• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator [Script] Drag/Drop Support [Windows]

Search This thread

Daneshm90

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 1, 2009
This script has 2 main uses:

1. Modify an update.zip
2. Create an update.zip

For #1 - You just extract the contents of an update.zip into the placehere folder, modify its contents, and run the script stating to create an update.zip

For #2 - So far these are the options i have in there for create the update-script

1. Copy directories
2. Copy files
3. Create Symlinks
4. Delete file
5. Delete directory
6. Flash boot image
7. Set permissions for file
8. Set permissions for directory

New Features in 2.0 :
- Set java heap size / compression level for zip
- New drag/drop mode.
>>> - If you drag a folder onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will compress the contents of the folder into a zip and sign it.
>>> - If u drag a zip onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will sign the zip for you.

So this script guides u as u select each option, and adds the appropriate command to the update-script file. Then u exit that sub-menu and create update.zip

Heres a video for a better explanation:

This script is a result of me constantly wanting to modify roms before i flash them & users who are unaware/lost as to creating/modifying update.zips.

Download : [Windows]

Last edited:

marsevern

Jun 30, 2010
I tried using this to just push a single app into /system/app just to see if it would work, but when I try to flash from recovery I get E:Syntax error in update script

when I open my update script it reads thus:

Code:
package_extract_file("LearnPython_1.1.1.apk", "/system/app/Python.apk")

Do you know what the issue might be?

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
I tried using this to just push a single app into /system/app just to see if it would work, but when I try to flash from recovery I get E:Syntax error in update script

when I open my update script it reads thus:

Code:
package_extract_file("LearnPython_1.1.1.apk", "/system/app/Python.apk")

Do you know what the issue might be?

Hmm thats wierd. Can u try placing the file inside a folder withing the placehere folder? N then try it. Tell me if tht works, in meantime ill try a example, perhaps the new changes i made broke something :(

K i figured it out, i forgot to place a ; after the line. Try placing it and then flashing. Ill fix it.

Last edited:

marsevern

Jun 30, 2010
update-script is now

Code:
package_extract_file("LearnPython_1.1.1.apk", "/system/app/Python.apk");

but I still get a syntax error

Edit: I had also tried putting it in a placeholder file, but that didn't help either, even with the added semicolon

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Hmm so something seems wrong with my package_extract_file syntax :confused:

Even though ive compared it to online update-script samples. Regardless, for now use the copy directories option instead.

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
update-script is now

Code:

Edit: I had also tried putting it in a placeholder file, but that didn't help either, even with the added semicolon

Retry, cuz i just did it and it works fine.

Created a folder app inside placehere folder
placed my apk inside it
Ran the script, chose option 1
Then chose option 1
Then typed DATA
Then typed app
Then typed app
Then typed 9
Then typed 2
Then flashed the update.zip

Letter Casing matters, if it says SYSTEM or DATA , do that dont do data or system.

Btw, first clear out using the script. So when u run it. type y to clear ur previous work.

Reactions: nti_hazard88

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
update-script is now

Code:

K i uploaded a fixed one. No file option for now just directory. And added a push to sdcard option. I think wht u were doing was putting it inside a folder and still using the file option.

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com

1. Modify an update.zip
2. Create an update.zip

For #1 - You just extract the contents of an update.zip into the placehere folder, modify its contents, and run the script stating to create an update.zip

For #2 - So far these are the options i have in there for create the update-script

1. Copy directories
2. Copy files
3. Create Symlinks
4. Delete file
5. Delete directory
6. Flash boot image

So this script guides u as u select each option, and adds the appropriate command to the update-script file. Then u exit that sub-menu and create update.zip

This script is a result of me constantly wanting to modify roms before i flash them & users who are unaware/lost as to creating/modifying update.zips.

It would be nice if the download link worked and didn't take me to some wierd web sites everytime I click on the download button!

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
It would be nice if the download link worked and didn't take me to some wierd web sites everytime I click on the download button!

the link works. it's hosted on mediafire and sometime ad page pops up.

Well the reason i do it on something like mediafire is cuz its not xda dependant and that its one of the few sites with no waiting time for downloads. Plus i get to monitor # of downloads, in order to know if something is in demand, hence ill work on improving that.

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Well the reason i do it on something like mediafire is cuz its not xda dependant and that its one of the few sites with no waiting time for downloads. Plus i get to monitor # of downloads, in order to know if something is in demand, hence ill work on improving that.

Ok, well I've tried both firefox and IE and they both do the same thing. Can you post a mirror because I've never had any problems with mediafire downloads before? I even logged into mediafire and it still gives me this error:

The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in.

What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Last edited:

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Ok, well I've tried both firefox and IE and they both do the same thing. Can you post a mirror because I've never had any problems with mediafire downloads before? Do I have to log in to mediafire? It gives me this error:

The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in.

What you can try:
Go back to the previous page.

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

Hmm k sure. Heres an xda attachment.

Attachments

• Update-Zip-Packager.zip
    275.1 KB · Views: 1,409

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com

placed my apk inside it
Then chose option 1
Then typed DATA
Then typed app
Then typed app
Then typed 9
Then typed 2

Letter Casing matters, if it says SYSTEM or DATA , do that dont do data or system.

Btw, first clear out using the script. So when u run it. type y to clear ur previous work.

It works just fine for me too. I just combined Chromatic3.7 rom with httclay's theme by changing the framework.apk and the services.jar files. I also deleted some system apps as well as added a couple of my own. I also put my own bootanimation.zip on there and it works fine.

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
My first successfull update.zip

Ok so I have messed around with this a lot and I have successfully created a update.zip rom that runs stable. I decided to go with the Chromatic 3.7 rom based off of cm-5.0.8-DS Stable. Feel free to download this and give me your feedback. I take no credit for this rom what so ever. All of the credit goes to Chromersmith and the other devs that made this, not me! This rom is only 1mb larger than the original, about 59mb. What this rom includes:

-reverse nexus style bootanimation (added by me)
-Stock ADWLauncher.apk from cm-5.0.8-DS Stable (has the nexus style launcher, but isn't all themed up. It runs smoother because it isn't as much of a system hog. Added by me)
-apps: Mytouch Music (came with rom not added), 3D Gallery (removed Gallery for same reason), cachecleaner (great for freeing up internal memory), Wireless Tether v2.0.2 for eclair, and of course all the regular stock system apps like YouTube, etc.

And of course you can modify this and re-post your own results as well the same way I did. Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

IMPORTANT! Make sure you read the Chromatic 3.7 thread to get all of the requirements and settings correct after flashing:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=679135

I take no responsibility for anyone that breaks their phone because they don't know what their doing!

And of course enjoy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1zzhoj32oqw

Last edited:

sparksco

Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
I just finished my second update.zip

Ok so I put a lot more work into this one than I did the first one. This is based off of the CM-5.0.8-DS Stable rom+gapps. I got sick of having to flash the gapps seperatly after flashing the rom, so I just added them in.

-Added the Multitasking OC Kernel and a lot of other things like a black status bar mod, and a custom ADWLauncher icon.

screenshot_1.png

-Added other icons to stock apps like music and a few others that I can't remember right now lol.

-Removed the stock Cyanogenmod boot animation and replaced it with the reverse nexus style one (takes up less memory and boots faster, really fast!). Once you get it flashed and get everything set up, reboot your phone and watch how fast it boots up. Mine boots in about a 30 seconds once the boot animation comes on.

Apps included:

-3DGallery (Default Gallery, removed Gallery to save on internal space)
-CacheCleaner (Good system cache cleaner to free up that internal memory!)
-New Phone.apk added from Chromatic3.7 rom (looks very nice btw)
-Wireless Tether v2.0.2 for Eclair roms.

screenshot_3.png

screenshot.png

Requirements:

-Danger SPL or Engineering SPL:
If you do not have these or know what they are then do not flash!

-I highly recommend that you have a swap partition of at least 32mb:
If you want this rom to run smoothly, or enable compcache under spare parts app.

Instructions:

-Do Nandroid backup!!!
-I recommend a wipe if your coming from anything other than cm5.0.8-DS based rom, otherwise, just flash it, and then run fix permissions!

-Download and flash as normal:
It will say welcome to cyanogenmod 5.0.8 DS! Do not be alarmed, this is not a stock version of his rom! I did not want to take the credit away from Cyanogenmod and his team for this rom, since I am using so much of it!

screenshot_4.png

-SetCpu:
Install SetCpu. Run app and select auto detect speeds. The kernel on this rom will allow you to overclock way faster than you should. I can run this stably at 614MHz max, and 245MHz min on ondemand. If you go more than this, your phone will probably lock up, and you will have to pull the battery out just to reboot.

screenshot_5.png

-SpareParts:
After Flashing you must change the clock and date color under spare parts found in the settings menu. I changed everything to white because it's a black status bar, but change to whatever color you wish. Also change the Carrier PLMN label color, and the Carrier SPN label color. The only color I change under the notification settings is the Notifications ticker color. Set window animations and transition animations to fast! Check fancy input animations and launcher in memory.

-ADW settings:
Under sreen preferences set Desktop scrolling speed to 0, it's silly fast! Set Desktop overshoot to 50. Select orientation sensor and auto stretch.
Under UI settings check Hide AllApps Bg and Hide AB Bg, and this will make your launcher look much better. Uncheck scrollable widgets unless you use them. Select whatever else you want, I like to select Hide icon labels and closing dockbar as well. The only one I don't check is the tint ab.

Run Firerats Patch:
Download and run Firerats Patch. This will patch things like facebook sync, enable swap partition, and a lot of other things. Dowload and place the fr-patch133.txt file on the root of your sd card. Go to terminal emulator and type "su" and press enter. Type "sh /sdcard/fr-patch133.txt" and press enter. This will bring up a list of commands for the script, along with an example of how the script works. Everything should install correctly unless your don't have a swap partition on your sdcard then it will not install swap. Everything else should install just fine. Once it finishes type "reboot" and your all done! It will take a long time to boot as it is finishing up all of the installations. Be patient and do not interrupt it by rebooting or powering off your phone!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=348484&d=1277328643

Make sure swap or compache is working in terminal emulator. Type "su" and press enter. Type "free" and enter.

screenshot_2.png

I have put a lot of work into this, so that I can use this as a daily driver rom, until a stable froyo release comes out. This rom is really fast once you get it set up correctly. I mean let's face it, we have no idea how long it will take for froyo 2.2 to be realeased. So until then, let's keep on modding!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you break you phone because you did not read the requirements or follow the instructions correctly!

Download Link:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b27a6g7/n/CM-5.0.8-DS-Black-OC-Mod.zip

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Modify an update.zip
    2. Create an update.zip

1. Copy directories
    2. Copy files
    3. Create Symlinks
    4. Delete file
    5. Delete directory
    6. Flash boot image

New Features in 2.0 :
    - Set java heap size / compression level for zip
    - New drag/drop mode.
    >>> - If you drag a folder onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will compress the contents of the folder into a zip and sign it.
    >>> - If u drag a zip onto the script's icon (as in Script.bat) it will sign the zip for you.

Okay, if anyone would like to test and give me feedback id appreciate it.

New version is for updater-script. (aka Edify which seems to be what most recoveries are supporting now)

Download
    Uploaded to mediafire:
    DOWNLOAD
    Full Credit to Daneshm90 and Thanks to him!
    Did this cause multiupload link is down :D
    update-script is now

Code:

placed my apk inside it
    Then chose option 1
    Then typed DATA
    Then typed app
    Then typed app
    Then typed 9
    Then typed 2