Update on LG Official Pie Development

Search This thread

mateus.sc

Aug 10, 2014
Just saw on lg.bbs forum the LG OTA FIRMWARES PUBLISH DATA page, whom lists:

LGH930AT-V28g-EUR-XX-APR-24-2019 and
LGH930AT-V29a-EUR-XX-MAY-02-2019 for EURO OPEN H930.
and
LGH930DSAT-V29d-HKG-XX-MAY-16-2019 for HONG KONG H930DS.

Analizing the build number and dates I do think we will have our Pie slices next month :D

Reactions: Noobkid77 and KushK

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Just saw on lg.bbs forum the LG OTA FIRMWARES PUBLISH DATA page, whom lists:

● LGH930AT-V28g-EUR-XX-APR-24-2019 and
● LGH930AT-V29a-EUR-XX-MAY-02-2019 for EURO OPEN H930.
and
● LGH930DSAT-V29d-HKG-XX-MAY-16-2019 for HONG KONG H930DS.

Analizing the build number and dates I do think we will have our Pie slices next month :D
No. That's not Pie (for the public). If you look at the file name, you'll see why.

Come on. I've said this over and over:

And as I said there will be plenty of warning -- Korean carriers will get it first. It won't be a "surprise" in some random update.

Also Pie KDZ for V30 will start with 30-something range of numbers. Like Nougat was 10, and Oreo was 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: fSatoru and KushK

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Interesting. I thought pie would start with 30.
Yes it will. This isn't Pie. Pie will start with 30a (or something very close like that in the 30's, maybe even 31a.)

Also, Korean carriers will get it first. Not Europe or Hong Kong.

And as I said there will be plenty of warning -- Korean carriers will get it first. It won't be a "surprise" in some random update.

Also Pie KDZ for V30 will start with 30-something range of numbers. Like Nougat was 10, and Oreo was 20.

Last edited:

mateus.sc

Aug 10, 2014
No. That's not Pie. If you look at the file name, you'll see why.

Come on. I've said this over and over:

Of course this is! Just isn't the final v30a, but eventually will be. The development of LG's firmwares always happened this way. Before v10a we have the betas v09a, v09b, v09c and so on.. So by logic V29a/b/c/d is the beta Pie for V30a/b or V31a/b or how they want to name it.

Did you even opened the site before doing your post here? The What_new information even says "Update Content Android OS Upgrade". I think it funny because you are talking like you own the truth lol

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Of course this is! Just isn't the final v30a, but eventually will be. The development of LG's firmwares always happened this way. Before v10a we have the betas v09a, v09b, v09c and so on.. So by logic V29a/b/c/d is the beta Pie for V30a/b or V31a/b or how they want to name it.

Did you even opened the site before doing your post here? The What_new information even says "Update Content Android OS Upgrade". I think it funny because you are talking like you own the truth lol
I know what both Nougat and Oreo were called, and no we didn't have 09a, 09b. This phone was released with 10a Nougat. Period.

Yeah, INSIDE LG there was probably pre 10a for testing, pre-production firmware - which I would not want on my phone whatsoever.

You don't even provide any sort of link to your information. I just know the naming convention for Nougat, Oreo and Pie on our phones.

If 29 is their buggy internal beta testing, it's not what we will get nor what we want. 30a will be first Pie or 30-something.

And Korean variants will get it first. Just like they got it first ALWAYS. But most recently with V35. Korean variants V35 has Pie while no other V35 does yet.

Whenever the Korean v30 variants get Pie then the rest of us will start getting it a month later...

Sent via open market LG US998 V30/V30+

Last edited:
Reactions: tech_infinity

mateus.sc

Aug 10, 2014
I know what both Nougat and Oreo were called, and no we didn't have 09a, 09b. This phone was released with 10a Nougat. Period.
Yeah, INSIDE LG there was probably pre 10a for testing, pre-production firmware - which I would not want on my phone whatsoever.
You don't even provide any sort of link to your information. I just know the naming convention for Nougat, Oreo and Pie on our phones.
If 29 is their buggy internal beta testing, it's not what we will get nor what we want. 30a will be first Pie or 30-something.
And Korean variants will get it first. Just like they got it first ALWAYS. But most recently with V35. Korean variants V35 has Pie while no other V35 does yet.
Whenever the Korean v30 variants get Pie then the rest of us will start getting it a month later...

