[Updated/All Versions & Models!] Root OnePlus 7T Pro

Search This thread

Hw4ng3r

Has anyone managed to root the latest firmware 10.012.HD01AA for OP7T Pro using this guide? It doesn't work for me, and latest magisk doesn't offer options for Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption. With the exception of Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption that isn't possible in my magisk version (the latest), i follow all others steps and I can't get WIFI functionality back, while also the phone crashes after a while and restarts.

I had to do a clean install on 10.0.12 HD01AA and Magisk/root works fine (using v21.1; I use TWRP and adb pull the boot.img instead of what is listed in the OP of this guide). The Advanced Settings will only show up "legacy devices" now with Magisk Manager v8.x.x (you don't need to worry about the dm-verity and force encryption anymore on the 7T Pro with latest Magisk Manager).

Last edited:

Soul_Viper

Oct 19, 2018
Hi everybody!!

I have tried method explained here by OP but the commands "adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img" failed in my case, so decided to read almost a half of the posts here without solution for me...

Most of the users who succeed with this method were on stock oxygen, but when I bought the op7t pro the first thing I did was unlocking device and then installing lineage os.

So, which would be the faster method to root the phone considering I have lineage recovery and not twrp?

Thanks in advance!!

Lossyx

Jan 14, 2014
OnePlus 7T Pro
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hi everybody!!

I have tried method explained here by OP but the commands "adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img" failed in my case, so decided to read almost a half of the posts here without solution for me...

Most of the users who succeed with this method were on stock oxygen, but when I bought the op7t pro the first thing I did was unlocking device and then installing lineage os.

So, which would be the faster method to root the phone considering I have lineage recovery and not twrp?

Thanks in advance!!
Are you on lineage now? You can just extract the boot from payload bin and patch it. Works with every rom.

Lots of good info, but obviously apply this accordingly (i.e use your rom zip and boot image).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!

2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

adb shell dd if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a of=/boot_a.img

adb pull /boot_a.img pathinyourpc

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command

adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    Here are the files for 10.0.4 update-
    Magisk patched boot img
    Original boot img

All procedures are the same. Press Thanks if this helped you!
    Edit: This works well for 10.0.7 (tested). I had a bootloop on 10.0.8 and uses MSM Download Tool to restore 10.0.7.

To help people that did not understand how to do everything (like me the first time 👼), here how I done it :).

Prerequisites:

While the phone is on, reboot to fastboot using the advanced reboot menu or the following adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader

Now the phone is on fastboot, temporarly boot on twrp (only boot, not flash):
    Code:
    fastboot boot ./twrp.img

This will reboot the phone to TWRP after few seconds.
    TWRP is not working (no decryption) BUT it allows to use adb commands (on the computer).

To get the boot image from the phone:
    Code:
    adb pull /boot_a.img "C:\Users\YOUR SESSION NAME\Desktop"

Now click on TWRP: reboot > system. The system will reboot to Android.

Note: boot_a.img size is around 98 Mb for 10.0.7. If you have something below like 20 Mb, then you do not have a full boot image! You have to restart the procedure.

Next follow steps 3 to 8 (download magisk, then patch the boot image, then flash it to the phone).
    Note: The magisk patched boot.img will be on download folder (android side, not PC)

How to root any version of the OnePlus 7T Pro!

1. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked!
    2. Once you're unlocked enter the following ADB commands to extract your current boot image (Your phone needs to be on)

3. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone

4. Put the boot_a.img file on your phone

5. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then enable "Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity & Preserve force encryption", then select the top "Install" button and select "Patch to boot image" and select the boot_a.img

6. Now magisk will create a magisk patched boot image file, put that on your computer

7. Now enter the following ADB command
    Code:
    adb reboot fastboot

fastboot --set-active=a

fastboot boot pathtomagiskpatched.img

8. Now you'll boot into the system, reopen the magisk app and click the top install button again and select "Direct install", then reboot

Congratulations you've now successfully rooted your phone!
    I had to re-root my phone. And I noticed there were some issues with OPs thread so here are the steps I took in order to get a successful root on the 10.0.7.

1. Unlock your phone.
    2. Download twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/7t-pro-mclaren/how-to/how-to-guide-root-oneplus-7t-pro-t4021325 (step 5)
    3. Put your phone in fastboot-mode and type: fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-5-hotdog-unified-mauronofrio.img
    4. Go inside TWRP (Swipe right)
    5. Run these commands while your phone showing TWRP recovery normally and connected to your pc.
    adb pull /boot_a.img c:\android\
    Note: You'll now get a boot_a.img on your pc at c:\android\boot_a.img
    6. Download & install Magisk Manager on your phone
    7. Copy the c:\android\boot_a.img over to your phone
    8. Open the magisk manager app and click the "Advanced Settings" button, then check these:
    > Prserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity
    > Preserve force encryption"
    Then select the top "Install" button -> Tap "Install" -> Tap: "Select and patch a file" and select the boot_a.img from earlier.
    9. on your phone you'll see where the magisk creates a new patched boot image. Transfer this file over to your pc. You'll likely need to reconnect the cable in order to refresh folder data to locate the new file.
    10. Put your phone in fastboot-mode
    11. Run these commands:
    fastboot --set-active=b
    fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
    12. Phone will now boot with no wifi working. That's normal. Open Magisk and tap top "Install"-button again. Now click Direct Install. Then Reboot.
    Note: If for some reason Magisk hangs during step 12 above you'll need to restart from step 11 again. Dont rush it when you start Magisk. Leave the phone alone for a minute after booting up and you should succeed.

That's it. Worked for me.