Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
request someone to clarify by these below line:
You can Skip GPT and Boot-loader Partitions if you want
But Keep in mind that You Cannot DOWNGRADE These 2 Partitions.
What does the downgrading mean here?
For clarification, I'm currently on Resurrection Remix 5.8.4 showing android version 7.1.1

1) Downgrading GPT/bootloader only is a concern with stock (Motorola) firmware. Custom ROMs such as Resurrection Remix do not generally even touch the GPT/bootloader.
2)By downgrading, we mean flashing an older stock firmware than what is currently on your device. Due to the sparsity of stock ROMs for some regions, users may be tempted to flash older stock firmware to revert to stock (Motorola) ROM.
3)The bootloader and GPT generally will block you from flashing older versions of the GPT/bootloader due to security checks. You would see this error as a preflash validation error - security downgrade.
4)Because of 3), you may result in a newer bootloader and older system, both of different patch levels. Thus, it becomes very risky to update via OTA updates. OTA updates in this situation have been known to hard brick devices through corrupting the bootloader by flashing older updates over a newer bootloader. A resolution at the moment appears to using the Motorola Z2 Play blankflash to rescue your device, but means you have to flash Motorola Z Play bootloaders, the combination of which would mean you'd likely get a working device but unlikely to accept future stock OTA updates.

In other words, don't downgrade stock firmware if you can, or if you do, do not blindly accept OTA updates. Motorola does not appear to support downgrading whatsoever anyway.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Could this ROM [https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/ota-npn25-137-83-t3682841] be used as an alternative? I'm asking because I hope this is the next version of NPN 137 67?

NPN25.137-83 is the US Potter firmware, and isn't meant for Indian devices. The update path seems to be NPN25.137-33>NPN25.137-35 >NPNS25.137-35-5/NPN25.137-43-5 > NPN25.137.83.

As you've possibly flashed a stock ROM not meant for your device then hard bricked, then used the Motorola Z2 Play blankflash to recover your device, you now appear to have a Moto Z Play bootloader (at least looking at your getvar all info). Resolving this completely with stock firmware might not be possible, due to your device having a bootloader from another, albeit similar device. That explains the preflash validation errors when flashing the bootloader - the Moto Z bootloader now on your device is blocking attempts to flash another bootloader as the new flash appears to not to match the expected signatures/is too old to be accepted by your existing bootloader.

It's difficult to say what state your device is in since you were able to flash the Brazil/Indian firmware, then taking the August OTA may have corrupted your bootloader partially as the OTA updates don't appear to check your bootloader as much as fastboot does. I'm concerned by taking the G5+ August OTA on the Moto Z bootloader you'd have partially hard bricked your device (but still have functioning fastboot).

What happens if you attempt to re-flash the stock firmware but not flashing GPT/bootloader? Do you still not boot? Obviously, do not accept OTA updates if you do boot.

Reactions: 22sumit

lovekesh9896

Feb 19, 2017
currently i am on resurrection remix nougat android -7.1.2_r24 - NJH47D , kernal 3.18.62-lineage-g86cdbd9, device model XT1686. can i flash this firmware? i am downloading NPN25.137-67-5 for XT1686 (Indian Varient). i am from INDIA.

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
currently i am on resurrection remix nougat android -7.1.2_r24 - NJH47D , kernal 3.18.62-lineage-g86cdbd9, device model XT1686. can i flash this firmware? i am downloading NPN25.137-67-5 for XT1686 (Indian Varient). i am from INDIA.

Yes, you can Flash the following firmware :

spiritflare01

Sep 19, 2015
Toronto
Thanks - This process worked, but 2 commands returned errors:

>fastboot erase customize
erasing 'customize'...
(bootloader) Permission denied
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.007s

>fastboot erase clogo
erasing 'clogo'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.006s

Other than that, it was fine.

I have the US version, NON Amazon. (64/4)

acejavelin

Recognized Contributor
Sep 3, 2009
Lincoln, ND
Thanks - This process worked, but 2 commands returned errors:

>fastboot erase customize
erasing 'customize'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.007s

>fastboot erase clogo
erasing 'clogo'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.006s

Other than that, it was fine.