Well, talking about Korean models the most recent info is not what I call good news.. it's a 1880.98MB sized internal OTA, named LGMV300SAT-V28a-SKT-KR-MAY-13-2019-256G, with build date May 13, and analizing the build version sequence v28a looks like is going to take more than a while until a stable release comes out to the KR public.. sadly

You can check by yourself here: http://www.lgbbs.com.cn/plugin.php?id=lg_ota&search=v300&page=1
Your welcome

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, talking about Korean models the most recent info is not what I call good news.. it's a 1880.98MB sized internal OTA, named LGMV300SAT-V28a-SKT-KR-MAY-13-2019-256G, with build date May 13, and analizing the build version sequence v28a looks like is going to take more than a while until a stable release comes out to the KR public.. sadly

You can check by yourself here: http://www.lgbbs.com.cn/plugin.php?id=lg_ota&search=v300&page=1
Your welcome
Thanks for the link.

When Korean variants get 30a, weeks later other variants should start receiving it. See the V35 thread for Korean Pie screenshots. Non-Korean V35 have been able to Partition DL to Korean Pie, and everything works. Not sure if that will be the same for V30. I know European and Korean V30 radios are incompatible.

https://xdaforums.com/lg-v35/how-to/flashed-korean-pie-kdz-to-att-v35-t3930662/page4

Korean variants V35 have had Pie for weeks now. Others are still waiting for official Pie, but the Partition DL trick works for now, for them.

Last edited:

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
HTC Desire HD
OnePlus 2
Thanks for the link.

When Korean variants get 30a, weeks later other variants should start receiving it. See the V35 thread for Korean Pie screenshots. Non-Korean V35 have been able to Partition DL to Korean Pie, and everything works. Not sure if that will be the same for V30. I know European and Korean V30 radios are incompatible.

https://xdaforums.com/lg-v35/how-to/flashed-korean-pie-kdz-to-att-v35-t3930662/page4

Korean variants V35 have had Pie for weeks now. Others are still waiting for official Pie, but the Partition DL trick works for now, for them.

Except it turns out like for the V40... Verizon got the Update first, before the korean one (and tbh, that surprised me a lot).
But yeah, those 28a and whatsoever builds are internal test builds, and im sure arent the first and only ones lol

Pie is in testing for many months already (i think devtester (broken now) showed internal updates once in february or march? because of an LG ****up)

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

Your welcome

Yeah those are internal Pie test builds, but they are not public releases normal people will get as OTA updates.

I'm just very tired of people asking if every OTA update is PIE. ;) It's not Pie -- for us -- until it's at least 30A.

If the point of this thread is that LG is beta testing Pie, I would hope they've been doing that for months now. So that's not really news. No regular users will get the builds posted at the top of this thread. If you had explained that, there woudn't be this back and forth.

"Hey folks, here's more proof LG is BETA TESTING PIE. No these are not the builds we will get. Those will start with 30a."

Also, until proven otherwise, Korea carrier variants will get it first. See below.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Except it turns out like for the V40... Verizon got the Update first, before the korean one (and tbh, that surprised me a lot).
Especially when the LG is right now following their normal procedure with the V35: Korea first, rest of the world later. I think V40 (and ESPECIALLY Verizon) has to be a strange anomaly. (Unless there's something in the LG/Verizon contract we don't know about.)

• For the V30, Verizon was the carrier who need TWO updates (20a and 20b) to get everything everyone else got (Oreo + ThinQ) in 20a a year ago. Verizon are laggards when it comes to updates -- even more so than LG!
  • Over on the Moto Droid Turbo (Verizon's name for Moto Quark), took Verizon until late December one year to get Marshmallow when all the other Moto Quarks got it in July of that year.
    FIVE extra months, for no valid reason. Oh, I know the reason -- it was to help Verizon sell more phones. And even then their update had bugs so bad, they had to stop the update to fix stuff, then restarted it a couple of weeks later. So, what were they doing for five months? :rolleyes: They just sat on it, wasn't even testing it. Because due to the build numbers, we could tell Motorola had given Verizon the update in July, like everyone else. Verizon just didn't want to release it until after all the Q3/Q4 back-to-school sales/ Holiday sales had passed. Because Droid Turbo with Marshmallow (two years after release) still beat all of Verizon's other newer Android phones at the time. :p So, Verizon delayed the Droid Turbo Marshmallow update to try to force Verizon users to update to newer phones which had Marshmallow.

Last edited:

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
HTC Desire HD
OnePlus 2
I checked a few more models on that site, G710EM (European G7) for example already had 20a OTAs, or some a 20b, but nothing officially released, so i assume they either found critical bugs (as G710EM pie kernel source got published, but got taken down again), or its actually really close to actual release.

Reactions: tech_infinity

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
This is great news! I'm sure we'll have it before July at the latest. I hope they make some decent changes to the LG UI and not just port what we have to Pie. I doubt it though :\

From the screenshots for the V35 Pie, it's just porting what we have to Pie. Go to the link below to see V35 Korean Pie screenshots.

View attachment 4764457

View attachment 4764458

View attachment 4764459

View attachment 4764460

View attachment 4764461

View attachment 4764462

Not much change in UI.
-Secondary keyboard keys are a bit funky
-I would consider the circled stuff as bloat/useless
-Ringtone menu items are in Korean
-Running apps slides have rounded edges

Phone runs pretty damn smooth with same/good SOT. I'm on TMobile in Los Angeles & LTE is fast.

Non-Korean V35 have been able to Partition DL to Korean Pie, and everything works. Like U.S. T-Mobile... Not sure if that will be the same for V30. For instance, I know European and Korean V30 radios are incompatible.

Korean variants V35 have had Pie for weeks now. Others will get it in the near future.. At least for U.S. users the Partition DL trick works for now, for them.

Last edited:

SirLaughsalot

Sep 3, 2015
Houston
Hey thanks for the info! Kind of a bummer, but I can understand.
All that's left is the wait.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Hey thanks for the info! Kind of a bummer, but I can understand.
All that's left is the wait.

Reactions: mateus.sc

TheCoryGuy

Apr 9, 2016
giphy.gif

mateus.sc

Aug 10, 2014
What really call my attention in this site is the fact they claim to have access to the actual dlpkgfile.zip of all this listed updates, and they sell it through paypal, coverting yuans to $.
As the 17 years old brazilian boy that I'm, I don't have a international credit card yet to give it a try, unfortunately.

eu3ukm.jpg

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
As the 17 years old brazilian boy that I'm, I don't have a international credit card yet to give it a try, unfortunately.

When we travel to Brazil, what's strange is even the domestic airlines on their websites won't take "international" (to us, "regular") credit cards --- but instead only take "Brazilian" credit cards. (Or at least they didn't, haven't been back in 3 years) So, we had friends in Brazil pay with their "domestic" credit card, then we pay them back. I think we used TAM airlines to travel from Sao Paulo to Cuiabá. Friends picked us up then drove us to Capão Grande.

Here in the U.S. all credit cards can be used for anything, inside or outside the country. Yes, you may have to notify your credit card company you intend to purchase something in another country, if you don't do it on a regular basis.

So, S.C. is Santa Catarina? Haven't been there but Sao Paulo and surrounding area, plus Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul. Also several days in fishing village on the coast in state of Rio de Janeiro -- but haven't actually been to city of Rio de Janeiro (yet). Capão Grande, Mato Grosso is very beautiful area -- lots of agriculture, free space, but high on a plateau.

Been to Brazil 6 times in 10 year span, each time for about 2 weeks.

Sorry for off topic.

Last edited:

gimpy1

Sep 1, 2013
Flagstaff
OT...Chazz, how do you use your phone when you travel out of the US and in these other countries? Do you buy and use international/local SIM cards or use plans put in place by your carrier? I'm flying this weekend to London for a couple of weeks and am unsure which is the best way to do this.
Thx.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
OT...Chazz, how do you use your phone when you travel out of the US and in these other countries? Do you buy and use international/local SIM cards or use plans put in place by your carrier? I'm flying this weekend to London for a couple of weeks and am unsure which is the best way to do this.
Thx.

Last time we went to Brazil (3 years ago), we still had our Moto Quarks. Because my wife doesn't want to spend time in cell phone stores trying to buy local SIMs and her having to translate for me, instead I bought two "business traveler" SIM cards off a website. Was guaranteed to work in like 80 different countries (including U.S. and Brazil), and they have agreements with local carriers in all those countries. Here in the U.S. they use AT&T.

So, I was able to activate the SIM cards HERE and try them out on our phones, double check the APN settings, etc before going to Brazil. (Be careful when doing that as some of the cards are only good for two weeks; ours were good for a month. I didn't test them until a week or so away from our trip.) I then put our "regular" SIM cards back in our phones until we got on the plane to Brazil. During the flight, I put the "business traveler" SIM cards in and when we landed, we had cell phone signal through a local carrier.

I think I used this website, or something very similar:

https://www.mrsimcard.com/s-travelsim.html

For you going to London, on that page see the TravelSim Classic COMBO EU package (2nd choice):
____
TravelSim Classic COMBO EU package
Period 14/dy Plan
VOLUME DATA 1GB 4G
Talk / Text + International Cost
FREE incoming Calls / Text + 100 Mins + 100 SMS $25

(However on that plan you would have to activate when you got to Europe, as it's only for Eurpe -- which is OK as long as you know. I got one that included South America and U.S.)
____

OR do Ctrl + F to search on that web page for "United Kingdom" to see the various packages and compare between them.

I noticed as we traveled around the country it would change to various carriers. Sometime Oi, sometimes TIM, etc -- I guess depending on who had best coverage in that area. Brazil is as large as the continental U.S., just turned sideways. Sao Paulo city is larger than New York city.

The SIM cards I bought were good for 30 days, but you can buy others that are good for 2 weeks. Just depends on what you need. In the two weeks we were there, I almost ran out of data on my card. I could have just bought more through the website, but instead I just swapped SIM cards with my wife. Ha!

To be clear, this option was more for convenience and peace of mind than just pure cost. A local SIM card is always cheaper -- but I was able to TEST this out before I left the U.S. and I knew when we landed our phones would be working. I was able to call my sister back here in the U.S. from the airport to let her know we arrived safely. Texts also worked. I have Google Voice and basically just needed a data connection for phone calls and texts -- but these SIM cards also provide a separate phone number. Unlike international carrier roaming charges, I knew EXACTLY what the cost was and paid it in advance. If you need more data, you can purchase more.

Last edited:
Reactions: fSatoru and gimpy1

SGCMarkus

Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2011
HTC Desire HD
OnePlus 2
What really call my attention in this site is the fact they claim to have access to the actual dlpkgfile.zip of all this listed updates, and they sell it through paypal, coverting yuans to $.

eu3ukm.jpg

i thought of getting one of these... but idk if i can use the ota zip at all... ?
aka force an ota update thats "not made" for my phone
otas are sadly delta updates... so just extracting it wont work

mateus.sc

Aug 10, 2014
When we travel to Brazil, what's strange is even the domestic airlines on their websites won't take "international" (to us, "regular") credit cards --- but instead only take "Brazilian" credit cards. (Or at least they didn't, haven't been back in 3 years) So, we had friends in Brazil pay with their "domestic" credit card, then we pay them back. I think we used TAM airlines to travel from Sao Paulo to Cuiabá. Friends picked us up then drove us to Capão Grande.

Here in the U.S. all credit cards can be used for anything, inside or outside the country. Yes, you may have to notify your credit card company you intend to purchase something in another country, if you don't do it on a regular basis.

So, S.C. is Santa Catarina? Haven't been there but Sao Paulo and surrounding area, plus Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul. Also several days in fishing village on the coast in state of Rio de Janeiro -- but haven't actually been to city of Rio de Janeiro (yet). Capão Grande, Mato Grosso is very beautiful area -- lots of agriculture, free space, but high on a plateau.

