[UPDATED][22/09/2013][APP][ANY ROM]Focal Camera apk

Did you like Focal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

ThomasHunter

Jul 14, 2013
When I first saw this app in action, I didn't think much of it, but five minutes of playing around convinced me. :)

I especially like the exposure ring, because at first it would turn my whole screen black when I tried to capture my laptop screen, but using the ring I managed to get a decent shot in the end.

This image may or may not have been accidentally enhanced by a Gallery filter. I did turn auto-enhance on but I may have put a filter on it by accident, haha. It's a bit grainy... But exposure-wise it's as good a shot I could take of a monitor as any. I'm very glad with this!

Image is attached, it's quite small because I was in a fight with the attachment limits.

Attachments

• Skitch.jpg
    Skitch.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 774

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Working on the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999), FFC force closes though, but this looks very promising. Thanks for sharing this.

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
I wish I saw this thread earlier...I've been battling my crappy internet since last night to download the CM10.2 unofficial nightly build just so I could get this app.

Anyway, thanks!! Now I'm gonna take some advil, relax, and play with this awesome app :)

btw, great download speeds at copy.com for me :)

Last edited:

Jamal Ahmed

Jun 23, 2012
Hello OP. Thanks a million for the link.

It would be a humble and deep request to keep this apk updated as changed are merged in CM and it is updated. Please. Thank you :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: creeve4

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville
Hello OP. Thanks a million for the link.

It would be a humble and deep request to keep this apk updated as changed are merged in CM and it is updated. Please. Thank you :)

+1. Would be awesome. Or point us in the direction of where such a site or thread might exist.. You're Awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

XpLoDWilD

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 19, 2009
France
www.xplod.fr
*shling* signed up to the thread. Main developer of Focal here.

1) yes, the app is in alpha. There are many cases and many devices we didn't test so you can get FC's just by using it wrong.
2) the UI is still work in progress. It's a first glimpse of what we're targeting but there is still much more to do.
3) the camera is not laggy or sluggish. Enable HDR scene mode on your nexus 4, then blame Google.
4) we won't give any support on pre-4.2 non-cyanogenmod ROMs. Your ROM, your problem.
5) you can remove unwanted buttons in the settings to have a cleaner sidebar

I'll keep an eye out here, but don't expect any magic. I'm exhausted having worked nights on the app, so I'm just taking a break for now before going back to it.

Fuzzy13

Apr 29, 2012
After comparing the focal camera to stock and the Moto X camera, the focal camera blows both out of the water. I had become partial to the X camera because it took crisper pictures than the stock but the focal camera takes even crisper pictures than the X.

Items in the background are much clearer than that of the stock camera. Color is about the same but everything is just polished up.

At least this is what I've noticed. I'm digging it.

Reactions: ilanderek

Feb 6, 2013

1) yes, the app is in alpha. There are many cases and many devices we didn't test so you can get FC's just by using it wrong.
2) the UI is still work in progress. It's a first glimpse of what we're targeting but there is still much more to do.
3) the camera is not laggy or sluggish. Enable HDR scene mode on your nexus 4, then blame Google.
4) we won't give any support on pre-4.2 non-cyanogenmod ROMs. Your ROM, your problem.

I'll keep an eye out here, but don't expect any magic. I'm exhausted having worked nights on the app, so I'm just taking a break for now before going back to it.

Hey man just want to say I really appreciate your work on Focal so far. I was really excited to find out about this yesterday when i flashed a new CM10.2 alpha for galaxy nexus. The
way the camera GUI is set up so far is pretty optimal imo. The interface for the options is sleek leaving most of the screen open for the camera view, and all the features are well grouped together and very accessible at the same time. I hope people realize that this is a Camera App and the programming is much harder than anything else for cross compatibility, especially given the fact that Focal has more features than any other camera app I've seen. For early development Focal is looking great and will be a brilliant addition to CMs array of unique tools like the File Manager and Onager-Trebuchet mod.
@XpLoDWilD Do you got any useful links for Focal development, and are there any libraries or other system files we need -probably device specific- for functionality so far.

Thanks for doing by, really looking forward to the development of this camera app! :)

KiNgSaM413

Mar 16, 2013
It doesn't run at all!

The camera keeps FCing it didn't work at all anything i can do?

Note2, Stock and Android 4.1.2

Help!

michaelsubero

Aug 1, 2013
hdr stock android vs focal hdt

The one with more vivid colors was taken with focus.

Attachments

• IMG_20130731_232324.jpg
    IMG_20130731_232324.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20130731_232309.jpg
    IMG_20130731_232309.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 417

giosico

Jul 15, 2012
Works with HTC One X
Issues:
HDR does not seem to take an HDR photo just a normal photo
Photo sphere does not seem to function, wont take any photos

Front camera works, did not try panorama

Using Cynogenmod 10.1.2-end

BravoMotorola

Oct 17, 2010
My first impression is that the framerate is significantly lower than with the stock camera - making for an overall sluggish experience.

Some random impressions while checking out its features:

- the Photosphere feature looks like a quick addition/afterthought, as the 'dots' you have to connect are just jagged sprites/images, instead of smooth circles - perhaps not that important functionality-wise, but it looks sloppy to me.

- The interface might work after a while of practice, but for now it forces me to hunt around for options too much - the ability to open more than one 'toggle group', seems more like a necessity (so that I can find the option I want) than a feature I'd use after I know where each toggle can be found (I compare it to finding a file on my computer, I know where each file/folder is, partly due to descriptive names and a clear structure. But if I needed to find something fast, I would not open all the folders until I found the file, I would just use a search function).

And I too have had the forced closes, black screen when opening it until I close the process, but that I can forgive of an... alpha-quality release.

I'm on stock 4.3 if that makes any difference.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. TL;DR for this: It need polishing

droidmeup

Sep 22, 2011
Nexus Land
Very impressive! About time that we get a very descent camera app :) All Hail Focal !

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jul 30, 2012
It's still not stable ..
rom cm10.1.2 no ISO adjustment
When will the new call it perfect: P:good:

sorry my ENG so bad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Focal apk landed in the play store as a beta, link to play store:
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FxBSX8mx0c
    For a start, I'm publishing the app on the Play Store, at this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.xplod.focal (by the time I post it, it might not yet be available, but it should be soon).
    All features but Panorama should be working fine, and many issues should be resolved. It features the new refined UI.
    I'll open a more general post on XDA apps forum

EDIT: Play Store seems to be mostly propagated. Official thread at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2453638

This is the only free camera app that won't crop the 4:3 image to fit our 15:9 screen ratios. I don't know if you can toggle it to do so, but I don't really care for cropping in the viewfinder.

Whom do I direct my comments since OP has no affiliation with the CyanogenMod team? If they are going to use black bars, then they might as well have a bevy of persistent settings; rather than having to tap multiple times to achieve minute adjustments. Further, I don't understand why this app isn't called CMera. Please call it CMera.

And two, its a RAM hog.

Introduction: Half-assed truths

I agree that CMera does not play well with HALO, but I don't agree with your second comment. Your screen caps show a very vague idea of what is actually eating your RAM. It might have something to do with the three simultaneous downloads/downloaded files (which might also be app updates) in your notification bar.

Results; and Why You're Always Wrong and I'm Always Right

For a slightly more rigorous exploration of RAM usage for the app CMera, refer to Figure 1. Strangely, the app in question is only visible in Cached Processes, not Running Services. Both apps were open simultaneously and could be swapped in and out of activity with no lag in launch or usage.

Figure 1
    sFDnHrr.jpg

For even more rigorously collected evidence, please refer to Figure 2. Upon a fresh boot, my device had 1241MB of RAM unused.

Figure 2
    lFfCnGG.jpg

Following three photos (8MP, 100 quality) and a precisely 60 sec video (1080p, 20 Gbps, 192 kbps audio), my device dropped to 1187MB of unused RAM (Figure 3).

This is a difference of (1241MB - 1187MB =) 54MB. No where close to the (680MB - 197MB =) 487MB purported by BlackElvis79's screen caps

Figure 3
    BYahOKA.jpg

Conclusions: What Does This Mean to America's Youth?

From the evidence gathered, the most reasonable conclusion is that BlackElvis79 is a poopyhead.

Source(s): Original Screen Caps and Cropped for Her Pleasure
    Any body build this today and willing to share the latest apk

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Here's a build I just made that is up-to-date as of this post.

http://www.droidbin.com/p181556nhh3tl1hqv1faf1s3m11pk3

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

For anyone having FCs on front-facing camera or other options, I have found that making it a system app and rebooting solved some of the issues. This can be done either with Titanium Backup or manually. However, I am using a Galaxy SIII, so results on Nexus 4 may vary.