[Updated/All Versions & Models!] Root OnePlus 7T Pro

Search This thread

skyrestyo

Jun 25, 2012
Just sold my beloved 5t and bought the 7t pro. Didn't know that twrp is not supported for this device yet. (Originally was going to get the 7pro but found a discount and the difference is only $10)
Can someone please share the pros and cons of this method in comparison to the traditional method?
I mainly root for Adaway but now is leaning toward not rooting for a while until twrp is fully functional.
Also in the events of bootloop, is it fairly easy to revert back like with twrp?

Thanks in advance!

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just sold my beloved 5t and bought the 7t pro. Didn't know that twrp is not supported for this device yet. (Originally was going to get the 7pro but found a discount and the difference is only $10)
Can someone please share the pros and cons of this method in comparison to the traditional method?
I mainly root for Adaway but now is leaning toward not rooting for a while until twrp is fully functional.
Also in the events of bootloop, is it fairly easy to revert back like with twrp?

Thanks in advance!
No cons in terms of actually rooting, but fixing a bootloop might be a bit harder
https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t-pro/how-to/guide-remove-magisk-modules-twrp-t3995677

If you are running canary of Magisk i think there is a safe mode you can enable by holding a volume key upon boot.

hyperorb

Nov 30, 2013
Can anyone share stock boot image for 10.3.4.HD11AA Onpelus 7t Pro Indian variant if possible?

Thanks in advance.

Download the firmware from https://www.oneplus.in/support/softwareupgrade/details?code=PM1574162297465
Use payload dumper from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=818070582850510260 or https://downloadmirror.co/1MX7/payload_dumper-win64.zip to extract the boot image. Use this tutorial if required https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uQBOfRIsM

Last edited:

vikram. vikie

Nov 15, 2016

Yeah did that and got the boot image. I was a bit short of data on that day. So I thought instead of downloading the full ROM I could get some help getting the boot image alone ?

ganeshisking

Aug 9, 2013
Nagpur
www.technetforum.com

I hav one plus 7 t Pro hd1911 want to install twrp m on latest update

But whenever i installed twrp m unable to access internal storage using twrp or laptop n after that when i try to start my phone its shows no os installed

temp twrp also fine as i only want nandroid backup

How i. Can do that

Hw4ng3r

I hav one plus 7 t Pro hd1911 want to install twrp m on latest update

But whenever i installed twrp m unable to access internal storage using twrp or laptop n after that when i try to start my phone its shows no os installed

temp twrp also fine as i only want nandroid backup

How i. Can do that

Nandroid is iffy right now. There is some post of it working for some on the unofficial TWRP thread.

If you're on stock OOS, backups are not working.
Not being able to access internal storage is because TWRP can't decrypt.

Last edited:

vladnik

Oct 8, 2011
Munich
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem and could use some help.
I originally started from 10.0.7 and rooted with method provided in this thread.
I then was careless and did all OTA updates without any prerequisites. I'm now on 10.0.10.HD01BA.

I followed stable way from cowgaR and also followed video tutorial from TechStuff, but I always get stuck on OOS boot logo.
It will just spin forever.
Even if I do "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img" instead of "fastboot boot magisk_patched.img" it doesn't boot, just spin.

Did I make my phone unrootable by performing OTA-Update without proper procedure, like in this video?

Is there a way out of this situation without wiping everything and starting from scratch?

All input is much appreciated.

razers7t8

Dec 13, 2017
Wow, I've never had a phone that is this difficult to root. The entire reason why I bought this phone is because I thought it was rootable. This is so frustrating. I unlocked the bootloader. Isn't there just a oneclick root app?

Hw4ng3r

Wow, I've never had a phone that is this difficult to root. The entire reason why I bought this phone is because I thought it was rootable. This is so frustrating. I unlocked the bootloader. Isn't there just a oneclick root app?

? It is rootable and pretty straight forward with the methods a few posts back.

Just as an FYI you may also want to back up your efs and persist before you go tinkering.

