• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Updated Camera Pro App

Search This thread

Yakkosmurf

I've been playing around with this on the 5 II, and it works fine. I like the new interface.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
The interface has quite a few changes. I took a dozen or so photos and I'm happy with the results but I'll leave it to pixel peepers to pass judgement.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
My icon for Photo Pro stayed but it opened the updated version. Since the basic app is included in the updated app, I deleted the old basic camera app. The settings I had set stayed the same with the upgrade.

Yesterday I walked 7 kilometers taking photos and I'm very happy with the upgrade. HDR is improved and while I'm not a pixel peeper I like the photos. They stand cropping well.

Reactions: PPGX5II

Yakkosmurf

Yeah it replaces the old one. I'm hoping to get out more this weekend to test it out.

Right now I'm keeping the basic app installed. I like being able to launch either app quickly to capture a picture, as I have different settings for both. But maybe I'll get comfortable with using the one app as I play with it more.

PPGX5II

My icon for Photo Pro stayed but it opened the updated version. Since the basic app is included in the updated app, I deleted the old basic camera app. The settings I had set stayed the same with the upgrade.

Yesterday I walked 7 kilometers taking photos and I'm very happy with the upgrade. HDR is improved and while I'm not a pixel peeper I like the photos. They stand cropping well.
Yeah it replaces the old one. I'm hoping to get out more this weekend to test it out.

Right now I'm keeping the basic app installed. I like being able to launch either app quickly to capture a picture, as I have different settings for both. But maybe I'll get comfortable with using the one app as I play with it more.
Thanks for the confirmation, in that case I will wait for Sony to formally update Photo Pro App(if we are lucky enough). If there is a way we can install new one without replacing current one, let me know, I would also like to test it out.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I deleted the standard photo app from my home screen but it's in my app drawer. When I click on it the old standard photo app runs. When i click on the icon for Photo App Mark III, version 1.2.A.0.17, I get the new Photo Pro app which includes a new Basic Mode which replaces the previous camera app. That's kind of confusing but it you run the new Mark III Photo App it's the basic and pro both. It's all you need.

I also read that you can go to apps and uninstall the new version if you don't like it. I like it so I haven't tried that.

PPGX5II

I deleted the standard photo app from my home screen but it's in my app drawer. When I click on it the old standard photo app runs. When i click on the icon for Photo App Mark III, version 1.2.A.0.17, I get the new Photo Pro app which includes a new Basic Mode which replaces the previous camera app. That's kind of confusing but it you run the new Mark III Photo App it's the basic and pro both. It's all you need.

I also read that you can go to apps and uninstall the new version if you don't like it. I like it so I haven't tried that.
Thanks for more info! Few more questions before I install the app:
Do we need to clear cache of current Photo Pro app before installing new one or direct install works?
What is working nicely(improved) vs what is not working(new features) in this new App?
Anyone got Monthly OTA updates after installing app, if yes was there any problems?

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I didn't clear any cache. I simply installed the new app and the existing icon called it up. The only thing not working for me is turning on Photo Pro with the camera key but I rarely did that anyway. I never do videos so I don't know about videos.

I got a Google Play update but that's all.
20210529_112410.jpg

steffanos

Mar 20, 2021
I didn't update Photo Pro to the new version, but I am looking how can I set generally to turn on Photo Pro app with Camera key?

EDIT: Solved.

Last edited:

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I get confused. First, I never use the double-press power button to turn on camera. If I'm walking to the store and suddenly see something I touch the power, no press, and the phone opens to the home page and I touch the photo pro icon. Then the app opens to whatever mode I used last, which is usually programmed mode. This morning before sunrise I was using the shutter speed mode, S mode, and every time I opened Photo Pro it was on S mode.

If I'm out taking photos I have the photo pro app on and when I touch the power button--just the fingerprint sensor---the phone wakes up in the Photo Pro app.

Also, fwiw, I took the old Camera App, not Photo Pro, off my home screen. It's still in the app drawer and still works but I don't use it. I'm waiting for the "official" release of the new Photo Pro to delete it.

I've taken a lot of photos with the new Photo Pro app and have had zero problems.

Reactions: SirRobin78

kamekaz3

Dec 30, 2010
Ok, but with newest camera Update, this option is gone...
Search "camera" in settings and you should see the option "Quickly open camera." If I recall the first time you do this it'll ask which camera you would want to launch. If you use fingerprint it'll also unlock the phone so you can go through the album. If not it'll still work but you can only see photos you've just taken.
You can also set photo pro to "Last used mode" under setup -> Shooting mode at launch.

No need to actually unlock the phone, no need to press on the app. Essentially the same as pressing the camera button.
Screenshot_20210611-102217.png
Screenshot_20210611-102240.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll be 80 this month and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nothing else is what it used to be, either. I was chatting with my sister on the phone last night and she mentioned that my photos have been sharper the last couple of months. I don't know if it's the new software, my sister's imagination, or what. I'm still having a lot of fun with this phone/camera.
    I used xperi+ app to map google assistant button to open Photo Pro.
    I've been playing around with this on the 5 II, and it works fine. I like the new interface.

I didn't try the new version. In fact I did try it for a few seconds then uninstalled. Not having the ability to open the new camera version with the button is a downside. Anyway I didn't buy the Sony for the camera, I bought it for the audio.
    Wise decision. Design and sound pretty much the only good things about latest Sony flagships. Camera is only good on paper, hardware wise.