[UPDATE/KEEP ROOT GUIDE] MAR 2021 (RQ2A.210305.006) "CORAL" Magisk/Stock Boot Images

Search This thread

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
IMPORTANT!! THESE FILES / THIS THREAD IS FOR PIXEL 4 XL "CORAL" ONLY, NOT PIXEL 4 "FLAME"!!

**IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO PATCH THE STOCK BOOT IMAGE YOURSELF, FROM YOUR OWN DEVICE, USING MAGISK MANAGER. WHILE THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THE FILE I PROVIDED BELOW WILL BE IDENTICAL (USE A FILE HASH CHECKSUM TOOL IF YOU'RE CURIOUS), THERE IS ALSO A CHANCE THEY MAY HAVE SMALL, BUT SIGNIFICANT, VARIANCES**
Thanks for the info and link, @wrongway213
Link to @topjohnwu's post: twitter dot com /topjohnwu/status/1272136975022084097?s=19 (until I figure out how to stop new XDA from forcing the URL to embed a giant twitter posting in the middle of the post...)

ALL FILES BELOW ARE FOR "RQ2A.210305.006, Mar 2021"!
Magisk v22.0 Patched Boot Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746586
Factory Untouched Boot Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746583
Factory Untouched DTBO Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746585

----------------------------------------------
-------------UPDATE PROCESS BELOW-------------
----------------------------------------------​

EASY UPDATE / SEAMLESS KEEP-ROOT UPDATE PROCESS (using a PC - a very intuitive, effective, and relatively safe method).
** You can only follow this guide verbatim if coming EXACTLY from build "11.0.0 (RQ1A.210205.004, Feb 2021)". But the general idea is the same for other builds, you just need the correct files for your device.

coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-dtbo.img: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145727318
coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-boot.img: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145727317
March 2021 sideload OTA zip: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/coral-ota-rq2a.210305.006-c7e59bf8.zip

DO NOT BOOT BACK INTO O/S UNTIL ALL STEPS ARE COMPLETED - THIS ENSURES EVERYTHING BOOTS BACK UP WITH MAGISK / EDXPOSED ALL RUNNING PROPERLY RIGHT AWAY

1. boot into bootloader
----------------
** I was on custom kernel, so I needed to flash BOTH the stock boot and dtbo images
2. fastboot flash boot coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-boot.img
3. fastboot flash dtbo coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-dtbo.img
......* these steps to restore stock recovery; dtbo.img also necessary for some kernel installations.
......* won't hurt to flash both anyway, so if you're unsure, go ahead and do both.
-----------------
4. use volume keys to change selection to boot to Recovery Mode
......- when you reach the android symbol with No Command, hold power button, tap volume up, in case you've forgotten
5. choose option "Apply update from ADB"
6. adb sideload coral-ota-rq2a.210305.006-c7e59bf8.zip
7. Once the OTA sideload is done, Reboot to bootloader (you'll also notice it's now on the other slot after OTA flashed)
8. fastboot flash boot coral-rq2a.210305.006-magisk_patched-22.0.img
9. done, start the phone
(Optional - Flash custom kernel. If you had a custom kernel, you need to re-flash it)

This is a 100% seamless update that requires no additional / re-setup of any of my Magisk or EdXposed setups. All of the factory files can be found here https://developers.google.com/android/images. boot.img and dtbo.img are in their corresponding full Factory Image zips, and the ota zip is under Full OTA Images.

-------------------------------------------------
-------------------TROUBLESHOOTING-------------------
-------------------------------------------------​

Issues after updating?

If you end up unable to boot or bootlooping afterwards, you most likely have an old Magisk module that isn't playing nice with the new build. There are 2 main things you can do:

1. Flash the new factory untouched boot image. You will of course lose root, and all modules will be disabled. However, it should at least get you able to boot back up quickly and have a working phone if you're in a bind.

2. I would recommend checking Tulsadiver's thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/magisk-modules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3990557
Instead of reverting to stock boot image, fastboot boot (NOT FLASH) Tulsadiver's boot image. This will boot your phone in Magisk Core-Only Mode, with all modules disabled but root retained. From here you can open Magisk Manager and disable suspect modules. Before rebooting, go to Magisk Manager's settings and disable Magisk Core-Only Mode. Once you disable the incompatible module, the phone should boot back up.
- See this post (or thread) for more tips / context / an example:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82509691&postcount=16
Since Magisk v21.x, Core Only mode has been replaced by using Android's built-in Safe Mode. Booting into Safe Mode should essentially boot you back into your system but with all modules disabled (as well as Magisk Hide). Keep in mind that even after you reboot, modules will remain disabled, unless you re-enable them first. Also remember to re-enable Magisk Hide if you had it enabled before.

