[UPDATED][2017.11.6][Magisk] Root Pixel 2 (XL)

Search This thread

saham424

Dec 12, 2010
Houston, Tx
Issues with installing the Magisk-v19.1.zip?

I am on may and have no issues with Magisk-v19.1 stock
I had the same issue on PIXEL 2 XL. Flashed OTA via TWRP. Flashed Sultan May kernel then TWRP.zip then MAGISK. would not finish opening the os. it tries to open and gets to the white google icon loading screen vibrates but then reboots. Tried different kernels and that didn't work. Flashed uninstallMagisk.zip and boots up fine. I didn't have an issue with the April update last month only May.

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Lot of folks having issues on May update with latest Magisk and or TWRP. Couple things mentioned around here so far.

-Updating from April keeps decryption working on TWRP where a clean install blows it up. Also, folks with the 3.3 have had failures where 3.2.3-1 is working.

Folks who have not loops on 19.1 and 19.2 seem to have some success with 18.x versions...

Just thought this would give a place to start if you have issues...

Last edited:

StunnerDude

Sep 29, 2016
To everyone having issues on Pixel Devices with the May update, here's an official response from @topjohnwu: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/issues/1432

I used the latest uninstaller zip after flashing the OTA, then rebooted back to system. After making sure it booted, I rebooted to TWRP (using 3.3.0-0) and flashed Magisk. Then reinstalled whatever modules I had that were also in the official repository. Finally I booted with Magisk installed. I used the Canary build, but stable should work as well.

The module that I think caused the bootloop for me was USB Policy Patcher.

Cheers ;)

Will008

May 8, 2014
I had the same issue on PIXEL 2 XL. Flashed OTA via TWRP. Flashed Sultan May kernel then TWRP.zip then MAGISK. would not finish opening the os. it tries to open and gets to the white google icon loading screen vibrates but then reboots. Tried different kernels and that didn't work. Flashed uninstallMagisk.zip and boots up fine. I didn't have an issue with the April update last month only May.

I haven't had any issues with the may update. A big top would be booting into system every step of the way to make sure ur last step didn't mess something up. Here's my sequence:

- Wipe data on EXKM app
- Boot into fastboot
- Flash the latest May stock image (remove the -W)
- Boot into system
- Go to fast boot boot into twrp and flash twrp (3.3.0)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into twrp
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system
- Reboot into twrp
- Flash your kernel of choice ( in my case EX)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system
- Reboot into twrp
- Flash magisk (19.1)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system

Overly cautious I know but this way I would know which step messed up and work on fixing it directly. Hope all this helps.

Cheers

Reactions: saham424

bballer182

Feb 15, 2011
Got 19.1 magisk working on the May update on my Pixel 2.

I think there is some sort of incompatibility issue with TWRP 3.2.3 and 19.1. I was able to get Magisk 19.0 to boot with TWRP 3.2.3 but when I upgraded to 19.1 after I got it to boot with 19.0 I lost TWRP and the boot. Reflashed my stock boot.img and all was well again. Upgraded my TWRP to the current release and was able to flash right into 19.1 without going from 19.0 to 19.1.

saham424

Dec 12, 2010
Houston, Tx
I haven't had any issues with the may update. A big top would be booting into system every step of the way to make sure ur last step didn't mess something up. Here's my sequence:

- Wipe data on EXKM app
- Boot into fastboot
- Flash the latest May stock image (remove the -W)
- Boot into system
- Go to fast boot boot into twrp and flash twrp (3.3.0)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into twrp
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system
- Reboot into twrp
- Flash your kernel of choice ( in my case EX)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system
- Reboot into twrp
- Flash magisk (19.1)
- Wipe dalvic
- Reboot into system

Overly cautious I know but this way I would know which step messed up and work on fixing it directly. Hope all this helps.

Cheers
I figured it out! Latest May update breaks TWRP 3.2.3-1. I Updated it to TWRP 3.3.0.0 and flashed Magisk 19.2. Booted up perfectly!

Reactions: simplepinoi177

Badger50

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I figured it out! Latest May update breaks TWRP 3.2.3-1. I Updated it to TWRP 3.3.0.0 and flashed Magisk 19.2. Booted up perfectly!

It's funny you say that. Couldn't get twrp 3.3.0-0 to fastboot, so I used the previous version which worked fine. Gotta love the unexpected variety that the P2XL offers from time to time! ???

Reactions: CyberpodS2

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member

It's funny you say that. Couldn't get twrp 3.3.0-0 to fastboot, so I used the previous version which worked fine. Gotta love the unexpected variety that the P2XL offers from time to time!

My life is so busy right now with selling a house, buying a new one, moving and setting things up, I haven't updated ANYTHING since March security update and EX 2.15 :p

With all the shenanigans going on with latest security update, TWRP, and Magisk, looks like I'll stay right where I am for another few weeks until I have some time to sit down and digest all the changes and pitfalls :D
@Badger50 I expect you to have this all sorted out, with a detailed, step by step guide posted that I can use when I get back in the saddle in a few weeks :p

Badger50

Senior Moderator
Staff member
My life is so busy right now with selling a house, buying a new one, moving and setting things up, I haven't updated ANYTHING since March security update and EX 2.15 :p

With all the shenanigans going on with latest security update, TWRP, and Magisk, looks like I'll stay right where I am for another few weeks until I have some time to sit down and digest all the changes and pitfalls :D

@Badger50 I expect you to have this all sorted out, with a detailed, step by step guide posted that I can use when I get back in the saddle in a few weeks :p

Hahahahahaha...it was pretty simple for me ol friend. Did the May update just like always with fastboot to both slots without the -w, and let it boot up twice without issues. Then, Twrp 3.3.0-0 didn't fastboot for me for whatever reason despite multiple downloads, but, twrp 3.2.3-1 worked fine. Then magisk 19.1 would boot up, so went back to twrp, flashed magisk uninstaller, rebooted to twrp, then flashed magisk 18.1, and I was golden!
Funny thing is, others had no problems with twrp 330-0 and 19.1 provided they dirty fastbooted the May update. But hey, this is the P2XL, so anything unexpected, is to be expected. I swear this phone is just like my wife of 32 years....still allowed to change her mind at any time! ???

Where you moving to bro? :laugh:

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Mine booted fine too but when I went to install a zip for a magisk mod it could not get access to /system. Going back to 3.2.3-1 fixed the issue.

---------- Post added at 03:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 AM ----------

... I swear this phone is just like my wife of 32 years....still allowed to change her mind at any time! ???

Cool man. April of 1988 for us. Lol

Reactions: Badger50

murphyjasonc

Oct 19, 2014
Raleigh
Amazon Kindle Fire
Smart Watches
I updated to the May release and flashed Magisk 19.1 with a custom kernel and got a bootloop. I tried the Magisk uninstaller, reflashed my boot img and tried without a custom kernel and still got a bootloop. I tried again with the canary version with the same results. I read that some people had luck with the 18.1 version so I tried that. It booted after I flashed it but Magisk wasn't installed. I was about to pull my hair out at this point. Thought I had tried about every possible combination then as I was scrolling through my files I saw Magisk 19.0 just sitting there and I figured what the hell. I flashed it and it booted right up. After that I booted back into TWRP and flashed a custom kernel and rebooted. Then I updated to Magisk 19.1 with direct install from within the app without a hitch. I have no idea why version 19 worked while none of the others did for me but I'm rooted again.

clothednblack

Apr 27, 2011
Crescent city california
Hahahahahaha...it was pretty simple for me ol friend. Did the May update just like always with fastboot to both slots without the -w, and let it boot up twice without issues. Then, Twrp 3.3.0-0 didn't fastboot for me for whatever reason despite multiple downloads, but, twrp 3.2.3-1 worked fine. Then magisk 19.1 would boot up, so went back to twrp, flashed magisk uninstaller, rebooted to twrp, then flashed magisk 18.1, and I was golden!
Funny thing is, others had no problems with twrp 330-0 and 19.1 provided they dirty fastbooted the May update. But hey, this is the P2XL, so anything unexpected, is to be expected. I swear this phone is just like my wife of 32 years....still allowed to change her mind at any time! ???

Yep, got all screwed up after taking the may update, tried and tried and finally gave up rooting and twrp and took the plunge for beta Q instead. Not a bad idea as I need to get use to not having root come August/September, I will be leaving the pixel phone behind

clothednblack

Apr 27, 2011
Crescent city california
Curious what's luring you away if not personal?
Well, it's a few things.
1. I've been doing this long enough
2. I kinda miss the days of just letting my phone update when it was ready.
3. I don't really need root much anymore, things have changed in the android world and I've been on stock for almost a year now (other than BlackenedMod) not really flashing anything, just letting this pixel do it thing other than monthly security updates.
4. This is the biggest reason..... The Note 10 is coming and it's going to be a beast! Had the N3 and loved it, it time. Been reading all the leaks and rumors, I'm ready to go full stock and leave all the crazy flashing days behind me. Not sure what I will do with all my free time now lol.

srqrob

Dec 5, 2011
Well, it's a few things.
1. I've been doing this long enough
2. I kinda miss the days of just letting my phone update when it was ready.
3. I don't really need root much anymore, things have changed in the android world and I've been on stock for almost a year now (other than BlackenedMod) not really flashing anything, just letting this pixel do it thing other than monthly security updates.
4. This is the biggest reason..... The Note 10 is coming and it's going to be a beast! Had the N3 and loved it, it time. Been reading all the leaks and rumors, I'm ready to go full stock and leave all the crazy flashing days behind me. Not sure what I will do with all my free time now lol.

Thanks. Samsung is one of the companies I love to hate. Probably occasionally shoot myself in the foot. :D

clothednblack

Apr 27, 2011
Crescent city california
Thanks. Samsung is one of the companies I love to hate. Probably occasionally shoot myself in the foot. :D
Yeah, they all have ups and downs, pros and cons for sure. My work phone is the S8 and my wife just got a S10+, oldest son has the S8 edge or something like that. My daughter has my old pixel xl, and I've got the XL2. Been through a lot of phone's and ever since the Droid X, I was always making sure that the next phont was going to be able to be rooted. I'm tired of making my purchases based on just that factor. Getting to old for all that ?. I certainly have met a ton of people and became a mod in a few forums through the years. Ready to retire and see what it's like again to just let the phone run its course without my influence ?.

Az Biker

Sr. Mod / Mod & RC-RT Committees / Shred'r of MTBs
Staff member
Yeah, they all have ups and downs, pros and cons for sure. My work phone is the S8 and my wife just got a S10+, oldest son has the S8 edge or something like that. My daughter has my old pixel xl, and I've got the XL2. Been through a lot of phone's and ever since the Droid X, I was always making sure that the next phont was going to be able to be rooted. I'm tired of making my purchases based on just that factor. Getting to old for all that . I certainly have met a ton of people and became a mod in a few forums through the years. Ready to retire and see what it's like again to just let the phone run its course without my influence .

I absolutely believe that you are not alone in this line of thinking.

If it wasn't something I really enjoy doing, I wouldn't see the need to root much either.

It does get frustrating having to choose your new device based on the ability to root or the amount of dev support it's getting, but I do like the idea of having the "option" of doing whatever I want with my device "should" I decide to do something that requires root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pixel 2 (XL) is now officially added on the Magisk support list, please install Magisk v14.5+. These builds here are deprecated
    Check out the latest beta from the official beta thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Root for Pixel 2 XL has been achieved!
    There are still some things I'd like to add before I push out an official release, but since people can't wait to ROOT their shiny new Pixel 2s, I figured I'd build one for you!
    I do not own either Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, so testing is limited. This build is ONLY tested on Pixel 2 XL Android 8.0 OPD1.170816.010.
    For Android 8.1 beta, Pixel 2 etc, it should work IN THEORY.

Magisk Version: v14.4 (code: 1444)
    Magisk Manager Version: 5.4.1 (code: 58)

Instructions
    Since TWRP cannot decrypt /data yet, the proper way to install Magisk is via Magisk Manager. You will need a stock boot image from official factory images.
    Download MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk from attachments and install it to your device.
    This Magisk Manager is specifically built for this release ONLY, both stable and beta channels points to the same custom URL.
    Once you've got Magisk Manager installed, I'll just copy and paste the instructions from the Magisk OP here:
    • This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
    • Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
    • Magisk Manager will now patch your boot image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img
    • Flash the patched boot image to your device and reboot. Voilà!

Please don't share a patched boot image in the forums since it will help no one. Flashing a patched boot image alone is not sufficient to run Magisk properly. The "patch through Magisk Manager" step is actually mandatory if you wonder why.

Special Thanks
    @nathanchance for his Pixel 2 XL and speedy tests
    @Dees_Troy for TWRP on Pixel 2 XL - thanks to TWRP's root shell, the debugging process is 1000 times faster

Donations
    I spent endless hours on Magisk. If you like my work, feel free to donate.
    https://www.paypal.me/topjohnwu

P.S. Magisk-v14.4(1444).zip is also hosted here because I do not have my own server :p
    Step-by-step

For Pixel Noobs out there including myself... Could someone post a step-by-step description of how to install Magisk, Smoke Kernel, and TWRP maybe on a separate thread?

Step by step

1. Download and extract factory image. Mine was taimen-opd1.170816.010-factory-c796ddb4.zip
    2. Once extracted go into the folder and extract image-taimen-opd1.170816.010.zip.
    There you will find the boot.img.

3. Now install MadiskManager-v5.4.1.apk
    4. Click install and select patch Boot image file.
    5. this is where you will browse to that boot.img we found earlier and select it.

Magisk will do its thing and tell you where it put the patched_boot.img

6. Go to PC and hook the phone to it, enable file transfer. I could not see the file in the MagiskManager folder from PC. So I used es file explorer on phone and made a copy in the download directory of my phone. Back to the PC I copied the patched_boot.img to my platform tools folder with adb and fastboot.

7. Held shift, right clicked, open command prompt here.
    8. Typed "adb devices" (probably not needed, i just like too) MY device was there.
    9. Typed "adb reboot-bootloader"
    10. Typed "fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    11. hit the power button on phone to reboot when it was finished.

Phone rebooted, opened Magisk Manager and I now have root. Thank you everyone. Hope this helps!
    Glad to help be a part of testing and here's to the future of root :)
    Below are the instructions from the OP: (click to show content)

Where does it say the file is to be flashed via FASTBOOT?

Yes, it is assumed that people rooting their devices KNOW this, and most do, but SOME do not.

Where does it say to move the "patched_Boot.img" file to your PC for flashing via FASTBOOT?

Again, most do know this, some do not.

This is in no way to throw shade at anyone. Think of it as a perspective reminder :D

It is possible that even when you read the instructions 20 times, SOMETIMES, there are SOME users who will not understand them; so they ask questions.

Instructions
    Since TWRP cannot decrypt /data yet, the proper way to install Magisk is via Magisk Manager. You will need a stock boot image from official factory images.
    Download MagiskManager-v5.4.1.apk from attachments and install it to your device.
    This Magisk Manager is specifically built for this release ONLY, both stable and beta channels points to the same custom URL.
    Once you've got Magisk Manager installed, I'll just copy and paste the instructions from the Magisk OP here:
    Quote:
    This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
    Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
    Magisk Manager will now patch your boot image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img
    Flash the patched boot image to your device and reboot. Voilà!

Xda IS about development, absolutely. But think about it as also developing new users, and helping others learn so they can become self sufficient.

The energy spent to make disparaging comments could just as easily be spent helping someone understand the process.

Yes it sucks to repeat yourself, yes it sucks that everyone here isn't self sufficient, but we all start somewhere, and we ALL have different levels of understanding within the root, development process.

Let's be the good part of Xda, the helpful part of Xda, and let's mentor a bunch of new users, turning them into knowledgeable Xda users.

There are 8+ MIllion users on Xda, and some are rude, mean, and grumpy; let's be better than that, and be helpful, and constructive.

Much respect to each of you!