Update Nexus 7 to 4.3 from 4.2.2 (root + unlocked bootloader) KEEP DATA

Search This thread

toni_gon

Aug 21, 2012
I updated to 4.3 with the rooted ROM from Androguide.fr but lost SU along the way, oddly enough I was able to boot into recovery and reflash Update SU v1.51, I assume I never lost root, but all is well now.

jfmcbrayer

May 9, 2011
hi, i have custom kernel (franco) and recovery. Can i use this method to update to 4.3? :confused:

Yes, but you will end up with the new stock kernel, and whatever recovery you flash during the last part of the instructions. If you follow the instructions exactly, you'll end up with a rooted, fully stock 4.3 with your existing data preserved. You can then flash the new franco kernel (r75). You may then have to re-flash SuperSU 1.51 to re-root, as some people lose root after flashing the new franco kernel. It should stick after you re-flash SuperSU, though.

Last edited:

ShadowOf

Aug 29, 2012
Yes, but you will end up with the new stock kernel, and whatever recovery you flash during the last part of the instructions. If you follow the instructions exactly, you'll end up with a rooted, fully stock 4.3 with your existing data then preserved. You can then flash the new franco kernel (r70). You may then have to re-flash SuperSU 1.51 to re-root, as some people lose root after flashing the new franco kernel. It should stick after you re-flash SuperSU, though.

Thanks for replying...I only know how it worked in my case. I couldn't answer.

techn0mage

Aug 13, 2013
Unfortunately, bricked?

I own the Nexus 7 (2012), WiFi only. I rooted it, in the process I ended up with clockworkmod recovery and twrp and SuperSU installed. CWM recovery was the designated recovery mode at the time I tried the update. I received the notice of the OTA 4.3 update, did a full backup (from CWM), and tried to install 4.3 from the OTA notification. But the install failed. The device booted normally but I did a restore to before I even attempted the update anyway, and searched for the 'right' way to do this. (The OTA update notification is back, since I restored everything).

Unfortunately these instructions did not seem to work for me. My bootloader reported success in updating but did not actually update - and now the device is not reachable via ADB and does not respond to any button presses, I think it is powered on in a 'frozen' state.

I have the command window open showing what I did and I will paste it here. I am doing this from git-bash under Windows 7 x64

Code:
$ adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
015d490699180801        device
--(So far, so good)

Code:
$ adb reboot-bootloader
--(Seemed to work, device shows green android with the hatch open)

Code:
$ dir
sh: dir: command not found
--(Oops, I often do this)

Code:
$ ls
AdbWinApi.dll     NOTICE.txt  api          fastboot.exe    source.properties
AdbWinUsbApi.dll  adb.exe     deljava.txt  nakasig-jwr66v

$ ls nakasig-jwr66v/
bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img  flash-all.sh   image-nakasig-jwr66v.zip
flash-all.bat                flash-base.sh  radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img
--(So this is what I've got)

Code:
$ fastboot flash bootloader nakasig-jwr66v/bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img
sending 'bootloader' (2100 KB)...
OKAY [  0.270s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  1.232s]
finished. total time: 1.504s
--(Success, right? Actually, WRONG, keep reading)

Code:
$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.020s]
finished. total time: 0.021s
--(Seemed to work. But what I didnt notice YET is that the bootloader still identifies as "GROUPER" when I just flashed "TILAPIA", supposedly)

Code:
$ fastboot update nakasig-jwr66v/image-nakasig-jwr66v.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 4.23
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: 015d490699180801
checking product...
FAILED

Device product is 'grouper'.
Update requires 'tilapia'.

finished. total time: 0.182s
--(OK, now I look again at the bootloader screen and can see it says 'grouper' in micro print. So what to do? Maybe try flashing bootloader again?)

Code:
OKAY [  0.264s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  1.222s]
finished. total time: 1.488s

OKAY [  0.020s]
--(Should work, right? Well, bootloader still says grouper. Maybe I should power cycle the device to get the bootloader update to 'take'?)

Unfortunately powering off the device from the bootloader was the last time I interacted with the device. Since the N7 has no LED, I cannot tell if it is powered on or off. When I plug it into USB chargers, it does not show the 'charging' indicator on screen, and the computer I did this flashing from now sees it as 'Unknown Device', driver installation failed, so I believe it is powered on. I am going to attempt to access it via ADB on a different pc.

Code:
$ adb devices
List of devices attached

It is entirely possible that I noobed something up, and I would be appreciative of any help offered.

Gster09

Feb 26, 2011
I own the Nexus 7 (2012), WiFi only. .
Code:
OKAY [  0.270s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  1.232s]
Code:
checking product...
FAILED

Maybe I missed what it is you're trying to do exactly, so let me just make some observations...

A) The 2012 Nexus 7 WiFi is known as the Grouper device and your WiFi model will need the "nakasi" builds.
B) Based on the above, you should flash a Grouper bootloader image (unless they're the same), and
C) Your system image (*.zip) should be the "nakasi" version, looks like you're trying the "nakasig" which is for the mobile device.

I think you've mixed and matched your images so that may be causing the issue(s). Does that make sense? Hope this helps.

freddy0872

Dec 26, 2010
Lowellville
I own the Nexus 7 (2012), WiFi only. I rooted it, in the process I ended up with clockworkmod recovery and twrp and SuperSU installed. CWM recovery was the designated recovery mode at the time I tried the update. I received the notice of the OTA 4.3 update, did a full backup (from CWM), and tried to install 4.3 from the OTA notification. But the install failed. The device booted normally but I did a restore to before I even attempted the update anyway, and searched for the 'right' way to do this. (The OTA update notification is back, since I restored everything).

Unfortunately these instructions did not seem to work for me. My bootloader reported success in updating but did not actually update - and now the device is not reachable via ADB and does not respond to any button presses, I think it is powered on in a 'frozen' state.

I have the command window open showing what I did and I will paste it here. I am doing this from git-bash under Windows 7 x64

Code:
$ adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
015d490699180801        device
--(So far, so good)

Code:
$ adb reboot-bootloader
--(Seemed to work, device shows green android with the hatch open)

Code:
$ dir
sh: dir: command not found
--(Oops, I often do this)

Code:
$ ls
AdbWinApi.dll     NOTICE.txt  api          fastboot.exe    source.properties
AdbWinUsbApi.dll  adb.exe     deljava.txt  nakasig-jwr66v

$ ls nakasig-jwr66v/
bootloader-tilapia-4.23.img  flash-all.sh   image-nakasig-jwr66v.zip
flash-all.bat                flash-base.sh  radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img
--(So this is what I've got)

Code:
OKAY [  0.270s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  1.232s]

Code:
OKAY [  0.020s]
--(Seemed to work. But what I didnt notice YET is that the bootloader still identifies as "GROUPER" when I just flashed "TILAPIA", supposedly)

Code:
checking product...
FAILED

--(OK, now I look again at the bootloader screen and can see it says 'grouper' in micro print. So what to do? Maybe try flashing bootloader again?)

Code:
OKAY [  0.264s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  1.222s]
finished. total time: 1.488s

OKAY [  0.020s]
--(Should work, right? Well, bootloader still says grouper. Maybe I should power cycle the device to get the bootloader update to 'take'?)

Unfortunately powering off the device from the bootloader was the last time I interacted with the device. Since the N7 has no LED, I cannot tell if it is powered on or off. When I plug it into USB chargers, it does not show the 'charging' indicator on screen, and the computer I did this flashing from now sees it as 'Unknown Device', driver installation failed, so I believe it is powered on. I am going to attempt to access it via ADB on a different pc.

Code:
$ adb devices
List of devices attached

It is entirely possible that I noobed something up, and I would be appreciative of any help offered.

Yea your flashing for tilapia. The tilapia device is the nexus 7 3g model. You have grouper.... Which is the wifi version.

You cannot mix and match their files! That goes for roms. Recoveries. Or bootloader!

Look for grouper files and you'll be all set!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Gster09

Feb 26, 2011
Look for grouper files and you'll be all set!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I just realized that when you follow the link on the OP to the images, it can look like the one you want is the 'nakasig' because of the way the page loads on a browser.

Here is the link from the same page, but specifically for the nakasi JWR66V build. (That means WiFi model and Android 4.3) ;)

techn0mage

Aug 13, 2013
Turns out I really did noob it

Hi all- first off I want to thank everyone who got back to me. While researching this on my own I've determined that those who posted replies were apparently correct, and although the news is not good, I do appreciate the help I was able to get here.

The TL:DR of this is that if you erase or otherwise corrupt the bootloader on a Nexus 7 device, it goes into something called 'APX' mode and can only be recovered by the manufacturer. This is what I did and so the device is on the way back to ASUS for a warranty claim (I told them it happened after I said "OK" to the OTA update to 4.3... there is a rumor going around that this actually has legitimately happened to some non-modding unsuspecting users).

I'm going to give a quick explanation of what happened for the purpose of 1) helping anyone else who finds this thread in google as I did, and 2) maybe satisfying the morbid curiosity of anyone reading this thread :) No one else is responsible or anything like that.

The first thing I was ignorant of is that the grouper/tilapia code name distinction refers to the hardware, NOT the software. So in my mind, trying to go from grouper to tilapia did not set off any warnings. Likewise for the issue of flashing the radio. I thought I should just skip that step, I did not see it as a warning that the package I downloaded had an image for the radio.

The absolutely fatal mistake I made was indeed picking the 'nakasig' image from the list instead of the 'nakasi' image. Unfortunately the way the page loaded, I did not consider the possibility that there would be more than one category for 'Nexus 7' images, which I would see if I scrolled the page up. I assumed that whatever came before the 'Nexus 7' category that I was looking at would be a completely different device altogether.

So, in summary, if you are new at this and want to flash the bootloader, know your device hardware codename, and don't do what I did.

ShadowOf

Aug 29, 2012
techn0mage sorry you got the wrong Images. Good reminder to everyone that flashing is dangerous business.

HAVE YOU TRIED flashing 4.2.2 then installing CWM, flashing your backup to regain your data, then trying this again?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
So, in summary, if you are new at this and want to flash the bootloader, know your device hardware codename, and don't do what I did.

It's always better to have a basic knowledge before starting to flash.
Btw. as far as I know if you flash a wrong bootloader is not the real problem, but booting in to it is.

techn0mage

Aug 13, 2013
techn0mage sorry you got the wrong Images. Good reminder to everyone that flashing is dangerous business.

HAVE YOU TRIED flashing 4.2.2 then installing CWM, flashing your backup to regain your data, then trying this again?

Hello,

I certainly appreciate your suggestion. Though I have proven myself worthy of the title of grand noob I will give what I think is the correct answer to your question - unfortunately after flashing the wrong bootloader it is impossible to flash -anything- ever again because ADB no longer sees the device. The device is in something called 'APX' mode which in theory can be used by the vendor to re-flash the entire device, however no one has succesfully reverse engineered APX mode for the Nexus 7 series of devices yet. For devices where this HAS been figured out, people seem to be using something called NVFLASH to get the job done.

If only it WERE possible to flash anything, I would say the solution would be to flash the correct bootloader then flash an appropriate factory image. But this is unfortunately impossible now and some others on the internet refer to this state for the N7 as 'deep bricked'

ShadowOf

Aug 29, 2012
Hello,

...unfortunately after flashing the wrong bootloader it is impossible to flash -anything- ever again because ADB no longer sees the device. The device is in something called 'APX' mode which in theory can be used by the vendor to re-flash the entire device, however no one has successfully reverse engineered APX mode for the Nexus 7 series of devices yet.

...But this is unfortunately impossible now and some others on the internet refer to this state for the N7 as 'deep bricked'

Sorry & best of luck with the warranty claim. After your issue I added a BOLD warning next to the 4.3, CWM, and TWRP download links.

Again, I'm sorry your N7 wasn't recoverable.

TfzSCVang

Jan 26, 2011
Hey guys, I have the wifi nexus 7, followed all the steps listed with the correct images (nakasi) but after step 10 it is stuck @ the boot animation screen... its been there for about 40 minutes... is that normal or should I shut it down?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium HD app

Kerusker

Nov 26, 2009
Many thanks for your instructions - worked for me without problems.
N7 (2012) 32GB WiFi only, A4.2.2 unlocked, rooted --> A.4.3 unlocked, rooted
I did not have to unlock again.

Today though I got the indication: 'System update downloaded' (OTA).
Is there a new update (a fix for N7 2013)?

Gster09

Feb 26, 2011
Many thanks for your instructions - worked for me without problems.
N7 (2012) 32GB WiFi only, A4.2.2 unlocked, rooted --> A.4.3 unlocked, rooted
I did not have to unlock again.

Today though I got the indication: 'System update downloaded' (OTA).
Is there a new update (a fix for N7 2013)?

It's definitely a new update, a minor one since the file is only 1.74MB. The update takes you from JWR66V to JWR66Y though I am not sure of what specifically changed, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was a security-related patch.

Edit: I took the OTA on my rooted WiFi N7 (2012), with TWRP recovery and locked bootloader. It installed and took me to JWR66Y. However, I lost root and custom recovery. In the past CWM disabled the recovery flash and kept root, so I don't know if TWRP just doesn't do as well, or if this particular patch is "smarter."

Last edited:

Spco

Jan 13, 2012
I had this error on the nexus 7, "signature mismatch", when i'm at step 8.
on the command prompt, i got the following:

sending 'bootloader' (1280 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.206s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
finished. total time: 0.305s

My n7 is rooted, boot unlocked and on stock rom.

Can any one help me?
I'm trying to upgrade JWR66Y from JWR66V and i'm having the exact same issue. Any help please?

N7 rooted, unlocked and stock.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Nexus 7 [WiFi] was rooted on 4.2.2, unlocked bootloader, but stock rom, stock system (as far as I remember). I couldn't find a walkthrough so I'll make one with my experience.

I found a walkthrough for Nexus 4, so minus the download packages and the radio img it was the same. This worked for me on my mac, I hope this helps you.

In the end I didn't lose any data, still have unlocked bootloader and rooted with CWM Touch Recovery & SuperSU (you can replace with TWRP)

Directions ("XXX/" = file path to platform-tools folder)

1. You must have Android SDK installed. Download it here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
    2. UNZIP and you will see a bunch of folders. The one we are interested in is the subfolder "platform-tools". You may copy it to an easier location if you want.
    3. Download the factory image 4.3 for your Nexus 7: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    4. Unzip the 4.3 image file you downloaded and copy all its content to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
    5. Plug your Nexus 7 into your computer with USB debugging (activate it in "About Phone" and touch "Build number" 6 times, it will activate a "Developer Options" menu where you will be able to activate "USB debugging")
    6. Verify ADB is working. Open a terminal and type "XXX/adb devices"
    7. Reboot your device into fastboot mode: type in terminal "XXX/adb reboot-bootloader"
    8. Type:
    "XXX/fastboot flash bootloader XXX/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build)
    9. If you have "WiFi Only" skip to step 10; for Mobile/GSM flash radio type:
    "XXX/fastboot reboot-bootloader"
    "XXX/fastboot flash radio XXX/radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img" (img name depends on your build)
    10. Type:
    "XXX/fastboot reboot-bootloader"
    "XXX/fastboot update XXX/image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip" (zip name depends on your build)

It will then reboot (takes a while) and then you will be in Android 4.3 with all your data preserved.

Then if you want to root:

1. On your computer, download CWM or TWRP recovery from here: CWM Dwnld or TWRP Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    2. Place the image file you downloaded in your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
    3. Connect your Nexus 7 (debug mode) and put it in fastboot mode (step 7 above)
    4. In the terminal type: "XXX/fastboot flash recovery XXX/FILENAME.img (replace FILENAME by the file name of the CWM/TWRP file you just downloaded)
    5. Reboot your device
    6. Download directly to your device the most recent SuperSU file: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    7. Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select
    8. Once you are in recovery mode select "Install ZIP", look for SuperSU file you just downloaded and follow instructions to flash the zip file.
    9. Reboot your device

That's it!

Thanks to jipi: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2377691

Already updated to 4.3 and have an OTA notificaion? (JWR66Y from JWR66V)
    Here is the easy, no-nonsense way of installing the OTA on Nexus 7, no PC or cables needed.

NOTE: This will ONLY work on totally stock but rooted. If you changed anything else at all, then you will need to load stock to get the OTA patch to work.

1. Download the OTA file to your device. You can find a link in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1745781 (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    2. Download directly to your device the most recent SuperSU file: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    3. Open the SuperSU app and select Full Unroot.
    4. Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select.
    5. Once you are in recovery mode select "Install ZIP", look for OTA file you just downloaded and follow instructions to flash the zip file.
    6. WITHOUT rebooting, install the SuperSU file again using "Install ZIP".
    7. Reboot your device

(8/24/13) Update: Added directions to updating to the latest build, avoiding the OTA and loosing root.

(8/15/13) Update: Updated link to factory image to better show options for download, was going straight to the 4.3 WiFi link. Added a warning to the factory image and CWM/TWRP download links, to verify you are downloading the image for YOUR device. Good luck and happy flashing.
    Turns out I really did noob it

Hi all- first off I want to thank everyone who got back to me. While researching this on my own I've determined that those who posted replies were apparently correct, and although the news is not good, I do appreciate the help I was able to get here.

The TL:DR of this is that if you erase or otherwise corrupt the bootloader on a Nexus 7 device, it goes into something called 'APX' mode and can only be recovered by the manufacturer. This is what I did and so the device is on the way back to ASUS for a warranty claim (I told them it happened after I said "OK" to the OTA update to 4.3... there is a rumor going around that this actually has legitimately happened to some non-modding unsuspecting users).

I'm going to give a quick explanation of what happened for the purpose of 1) helping anyone else who finds this thread in google as I did, and 2) maybe satisfying the morbid curiosity of anyone reading this thread :) No one else is responsible or anything like that.

The first thing I was ignorant of is that the grouper/tilapia code name distinction refers to the hardware, NOT the software. So in my mind, trying to go from grouper to tilapia did not set off any warnings. Likewise for the issue of flashing the radio. I thought I should just skip that step, I did not see it as a warning that the package I downloaded had an image for the radio.

The absolutely fatal mistake I made was indeed picking the 'nakasig' image from the list instead of the 'nakasi' image. Unfortunately the way the page loaded, I did not consider the possibility that there would be more than one category for 'Nexus 7' images, which I would see if I scrolled the page up. I assumed that whatever came before the 'Nexus 7' category that I was looking at would be a completely different device altogether.

Used same instructions for updating to 4.4, rooting and keeping data and it worked perfect.
    It's definitely a new update, a minor one since the file is only 1.74MB. The update takes you from JWR66V to JWR66Y though I am not sure of what specifically changed, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was a security-related patch.

Edit: I took the OTA on my rooted WiFi N7 (2012), with TWRP recovery and locked bootloader. It installed and took me to JWR66Y. However, I lost root and custom recovery. In the past CWM disabled the recovery flash and kept root, so I don't know if TWRP just doesn't do as well, or if this particular patch is "smarter."

Not sure if you've regained root privilege. I doubt your boot loader locked so you should be able to follow the rooting steps to change recovery and gain root access:

Then if you want to root:

1. On your computer, download CWM or TWRP recovery from here: CWM Dwnld or TWRP Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    2. Place the image file you downloaded in your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
    3. Connect your Nexus 7 (debug mode) and put it in fastboot mode (step 7 above)
    4. In the terminal type: "XXX/fastboot flash recovery XXX/FILENAME.img (replace FILENAME by the file name of the CWM/TWRP file you just downloaded)
    5. Reboot your device
    6. Download directly to your device the most recent SuperSU file: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
    7. Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select
    8. Once you are in recovery mode select "Install ZIP", look for SuperSU file you just downloaded and follow instructions to flash the zip file.
    9. Reboot
    I had this error on the nexus 7, "signature mismatch", when i'm at step 8.
    on the command prompt, i got the following:

sending 'bootloader' (1280 KB)...
    OKAY [ 0.206s]
    writing 'bootloader'...
    FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
    finished. total time: 0.305s

My n7 is rooted, boot unlocked and on stock rom.

Can any one help me?

I'm trying to upgrade JWR66Y from JWR66V and i'm having the exact same issue. Any help please?

N7 rooted, unlocked and stock.

For anyone having this issue, replace the bootloader .img file with the one in this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45043044&postcount=15

You should be good to go, oh and thanks for uploading the fix, Spco :good: