This thread

exSD

Apr 6, 2009
There is a dropbox link to a TWRP backup of the original stock ROM on this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2698932

If you want to take the OTA, simply restore system and flash back to stock recovery. You can remove the bloat again after the OTA.

I just freeze the bloat for now in Titanium so that I can take future updates until more custom ROMs come out.

All your data will still be intact.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Stock recovery can be downloaded in this thread. It's the one I used to take the OTA.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699165

Hmmm so I dropped the folder in my twrp/backups folder but can't see it in twrp

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
Hmmm so I dropped the folder in my twrp/backups folder but can't see it in twrp

Drop the "2014-04-03--16-40-35 KOT49H release-keys" folder into a folder with your phone's serial number and not the uploader's serial number. The serial number starts with "FA..."

The file structure should be "/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA..../2014-04-03....."

Also, make sure you are selecting the right storage card in TWRP.

Last edited:
Reactions: exSD

exSD

Apr 6, 2009
Drop the "2014-04-03--16-40-35 KOT49H release-keys" folder into a folder with your phone's serial number and not the uploader's serial number. The serial number starts with "FA..."

The file structure should be "/TWRP/BACKUPS/FA..../2014-04-03....."

Also, make sure you are selecting the right storage card in TWRP.

Yup got it. I didn't know it had to be under my devices serial #.

The storage will be /sdcard/twrp/backups instead of /sdcard2/ in case anyone is wondering.

---------- Post added 8th April 2014 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 7th April 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

There is a dropbox link to a TWRP backup of the original stock ROM on this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2698932

If you want to take the OTA, simply restore system and flash back to stock recovery. You can remove the bloat again after the OTA.

I just freeze the bloat for now in Titanium so that I can take future updates until more custom ROMs come out.

All your data will still be intact.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Stock recovery can be downloaded in this thread. It's the one I used to take the OTA.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699165

So I restored /system from the TWRP stock backup and was able to take the OTA. After the OTA I downgraded hboot and flashed back to TWRP. All is well. :good:

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
Is the flashable s-off firmware zip coming, along with a rom flash? Or are you s-off people doing it different this time?

aaron130

Mar 19, 2008
Massachusetts
ygepyqep.jpg

Just got it driving home from work not unlocked or anything yet,completely stock. Here's a screenshot.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Should I take this OTA or unlock and root and everything first? Or will I still be able to root later on? Haven't had time to do it cuz I'm having surgery so I was going to wait till after my surgery to do everything.

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
ygepyqep.jpg

Just got it driving home from work not unlocked or anything yet,completely stock. Here's a screenshot.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Should I take this OTA or unlock and root and everything first? Or will I still be able to root later on? Haven't had time to do it cuz I'm having surgery so I was going to wait till after my surgery to do everything.

If you take the OTA your bootloader has to be locked.
If you plan on getting S-OFF I would wait, firewater may not work if you update.
As for unlocking and rooting you can do that anytime.

Reactions: aaron130

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
If you take the OTA your bootloader has to be locked.
If you plan on getting S-OFF I would wait, firewater may not work if you update.
As for unlocking and rooting you can do that anytime.

Bootloader does not have to be relocked. You just need to have stock recovery and make sure you have all the system files that the OTA patches (which is a lot if you look in the OTA zip).

Once you update, just reinstall custom recovery and flash superuser to re-root as you did before.

If you are SOFF, then you stay SOFF. If you plan on getting SOFF, wait in case the exploit is patched in the update.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Another thing I noticed with the update is that instead of fixing the home button to actually give us the option of being a menu button on longpress, they completely removed the home button option in settings/display and gestures.

gbone1106

Apr 8, 2014
Bootloader does not have to be relocked. You just need to have stock recovery and make sure you have all the system files that the OTA patches (which is a lot if you look in the OTA zip).

Once you update, just reinstall custom recovery and flash superuser to re-root as you did before.

If you are SOFF, then you stay SOFF. If you plan on getting SOFF, wait in case the exploit is patched in the update.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Another thing I noticed with the update is that instead of fixing the home button to actually give us the option of being a menu button on longpress, they completely removed the home button option in settings/display and gestures.

So , and sorry if this sounds redundant;, If I'm s-off and I flash stock recovery, take the OTA update, re-flash custom recovery and superuser, I will stay s-off? do I also have to re-flash the custom hboot?

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
So , and sorry if this sounds redundant;, If I'm s-off and I flash stock recovery, take the OTA update, re-flash custom recovery and superuser, I will stay s-off? do I also have to re-flash the custom hboot?

Yes. You stay S-OFF. Just make sure you didn't delete any system files that the OTA needs to patch. Otherwise, the update will quit because it's sees that the system has been modified. This is assuming you are still on the stock ODEX ROM.

You don't need to reflash the hexed edited hboot unless you want to remove the Red Text Warning (which I'm sure you do).

henderjr

Yes. You stay S-OFF. Just make sure you didn't delete any system files that the OTA needs to patch. Otherwise, the update will quit because it's sees that the system has been modified. This is assuming you are still on the stock ODEX ROM.

You don't need to reflash the hexed edited hboot unless you want to remove the Red Text Warning (which I'm sure you do).

I was able to flash the stock system apps from twrp backup as I removed some stock apps, put the stock recovery on, update to sprint's new release, flash recovery, reflash busybox/su, flash the other mods I have (like exchange security off, sweep to sleep, no write protection, etc), get rid of the ugly red text, and am back to where I was with the extreme power saver and whatever other things Sprint "fixed". Thanks to all you devs and gurus! I just read, double/triple read, and go. So far so good!

Edit: Jumped the gun. My wifi won't turn on. I'll figure it out

Last edited:

Ph33zy

Feb 24, 2006
Orange County, CA
I was able to flash the stock system apps from twrp backup as I removed some stock apps, put the stock recovery on, update to sprint's new release, flash recovery, reflash busybox/su, flash the other mods I have (like exchange security off, sweep to sleep, no write protection, etc), get rid of the ugly red text, and am back to where I was with the extreme power saver and whatever other things Sprint "fixed". Thanks to all you devs and gurus! I just read, double/triple read, and go. So far so good!

Edit: Jumped the gun. My wifi won't turn on. I'll figure it out

Wifi is working on my end. I didn't reflash the no-write protection mod since I wasn't sure if the kernel was updated and we need a kernel with init.d support for that mod. However, I my write protection is disabled still and I can modify stuff while I'm booted into the system. I'm not sure if its related to S-OFF or if the update just didn't contain an updated kernel.

Top Liked Posts