• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Updated Camera Pro App

Search This thread

kamekaz3

Dec 30, 2010
Don't know about that, I still use the old version. Didn't want to update it via APK file, not sure how it would be functioning.
The Photo Pro app itself will launch but you can only use the Basic mode of it, which is essentially the basic camera app. It'll ask you to unlock your phone if you try to get into any other mode. You can just also remove the update to get back to stock version if you don't find something working either.

mdshaman

Mar 31, 2012
The Photo Pro app itself will launch but you can only use the Basic mode of it, which is essentially the basic camera app. It'll ask you to unlock your phone if you try to get into any other mode. You can just also remove the update to get back to stock version if you don't find something working either.
wait, so if I'm still on a locked bootloader and/or rooted, the updated photo pro app will not work? just the basic camera app?

Didgesteve

Nov 24, 2011
Truro
No, it will replace the basic camera and you can toggle between the 'Pro' camera and basic via a wheel on the app.
It works fine on stock, pretty sure it will work on rooted. You can always uninstall it it it doesn't

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
someone knows why Sony doesn't update this app (Photography Pro) automatically? I have the Xperia 5 II and the only way to update this app is... to download manually the .apk file from apkmirror.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
It wasn't written for the Xperia 5 II but someone, in Russia, I believe, stripped it out from an Xperia 1 III and posted an APK. It worrks on both the 1 II and 5 II. Perhaps it's not 100% compatible and that's why we see some of the complaints in this thread. Sony doesn't have to deal with the complaints since they didn't release the software.

Reactions: KnockOut^9

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
It wasn't written for the Xperia 5 II but someone, in Russia, I believe, stripped it out from an Xperia 1 III and posted an APK. It worrks on both the 1 II and 5 II. Perhaps it's not 100% compatible and that's why we see some of the complaints in this thread. Sony doesn't have to deal with the complaints since they didn't release the software.
ya, it's true. But we talk about two top-range devices of 2020, not mid-range or old devices.
In my opinion those smartphones deserves updates for the Camera App (same with security patches and Major update).

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I'm 80 years old and have been married twice. My expectations have dropped considerably. Of course, I'm still getting updates on my Xperia 5 II but I didn't expect to get the new Photo Pro software. I'm quite happy with the version I downloaded and have no idea whether there is any newer out there.

steffanos

Mar 20, 2021
I see the installation file from Apkmirror, version

Sony Photography Pro 1.1.1.A.0.12 from 14th of July.​

I currently use Xperia 5 ii, so I am wondering about the experience.. is the application supported on this model, won't there be any mistake with attempt of installation this app on Xperia 5 II? This Basic mode looks quite interesting.

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I got the June 1 security update this morning but no July update. My phone is from Europe, I think, and I'm in Mexico. My latest system update is 58.1.A.5.280 on July 21.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't try the new version. In fact I did try it for a few seconds then uninstalled. Not having the ability to open the new camera version with the button is a downside. Anyway I didn't buy the Sony for the camera, I bought it for the audio.
    Wise decision. Design and sound pretty much the only good things about latest Sony flagships. Camera is only good on paper, hardware wise.
    I'll be 80 this month and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nothing else is what it used to be, either. I was chatting with my sister on the phone last night and she mentioned that my photos have been sharper the last couple of months. I don't know if it's the new software, my sister's imagination, or what. I'm still having a lot of fun with this phone/camera.
    I used xperi+ app to map google assistant button to open Photo Pro.
    I've been playing around with this on the 5 II, and it works fine. I like the new interface.

My icon for Photo Pro stayed but it opened the updated version. Since the basic app is included in the updated app, I deleted the old basic camera app. The settings I had set stayed the same with the upgrade.

Yesterday I walked 7 kilometers taking photos and I'm very happy with the upgrade. HDR is improved and while I'm not a pixel peeper I like the photos. They stand cropping well.
    I didn't try the new version. In fact I did try it for a few seconds then uninstalled. Not having the ability to open the new camera version with the button is a downside. Anyway I didn't buy the Sony for the camera, I bought it for the audio.
    Wise decision. Design and sound pretty much the only good things about latest Sony flagships. Camera is only good on paper, hardware wise.