Last edited:

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
It's not really difficult at all.

There is another way;
fastboot boot twrp
from pc, adb push magisk.zip /cache
In twrp, go to cache folder and flash magisk File.

"The entire reason why I bought this phone is because I thought it was rootable"
It still is?

meetpatel

Aug 27, 2014
Ahmedabad
You should probably add that easy way only works on custom ROMs, since OOS decryption does not work on 7T/Pro.

Otherwise it's a good write-up, and I myself recommend the Stable Way, never had problems with it.
Perfect guide. One more question, I am rooted with megisk and I want to update OOS version, what are the steps.?

AmarGaming

Apr 16, 2019
Ned Twrp & img for op7t pro.....I'm getting Twrp mount error.....my phone bootloader unlocked

Thanks in advance

lowrider82

Jan 26, 2012
Has anyone managed to root the latest firmware 10.012.HD01AA for OP7T Pro using this guide? It doesn't work for me, and latest magisk doesn't offer options for Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption. With the exception of Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption that isn't possible in my magisk version (the latest), i follow all others steps and I can't get WIFI functionality back, while also the phone crashes after a while and restarts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!

2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img

adb pull /boot_a.img pathinyourpc

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command

adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    Here are the files for 10.0.4 update-
    Magisk patched boot img
    Original boot img

All procedures are the same. Press Thanks if this helped you!
    Edit: This works well for 10.0.7 (tested). I had a bootloop on 10.0.8 and uses MSM Download Tool to restore 10.0.7.

To help people that did not understand how to do everything (like me the first time 👼), here how I done it :).

Prerequisites:

While the phone is on, reboot to fastboot using the advanced reboot menu or the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Now the phone is on fastboot, temporarly boot on twrp (only boot, not flash):
    Code:
    fastboot boot ./twrp.img

This will reboot the phone to TWRP after few seconds.
    TWRP is not working (no decryption) BUT it allows to use adb commands (on the computer).

To get the boot image from the phone:
    Code:
    adb pull /boot_a.img "C:\Users\YOUR SESSION NAME\Desktop"

Now click on TWRP: reboot > system. The system will reboot to Android.

Note: boot_a.img size is around 98 Mb for 10.0.7. If you have something below like 20 Mb, then you do not have a full boot image! You have to restart the procedure.

Next follow steps 3 to 8 (download magisk, then patch the boot image, then flash it to the phone).
    Note: The magisk patched boot.img will be on download folder (android side, not PC)

How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!
    2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command
    Code:
    adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    I had to re-root my phone. And I noticed there were some issues with OPs thread so here are the steps I took in order to get a successful root on the 10.0.7.

1. Unlock your phone.
    2. Download twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325 (step 5)
    3. Put your phone in fastboot-mode and type: fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img
    4. Go inside TWRP (Swipe right)
    5. Run these commands while your phone showing TWRP recovery normally and connected to your pc.
    adb pull /boot_a.img c:\android\
    Note: You'll now get a boot_a.img on your pc at c:\android\boot_a.img
    6. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone
    7. Copy the c:\android\boot_a.img over to your phone
    8. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then check these:
    > Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity
    > Preserve force encryption"
    Then select the top "Install" button -> Tap "Install" -> Tap: "Select and patch a file" and select the boot_a.img from earlier.
    9. on your phone you'll see where the magisk creates a new patched boot image. Transfer this file over to your pc. You'll likely need to reconnect the cable in order to refresh folder data to locate the new file.
    10. Put your phone in fastboot-mode
    11. Run these commands:
    fastboot --set-active=b
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
    12. Phone will now boot with no wifi working. That's normal. Open Magisk and tap top "Install"-button again. Now click Direct Install. Then Reboot.
    Note: If for some reason Magisk hangs during step 12 above you'll need to restart from step 11 again. Dont rush it when you start Magisk. Leave the phone alone for a minute after booting up and you should succeed.

That's it. Worked for me.