• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Updated Camera Pro App

Search This thread

PPGX5II

Humm, not sure.
Last OS security update did replace the camera pro app back to .12 and I had the .17 installed.
But that didn't happen this time.
It did not change anything respect to Photo Pro on my XQ-AS62 for July Security Patch (58.1.A.5.280). I installed 1.2.A.0.17 prior to the update and it's still same. You can simply check if you could open Photo Pro using Shutter button to make sure that Sony updated it or not. I don't think Sony will update this App on 1 II or 5 II, looking at past trends. I am now more interested in getting newer versions from 1 III, whenever available.

arturiu

Feb 22, 2013
It did not change anything respect to Photo Pro on my XQ-AS62 for July Security Patch (58.1.A.5.280). I installed 1.2.A.0.17 prior to the update and it's still same. You can simply check if you could open Photo Pro using Shutter button to make sure that Sony updated it or not. I don't think Sony will update this App on 1 II or 5 II, looking at past trends. I am now more interested in getting newer versions from 1 III, whenever available.
Yep , it still launches the normal camera. So, it seems it is the side loaded version. But my last update did restore the pro app back to .12 (and I had .17 on my XQ-AS52).

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I'll be 80 this month and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nothing else is what it used to be, either. I was chatting with my sister on the phone last night and she mentioned that my photos have been sharper the last couple of months. I don't know if it's the new software, my sister's imagination, or what. I'm still having a lot of fun with this phone/camera.

MirceaViP

I'll be 80 this month and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Nothing else is what it used to be, either. I was chatting with my sister on the phone last night and she mentioned that my photos have been sharper the last couple of months. I don't know if it's the new software, my sister's imagination, or what. I'm still having a lot of fun with this phone/camera.
80. Amazing! Good luck and I wish you well. As for the software it's a new version has to be improved.

WarVic

Apr 24, 2010
I didn't try the new version. In fact I did try it for a few seconds then uninstalled. Not having the ability to open the new camera version with the button is a downside. Anyway I didn't buy the Sony for the camera, I bought it for the audio.
Wise decision. Design and sound pretty much the only good things about latest Sony flagships. Camera is only good on paper, hardware wise.

Reactions: MirceaViP

WarVic

Apr 24, 2010
I like the camera. I like the photo UI. I like the control I have when I take a photo. I haven't had a significant problem with the autofocus that wasn't understandable.
I like all abovementioned too but I do not like results, direct output from the cameras. Perhaps I was spoiled by Pixels, latest iPhones and Galaxies or even by LG V60 ThinQ, In vacuum Xperia cameras are the best, no doubts :).

patrickt

Apr 8, 2021
I like all abovementioned too but I do not like results, direct output from the cameras. Perhaps I was spoiled by Pixels, latest iPhones and Galaxies or even by LG V60 ThinQ, In vacuum Xperia cameras are the best, no doubts :).
If what you want is an exquisite point-and-shoot with incredible AI then get a Pixel or a Huawei or Xiaomi. And, I'm not knocking them. My Huawei p30 pro was wonderful and I wasn't having much fun. That's not what Sony is doing and they don't pretend it is. I don't use all the different brands but I like the PhotoPro software. I like shooting before dawn when I'm walking my dog and being able to set a custom white balance and use it until I wander into different street lighting pleases me. It's fun and the results meet my needs. That's why my mirrorless Fuji and it's lenses sits in the closet.

WarVic

Apr 24, 2010
If what you want is an exquisite point-and-shoot with incredible AI then get a Pixel or a Huawei or Xiaomi. And, I'm not knocking them. My Huawei p30 pro was wonderful and I wasn't having much fun. That's not what Sony is doing and they don't pretend it is. I don't use all the different brands but I like the PhotoPro software. I like shooting before dawn when I'm walking my dog and being able to set a custom white balance and use it until I wander into different street lighting pleases me. It's fun and the results meet my needs. That's why my mirrorless Fuji and it's lenses sits in the closet.
Oh, okay. I tried my best to get great shots out of Xperia 1 / 5, 1 II / 5 II and I actually did... sometimes. That "sometimes" wasn't good enough for me (and for the price I paid for Xperia phones) so now I stick with LG V60 ThinQ which has not only delivers better photos straight out of the camera but also has better sound indeed. When I wanna take great shots without missing moment I still prefer to take my old good Cannon 5D Mark III with outstanding lens... :).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't try the new version. In fact I did try it for a few seconds then uninstalled. Not having the ability to open the new camera version with the button is a downside. Anyway I didn't buy the Sony for the camera, I bought it for the audio.
    Wise decision. Design and sound pretty much the only good things about latest Sony flagships. Camera is only good on paper, hardware wise.
    I used xperi+ app to map google assistant button to open Photo Pro.
    I've been playing around with this on the 5 II, and it works fine. I like the new interface.

My icon for Photo Pro stayed but it opened the updated version. Since the basic app is included in the updated app, I deleted the old basic camera app. The settings I had set stayed the same with the upgrade.

Yesterday I walked 7 kilometers taking photos and I'm very happy with the upgrade. HDR is improved and while I'm not a pixel peeper I like the photos. They stand cropping well.