Been to Brazil 6 times in 10 year span, each time for about 2 weeks.

Sorry for off topic.

Yeah, at least in credit card preferences seems like we're patriots kkkk
SC in my username is from Samuel Colt, from Supernatural lol
I live in São Paulo, and I think its really impressive that you know more places in my country than I do. Next time you visit us, you may consider some northeast places to visit.. there are plenty of white sand and marin green seas views, a real sight for sore eyes.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey @br0adband
    Let's please return to the original topic of this thread: "Updates for LG Official Pie".
    If you guys want to carry on discussing pixel camera and debate that -> there's a seperate thread for that or simply go on private messages.
    i thought of getting one of these... but idk if i can use the ota zip at all... ?
    aka force an ota update thats "not made" for my phone
    otas are sadly delta updates... so just extracting it wont work

I have the tools needed to convert a delta update to a full update -- so if someone has a credit card that will work on that site, I will be willing to pay for it.

My OP7 Pro hasn't arrived, so I am still kicking with my US998 for now ;)

-- Brian
    For those people that stick to and focus on the delays in the monthly security patches that Google pushes out, think of this for a moment:

Is your device currently compromised? Do you even know? Would you even know how to discover it's compromised? Are you fully apprised of each and every possible exploit that exists for Android right now this moment? Do you subscribe to the security sites that publish information about such exploits? Is the only thing that matters to you these monthly security patches that Google pushes out to OEMs?

is your device "infected" by something right now at this exact moment in time that happened or was able to infect your device because it's using a security patch from a few months ago that didn't cover the infection of exploit?

No?

Then what the hell are you crying about?

All I ever see are people complaining about the lack of security patch updates and yet nobody is actively complaining "OMFGWTFBBQ, my device is infected... I've been exploited..." or words to that effect and yet our devices work just fine.

You have to realize that when Google pushes out a security patch it's out of their hands at that point and it's up to device manufacturers to release it past that point, yes, this is a well known fact. But those device manufacturers have to test it on their devices pretty thoroughly before they can allow it to be pushed out as an OTA or downloadable update for any given devices 'cause if they just pass it on immediately to their end users that own their devices and it screws something up for a portion of their customers that just makes things WORSE for not only those customers, but others that are considering applying said patches/updates not to mention the device manufacturer as well.

Seriously, stop whining, it's old - it's been old for a long long time now and yet it still happens. If you want "on time" security patches and updates, buy a Google device, or go buy a used Essential Phone or something ('cause Andy Rubin's team has very close ties with Google which is the primary reason that device gets it's own updates so quickly), or maybe something from BlackBerry (same principle).

Geez, man, get over it. I've used LG devices for years, I've used Samsung devices for years, I used to use Motorola devices but to Hell with 'em for screwing over their customers so many times (I'm an original 1st day Atrix and Bionic owner screwed both times for Android major updates, and apparently they just announced last week they're not going to provide the major update for some of their current or recent flagships all over again). I've owned devices from most every major manufacturer and NONE of them have ever suffered any kind of exploit or infection or malware related to a delayed security patch update.

And I don't know a single person that has either.

I don't buy Google devices except for the original Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 6 but those were used and at crazy insane prices that I couldn't pass up but were sold quickly afterward for profit But if you absolutely MUST have the latest and greatest and you want those monthly security patches and updates the moment they're available, get a Google device and stop your incessant whining about it for LG, Samsung, etc.

I mean really, grow up, will ya? :D
    No, what we said was official Pie would at least start with 30a or 30-something.

If they're already up to H930 30b without general public release, then something was found to be wrong with 30a and it was just late beta.

Exactly... basically V30a was a Release Candidate, it was in testing, they found a critical error, thats why V30b was released... thats now in testing again, and if stable (or whatever else the reason was they had to fix stuff) it will release to all european H930s in probably 2 - 4 weeks (depends how long they end up testing, but thats the general timespan between compile date and release date based on history).
    Thank you, if you can share 29a file for H870 :good::good:

If you are to sell the up file to the ignorant people and slander the innocent person like me, I won't share the link that you want.