How To Guide Update OS by flashing via fastboot (stock recovery)

Search This thread
So you have a notification telling you that MIUI has an update available - great! Unfortunately the process in the Magisk OTA Upgrade Guide doesn't work for this phone, for some reason even after "uninstalling" Magisk the updater still refuses to apply the OTA update.

If you have installed a custom recovery then you may be able to apply the update through that, but I'll assume that you've followed this guide to root and are still using the stock recovery.

Updating is a 3 step process:

- Flash updated firmware.
- Patch new boot.img.
- Flash patched boot.img.

We'll be doing a "dirty" flash, which keeps your device storage intact. This should be fine for minor updates, however if the phone won't boot then you'll need to do a clean flash which will wipe your phone, so you should backup your data using a tool like Titanium Backup before proceeding.

Flash updated firmware:
- In the Updater app find the MIUI version that it wants to install (e.g. MIUI-V13.0.8.0.RKEEUXM).​
- visit the MIUI Updates Tracker and download the matching Stable Fastboot update (if you can't find it read Extract boot.img from Payload below).​
- unzip the TGZ and the TAR that it contains.​
- connect your phone and run adb reboot bootloader to enter fastboot.​
- run the flash_all_except_data_storage.bat script to flash the updated firmware. Your phone will reboot when it's done.​
- (optional) if your phone won't boot then you'll need to perform a "clean" flash. Enter fastboot again and run the flash_all.bat script (this will wipe your data).​

Patch new boot.img
- push the new boot.img to the phone using adb push .\images\boot.img /sdcard (you'll need to have selected "File transfer/Android Auto" in the "Use USB for" prompt on the phone).​
- in the Magisk App click Install in the Magisk tile, tap Select and Patch a File, select the boot.img file, and tap Let's Go.​
- pull the magisk_patched-*.img from the phone using adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched-*.img .\.​

Flash patched boot.img
- boot into fastboot mode once again using adb reboot bootloader.​
- flash the patched image using fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-*.img
- reboot using fastboot reboot

Happy hacking!

Extract boot.img from Payload​

If you can't find a fastboot image (boot.img) for your version then you might be able to extract it from the full firmware package. This will require the use of a third party tool such as payload-dumper (python) or payload-dumper-go. Note that you may be better off just waiting for the fastboot image to be released to the public.

Last edited:

xn0live

Dec 22, 2012
I found only zip file but where i found the fastboot rom for V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM?

weim1

Dec 23, 2011
I managed to updated to (V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM) while rooted using the updater app. You are not able to download the update but you can apply the update by choosing the file from local storage and you need to obtain the file from a third party. If you follow Magisk's guide you can keep the root and you don't need a PC

xn0live

Dec 22, 2012
Ich habe es geschafft, auf (V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM) zu aktualisieren, während ich mit der Updater-App gerootet war. Sie können das Update nicht herunterladen, aber Sie können das Update anwenden, indem Sie die Datei aus dem lokalen Speicher auswählen, und Sie müssen die Datei von einem Drittanbieter beziehen. Wenn Sie der Anleitung von Magisk folgen, können Sie das Stammverzeichnis behalten und benötigen keinen PC
Ich habe die ZIP-Datei V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM und root.

How do u install it, can u said?

weim1

Dec 23, 2011
Ich habe die ZIP-Datei V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM und root.

