Update to Android 10 on magisk & Edxposed?

SimoneSessa

Oct 25, 2012
www.simonesessa.it
You can update you Pixel downloading the ota and the factory image from Google repository. Sideload the ota, reboot your phone and wait for the "update optimization" (there is a notification), then you have to patch the boot image (get it from factory) with Magisk Manager. Finally, flash the patched boot image.

In details:
1. Download the full OTA image and the Factory image from Google
2. Keep Magisk and root, copy boot.img from Factory in the Pixel
3. Boot into factory recovery (go in bootloader, choose recovery, keep power and press volume up button).
4. Choose Apply update from ADB
5. From windows: adb sideload fullOTAimage.zip
6. The update will take awhile
7. Reboot and let the update finish in android
8. Load magisk and patch the boot.img, copy patch_boot.img to computer
9. Boot into the bootloader
10. Flash the patched boot image with: fastboot flash boot patch_boot.img

BUT in the Google repository there are 2 version of ota/factory images (.019 e .020). I don't know the difference.

Edit: you need the Magisk Manager canary version, see this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3/how-to/guide-patching-boot-img-magisk-canary-t3964359

Last edited:

GunToYoMouth123

May 16, 2009
Miami
You can update you Pixel downloading the ota and the factory image from Google repository. Sideload the ota, reboot your phone and wait for the "update optimization" (there is a notification), then you have to patch the boot image (get it from factory) with Magisk Manager. Finally, flash the patched boot image.

In details:
1. Download the full OTA image and the Factory image from Google
2. Keep Magisk and root, copy boot.img from Factory in the Pixel
3. Boot into factory recovery (go in bootloader, choose recovery, keep power and press volume up button).
4. Choose Apply update from ADB
5. From windows: adb sideload fullOTAimage.zip
6. The update will take awhile
7. Reboot and let the update finish in android
8. Load magisk and patch the boot.img, copy patch_boot.img to computer
9. Boot into the bootloader
10. Flash the patched boot image with: fastboot flash boot patch_boot.img

BUT in the Google repository there are 2 version of ota/factory images (.019 e .020). I don't know the difference.

Edit: you need the Magisk Manager canary version, see this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-3/how-to/guide-patching-boot-img-magisk-canary-t3964359
Awesome man, thank you !

[email protected]

Sep 6, 2019
i updated from pie and patched the boot.image so now i have root. i was trying to edit the build.prop for hotspot tethering, the old net.tethering.noprovisioning=true but it wont allow me to edit and save the changes to the build.prop, root explorer is not getting read write permissions or something, root explorer does have super user [permission though. can anyone shed some light on this please :)

Ariel_PR

Feb 6, 2013
Has anyone confirmed whether or not Xposed works on Android 10? Riru Core says that it's compatible with Android 10. As long as Riru core works then Xposed should work. But I would like some confirmation so that I can update.

Reactions: bush911 and DvLAx3l

GunToYoMouth123

May 16, 2009
Miami
Has anyone confirmed whether or not Xposed works on Android 10? Riru Core says that it's compatible with Android 10. As long as Riru core works then Xposed should work. But I would like some confirmation so that I can update.
I haven't yet. I've been busy with work. As soon as I get a moment I'll do the update and confirm if everything is working right.

ngelee

Jun 20, 2009
I finally updated through OTA while on magisk and disabled it to enable it again with a patch. But with steps. I'll upload it soon for people coming from Android 9 (rooted in magisk) and OTA updating to Q and rooting back with magisk. Xposed will come in next.
I'm exactly the same situation as you, currently on Android 9 rooted with Magisk, and receiving 10 OTA notification, but I don't know how to move foward. Looking for your guide, thanks dude!

GunToYoMouth123

May 16, 2009
Miami
Okay, I work at a fulltime job so please bear with me and sorry for my late responses. And acknowledge that I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. This step-by-step guide was done on an unlocked Google Pixel 3 XL unlocked bought from the Google Play store. I haven't tested it out on other versions of Pixel 3's or any other phone that isn't the Pixel 3 models since I do not own them, so keep that in mind. My situation was to find out how to update my ALREADY ROOTED/MAGISK version of Android 9 PIE through OTA. Upon checking or looking around I couldn't find any tutorials that are easy for me so with all the info I gathered I decided to wing it and compile steps from a lot of sites,risk it all and used my knowledge to put together this guide. In hopes, this helps everyone else! anyways here we go...

First, PLEASE make sure if you have Edxposed or any other modules or anything that is similiar, uninstall it or remove it. (Applications or mods from magisk are fine, I did this while I had a few mods from magisk, like viperfx, youtube vanice etc..)

1. Disable Automatic system updates in developer options, so it won't install OTAs without your acknowledgment.

2. When an OTA is available, first go to Magisk Manager → Uninstall → Restore Images. Do not reboot or you will have Magisk uninstalled. This will restore your boot back to 100% untouched stock images in order to pass pre-OTA block verifications.

3. After restoring the stock boot image, apply the OTA update as you normally would (Settings → System → System Update).
Wait for the installation to be fully done then press the "Restart now"
Wait for the phone to reboot and let it sit for a few minutes. 10-15 minutes give or take.
Don't panic, let it do its thing. ;)
Once you see the "G" with the loading under it, you should be fine.
let it boot up.

4. Now download the factory zip
download 10.0.0 (QP1A.190711.020, Sep 2019)

5. Once downloaded, open the zip using any zip/rar program. (I HIGHLY recommend WinRar) within THAT zip folder extract the image-crosshatch-qp1a.190711.020.zip somewhere on your desktop.

6. Now then open THAT zip file and from it, extract the boot.img file onto your desktop and move it into your Pixel 3 XL's download folder. (I did it this way, so I recommend it)

7. Now uninstall your old magisk manager and install the latest Magisk Manager (app-release.apk)from HERE

8. Open Magisk Manager and Press Install ==> Press Install again ==> Select Patch a File ==> Select the boot.img file you extracted from the latest factory image that you placed in your Pixel 3 XL.

9. Magisk Manager will patch the boot.img and store the patched boot.img in the download folder as "magisk_patched.img"

10. Copy the magisk_patched.img file to your computer's Platform-tools folder(The one you use to adb push files in etc.) or the folder that has fastboot.exe(your ADB folder should have the fastboot.exe in it normally lol :eek:) in it.

11. Connect the phone to the Computer with USB type- c cord.

12. Open your platform-tools folder if you haven't, and on the search bar type in "cmd" and tap enter on your keyboard.
(the cmd promt should open already in your location)

13. Now boot your Pixel 3 XL into fastboot mode by typing the commad: adb reboot bootloader

14. Once your phone is on fastboot mode then type: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img

15. Once it's done then type the command : fastboot reboot

16. Google logo should show,but don't panic give it a few.
Open Magisk and check if its rooted on the manager
And congrats ! you have a Magisk root on Android Q ! :highfive:

Please let me know if it worked for you and let me know if you need any help! :fingers-crossed:

Derduden

Jan 9, 2010
Aarhus
This also works on Pixel 2 XL going from Android 9.0 July image with xposed 19.3.

Here's a simpler guide:

1. Go to Magisk Manager → Uninstall → Restore Images
2. Apply the OTA update and reboot
3. Download factory ZIP for 10.0 (In this case for taimen: Pixel 2 XL Android 10.0 Image)
4. From ZIP extract "taimen-qp1a.190711.020/image-taimen-qp1a.190711.020.zip/boot.img" and put it somewhere in the phone
5. Update Magisk with this version: Link
6. Open Magisk Manager and press: Install -> Install -> Patch a File and then select boot.img extracted before
7. Copy magisk_patched.img that Magisk has made to PC
8. Reboot phone to bootloader: adb reboot bootloader
9. Flash patched boot image: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
10. Reboot phone: fastboot reboot

TL;DR:
Disable Magisk, update 10.0 OTA, upgrade Magisk, patch factory boot image with Magisk and flash boot image.

btw: I recommend Easy 7zip: http://www.e7z.org/ for handling the ZIP in a ZIP

Reactions: Desimo12