Question Update rooted A53 5G without losing userdata (Android 12)

Search This thread

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
Hello, I initially rooted my device (SM-A536B) with magisk. The process was unlocking the bootloader and flash patched AP (magisk) along with BL, CSC, etc. with Odin and perform a factory reset, as it was the initial rooting (firmware: A536BXXU2AVG1). Recently a new firmware (A536BXXU3AVGA) was released and I tried the same method using HOME_CSC. The result was a mandatory factory reset due to a boot loop. Everything else is working fine, despite that I had to recover all userdata from backups.

The question is: Has anyone figured out a way to flash new firmware (security patch e.g.) while maintaining all userdata, without having to perform a factory reset every time ? I am working with a productive device and can't test all scenarios.

Suggestions would be flashing only patched AP, patched AP with Home_CSC, deinstalling magisk prior to flashing or maybe something different.
Please share your experience.

Regards

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
Wow, I was under the impression that using HOME_CSC would be enough. I'll definitely keep an eye out on this thread to see if someone can explain a bit in detail why this didn't work.

My question to you would be, did you have any magisk modules installed?
If so, when it went into bootloop did you attempt to start the phone up in Safe mode so that it would disable all active magisk modules?

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
Wow, I was under the impression that using HOME_CSC would be enough. I'll definitely keep an eye out on this thread to see if someone can explain a bit in detail why this didn't work.

My question to you would be, did you have any magisk modules installed?
If so, when it went into bootloop did you attempt to start the phone up in Safe mode so that it would disable all active magisk modules?
I got the 'Systemless Hosts' module active, but no twrp or other custom recovery installed. I remember the phone went into a trimmed recovery after about three failed attempts to start up. There I was able to only view logs, restart or reset to factory state. I rebooted to regular recovery mode using power down+side key and cleared cache what didn't help, so I had to reset the phone. I don't think there was a safe mode feature available in the recovery menu. Maybe it is possible to tweak this with adb commands. Someone with a spare phone may test these scenarios ;)

ShaDisNX255

Apr 3, 2014
Matamoros
Samsung Galaxy A52 4G
I got the 'Systemless Hosts' module active, but no twrp or other custom recovery installed. I remember the phone went into a trimmed recovery after about three failed attempts to start up. There I was able to only view logs, restart or reset to factory state. I rebooted to regular recovery mode using power down+side key and cleared cache what didn't help, so I had to reset the phone. I don't think there was a safe mode feature available in the recovery menu. Maybe it is possible to tweak this with adb commands. Someone with a spare phone may test these scenarios ;)
Well to boot into safe mode you usually just have to hold the VOL DOWN key throughout the boot process. Keep it in mind, may be useful for the future.

Reactions: Andoreid

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
With Magisk v21, there’s a new feature that will automatically disable all modules when the device is booted into Safe Mode. The primary aim of this feature is to help users deal with rogue modules. I should have read this earlier :unsure:
(see here: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/uninstall-magisk-modules-in-twrp-recovery-guide/)

I can't tell if the modules remain disabled after rebooting normally because you cannot open 3rd party apps in safe mode. If not or removing them entirely is necessary, solution could be removing magisk modules with adb like mentioned on the site:
Code:
adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules
This should work even if USB debugging is off as long bootloader is unlocked.

This only works IF magisk modules are the problem with booting into os.

Additional info can be found here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...les-without-magisk-and-twrp-recovery.4394991/

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
Ok so we need test objects now :cool: Don't hesitate to write down your experience.
And Samsung should include the safe mode feature into the recovery mode !

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
Has anyone being rooted and using magisk updated to A536BXXU4AVH9 and experienced any flaws ?

hdsporty

Jan 7, 2021
Using the magisk file, AP, BL and the HOME_CSC, you can upgrade without losing anything
I did it yesterday on my A53

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
You mean AP mod, CP, BL and Home_CSC I suppose. Did you have to deactivate or deinstall any modules prior to the upgrade ?

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
Everything went well on my side too. Only difference was I activated USB debugging prior to the update as a precaution measure.

Andoreid

Aug 31, 2022
It wasn't necessary to disable or deinstall anything. Just flash the corresponding files with odin, I used v3.14.4. Good luck ;)

Reactions: josemaGL

josemaGL

Mar 15, 2015
VJ1 update without problems, this time usb debugging wasn't on.
Good afternoon Besides AP mod, BL, CP and Home_CSC, do you do anything else? do i have to flash any kernel? disable AVB? Is it necessary to do a factory reset?
It wasn't necessary to disable or deinstall anything. Just flash the corresponding files with odin, I used v3.14.4. Good luck ;)
Thanks! I'll try, see if there's any luck!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well to boot into safe mode you usually just have to hold the VOL DOWN key throughout the boot process. Keep it in mind, may be useful for the future.
    VJ1 update without problems, this time usb debugging wasn't on.