UPDATED Dark gmail-you asked for it i found it

drexman8244

Jan 3, 2010
Dark Gmail FOUND Version 2.3.2 (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/104950-inverted-2-3-2-gmail-test-release.html) I pulled the apk from the update zip from the link (dont want to take any chances flashing it)

UPDATE- Replaced the check boxes on the left of your emails with the gingerbread ones to better tie the whole dark theme in with gingerbread!

EDIT if having issues
go into recovery, and mounting both /system/ and /data/

Remove old gmail

adb shell

rm /system/app/gmail.apk

rm /system/app/gmail.odex

PUSH NEW GMAIL
adb push Gmail.apk /system/app/

exit

reboot.

:cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

unremarked

Jun 18, 2009
Out There
Dark Gmail FOUND (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/104950-inverted-2-3-2-gmail-test-release.html) I pulled the apk from the update zip from the link (dont want to take any chances flashing it)

Remove old gmail

adb shell

rm /system/app/gmail.apk
rm /system/app/gmail.odex
exit

unmount /system from recovery

reboot.

I then Pushed the apk to system/app from android Commander, someone with better adb knowledge please post the adb commands

screenshots to come after i blurr out my email
:cool:
Much thanks once again! :) :) :)

Blacks are so sexy on this phone, beyond just looking great(where's the screen, where's the casing, I don't know!) and the power savings.

nxt

Jun 5, 2006
Southern California
Hmm this is odd, I'm having issues.
ADB Push is giving me permission denied.
I also have Root Explorer and made sure /system/app is read/write access.
I also tried using Root Explorer to move the gmail.apk to /system/app and rebooting several times and nothing. Gmail app won't start at all.
Also tapping on gmail.apk to try to install it to /system/data gives a, "installation not succeed"

I have root working just fine, do I need to install the unsecure boot image?

jroid

Jan 8, 2009
I also tried using Root Explorer to move the gmail.apk to /system/app and rebooting several times and nothing. Gmail app won't start at all.
Also tapping on gmail.apk to try to install it to /system/data gives a, "installation not succeed"

hmm. Make sure your root is secure. denied on adb push sounds like a root issue to me

Anderdroid

Dec 25, 2009
Palo Alto
ninjafighteronline.com

Try adb remount

brian6685

Apr 1, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Okay so I followed the steps, except I just did it with root explorer since I don't have a computer by me. The new gmail.apk just kept saying that it would not install so I put the old one back, and now that one won't install either. Help please? :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

drexman8244

Jan 3, 2010
Okay so I followed the steps, except I just did it with root explorer since I don't have a computer by me. The new gmail.apk just kept saying that it would not install so I put the old one back, and now that one won't install either. Help please? :)

Delete gmail.apk and gmail.odex from system/app with root explorer.
then dont install the black version just copy and paste in into system/app and reboot
that should work

Reactions: ajftl

drexman8244

Jan 3, 2010
my apologies, guess youll have to wait until you get near a computer unless someone else can guide you in a better direction with root explorer

brian6685

Apr 1, 2010
Atlanta, GA
my apologies, guess youll have to wait until you get near a computer unless someone else can guide you in a better direction with root explorer
Do you think it will work with a computer and adb, at least to get my stock gmail back? I dunno why it would be different then root explorer.

drexman8244

Jan 3, 2010
sure

Do you think it will work with a computer and adb, at least to get my stock gmail back? I dunno why it would be different then root explorer.

Definately would work with a pc and adb. but glad your back to normal for now. let me know how it turns out with the pc

nxt

Jun 5, 2006
Southern California
Yeah this is weird. Before I had to do it in recovery and adb push, and it worked.
Now with the updated gmail i tried that, and it won't push, i move it with root explorer, rebooted, and gmail isn't detected.
keeps giving me permission denied again.
I think we need an updated root.

brian6685

Apr 1, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah this is weird. Before I had to do it in recovery and adb push, and it worked.
Now with the updated gmail i tried that, and it won't push, i move it with root explorer, rebooted, and gmail isn't detected.
keeps giving me permission denied again.
I think we need an updated root.
Just delete gmail.apk from system/apps and then download from market and it will install

brian6685

Apr 1, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Definately would work with a pc and adb. but glad your back to normal for now. let me know how it turns out with the pc
Yeah ill try when I get home with adb. Maybe it doesn't work with root explorer because the system is running when you delete gmail or something. Thanks anyways! Ill get it working and report back later :)