Please see @Didgeridoohan's guide for more details: https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskModuleIssues#hn_Core_Only_Mode

It's also worth mentioning, his guide is extremely well-made and contains a lot of useful information that could benefit all Magisk users and modders. I highly recommend looking through it anyway!

Last edited:

neomasterpt

Aug 12, 2011
I've tried this but it keeps rebooting into fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot". Also tried other kernels but can only boot to the unpached boot img.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
The update itself worked with your method. However since then my phone keeps freezing after I try to unlock it. Ergo it boots up normally, I see the start screen but when I try to unlock it by writing down my pin, the phone freezes and instandly restarts. I already tried booting to safemode and disabling all magisk modules, but it seems that this did not work.

mixtapes08

Sep 23, 2011
Quezon City
OnePlus 6
Google Pixel 4 XL
This is my method works all the time.

patched boot.img via magisk

fastboot flash bootloader<bootloader.img>
fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot flash radio<radio.img>

fastboot --skip-reboot update<image.zip>

fastboot flash boot<patchedboot.img>
fastboot reboot

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
I've tried this but it keeps rebooting into fastboot mode with "no valid slot to boot". Also tried other kernels but can only boot to the unpached boot img.

Did you get this sorted out?

The update itself worked with your method. However since then my phone keeps freezing after I try to unlock it. Ergo it boots up normally, I see the start screen but when I try to unlock it by writing down my pin, the phone freezes and instandly restarts. I already tried booting to safemode and disabling all magisk modules, but it seems that this did not work.

I would try flashing the stock boot image and see if you can get in.

Maybe can also try flashing the full factory image with the -w removed in the script file. Just run stock first (don't replace the boot.img with the Magisk patched boot) to make sure it's not Magisk related.

I hate to bring potential bad news, but I had something similar happen, twice now. Though not exactly as described. Both times I had to full wipe too... First time, I woke up to my phone being completely out of space, and while I could unlock, I would only have a few seconds (seemingly random) to use the phone before it would freeze and reboot. I thought maybe it had to do with the phone running out of space at the time.

When it happened again a few months later, my phone had plenty of space. But like last time, phone would boot up, I would unlock, and then it would run like crap until eventually forced rebooting. Trying all combinations of stock / Magisk / modified boot images, flashing full firmware (with -w removed), rolling back to previous firmware... Nothing worked and eventually it just got stuck at the G logo. Had to full wipe at that point, but luckily I had backups of my important stuff.

First time happened on Android 10, second time happened on Android 11. Weird. There's actually a thread I read a while back with people describing the same issue, and ultimately seems like only a full wipe fixed it.

Oh and one last thing - for me, while I can't prove it, both times it happened shortly after I installed the Storage Isolation / Redirect (Riru) app / module... Didn't occur to me until later that maybe that somehow messed with some permissions related to System UI that even disabling the module later wouldn't fix. I use it on my other devices without issue, but I have since never installed it back on my P4XL and no problems in months. Also both times, Magisk Manager was also acting crazy, and I couldn't flash new modules or anything. It kept saying it didn't have storage permissions, even though it did, and no amount of uninstalling / reinstalling / etc would bring it back to a working state. Again why I somewhat suspect Storage Isolation was causing some weird stuff to happen...

But since it only happened to you after updating, hopefully it's something else, and hopefully going stock can maybe get you back running. Maybe one of the partitions failed to update or something, and flashing the full image can help. Just remember to remove the "-w" flag in the batch / shell file or it'll wipe your data!!!

Edit: oh, this is probably pretty important, were you already running Magisk v22.0? Magisk Manager is completely revamped in 22.0, and I wouldn't be surprised if you would have problems if running older Magisk Manager with Magisk 22.0. If you were still on 21.x and Manager 8.x, I would flash last months firmware (-w removed, blah blah), update to Magisk 22.0, and then run the OTA... Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: vdevl and fuarkgl3

fuarkgl3

Nov 16, 2014
Booted my old ssd with windows 10 just to update from feb to march.

Everything fine so far using your files (y) no idea whats wrong with my new Windows ssd tho lol

daobn24

Aug 1, 2010
I'm also getting the "no valid slot to boot" both with the self patched boot image and the one posted here.

Tried this command "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img --slot all" did not work.

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
Nope! did not work!

I can boot with Cleanstate kernel also. Just not Magisk. also tried to patch cleanstate but the patched version wont boot.

Were you already on Magisk 22.0 before updating?

Either way, flash this month's factory dtbo and boot images to their respective partitions. See if you can boot. Could be working the way you described because another installation patched your dtbo and it needs to be reverted.

If you were on Magisk 21.x before updating, upgrade Magisk Manager (now just Magisk.apk) to 22.0. Make sure to follow all warnings on Magisk's changelog (if Magisk Manager app package was hidden before, unhide before updating).

