Update to GPS (Firmware)

Search This thread

YoMarK

Sep 15, 2007
I must be a noob and am missing something... feel free to show me the light.
Well, you don't actually have to pay for wifi traffic. You're phone downloads data using the data connection(3g for example), and then sends it to whatever device you're tethering with. Sending the data using wifi or bluetooth doesn't make a difference in how much data you're phone downloads using the data connection.

Cappurnikus

May 13, 2011
Well, you don't actually have to pay for wifi traffic. You're phone downloads data using the data connection(3g for example), and then sends it to whatever device you're tethering with. Sending the data using wifi or bluetooth doesn't make a difference in how much data you're phone downloads using the data connection.

Most carriers charge extra for wifi tethering. The amount of data used is irrelevant. They do not charge for BT tethering. I don't want to root my phone and alter its radio just so I can use wifi tethering against my carriers will, so I use BT.

Cappurnikus

May 13, 2011
Hence why there are so many wifi tether apps on the market.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

And unless you pay, the carrier will notice you're trying a workaround and just send you to the carrier's webpage asking you to pay for the "service". Some phones have it easier than others I guess. It is a pain to get wifi tethering working on my phone without paying twice for the same data connection.

LK265

Aug 26, 2010
Scratch that...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xxgmon3yxx

Mar 22, 2009
Dallas
Just updated mine. My GPS was decent prior the update able to get locks on 4-6 sats while driving, now it takes foreverrrr to get a lock and can't get a lock indoors anymore.

Is there a way to revert?

RipplingHurst

Feb 18, 2011
California
I have it updated, and kept it rooted thanks to voodoo.

After two cold boots, gps improved somewhat. Before i got no lock inside or outside, now i get lock if i face the window inside. No luck inside home, while my Samsung 10.1 locks instantly wherever (also WiFi off).

WI-fi is the same, still weak, compared to all my other devices, n or g, you cant tell just by browsing though.

xPSYCHOTRONx

Mar 31, 2011
My gps doesnt work at all on any program or test. It didnt work before or after the update.

jamesey10

Sep 6, 2010
Pasadena CA
My GPS works after this update.

Before with wi-fi off, I would see 1 satellite, and not get any fix, after 5 minutes.

Now with wi-fi off, I see 10 satellites and get a fix with 7 or 8, after 30 seconds.

I dare say my TP is now perfect, with no issues.

xPSYCHOTRONx

Mar 31, 2011
If it has never worked, it's never going to, it is faulty hardware. I would get it replaced.

Yea i thought about it but i wont get one for a while if inturn it in. I have the extended warranty though so perhaps i will wait till they have some in store.

louvass

Sep 24, 2010
GPS Now Works

I have a 12/23 prime never got GPS to work without WiFi. AS of last week it started locking on to sats.. tonight after update I took it outside and got 8 sats 6 locks within 45 secs. They did something ;) Hope everyone's improves.. I have a perfect Prime thank you Asus.

V3ng

Jul 6, 2010
UK Prime ... just noticed a new firmware update. Will compare before/after versions ...

Govermans

Jan 16, 2012
The Hague
I have installed the firmware update. I can see no difference before/after the update. The GPS did not work before the update and it does not work after installing the update :(

Mithrandir007

Aug 25, 2007
Rixensart, Belgium
Most carriers charge extra for wifi tethering. The amount of data used is irrelevant. They do not charge for BT tethering. I don't want to root my phone and alter its radio just so I can use wifi tethering against my carriers will, so I use BT.

Isn't that only for when you tether your data connection to another device?
Tethering GPS data doesn't seem like something the carrier has anything to do with.

My carrier doesn't charge for tethering of any kind, so I can't check.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got an update and did it, but didnt take note of my numbers before hand.

here are my post-update numbers, can anyone confirm if there is any change, before they update?

gps: 6.9.13
    wifi: 6.1.1.17
    bt: 9.23
    build: IML74K.US_epad-9.4.2.11-20120117
    Asus buying time by incrementing version number but doing **** to fix it. They already said the case is the problem so why would a software update help it. Just like the first GPS update was to turn on wifi...that would not constitute an update to GPS still they upped the version. So what did they do this time...boost the signal a little...more interference, more battery usage?

Whatever they did, its working for a large number of prime owners. Why complain about them trying to fix it despite the design flaw? I understand being upset about the problem. I don't understand being upset about them trying to resolve it...
    we have fortnight like 3-4 updates n less than a month. less than a month we got toot n overclock n some themes n Linux. People can't Say Asus is not trying to remedy things. Developement for Prime is moving right along pretty well for not having unlocking tool yet for bootloader.
    I also lost root after the ota and didnt have it voodooed. I guess I'll try to reroot tomorrow. Hopefully someone figures it out if we lost it. For one of my apps its saying that su has granted root access, however the app is saying it was denied. So idk what to do yet.
    I still receive 0 Sat's with this update. This is my second one that saw absolutely nothing at all. But seeing that other people are able to see some sats is what concerns me. I will look at my serial # to see which batch I have. I contacted BestBuy and they said they would send one to me or the nearest store and I could then return mine, but they have none in stock and my only option is to return it and they would give me $25 gift card for my "incovience". So I am waiting for them to show "in stock" online so I can try out a 3rd one out. I really like the TFP, but I don't like pauing for stuff that doesn't work. I wouldn't mind it if I saw at least one Sat but doesn't lock, but like I said I see 0 sat's 24/7.