• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Update Rooted Tab S6 SM-T860 without wiping data using Odin

Search This thread

l7777

May 2, 2007
Normal disclaimers, I take no responsibility if things go sideways. While this worked for me you should probably backup anything you care about.

My tablet was only rooted with no TWRP. I haven't needed TWRP installed permanently for quite a while now.

1. Have working adb tools
  2. Download the current/updated firmware with frija or other tool
  3. Extract the firmware
  4. Adb push the AP_XXXX.tar.md5 file to your device sdcard
    adb push AP_XXXX.tar.md5 /sdcard/Download/
  5. Open Magisk (I'm using the canary version, may not be needed but I know it works for A11)
  6. Select Install
  7. Select and Patch a File
  8. Choose the file you just copied to the device
  9. Magisk will patch the file and return a file name and location
  10. adb pull this file back to your computer
    adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_xxxxxxx.tar ./
  11. Turn off all your magisk modules. (If your modules are all compatible with the version you're going to this is ok but mine were not which sent my tablet into a bootloop after the update)
  12. Turn tablet off
  13. Open Odin
  14. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the usb cable to your computer
  15. Push the volume up button to continue to download mode
  16. Add the AP, BL, and HOME_CSC files to Odin.
    NOTE: If you use the CSC file instead of HOME_CSC you will wipe the device/factory reset. This can be used on a fresh device to gain root as well.
  17. Cilck start and wait for the process to complete

If you forget to turn off the magisk modules and end up in a bootloop like me, hold the volume up button. Eventually the the tablet should go into safe mode which will cause magisk to disable all the modules. Mine finally booted after this.

Passing SafetyNet:
  1. Turn on Magisk Hide
  2. Get the safetynet fix test 2 module from kdrag0n
  3. SafetyNet should pass with basic attestation
Fix Bluetooth with the BluetoothLibraryPatcher module. If you don't you will need to re-pair bluetooth devices after each reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoshReuben

l7777

May 2, 2007
Thanks. I have been hoping the this was possible. I guess a kernel install needs a wipe then? SELinux is really getting on my nerves.
Can't say. I primarily root to block ads and route my hotspot traffic though my VPN. The stock firmware with root gives me that.

Using my steps you would end up with a stock rooted kernel. If your existing setup plays nice with that you should be ok. You could always try and see, worst case you have to wipe anyway.

JoshReuben

Jul 10, 2012
Thanks OP. This worked easily for me and I'm now updated. The S6 is working far better - less lag, more battery. I'm a happy camper.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Normal disclaimers, I take no responsibility if things go sideways. While this worked for me you should probably backup anything you care about.

My tablet was only rooted with no TWRP. I haven't needed TWRP installed permanently for quite a while now.

1. Have working adb tools
    2. Download the current/updated firmware with frija or other tool
    3. Extract the firmware
    4. Adb push the AP_XXXX.tar.md5 file to your device sdcard
      adb push AP_XXXX.tar.md5 /sdcard/Download/
    5. Open Magisk (I'm using the canary version, may not be needed but I know it works for A11)
    6. Select Install
    7. Select and Patch a File
    8. Choose the file you just copied to the device
    9. Magisk will patch the file and return a file name and location
    10. adb pull this file back to your computer
      adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched_xxxxxxx.tar ./
    11. Turn off all your magisk modules. (If your modules are all compatible with the version you're going to this is ok but mine were not which sent my tablet into a bootloop after the update)
    12. Turn tablet off
    13. Open Odin
    14. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the usb cable to your computer
    15. Push the volume up button to continue to download mode
    16. Add the AP, BL, and HOME_CSC files to Odin.
      NOTE: If you use the CSC file instead of HOME_CSC you will wipe the device/factory reset. This can be used on a fresh device to gain root as well.
    17. Cilck start and wait for the process to complete

If you forget to turn off the magisk modules and end up in a bootloop like me, hold the volume up button. Eventually the the tablet should go into safe mode which will cause magisk to disable all the modules. Mine finally booted after this.

Passing SafetyNet:
    1. Turn on Magisk Hide
    2. Get the safetynet fix test 2 module from kdrag0n
    3. SafetyNet should pass with basic attestation
    Fix Bluetooth with the BluetoothLibraryPatcher module. If you don't you will need to re-pair bluetooth devices after each reboot.