Flash the Magisk 22.0 patched boot image. Flash either the one in the OP or patch it yourself using Magisk (Manager) 22.0. Boot the phone. If it works, flash kernel in EX / FR KM.

Also please let me know if you were on Magisk 22.0 or 21.x before updating. I wanna know if this could cause problems as I mentioned previously.

neomasterpt

Aug 12, 2011
Were you already on Magisk 22.0 before updating?

Either way, flash this month's factory dtbo and boot images to their respective partitions. See if you can boot. Could be working the way you described because another installation patched your dtbo and it needs to be reverted.

If you were on Magisk 21.x before updating, upgrade Magisk Manager (now just Magisk.apk) to 22.0. Make sure to follow all warnings on Magisk's changelog (if Magisk Manager app package was hidden before, unhide before updating).

Flash the Magisk 22.0 patched boot image. Flash either the one in the OP or patch it yourself using Magisk (Manager) 22.0. Boot the phone. If it works, flash kernel in EX / FR KM.

Also please let me know if you were on Magisk 22.0 or 21.x before updating. I wanna know if this could cause problems as I mentioned previously.
Still does not work.
And yes I was on v22.

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
New Jersey
Still does not work.
And yes I was on v22.

But you can boot stock? Did you try booting in safe mode yet?

If you can't even boot to safe mode while Magisk patched boot is installed, as a last resort, and may be overkill because unfortunately I don't physically have access or know your whole setup, download the Feb 2021 full factory image. Flash it with the "-w" flag removed so you don't lose data. Install Magisk 22.0 apk, patch the stock boot file (for Feb 2021) and flash it. Hopefully it boots back to your previous state on Feb 2021 firmware before attempting upgrade.

Now we can try 2 different directions. Overkill version: open Magisk Manager and (complete) uninstall. Now take the OTA as per OP instructions and hopefully it boots now. You should be rooted but now with no modules installed.

Or, try disabling any potential modules that may be causing problems before updating again. Reboot once fully after disabling before doing upgrade. I would recommend disabling anything that targets SystemUI, as well as Ed/LS-posed. Or perhaps it could be an Xposed module itself.

Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT!! THESE FILES / THIS THREAD IS FOR PIXEL 4 XL "CORAL" ONLY, NOT PIXEL 4 "FLAME"!!

**IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO PATCH THE STOCK BOOT IMAGE YOURSELF, FROM YOUR OWN DEVICE, USING MAGISK MANAGER. WHILE THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THE FILE I PROVIDED BELOW WILL BE IDENTICAL (USE A FILE HASH CHECKSUM TOOL IF YOU'RE CURIOUS), THERE IS ALSO A CHANCE THEY MAY HAVE SMALL, BUT SIGNIFICANT, VARIANCES**
    Thanks for the info and link, @wrongway213
    Link to @topjohnwu's post: twitter dot com /topjohnwu/status/1272136975022084097?s=19 (until I figure out how to stop new XDA from forcing the URL to embed a giant twitter posting in the middle of the post...)

ALL FILES BELOW ARE FOR "RQ2A.210305.006, Mar 2021"!
    Magisk v22.0 Patched Boot Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746586
    Factory Untouched Boot Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746583
    Factory Untouched DTBO Image: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145746585

----------------------------------------------
    -------------UPDATE PROCESS BELOW-------------
    ----------------------------------------------​

EASY UPDATE / SEAMLESS KEEP-ROOT UPDATE PROCESS (using a PC - a very intuitive, effective, and relatively safe method).
    ** You can only follow this guide verbatim if coming EXACTLY from build "11.0.0 (RQ1A.210205.004, Feb 2021)". But the general idea is the same for other builds, you just need the correct files for your device.

coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-dtbo.img: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145727318
    coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-boot.img: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17248734326145727317
    March 2021 sideload OTA zip: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/coral-ota-rq2a.210305.006-c7e59bf8.zip

DO NOT BOOT BACK INTO O/S UNTIL ALL STEPS ARE COMPLETED - THIS ENSURES EVERYTHING BOOTS BACK UP WITH MAGISK / EDXPOSED ALL RUNNING PROPERLY RIGHT AWAY

1. boot into bootloader
    ----------------
    ** I was on custom kernel, so I needed to flash BOTH the stock boot and dtbo images
    2. fastboot flash boot coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-boot.img
    3. fastboot flash dtbo coral-rq1a.210205.004-factory-dtbo.img
    ......* these steps to restore stock recovery; dtbo.img also necessary for some kernel installations.
    ......* won't hurt to flash both anyway, so if you're unsure, go ahead and do both.
    -----------------
    4. use volume keys to change selection to boot to Recovery Mode
    ......- when you reach the android symbol with No Command, hold power button, tap volume up, in case you've forgotten
    5. choose option "Apply update from ADB"
    6. adb sideload coral-ota-rq2a.210305.006-c7e59bf8.zip
    7. Once the OTA sideload is done, Reboot to bootloader (you'll also notice it's now on the other slot after OTA flashed)
    8. fastboot flash boot coral-rq2a.210305.006-magisk_patched-22.0.img
    9. done, start the phone
    (Optional - Flash custom kernel. If you had a custom kernel, you need to re-flash it)

This is a 100% seamless update that requires no additional / re-setup of any of my Magisk or EdXposed setups. All of the factory files can be found here https://developers.google.com/android/images. boot.img and dtbo.img are in their corresponding full Factory Image zips, and the ota zip is under Full OTA Images.