I have the US version, NON Amazon. (64/4)
The retail Moto G5 Plus does not have those partitions, so that is the expected result... completely normal.

Reactions: spiritflare01

lovekesh9896

Feb 19, 2017
stuck at bootloader unlock warning. after 5 min android logo and no command
edit: above error during locking bootloader but without locking bootloader just flashing works for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer :
    Code:
     I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. 
     YOU are choosing to make these modifications,
     and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     and[COLOR="Red"] I am also not responsible for anything happens as a result of flashing these files[/COLOR]

Hey Guys,
    Here are the Stock Firmwares for potter

Lets Proceed :

1) Install Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120698566

2) Extract stock firmware zip

3) Now copy all the stuff that is in this zip into the folder where you extract the firmware.

4) Turn on ADB debugging from dev options menu and use 'adb reboot-bootloader' (Without quotes) in cmd to reboot your phone into boot-loader mode

5) Open the extracted firmware folder then press SHIFT+right click in the folder where you extract the firmware and select 'open command window here' option

6) and then Paste the following commands and hit Enter :

Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash oem oem.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot

This Script will not Re-Lock Your Boot-loader

But if you want to Re-lock your bootloader, then use the following commands: (Thanks to @Nirbhay2 and @aSaro12)
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot oem lock
    And After Flashing it Please Re-flash the whole firmware again :
    Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot
    But if you Don't want to do it manually, Here's the automated BAT script for you;
    Just copy and paste it to the extracted folder (Thanks to @Tech_Savvy) : Download Here
    This Script will not Re-lock the Boot-loader

----

You can Skip GPT and Boot-loader Partitions if you want
    But Keep in mind that You Cannot DOWNGRADE These 2 Partitions
    And if you try to do so, then you'll Possibly end up with HardBrick
    You will need the appropriate version of the firmware according to your device version
    SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION

Firmware Download Links :

1) NPN25.137-67-5 for XT1686 (Indian Varient)
    Download Directly from Motorola Servers
    Mirror 1 -pCloud
    Mirror 2 -Google Drive
    Mirror 3 -Dropbox
    ---
    2) NPN25.137-35-5 for all Amazon (US) variants : Link N/A
    and NPNS25.137-83 for Non-US Amazon Variant : Link N/A
    and for the Non-Amazon Variants NPN25.137-83 : Link N/A
    ---
    3) NPNS25.137-35-5 for Retail GB varient (Thanks to skooter32 for info) Link N/A
    And NPN25.137-83 : Link N/A
    ---
    4) NPN25.137-15 for Brazil-Mexico varient (XT1681 - XT1683) Link N/A
    -----

Choose Carefully which one to flash

Special Thanks to rikk and @anuraag.neo For Capturing Indian varient zip!​
    if you like my work then please hit that THANKS ? Button!
    I got my phone hardbrick once. However after looking different forums and trying out things my phone came back to life. But when i try to flash stock rom, i just can't flash it as it keeps on saying can't downgrade. If i skip those 2 gpt and bootloader, can i flash the stock rom? Currently i am using twrp flashed firmware.

You should be okay to flash the stock ROM without flashing GPT and bootloader, however I would suggest do not accept OTA updates. Accepting OTA updates whilst having a bootloader of a different patch level or from a different device (as in the unbrick guide) might hard brick you again. OTA updates are only suitable for devices that have the bootloader and system at the same patch level.

Else, I'd suggest flashing a newer TWRP flashable firmware build, as these don't generally affect your bootloader and there appears to be a NPN25.137-67-5 build https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/development/rom-twrp-flashable-stock-builds-t3675616

Yes, you can Flash the following firmware :

This work on xt1687?

Don't think so, the XT1687 should be the US variant of the G5 Plus, and the NPN25.137-67-5 is the Indian ROM.

You probably want to look for the NPN25.137-83 stock ROM.
    Thread closed at the request of the OP
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone