[Updated/All Versions & Models!] Root OnePlus 7T Pro

Search This thread

Donny8485

Jul 17, 2020
Minor thing you may want to clarify (I know you know, but to prevent confusion for readers), you give a warning that this will wipe all data, but that is not exactly true. Unlocking the bootloader wipes all data, but that step is not part of your instructions. Just following your steps on an already unlocked phone does not wipe the phone.
There should be a warning for point 1.
A novice user could land on OP page. See point 1. Go off search Internet, see a site where they provide instructions without any warning that it wipes data Yes, it's not your problem, because that site should've provided the warning. But it's courteous to provide warning. For one, it will save someone a lot of time. User can decide whether to spend more time on this or not, once they know it wipes all data.

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
There should be a warning for point 1.
A novice user could land on OP page. See point 1. Go off search Internet, see a site where they provide instructions without any warning that it wipes data Yes, it's not your problem, because that site should've provided the warning. But it's courteous to provide warning. For one, it will save someone a lot of time. User can decide whether to spend more time on this or not, once they know it wipes all data.

You get a clear warning on your device, just before you actually unlock the bootloader, and you even have to confirm it.

escalebur

Mar 29, 2011
mohammedia
Problem dump boot.img

Hi,

According to the tuto, the first step was to dump the boot.img file, unfortunately the adb tells me that i have an issue with the permission : permission denied
HTML:
>> adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img
>> permission denied
i tried different ways : "adb root" or "adb shell su" .. :confused:

any idea, please i have to root my hotdog phone ;)

thanks a lot :good:

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi,

According to the tuto, the first step was to dump the boot.img file, unfortunately the adb tells me that i have an issue with the permission : permission denied
>> adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img>> permission denied

i tried different ways : "adb root" or "adb shell su" .. :confused:

any idea, please i have to root my hotdog phone ;)

thanks a lot :good:
OP refuses to acknowledge that his guide is wrong.
Check my 2nd post;
https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t...ot-image-oneplus-7t-pro-t3986351/post80589873

Alternatively, you can browse Guides section for a patched image for your version..
Note though; the image might not matter if you 'fastboot boot' the boot image (not flash). Then from Magisk Managers, click install > Direct Install and reboot.

Reactions: escalebur

Donny8485

Jul 17, 2020
Works like a charm!

Minor thing you may want to clarify (I know you know, but to prevent confusion for readers), you give a warning that this will wipe all data, but that is not exactly true. Unlocking the bootloader wipes all data, but that step is not part of your instructions. Just following your steps on an already unlocked phone does not wipe the phone.

Thanks to everyone who made this possible so soon!

You get a clear warning on your device, just before you actually unlock the bootloader, and you even have to confirm it.
If you don't mention here about the wiping of data, for someone doing this first time, the clear warning will be when it dawns on them about doing a full backup. Thanks for that.

cowgaR

Oct 25, 2010
Londinium
[edit] typos, added one safeguard step to TWRP
[edit2] personally not using OOS so corrected TWRP section, credit to Lossyx

Do you use OOS 10.0.10? Can you send me your patched boot.img file? I'll try to boot from it

Did you just boot from patched boot.img or you booted from already flashed boot.img?

a). If you just booted, restart the phone, you will have original kernel back. Install Magisk Manager APK and take it from there.
b). If you flashed someone's else patched boot.img, it is your problem. You should flash only yours patched boot.img from your version of OOS or LOS or anything. If you have used yours, this begs the question, how did you patched your kernel, if you don't have Magisk Manager installed on your phone.

It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread (thanks go to respective ppl) that there are 3 ways to do it, from easiest to the most reliable one:

EASY WAY - Does not work on OOS as advised by Lossyx
1. Place latest Magisk-v20.4.zip on your phone
2. Boot to TWRP 3.4.0-2 (temporarily only, do not flash it on your phone!) and flash the Magisk zip via TWRP Install method
3. Reboot to System
4. [added] Open Magisk Manager and click to Install it (even though it might say is install already) and execute Direct Install. Advised by folks, won't hurt.
5. Restart.
6. Done. Your phone should be rooted and Magisk Manager APK should be also installed.

MODERATE WAY
1. Install latest Magisk Manager APK on your phone (7.5.1)
2. Extract your own boot image and place it on your phone (guides in this thread)
Alternatively on your PC, download exact OOS version .zip that is present on your phone from official website, extract it, navigate to payload.bin and take your boot.img from there using payload dumper. Video linked in this post.
3. Patch it with Magisk Manager (guides in this thread) and upload to your computer (say as magisk_patched_boot.img)
4. Enter fastbootd
5. Flash your patched kernel: fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot.img
6. Reboot your phone. You should be rooted.
7. [added] Open Magisk Manager and click to Install it (even though it might say is install already) and execute Direct Install. Advised by video guide, won't hurt I guess.
8. Restart

STABLE WAY
Same as moderate way, but you skip point 5. You do not flash the patched-boot.img (for whatever reason) but boot your phone temporarily with this rooted kernel you have prepared.
5. Boot with patched kernel: fastboot boot magisk_patched_boot.img
6. Open Magisk Manager on your phone
7. Execute Direct Flash (guide in this thread) to patch your current untouched kernel
8. Reboot

According to the info in this thread, stable way does not produce wifi/network problems - but those are usually due to people mixing the process or making way too much errors in the process while rooting (like using someone's else OOS 10.0.9 kernel and they expect it work on their OOS 10.0.10)

Last edited:
Reactions: hyperorb

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Did you just boot from patched boot.img or you booted from already flashed boot.img?

a). If you just booted, restart the phone, you will have original kernel back. Install Magisk Manager APK and take it from there.
b). If you flashed someone's else patched boot.img, it is your problem. You should flash only yours patched boot.img from your version of OOS or LOS or anything. If you have used yours, this begs the question, how did you patched your kernel, if you don't have Magisk Manager installed on your phone.

It has been mentioned multiple times in this thread (thanks go to respective ppl) that there are 3 ways to do it, from easiest to the most reliable one:

EASY WAY
1. Place latest Magisk-v20.4.zip on your phone
2. Boot to TWRP 3.4.0-2 (temporarily only, do not flash it on your phone!) and flash the Magisk zip via TWRP Install method
3. Reboot to System
4. Done. Your phone should be rooted and Magisk Manager APK should be also installed.

MODERATE WAY
1. Install latest Magisk Manager APK on your phone (7.5.1)
2. Extract your own boot image and place it on your phone (guides in this thread)
3. Patch it with Magisk Manager (guides in this thread) and upload to your computer (say as patched_boot.img)
4. Enter fastbootd
5. Flash your patched kernel: fastboot flash boot patched-boot.img
6. Reboot your phone. You should be rooted.

STABLE WAY
Same as moderate way, but you skip point 5. You do not flash the patched-boot.img (for whatever reason) but boot your phone temporarily with this rooted kernel you have prepared.
5. Boot with patched kernel: fastboot boot patched-boot.img
6. Open Magisk Manager on your phone
7. Execute Direct Flash (guide in this thread) to patch your current untouched kernel
8. Reboot

According to the info in this thread, stable way does not produce wifi/network problems - but those are usually due to people mixing the process or making way too much errors in the process while rooting (like using someone's else OOS 10.0.9 kernel and they expect it work on their OOS 10.0.10)
You should probably add that easy way only works on custom ROMs, since OOS decryption does not work on 7T/Pro.

Otherwise it's a good write-up, and I myself recommend the Stable Way, never had problems with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowgaR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!

2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img

adb pull /boot_a.img pathinyourpc

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command

adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    Here are the files for 10.0.4 update-
    Magisk patched boot img
    Original boot img

All procedures are the same. Press Thanks if this helped you!
    Edit: This works well for 10.0.7 (tested). I had a bootloop on 10.0.8 and uses MSM Download Tool to restore 10.0.7.

To help people that did not understand how to do everything (like me the first time 👼), here how I done it :).

Prerequisites:

While the phone is on, reboot to fastboot using the advanced reboot menu or the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Now the phone is on fastboot, temporarly boot on twrp (only boot, not flash):
    Code:
    fastboot boot ./twrp.img

This will reboot the phone to TWRP after few seconds.
    TWRP is not working (no decryption) BUT it allows to use adb commands (on the computer).

To get the boot image from the phone:
    Code:
    adb pull /boot_a.img "C:\Users\YOUR SESSION NAME\Desktop"

Now click on TWRP: reboot > system. The system will reboot to Android.

Note: boot_a.img size is around 98 Mb for 10.0.7. If you have something below like 20 Mb, then you do not have a full boot image! You have to restart the procedure.

Next follow steps 3 to 8 (download magisk, then patch the boot image, then flash it to the phone).
    Note: The magisk patched boot.img will be on download folder (android side, not PC)

How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!
    2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command
    Code:
    adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    I had to re-root my phone. And I noticed there were some issues with OPs thread so here are the steps I took in order to get a successful root on the 10.0.7.

1. Unlock your phone.
    2. Download twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325 (step 5)
    3. Put your phone in fastboot-mode and type: fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img
    4. Go inside TWRP (Swipe right)
    5. Run these commands while your phone showing TWRP recovery normally and connected to your pc.
    adb pull /boot_a.img c:\android\
    Note: You'll now get a boot_a.img on your pc at c:\android\boot_a.img
    6. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone
    7. Copy the c:\android\boot_a.img over to your phone
    8. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then check these:
    > Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity
    > Preserve force encryption"
    Then select the top "Install" button -> Tap "Install" -> Tap: "Select and patch a file" and select the boot_a.img from earlier.
    9. on your phone you'll see where the magisk creates a new patched boot image. Transfer this file over to your pc. You'll likely need to reconnect the cable in order to refresh folder data to locate the new file.
    10. Put your phone in fastboot-mode
    11. Run these commands:
    fastboot --set-active=b
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
    12. Phone will now boot with no wifi working. That's normal. Open Magisk and tap top "Install"-button again. Now click Direct Install. Then Reboot.
    Note: If for some reason Magisk hangs during step 12 above you'll need to restart from step 11 again. Dont rush it when you start Magisk. Leave the phone alone for a minute after booting up and you should succeed.

That's it. Worked for me.