Update Sony ZR Firmware 10.3.1.A.2.67

Search This thread

Kratellismorru

Mar 23, 2012
El Castillo Del Diablo
another question

The cross development forum there is a dedicated tool to backup TA partition, but you don't need to unlock in order to root and get recovery...

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! Anyways, I have another question, When I upgraded to 4.2, I received an Album app update, but as far as I Know, there are updates also for Walkman and Movies app, which I wonder I am not receiving yet, Do those updates really take time to arrive? Thanks again!

DPY!

Aug 9, 2013
Bootloader stays locked!

Did you unlock your bootloader before you rooted your phone? and, Is there a way how to backup TA partition? (Just in case things didn't go the way they should, hehe, [Not planning to unlock bootloader])
Nope, rooting with vroot neither requires unlocked bootloader nor does it unlock it.
There's a way to backup the ta partition which was featured few weeks ago: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-backup-the-ta-partition-on-your-sony-xperia-device/

It backs up all the drm keys as well.
You can check your bootloader status by dialing into the service menu *#*#7378423#*#* i.e. *#*#service#*#*
Goto Service info -> Configuration
If it says bootloader unlock allowed : yes you bootloader is still locked.
If it says bootloader unlocked:yes then that's what it is.

Glad I could help.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Anyways, I have another question, When I upgraded to 4.2, I received an Album app update, but as far as I Know, there are updates also for Walkman and Movies app, which I wonder I am not receiving yet, Do those updates really take time to arrive? Thanks again!

AFAIK, application specific updates aren't frequent. In the last three months the album is the only update I have got. Maybe they updated others in 4.2 firmware update itself.

Reactions: Kratellismorru

Kratellismorru

Mar 23, 2012
El Castillo Del Diablo
Thanks

Nope, rooting with vroot neither requires unlocked bootloader nor does it unlock it.
There's a way to backup the ta partition which was featured few weeks ago: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-backup-the-ta-partition-on-your-sony-xperia-device/

You can check your bootloader status by dialing into the service menu *#*#7378423#*#* i.e. *#*#service#*#*

Glad I could help.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

AFAIK, application specific updates aren't frequent. In the last three months the album is the only update I have got. Maybe they updated others in 4.2 firmware update itself.

hehe, thanks man! I know how to check if my bootloader is unlocked or not, its just that I'm scared on doing things for now because I don't want to lose any DRM data on this phone (my Xperia Ray has lost it due to unlocking officially), hehe.

about the walkman, thanks for that information, now I'm thinking if I will upgrade again through PC

moolash

Mar 10, 2009
0.244 to 0.67

hmmpff, well i updated, all went fine, supersu is still working and root-explorer lets me access system file and change permissions, i guess root is still there.

i can confirm cwm still working and booting properly also, seems like a win!

I am rooted 0.244. I have the update notification for 0.67. I was worried about loosing root, but now I see vroot can be the solution.
However, the OTA update downloads but will not install. Maybe because I have tried OTA survive in SuperSU? I could not even do it with PC companion.
So I ended up freezing my update app :D

This thread seems to confirm I will either keep root after updating or I can root with vroot. Is that so??

Thanks.

shteren

Jul 9, 2013
Mybe your bootloader is unlocked? Ota didn't work for me too so I relocked it and now it's fine

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk

itandy

Apr 28, 2010
Hong Kong
I am rooted 0.244. I have the update notification for 0.67. I was worried about loosing root, but now I see vroot can be the solution.
However, the OTA update downloads but will not install. Maybe because I have tried OTA survive in SuperSU? I could not even do it with PC companion.
So I ended up freezing my update app :D

This thread seems to confirm I will either keep root after updating or I can root with vroot. Is that so??

Thanks.

I remember someone said upgrading from 244 to 67 via OTA didn't remove root. But for me I was unable to upgrade by OTA so I use flashtool to flash the FTF. Then I just used vroot to root again which wasn't that difficult after all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hmm, any safe/sure/tested method to root the 4.2.2? (By safe, I mean, no bootloader unlocking, hehe)

You can root the new .67 firmware directly by Vroot (v1.7) :http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2434453

Also, you just bought the phone, you might find the usable internal storage of 4.5 GB to be too low. The stock 4.2.2 from Sony doesn't have the option to move any apps to SD card.

You can use FolderMount to mount Internal Storage folders to SD Card (move game data to SD Card).

However, mounting causes Reboot on ZR/Z/ZU due to lack of some permissions. There's a solution:
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2317432
    Use the .bat file after connecting your phone to the computer (USB Debugging on).

Now you can use FolderMount.

I have done the above on ZR C5502 .67 firmware JB 4.2.2 and FolderMount is working perfectly.
    Realy?
    You Flash Old FW 4.1.2
    Root
    Setup CWM
    Flash zr244-system-supersu
    Final, you Flash new FW..?

No.
    1.flash new firmware
    2.run vroot and get root priv.
    3. install superSU from market and update su binary (or use china program, right button to get root priv to programs)
    goto settings > about phone, then tap 7 times on "build number" at the bottom. This will enable dev options.
    Bootloader stays locked!

Did you unlock your bootloader before you rooted your phone? and, Is there a way how to backup TA partition? (Just in case things didn't go the way they should, hehe, [Not planning to unlock bootloader])

Glad I could help.

Anyways, I have another question, When I upgraded to 4.2, I received an Album app update, but as far as I Know, there are updates also for Walkman and Movies app, which I wonder I am not receiving yet, Do those updates really take time to arrive? Thanks again!