How do u install it, can u said?
After the update some apps weren't working right so I don't know how successful my method was that's why I haven't respond. It could be that I updated with the de-bloater module on and it may be the reason that everything was messed up. If you want I can tell you what to do but no guarantees

xn0live

Dec 22, 2012
After the update some apps weren't working right so I don't know how successful my method was that's why I haven't respond. It could be that I updated with the de-bloater module on and it may be the reason that everything was messed up. If you want I can tell you what to do but no guarantees
yeah it would be nice

weim1

Dec 23, 2011
yeah it would be nice
First you need to download the update zip. I used the MIUI Downloader app from play store. Disable all the magisk modules from magisk manager and reboot. Then follow the official Magisk Ota upgrade guide but don't uninstall magisk. You need to enable a secret menu in the updater app to be able to install zips from storage. Just tap the MIUI 13 logo in the middle of the screen multiple times an you are ready. Load the file by opening the menu in the top right corner. Wait for the installation to finish and do not reboot the phone. Go to magisk and install to inactive slot then you can reboot.
Ps. Please backup all your data just in case something goes wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-17-04-981_com.android.updater.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-17-04-981_com.android.updater.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-16-54-736_com.android.updater.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-22-15-16-54-736_com.android.updater.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 11

xn0live

Dec 22, 2012
As mentioned on the other thread, this isn't available yet. I've updated the post to note how you can extract it from the payload file of full firmware .zips, but personally I'd just wait.
V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM fastboot is there

i have root, is it possible to flash it, but i do not want lost my data or other spaces, possible?

V13.0.6.0.SKEMIXM fastboot is there

i have root, is it possible to flash it, but i do not want lost my data or other spaces, possible?
You may be able to "dirty" flash it by following the instructions in the OP, but you should back-up your data in case it doesn't work and you need to fully "clean" flash afterwards.

Jun 27, 2019
Moto X4
POCO M3
I started bootlooping (at this point its become a joke to me lol) again right after flashing the patched boot img. Then I remembered from your magisk installation tutorial about this step :
flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
I entered this command and boom I booted back to miui and it has been updated along with magisk running just fine.
I don't know if this happened just to me, but you can add that vbmeta flashing step in your tutorial.
Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So you have a notification telling you that MIUI has an update available - great! Unfortunately the process in the Magisk OTA Upgrade Guide doesn't work for this phone, for some reason even after "uninstalling" Magisk the updater still refuses to apply the OTA update.

If you have installed a custom recovery then you may be able to apply the update through that, but I'll assume that you've followed this guide to root and are still using the stock recovery.

Updating is a 3 step process:

- Flash updated firmware.
    - Patch new boot.img.
    - Flash patched boot.img.

We'll be doing a "dirty" flash, which keeps your device storage intact. This should be fine for minor updates, however if the phone won't boot then you'll need to do a clean flash which will wipe your phone, so you should backup your data using a tool like Titanium Backup before proceeding.

Flash updated firmware:
    - In the Updater app find the MIUI version that it wants to install (e.g. MIUI-V13.0.8.0.RKEEUXM).​
    - visit the MIUI Updates Tracker and download the matching Stable Fastboot update (if you can't find it read Extract boot.img from Payload below).​
    - unzip the TGZ and the TAR that it contains.​
    - connect your phone and run adb reboot bootloader to enter fastboot.​
    - run the flash_all_except_data_storage.bat script to flash the updated firmware. Your phone will reboot when it's done.​
    - (optional) if your phone won't boot then you'll need to perform a "clean" flash. Enter fastboot again and run the flash_all.bat script (this will wipe your data).​

Patch new boot.img
    - push the new boot.img to the phone using adb push .\images\boot.img /sdcard (you'll need to have selected "File transfer/Android Auto" in the "Use USB for" prompt on the phone).​
    - in the Magisk App click Install in the Magisk tile, tap Select and Patch a File, select the boot.img file, and tap Let's Go.​
    - pull the magisk_patched-*.img from the phone using adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched-*.img .\.​

Flash patched boot.img
    - boot into fastboot mode once again using adb reboot bootloader.​
    - flash the patched image using fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-*.img
    - reboot using fastboot reboot

Happy hacking!

Extract boot.img from Payload​

If you can't find a fastboot image (boot.img) for your version then you might be able to extract it from the full firmware package. This will require the use of a third party tool such as payload-dumper (python) or payload-dumper-go. Note that you may be better off just waiting for the fastboot image to be released to the public.