[Update] Pre-rooted stock 6.2.1 update (secure and unsecure boot images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
I've put together a rooted version of the stock 6.2.1 update if anyone wants to have at it. I flashed this on my own Fire with TWRP and it boots and runs fine, but I haven't done any other testing. Shouldn't need to wipe /data if you're coming from a 6.2 system, not sure about other ROMs like CM. Of course, I highly recommend you make a backup before flashing (good habit, and all that). To install just put it onto your Fire's /sdcard partition, boot into TWRP and install the zip. Note that TWRP will complain that it can't find the /misc or /sd-ext partitions. This is normal, those partitions don't exist on the Fire, but it won't affect the installation.

I downloaded the stock zip from the link in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20509203&postcount=91 and then I changed the following from the stock zip file:

• Removed the bootloader and recovery.img updates
  • Removed the backup_data.zip because it doesn't make sense, really (it looks like it just extracts to /backup/, but if you flash it it will wipe your /data partition?)
  • Added busybox, Superuser and the su binary. Should be properly symlinked and permissions set correctly.
  • Modified the updater-script for the above things.

Additionally, if you have the Market installed you may need to re-install it after updating since Amazon didn't do this as a patch - it just formats /system and replaces it. If you updated the Market manually then the newer version should survive in /data/app. Also, if you installed any custom frameworks or libraries (e.g. the maps framework to use Google Currents and whatnot) then you'll need to reinstall those. Basically, anything you added or modified on /system will be gone.

Edit: Thanks sadlius for pointing me to dsixda's kitchen! I've added a version with an unsecure boot image (so you get root by default on a shell). I'll leave the old one in case anyone would prefer the secure boot image. I've also uploaded the boot image itself for anyone who might have already flashed the secure 6.2.1 zip. I tried it with fastboot and it booted up fine, so you can test it first with:

Code:
fastboot boot 6_2_1rootboot.img

If it works, you can flash it (permanently overwrites your current boot partition) with:

Code:
fastboot flash boot 6_2_1rootboot.img

Downloads

MOD EDIT: Links no longer valid so removed.

Multiupload, courtesy sadlius:
update-6.2.1-rooted-secureboot.zip
Stock rooted update 6.2.1, secure boot image
update-6.2.1-rooted-unsecureboot.zip
Stock rooted update 6.2.1, unsecure boot image

Multiupload, courtesy intel352 (md5's should be the same):

Multiupload:
6_2_1rootboot.img Unsecure 6.2.1 boot image

Original Downloads:
Removed these so Dropbox won't yell at me anymore :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sadalius

Dec 3, 2009
First attempt at installing I get:
E:Cannot load volume /misc!
E:Unable to stat '/sd-ext/.'
E:Unable to open zip file.

But I think I know what the problem is. Will attempt again in a few minutes. Or as soon as TWRP relinquished control of my KF back to me.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
First attempt at installing I get:

But I think I know what the problem is. Will attempt again in a few minutes. Or as soon as TWRP relinquished control of my KF back to me.

I got the "Cannot load volume /misc!" error, too, but it seems to be okay anyway. The KF simply doesn't have a /misc partition.

Curious that it can't open the zip, though, but I'll wait until after your second attempt to try troubleshooting.

sadalius

Dec 3, 2009
I got it figured out. Somehow, the file was corrupted when I transferred it to the KF. Deleted it and re-transferred, it took it that time. Will report any positives or negatives once I get back to the actual OS and play around with it.

Thanks a bunch!!

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Yes. Everything I've tried so far works great!!

I do have one question though. I used to cook my own roms from OEM releases back when I had an HTC hero. May I ask what you used to root this with?

Last edited:

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
I got it figured out. Somehow, the file was corrupted when I transferred it to the KF. Deleted it and re-transferred, it took it that time. Will report any positives or negatives once I get back to the actual OS and play around with it.

Thanks a bunch!!

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Yes. Everything I've tried so far works great!!

I do have one question though. I used to cook my own roms from OEM releases back when I had an HTC hero. May I ask what you used to root this with?

I do it manually. The update had a .bin extension but it was really a .zip, so I renamed it, extracted it, and made the modifications I wanted (like adding su/Superuser). Then I just re-zipped it.

Don't know if it's the most "efficient" way to do it, but it's straightforward enough and it's how I've always done it...

sadalius

Dec 3, 2009
Wonder if dsixda's android kitchen would work on it. If it would, it would automatically make the boot.img unsecured through the root process. Not sure if it will handle it though.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
HI,
is there someway for me to flash this using fastboot? Because im stuck in fastboot and can't get out of it!

Edit: Pointed out in another post - the system image might be too big to flash via fastboot (like I said, I've never actually tried to use these). If you can get into fastboot you can try flashing a recovery, though, and then use that to try dd'ing the system image over or something.

Edit 2: Took down links since I exceeded my Dropbox bandwidth.

Last edited:

dueltothedeath

Feb 23, 2011
Can anyone verify this works? I mean the 6.2.1 pre rooted update zip

Sent from my Triumph using XDA App

Last edited:

fbm111

Oct 15, 2010
Yes, I can. Works pretty well too. You'll get some error messages, but those shouldn't be an issue. When I installed it those error messages kind scared me, but once someone explained them, I felt a little better.

Anychance you could explain them to me? Working for me as well just curious what they mean.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
Wonder if dsixda's android kitchen would work on it. If it would, it would automatically make the boot.img unsecured through the root process. Not sure if it will handle it though.

Maybe I'll look into that tonight or tomorrow when I've got some time. I actually didn't know that the kitchen created an unsecured boot image for you. Thanks!

sadalius

Dec 3, 2009
Anychance you could explain them to me? Working for me as well just curious what they mean.

When I first tried to install I got these error messages:

since the kindle fire does not have a /misc volume or /sd-ext/ partition, it would give those errors. Those are nothing to worry about. The last error, Unable to open zip file was a real error, but it was cause when I transferred the file to flash to the KF, it got corrupted somehow. I just deleted it from the kindle using file expert and re-transferred it then tried flashing again. All was well at that point. I still got the cannot load volume /misc! and unable to stat '/sd-ext' but like I said, those do not exist on the kindle, thus the messages. But it still installs correctly.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Maybe I'll look into that tonight or tomorrow when I've got some time. I actually didn't know that the kitchen created an unsecured boot image for you. Thanks!

I took a quick look at it with your rom. It recognizes everything you've done to the ROM thus far. Have a look:

Android OS version : 2.3.4
Device : blaze
Model : Full Android on Blaze or SDP
ROM Name : L27.12.1-P1_QUANTA_20110422_quantaonly-1027-gefdcdf8

Rooted (Superuser.apk + su) : YES
Rooted (unsecured boot.img) : NO
BusyBox installed : YES
BusyBox run-parts support : NO
Apps2SD (Apps to EXT) enabled : NO
/data/app enabled : NO
Custom boot animation allowed : NO
Nano text editor installed : NO
Bash shell support : NO
/system/framework is deodexed : YES
/system/app is deodexed : YES
radio.img found : NO
ROM will wipe all data : NO

I don't have time to try it out with the stock rom, if I get time tomorrow I'll give it a go to see if it will work with it or not to make the boot.img unsecured. This maybe just what the doctor ordered to keep a stock rooted rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: eldarerathis

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
I flashed it and I don't really notice much of a difference, although my android market still works even tho this update obviously removed it as a system app but the update in /data/app still works.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
I took a quick look at it with your rom. It recognizes everything you've done to the ROM thus far. Have a look:

I don't have time to try it out with the stock rom, if I get time tomorrow I'll give it a go to see if it will work with it or not to make the boot.img unsecured. This maybe just what the doctor ordered to keep a stock rooted rom.

I just tried using dsixda's kitchen to modify the boot image and it looks like it worked. I can boot it in fastboot at least! I'm going to package it up and try flashing it for some testing. Thanks a lot!

I flashed it and I don't really notice much of a difference, although my android market still works even tho this update obviously removed it as a system app but the update in /data/app still works.

It seems like a lot of little changes, so far. You can remove things from your carousel by long pressing them, and you can restrict certain access to your one-click and stuff. It also looks like the "Device" menu in settings got a little facelift because it lists "Application Storage" and "Internal Storage" separately (which I don't think it did before).

Last edited:

volwrath

Oct 10, 2006
Nashville
I flashed 6.2.1 unsecured .zip via twrp and received two E:Cannot load volume /misc! errors. I then wiped cache and dalvik, and booted up. Everything including Voodoo OTA root works fine. As you said though, google market was obliterated. I am about to put it back.

Edit: after sticking vending.apk back in /system/app and fixing permissions it appears everything is 100% back to order including market and running 6.2.1. I can't thank you enough. 6.2.1 feels much snappier, although it might be a placebo effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've put together a rooted version of the stock 6.2.1 update if anyone wants to have at it. I flashed this on my own Fire with TWRP and it boots and runs fine, but I haven't done any other testing. Shouldn't need to wipe /data if you're coming from a 6.2 system, not sure about other ROMs like CM. Of course, I highly recommend you make a backup before flashing (good habit, and all that). To install just put it onto your Fire's /sdcard partition, boot into TWRP and install the zip. Note that TWRP will complain that it can't find the /misc or /sd-ext partitions. This is normal, those partitions don't exist on the Fire, but it won't affect the installation.

I downloaded the stock zip from the link in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20509203&postcount=91 and then I changed the following from the stock zip file:

• Removed the bootloader and recovery.img updates
    • Removed the backup_data.zip because it doesn't make sense, really (it looks like it just extracts to /backup/, but if you flash it it will wipe your /data partition?)
    • Added busybox, Superuser and the su binary. Should be properly symlinked and permissions set correctly.
    • Modified the updater-script for the above things.

Additionally, if you have the Market installed you may need to re-install it after updating since Amazon didn't do this as a patch - it just formats /system and replaces it. If you updated the Market manually then the newer version should survive in /data/app. Also, if you installed any custom frameworks or libraries (e.g. the maps framework to use Google Currents and whatnot) then you'll need to reinstall those. Basically, anything you added or modified on /system will be gone.

Edit: Thanks sadlius for pointing me to dsixda's kitchen! I've added a version with an unsecure boot image (so you get root by default on a shell). I'll leave the old one in case anyone would prefer the secure boot image. I've also uploaded the boot image itself for anyone who might have already flashed the secure 6.2.1 zip. I tried it with fastboot and it booted up fine, so you can test it first with:

Code:
    fastboot boot 6_2_1rootboot.img

If it works, you can flash it (permanently overwrites your current boot partition) with:

Code:
    fastboot flash boot 6_2_1rootboot.img

Downloads

MOD EDIT: Links no longer valid so removed.

Multiupload, courtesy sadlius:
    Stock rooted update 6.2.1, secure boot image
    update-6.2.1-rooted-unsecureboot.zip
    Stock rooted update 6.2.1, unsecure boot image

Multiupload, courtesy intel352 (md5's should be the same):

Multiupload:
    6_2_1rootboot.img Unsecure 6.2.1 boot image

Original Downloads:
    Removed these so Dropbox won't yell at me anymore :)
    Anyone able to get adb shell to work on this?

I can not for the life of me get ADB to work...

It works for me. I'm using the unsecured boot image myself. Anyone else see this issue with not being able to get ADB to work with either of these pre-rooted roms?

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

I have uploaded both files here:

Pre-rooted 6.2.1 with secure boot image:
    http://www.multiupload.com/ULQ6FK1V71

Pre-rooted 6.2.1 with unsecure boot image:
    http://www.multiupload.com/GQCYQYNM3Q

Not sure if I uploaded them correctly though. If you have problems downloading, let us know and I'll see what I can do.
    It works for me. I'm using the unsecured boot image myself. Anyone else see this issue with not being able to get ADB to work with either of these pre-rooted roms?

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

I have uploaded both files here:

Pre-rooted 6.2.1 with secure boot image:
    Code:
    multiupload.com/ULQ6FK1V71

Pre-rooted 6.2.1 with unsecure boot image:
    Code:
    multiupload.com/GQCYQYNM3Q

Not sure if I uploaded them correctly though. If you have problems downloading, let us know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks sadalius, re-mirrored here, with more hosts even:

update-6.2.1-rooted-secureboot.zip:
    Code:
    multiupload.com/BOG3FAI7VP

update-6.2.1-rooted-unsecureboot.zip:
    Code:
    multiupload.com/FFZGGPWVNR
    Can someone explain a little better to me what the difference between the secure and unsecure image is? More in practical terms than technical ones

I did read this and understand it:

It's like the difference between being the owner of a company and being a manager.

With the unsecure version it's like you're the owner, you can do anything you want, but with the secure version you're just a manager and you have to ask the owner's permission to take over. Once the owner says you can take over then you can do anything the owner can do.

If your device is rooted then the owner will always says "yes" but you have to ask first, i.e. you have to run `su`. If your device isn't rooted when you ask to take over the owner will act like he doesn't know you and tell you to bugger off, i.e. the shell will say something like '-sh: su: command not found'.

It's more convenient to be the boss than to have to keep asking the boss for permission to be the boss but since you can do more damage as the boss it's less safe; it's unsecure.

When I first tried to install I got these error messages:

since the kindle fire does not have a /misc volume or /sd-ext/ partition, it would give those errors. Those are nothing to worry about. The last error, Unable to open zip file was a real error, but it was cause when I transferred the file to flash to the KF, it got corrupted somehow. I just deleted it from the kindle using file expert and re-transferred it then tried flashing again. All was well at that point. I still got the cannot load volume /misc! and unable to stat '/sd-ext' but like I said, those do not exist on the kindle, thus the messages. But it still installs correctly.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------