[UPDATED][2017.11.6][Magisk] Root Pixel 2 (XL)

Search This thread

bdr127

Dec 19, 2011
The latest Magisk (v20.4) is not working for me on Android 11 on my Pixel 2 XL.

I flashed the Android 11 update. Then, as always, I installed TWRP and then installed Magisk from there. I'm now stuck in a boot loop.

I tried the Magisk install patch method from within Magisk Manager, but that results in a boot loop as well. (The only possible caveat here is that I'm running v7.5.1 because I can't find a working link to the "canary" version of Magisk Manager.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I found the debug version of Magisk Manager (in this post: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83467991&postcount=3750), changed the setting to use canary, and installed the canary version. Then I used the patching method to install Magisk and everything works perfectly.

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
The latest Magisk (v20.4) is not working for me on Android 11 on my Pixel 2 XL.

I flashed the Android 11 update. Then, as always, I installed TWRP and then installed Magisk from there. I'm now stuck in a boot loop.

I tried the Magisk install patch method from within Magisk Manager, but that results in a boot loop as well. (The only possible caveat here is that I'm running v7.5.1 because I can't find a working link to the "canary" version of Magisk Manager.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1. You need to use Canary on R (both Manager and Magisk). Make sure you set the Canary Manager update channel to Canary.
2. You cannot install TWRP and use Magisk at the same time on R. You can only use TWRP by fastbooting it up, not installing it, when using Magisk.
3. Latest Canary Magisk Manager link seems to be working fine... https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk

bdr127

Dec 19, 2011
1. You need to use Canary on R (both Manager and Magisk). Make sure you set the Canary Manager update channel to Canary.
2. You cannot install TWRP and use Magisk at the same time on R. You can only use TWRP by fastbooting it up, not installing it, when using Magisk.
3. Latest Canary Magisk Manager link seems to be working fine...

Thanks for your reply. Please see my edit above. Got it working.

On the github page, where is the Magisk Manager apk, specifically? I see the link to the Magisk zip, but not the manager.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Thanks for your reply. Please see my edit above. Got it working.

On the github page, where is the Magisk Manager apk, specifically? I see the link to the Magisk zip, but not the manager.
See attachment...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.1 KB · Views: 270

SketchSlayer

Sep 28, 2015
So OP is clearly outta date, as you get a message in magisk saying this version does not support boot image file patching...
So yeah... GG

Anyone got up to date instructions for rooting this pile of burning trash?
Grabbed one of these that was going cheap to replace a beat up moto e5+ (honestly it was cheaper than fixing up the beautifully smashed screen) and am immediately reminded why I never buy google hardware, default encryption that requires rooting to turn off is a level of dumb I will never understand alongside other terrible default settings literally requiring risking bricking a device to put it on basic sensible settings...

I'd say cobains guitar shoulda said google employee not cop,

So yeah, could really use up to date instructions for rooting one of these dumpster fires so I can get on with fixing the default settings/removing bloatware/maybe replacing the whole crapshoot of a default android build it comes with... all my least favourite androids I've owned have been google made hilariously.

Even with the canary magisk the twrp flash crashes when you tell twrp to go into flash so clearly there is more to it that flashing the patched boot image, not even surprised the worst androids are made by google, their whole motto is "we're obviously evil"

Last edited:

73sydney

Account currently disabled
Hers a tip, a post like that is not going to get you a first rate response

Telling people in your first post how much you hate the device isnt going to win you friends...

Having said that, heres the top tips:

1) Dont install TWRP, fastboot to it when needed (known issue with boot loop if you install it, many have reported - its mentioned MANY times, would likely come up in a search)

fastboot boot twrp-xxx.img

If you have flashed TWRP, flash the original unpatched boot.img, and start over...fastbooting TWRP

2) You can rename the magisk-xxxx.apk to magisk-xxx.zip and flash via (fastbooted) TWRP and avoid boot image patching completely (information freely available in the main magisk post)

3) Maybe dont tell people how bad the device they (and others) spend a lot of time keeping working for others is....

4) Avail yourself of the search function and read opening posts of things like Magisk...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel 2 (XL) is now officially added on the Magisk support list, please install Magisk v14.5+. These builds here are deprecated
    Check out the latest beta from the official beta thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Root for Pixel 2 XL has been achieved!
    There are still some things I'd like to add before I push out an official release, but since people can't wait to ROOT their shiny new Pixel 2s, I figured I'd build one for you!
    I do not own either Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, so testing is limited. This build is ONLY tested on Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0 OPD1.170816.010.
    For Android 8.1 beta, Pixel 2 etc, it should work IN THEORY.

Magisk Version: v14.4 (code: 1444)
    Magisk Manager Version: 5.4.1 (code: 58)

Instructions
    Since TWRP cannot decrypt /data yet, the proper way to install Magisk is via Magisk Manager. You will need a stock boot image from official factory images.
    Download MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk from attachments and install it to your device.
    This Magisk Manager is specifically built for this release ONLY, both stable and beta channels points to the same custom URL.
    Once you've got Magisk Manager installed, I'll just copy and paste the instructions from the Magisk OP here:
    • This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
    • Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
    • Magisk Manager will now patch your boot image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img
    • Flash the patched boot image to your device and reboot. Voilà!

Please don't share a patched boot image in the forums since it will help no one. Flashing a patched boot image alone is not sufficient to run Magisk properly. The "patch through Magisk Manager" step is actually mandatory if you wonder why.

Special Thanks
    @nathanchance for his Pixel 2 XL and speedy tests
    @Dees_Troy for TWRP on Pixel 2 XL - thanks to TWRP's root shell, the debugging process is 1000 times faster

Donations
    I spent endless hours on Magisk. If you like my work, feel free to donate.
    https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu

P.S. Magisk-v14.4(1444).zip is also hosted here because I do not have my own server :p
    Step-by-step

For Pixel Noobs out there including myself... Could someone post a step-by-step description of how to install Magisk, Smoke Kernel, and TWRP maybe on a separate thread?

Step by step

1. Download and extract factory image. Mine was taimen-opd1.170816.010-factory-c796ddb4.zip
    2. Once extracted go into the folder and extract image-taimen-opd1.170816.010.zip.
    There you will find the boot.img.

3. Now install MadiskManager-v5.4.1.apk
    4. Click install and select patch Boot image file.
    5. this is where you will browse to that boot.img we found earlier and select it.

Magisk will do its thing and tell you where it put the patched_boot.img

6. Go to PC and hook the phone to it, enable file transfer. I could not see the file in the MagiskManager folder from PC. So I used es file explorer on phone and made a copy in the download directory of my phone. Back to the PC I copied the patched_boot.img to my platform tools folder with adb and fastboot.

7. Held shift, right clicked, open command prompt here.
    8. Typed "adb devices" (probably not needed, i just like too) MY device was there.
    9. Typed "adb reboot-bootloader"
    10. Typed "fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    11. hit the power button on phone to reboot when it was finished.

Phone rebooted, opened Magisk Manager and I now have root. Thank you everyone. Hope this helps!
    Glad to help be a part of testing and here's to the future of root :)
    Below are the instructions from the OP: (click to show content)

Where does it say the file is to be flashed via FASTBOOT?

Yes, it is assumed that people rooting their devices KNOW this, and most do, but SOME do not.

Where does it say to move the "patched_Boot.img" file to your PC for flashing via FASTBOOT?

Again, most do know this, some do not.

This is in no way to throw shade at anyone. Think of it as a perspective reminder :D

It is possible that even when you read the instructions 20 times, SOMETIMES, there are SOME users who will not understand them; so they ask questions.

Instructions
    Since TWRP cannot decrypt /data yet, the proper way to install Magisk is via Magisk Manager. You will need a stock boot image from official factory images.
    Download MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk from attachments and install it to your device.
    This Magisk Manager is specifically built for this release ONLY, both stable and beta channels points to the same custom URL.
    Once you've got Magisk Manager installed, I'll just copy and paste the instructions from the Magisk OP here:
    Quote:
    This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
    Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
    Magisk Manager will now patch your boot image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img
    Flash the patched boot image to your device and reboot. Voilà!

Xda IS about development, absolutely. But think about it as also developing new users, and helping others learn so they can become self sufficient.

The energy spent to make disparaging comments could just as easily be spent helping someone understand the process.

Yes it sucks to repeat yourself, yes it sucks that everyone here isn't self sufficient, but we all start somewhere, and we ALL have different levels of understanding within the root, development process.

Let's be the good part of Xda, the helpful part of Xda, and let's mentor a bunch of new users, turning them into knowledgeable Xda users.

There are 8+ MIllion users on Xda, and some are rude, mean, and grumpy; let's be better than that, and be helpful, and constructive.

Much respect to each of you!