-------------------------------------------------
    -------------------TROUBLESHOOTING-------------------
    -------------------------------------------------​

Issues after updating?

If you end up unable to boot or bootlooping afterwards, you most likely have an old Magisk module that isn't playing nice with the new build. There are 2 main things you can do:

1. Flash the new factory untouched boot image. You will of course lose root, and all modules will be disabled. However, it should at least get you able to boot back up quickly and have a working phone if you're in a bind.

2. I would recommend checking Tulsadiver's thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4-xl/how-to/magisk-modules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3990557
    Instead of reverting to stock boot image, fastboot boot (NOT FLASH) Tulsadiver's boot image. This will boot your phone in Magisk Core-Only Mode, with all modules disabled but root retained. From here you can open Magisk Manager and disable suspect modules. Before rebooting, go to Magisk Manager's settings and disable Magisk Core-Only Mode. Once you disable the incompatible module, the phone should boot back up.
    - See this post (or thread) for more tips / context / an example:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82509691&postcount=16
    Since Magisk v21.x, Core Only mode has been replaced by using Android's built-in Safe Mode. Booting into Safe Mode should essentially boot you back into your system but with all modules disabled (as well as Magisk Hide). Keep in mind that even after you reboot, modules will remain disabled, unless you re-enable them first. Also remember to re-enable Magisk Hide if you had it enabled before.

Please see @Didgeridoohan's guide for more details: https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk/MagiskModuleIssues#hn_Core_Only_Mode

It's also worth mentioning, his guide is extremely well-made and contains a lot of useful information that could benefit all Magisk users and modders. I highly recommend looking through it anyway!

Did you get this sorted out?

I would try flashing the stock boot image and see if you can get in.

Maybe can also try flashing the full factory image with the -w removed in the script file. Just run stock first (don't replace the boot.img with the Magisk patched boot) to make sure it's not Magisk related.

I hate to bring potential bad news, but I had something similar happen, twice now. Though not exactly as described. Both times I had to full wipe too... First time, I woke up to my phone being completely out of space, and while I could unlock, I would only have a few seconds (seemingly random) to use the phone before it would freeze and reboot. I thought maybe it had to do with the phone running out of space at the time.

When it happened again a few months later, my phone had plenty of space. But like last time, phone would boot up, I would unlock, and then it would run like crap until eventually forced rebooting. Trying all combinations of stock / Magisk / modified boot images, flashing full firmware (with -w removed), rolling back to previous firmware... Nothing worked and eventually it just got stuck at the G logo. Had to full wipe at that point, but luckily I had backups of my important stuff.

First time happened on Android 10, second time happened on Android 11. Weird. There's actually a thread I read a while back with people describing the same issue, and ultimately seems like only a full wipe fixed it.

Oh and one last thing - for me, while I can't prove it, both times it happened shortly after I installed the Storage Isolation / Redirect (Riru) app / module... Didn't occur to me until later that maybe that somehow messed with some permissions related to System UI that even disabling the module later wouldn't fix. I use it on my other devices without issue, but I have since never installed it back on my P4XL and no problems in months. Also both times, Magisk Manager was also acting crazy, and I couldn't flash new modules or anything. It kept saying it didn't have storage permissions, even though it did, and no amount of uninstalling / reinstalling / etc would bring it back to a working state. Again why I somewhat suspect Storage Isolation was causing some weird stuff to happen...

But since it only happened to you after updating, hopefully it's something else, and hopefully going stock can maybe get you back running. Maybe one of the partitions failed to update or something, and flashing the full image can help. Just remember to remove the "-w" flag in the batch / shell file or it'll wipe your data!!!

Edit: oh, this is probably pretty important, were you already running Magisk v22.0? Magisk Manager is completely revamped in 22.0, and I wouldn't be surprised if you would have problems if running older Magisk Manager with Magisk 22.0. If you were still on 21.x and Manager 8.x, I would flash last months firmware (-w removed, blah blah), update to Magisk 22.0, and then run the OTA... Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you!
    Did you try flashing the patched img to both slots?
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img --slot all
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone