Update Nexus 7 to 5.0 from 4.4.4 (root + unlocked bootloader) KEEP DATA

Search This thread

ShadowOf

Aug 29, 2012
This is a "re-tread" of a post I previously made, taking an account of the steps I took to successfully update my Nexus 7 from 4.4.4 to 5.0. Note: This is for an unlocked bootloader, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader you will lose your data; consider TiBackup.

My Nexus 7 [WiFi] was rooted on 4.4.4, unlocked bootloader, but stock rom, stock system (as far as I remember). I couldn't find a walkthrough so I'll make one with my experience. This worked for me on my Mac, I hope this helps you.

In the end I didn't lose any data, still have unlocked bootloader and rooted with CWM Recovery & SuperSU (you can replace with TWRP recovery or CWM Touch if desired)

Directions ("./" = file path to platform-tools folder, if you 'cd' to that location the "./" will pull that location in the terminal)

1. You must have Android SDK installed. Download it here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
2. UNZIP and you will see a bunch of folders. The one we are interested in is the subfolder "platform-tools". You may copy it to an easier location if you want.
3. Download the factory images 4.4 (KRT16S) (4.4 required, see HERE, Google broke its own bootloader) and 5.0 (LRX21P) for your Nexus 7: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi (WARNING: Download the correct images for YOUR device, Nexus 7 Wi-Fi vs Mobile)
4. Unzip the 4.4 image file you downloaded and copy "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build) to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are). (WARNING: the bootloader image in 5.0 is broken see HERE)
5. Unzip the 5.0 image file you downloaded and copy all content, except for "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img," to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
6. Plug your Nexus 7 into your computer with USB debugging (activate it in "About Phone" and touch "Build number" 6 times, it will activate "Developer Options" menu where you will be able to activate "USB debugging")
7. Open terminal and "cd" to the platform-tools folder
8. Verify ADB is working type "./adb devices"
9. Reboot your device into fastboot mode: type in terminal "./adb reboot-bootloader"
10. Type:
"./fastboot flash bootloader ./bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build)
11. If you have "WiFi Only" skip to step 12; for Mobile flash radio type:
"./fastboot reboot-bootloader"
"./fastboot flash radio ./radio-XXXXXXXX.img" (img name depends on your build)
12. Type:
"./fastboot update ./image-nakasi-lrx21p.zip" (zip name depends on your build)

It will then reboot (takes a while, 5-10 minutes on boot animation, then it must update App info, another 5-10 miuntes) and then you will be in Android 5.0 with all your data preserved.

Then if you want a custom recovery:

1. On your computer, download CWM, CWM Touch, or TWRP recovery from here: CWM Dwnld or TWRP Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
2. Place the image file you downloaded in your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are)
3. Connect your Nexus 7 (debug mode) and put it in fastboot mode (step 9 above): type in terminal "./adb reboot-bootloader"
4. In the terminal type:
"./fastboot flash recovery ./FILENAME.img" (replace FILENAME.img by the file name of the CWM/TWRP file you just downloaded)
5. Verify Recovery - Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select (Note: if you get an Android on his back you still have stock recovery, retry Steps 1-4. I flashed CWM, CWM Touch. and TWRP with no success, plugged my cable into a different USB port and got it first try; try different cables and ports)

Then if you want a root:

Note: If you don't have an unlocked bootloader you will lose data. Already unlocked should be fine, when you boot there should be an open lock at the bottom of the screen below the Google logo. On PC WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit might be your best option, for me on Mac it is not available so this is what I did.

1. On your computer, download CF-Auto-Root from here: Auto Root Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
2. Unzip the CF-Auto-Root file you downloaded and copy all its content to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are)
3. Connect your Nexus 7 (debug mode) and put it in fastboot mode (step 9 above): type in terminal "./adb reboot-bootloader"
4. Type: (Note: Step 4 commands need to be run as Admin)
"chmod +x root-mac.sh"
"ls -al"
"./root-mac.sh"
5. Follow on-screen prompt and type your Mac User Account password and ENTER
6. Let the phone go through its thing (Red Android screen), it will reboot when complete.

That is it!

Thanks to Phil Tech: http://youtu.be/IPg_FGbeyq0
Thanks to jipi: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2377691

Good luck and happy flashing.

cylgalad

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks ! I did that, more or less adapted. The result was just awefully slow, so I had to do a wipe to start with a clean slate.
Android, the new Windows: reinstall every 6 months....

papars

Dec 12, 2008
I've followed the procedure on w8.1 64bit.
All went well but I lost adb after 5.0 finally booted. So I could not install root through NRT (1.9.8).
Adb mode was recognised in windows device manager but adb commands failed with no device found.
Suprisingly fastboot was working.

The solution was to uninstall NRT and adb drivers and reinstall them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a "re-tread" of a post I previously made, taking an account of the steps I took to successfully update my Nexus 7 from 4.4.4 to 5.0. Note: This is for an unlocked bootloader, if you don't have an unlocked bootloader you will lose your data; consider TiBackup.

My Nexus 7 [WiFi] was rooted on 4.4.4, unlocked bootloader, but stock rom, stock system (as far as I remember). I couldn't find a walkthrough so I'll make one with my experience. This worked for me on my Mac, I hope this helps you.

In the end I didn't lose any data, still have unlocked bootloader and rooted with CWM Recovery & SuperSU (you can replace with TWRP recovery or CWM Touch if desired)

Directions ("./" = file path to platform-tools folder, if you 'cd' to that location the "./" will pull that location in the terminal)

1. You must have Android SDK installed. Download it here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
    2. UNZIP and you will see a bunch of folders. The one we are interested in is the subfolder "platform-tools". You may copy it to an easier location if you want.
    3. Download the factory images 4.4 (KRT16S) (4.4 required, see HERE, Google broke its own bootloader) and 5.0 (LRX21P) for your Nexus 7: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasi (WARNING: Download the correct images for YOUR device, Nexus 7 Wi-Fi vs Mobile)
    4. Unzip the 4.4 image file you downloaded and copy "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build) to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are). (WARNING: the bootloader image in 5.0 is broken see HERE)
    5. Unzip the 5.0 image file you downloaded and copy all content, except for "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img," to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
    6. Plug your Nexus 7 into your computer with USB debugging (activate it in "About Phone" and touch "Build number" 6 times, it will activate "Developer Options" menu where you will be able to activate "USB debugging")
    7. Open terminal and "cd" to the platform-tools folder
    8. Verify ADB is working type "./adb devices"
    9. Reboot your device into fastboot mode: type in terminal "./adb reboot-bootloader"
    10. Type:
    "./fastboot flash bootloader ./bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build)
    11. If you have "WiFi Only" skip to step 12; for Mobile flash radio type:
    "./fastboot flash radio ./radio-XXXXXXXX.img" (img name depends on your build)
    12. Type:
    "./fastboot update ./image-nakasi-lrx21p.zip" (zip name depends on your build)

It will then reboot (takes a while, 5-10 minutes on boot animation, then it must update App info, another 5-10 miuntes) and then you will be in Android 5.0 with all your data preserved.

Then if you want a custom recovery:

1. On your computer, download CWM, CWM Touch, or TWRP recovery from here: CWM Dwnld or TWRP Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    2. Place the image file you downloaded in your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are)
    4. In the terminal type:
    "./fastboot flash recovery ./FILENAME.img" (replace FILENAME.img by the file name of the CWM/TWRP file you just downloaded)
    5. Verify Recovery - Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select (Note: if you get an Android on his back you still have stock recovery, retry Steps 1-4. I flashed CWM, CWM Touch. and TWRP with no success, plugged my cable into a different USB port and got it first try; try different cables and ports)

Then if you want a root:

Note: If you don't have an unlocked bootloader you will lose data. Already unlocked should be fine, when you boot there should be an open lock at the bottom of the screen below the Google logo. On PC WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit might be your best option, for me on Mac it is not available so this is what I did.

1. On your computer, download CF-Auto-Root from here: Auto Root Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
    2. Unzip the CF-Auto-Root file you downloaded and copy all its content to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are)
    4. Type: (Note: Step 4 commands need to be run as Admin)
    "chmod +x root-mac.sh"
    "ls -al"
    "./root-mac.sh"
    5. Follow on-screen prompt and type your Mac User Account password and ENTER
    6. Let the phone go through its thing (Red Android screen), it will reboot when complete.

That is it!

Thanks to Phil Tech: http://youtu.be/IPg_FGbeyq0
    Thanks to jipi: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2377691

Good luck and happy flashing.
    Thanks for the effort.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone