[UPDATED 07/11/09] WM 6.5 & TF3D System Fonts (Works with 6.5.1 ROMS! CABs within!)

Search This thread

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
[UPDATED 07/11/09] WM 6.5 & TF3D System Fonts (Works with 6.5.1 ROMS! CABs within!)

Hi Guys,

I installed a couple of system fonts posted in various places and discovered that they didn't play too well with 6.5. I did a bit of digging and discovered that the .ttf files in the Windows directory differ in 6.5 so I set about making a CAB specifically for us WM 6.5 users :)

I'll pop a couple of CAB files up as I do them, but there's one attached to this post along with some screenshots. The one I've chosen to start with is Eras, not a huge amount different from the standard font, but it's nice and legible but different enough to be noticeable.

There are three levels of boldness used in WinMob and TF3D, a light, medium and bold. with Eras, the most bold version was too thick and caused the calendar in TF3D to not display the dates correctly, so I've only used a light and medium version in the CAB.

If you have any problems, the CAB is uninstallable. You might want to disable TF3D when you install the CAB, but I didn't bother and it installed fine. I look at it this way; even with TF3D disabled, there are still fonts in use by the system! When changing fonts (from one CAB to another), I use a bit of a shortcut too; I uninstall the CAB, press cancel when the system asks for a soft reset and then install the next font CAB. Only then do I soft reset. Works ok for me!

I'll get on and do a couple more over the next few days. If anyone has any requests, post them here and attach the .ttf files that you want converted. Ideally, there needs to be at least two versions of the font, a light and a medium. If you're not bothered by having a more bold font in certain places, then one will do.

I'll update the 2nd post of the thread with links to newer posts containing CAB files as the thread grows (if it grows) ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 9,438
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14,396
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6,135
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 7,122
  • Screenshot_9.jpg
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 7,256
  • Screenshot_10.jpg
    Screenshot_10.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,763
  • Screenshot_11.jpg
    Screenshot_11.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 6,136
Last edited:

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
Just a quickie to re-iterate that these fonts are for Windows Mobile 6.5 only. They won't work properly on 6.1 as the font names in the Windows system directory are different. This is why, I'm told, I'm the only person making fonts for WM6.5 that actually change all parts of the system.

In addition, do not install another font before removing the previous one. It is ok not to restart the phone until after the replacement has been installed, but you must remove the old font before you install a new one.

If you look at my screenshots and wonder about where all the TF3D mods come from (apart from the fonts of course, they're right here in this thread), check out the links in my signature.

Thanks, enjoy.

PS. I have included a CAB here which will reset the fonts to standard if anyone gets into trouble. If you follow the general advice above, nothing bad should happen though ;)

Last edited:

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
OK, second CAB of the day: Century Gothic. Again, not too dissimilar to the original font, but I think quite nice. Also, slightly larger on the screen than the Eras font that I posted earlier. Good for those visually challenged people like myself...

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,127
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,123
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 994
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 997
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,069
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 964
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,423
Last edited:

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
EnviroD system font attached to this post. This is a nice, futuristic-looking font, only problem is with the TF3D calendar; the number digits in this font are slightly too wide and so some of the numbers are truncated (see screenshot). If you can live with this, it's a good-looking font. I did try using a less bold version of the font for the calendar, but it had no effect, still truncated. Personally, it doesn't bother me too much as I love the look of this font on screen.

Edit: It was really annoying me, this font not working right so I did a bit of digging with Font Creator and scaled the numerals so that the calendar tab now displays correctly. I also used the three versions of the font (2 of which I created from the original), light, regular and bold.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 476
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 856
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,604
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
OK, second cab of the day, the old favourite, Comic Sans.

This font has the same problem as EmviroD, in which the numbers are a little too wide for the calendar and so are truncated. However, it's a very readable font and I can live with the calendar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 619
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,556
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 728
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 335

cvchetan

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2009
Bhubaneswar
can you make one with lucida handwriting plzz??

Attachments

• LHANDW.zip
    42.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Major_Sarcasm

Jan 26, 2009
South Coast, UK
oceancopy.co.uk
Another day, another font ;)

This time, we have Jott, which I think works quite well as a semi-handwritten system font. All the screens seem to work ok, calendar, weather, etc. Hope you like it! I do!

If you'd like to know how I got a full-screen wallpaper in TF3D, see Maxycy's thread here. All the manila mods you can shake a stick at and more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,904
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 816
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 461
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg