[Update v1.1.2 3-10-2008] µTrack passive GPS device tracking

Search This thread

ddookie

Jan 3, 2006
Hello,

The Google Gears GeoLocation feature is going to be changed dramatically. I hope this will fix the problem of the missing dots...

Greeting,

kevinwilson

Dec 29, 2007
I haven't had chance to install this yet, but it seems like just what I'm looking for.

Any chance there could be an option to remove the tray notification icon?

Thanks for your hard work!

jenya

Apr 14, 2008
Hi,

Any luck porting over to Windows Mobile Smartphone yet? I am anxiously awaiting :)

Thanks!

rmanaka

Jul 15, 2005
am i the only one having problems with the google gears function not putting the period in the lat and long? can some one that has it working properly please tell me what settings you may have that could affect this

I have the same issue...no radix (decimal point):confused:

I would also love a widget that would display map view instead of satallite view, no high res pictures in my home town makes it impossible to see where anything is

Same here (although my home location has a decent image, I'd like to use it in areas where I have no idea what or where the satellite image represents!)

I am using an AT&T 8525 (Hermes 100) that has an i.Trek M5+ external GPS linked via bluetooth. I've used the "external GPS" utility to map the hardware port [Com0] to an application port [Com1] and it works with Google Maps (both using GPS connection and Google GeoLocation). It works with my ALK CoPilot 7 application without any port mapping.

uTrack works fine so long as I have Google Maps connected to my i.Trek. If I close Maps, it closes the bluetooth connection so for all practical purposes, my external GPS "disappears".

Fantastic application, nevertheless!!!

rmanaka

Jul 15, 2005
Webpage configuration?

Using it on a qtek 9100 WM6 non-stock rom :)

"GET /index2.php?long=2.26106&lat=48.858821&time=2008-10-15T20:07:34&id="

Works fine : http://maisouest.tranbert.com/ (I've learnt php/mysql yesterday...)

Nice page! Any chance of publishing how you created the page and the listening service? I'm not a coder, though I have configured a Ubuntu 8.04 server to run PHP5 and MySQL so I can experiment with a wiki (Twiki). I can follow a "for dummies" guide and modify scripts, etc.

I especially like the fact that you are displaying the "streets and roads" view rather than the satellite imagery!

Thanks!

tranbert

Jan 24, 2008
Nice page! Any chance of publishing how you created the page and the listening service? I'm not a coder,

Neither am I....

I especially like the fact that you are displaying the "streets and roads" view rather than the satellite imagery!

Basically it was for my customers, and Satellite view was too confusing...

So, the inside : a very dirty phpmysql code :

publish page code example :

<?php

$lat = $_GET['lat'];
$long = $_GET['long'];
$time = $_GET['time'];
$id = $_GET['id'];

$user = "*******";
$host = "localhost";
$password = "********";
$database = "gps";

$cxn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password)
or die ("connexion impossible");

mysql_select_db($database);

$query = "INSERT INTO `geoloc` ( `long` , `lat` , `time` , `id` )
VALUES ('$long','$lat','$time','$id')";

$result = mysql_query($query)
or die ("Requete impossible.");

echo "<DIV ALIGN=CENTER>Derniere mise a jour de la base <br> <br> <b>$time</b>";

echo "<br> <br> <a href=http://maps.google.com/staticmap?center=$lat,$long&zoom=11&size=250x210&format=png32&frame=true&maptype=mobile&markers=$lat,$long,redt&key=ABQIAAAAUqaeoI9pEzpRF07mouEtuRRq8q6wEl7v2HTtTICzSod2DfI23xSz2kPtXn9ZWtmRvHdmq8NVfH4wsg>Carte</a>";

echo "</DIV>";

?>

View page code :

<?php
$user="******";
$host="localhost";
$password="*******";

$cxn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password)
or die ("Couldn't connect to server");

$db = mysql_select_db("gps")
or die ("Couldn't select database");

$query = 'SELECT `long` , `lat` , `time` , `id` FROM `geoloc` WHERE 1 ORDER BY `time` DESC LIMIT 0, 1';

$result = mysql_query($query)
or die ("Couldn't execute query.");

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
extract($row);
echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">\n";

echo "function initialize() { \n";
echo "if (GBrowserIsCompatible()) {\n";
echo " var map = new GMap2(document.getElementById(\"map_canvas\"))\n";
echo "map.setMapType(G_NORMAL_MAP)\n";
echo "map.addControl(new GSmallMapControl())\n";
echo "map.addControl(new GMapTypeControl())\n";
echo "map.setCenter(new GLatLng($lat,$long),14)\n";
echo "map.addOverlay(new GMarker(new GLatLng($lat,$long)))\n";
echo " }\n";
echo "}\n";
echo "</script>\n";
}
?>

Last edited:

id4com

Dec 16, 2008
Web Site using IIS

Take a look at http://locator.id4com.com/tracker2.asp

I put this together over a couple of nights. It uses IIS on a W2K3 server along with MS SQL 2005 DB for storing the data. The datafeed from uTrack is captured using ASP.NET and the map page is rendered using ASP (quicker and easier to provide a proof of concept). I'll move it to ASP.NET when I have more time, I wanted to get Google Maps working correctly first. The page that shows the raw data is basic ASP.NET.

I use a an HP iPaq 614c (WM6.1 builtin GPS) with TomTom installed. I've had some issues with uTrack being in passive mode as TomTom does not seem to pick up the GPSID port unless something else has used it at the same time. So I have to run up uTrack, then TomTom and then another app that actually touches the GPSID to kick the whole thing off. Once TomTom has picked up that GPSID is being used then I can close the other app down and everything is okay. It would be nice to have the option in uTrack to be active as well as passive.

Excellent piece of free software and worth a donation. I hope you keep improving it.

id4com

Dec 16, 2008
I've added the traffic information overlay to Google Maps which works well. I'm also working on some stored procedures in the DB to tidy up the date and time parameters. I've also restricted the amount of data points that can be viewed in the lists to the last 60 records.

I'm also toying with the idea of indicating that there is a "live" feed in progress which will be driven (no pun intended) by the web service feed.

Another feature I hope to add is displaying the last 60 points at the same time on the map with the map zoomed to the correct level.

I've coded with PHP and MySQL for other web sites so I could think about porting it to this also. Depends if I have the time.

kevinwilson

Dec 29, 2007
Just in case it helps you identify the problem, I thought I'd mention that I'm also having the 'missing dots' problem when using Gears. (I'm using the stock WM 6.0 ROM, and I'm connecting from the UK).

Also, a couple of suggestions for future versions:

1. Maybe a parameter could be added for the custom URL which specifies how the location was determined (either GPS or Gears)? @SOURCE, maybe?

2. Could there be two separate update intervals - one for GPS and one for Gears? I like fairly frequent updates when the GPS is on (because I'm probably travelling), but it isn't so important for the Gears location.

3. It would still be handy if the tray icon could be hidden :) I'm planning on installing Manila2D soon, and it would be better if there were no tray icons at the bottom of the Today screen.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the great piece of software.