[UPDATED Feb14][How-To] Root AML8726-MX Generic Devices

Search This thread

aggourodolmas

Sep 24, 2010
Athens
Confirmed

I confirm that the best and easiest way to root your AML8726-MX tablet device is KingoRoot.
Few days ago I rooted my Somy A5 (jb 4.1.1) chinese tablet with AML8726-MX Soc and work like a charm. Now looking for something further.
Any idea how to flash CWM recovery so I can install a custom ROM based on 4.2.1?

Reactions: neurodreamer

x585x

Oct 3, 2008
Nitra
CWM and AML8726-MX

Hi, aggourodolmas,

I have already asked about CWM everywhere, nobody even depreciated. See my older post here.
I think they are two versions of the CPU AML8726-MX, the newer (approx. summer/2013) is still not broken, I think.

My tablet is FERGUSON REGENT TV8 and I have a complete oNANDroid backup (download here -> CWM and TWRP), for any info I am available.

Last edited:

mrdreamers

Oct 16, 2009
Texas
i have a zeki quad core 4.4.2 tablet and i tried it but it wont flash in stock recovery i get a system abort in stock recovery what can i do to root this tab??

UPDATE!!
i successfully rooted it now im looking for a custom recovery that supports my device can anyone help?:confused:

Last edited:

reb00tz

May 30, 2011
Thanks !!!!
This works for my Viewsonic VB100a pro using 4.1.1

Hey @thye666, how, in the first place, did you find updated firmware? :) Mine is stuck at 4.0.4 and I am this close to throwing it away; slow CPU, sure, but pretty gorgeous screen; enough for serious reading in bed on this thing, so it'll be a pity to dump this; just want to see if any new builds would help!

valakas

Aug 20, 2011
:good: Android 4.2.2

Works great with SoGo SS-4325. I used the utoo-root for the Android 4.2.2 system.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: zero-simba

thye666

May 25, 2010
Hey @thye666, how, in the first place, did you find updated firmware? :) Mine is stuck at 4.0.4 and I am this close to throwing it away; slow CPU, sure, but pretty gorgeous screen; enough for serious reading in bed on this thing, so it'll be a pity to dump this; just want to see if any new builds would help!

Hi I am sorry to say that i already throw the system years ago. Now i am not using that system.
As for the firmware, its from a Chinese site which no more exist now.

shone79

May 30, 2009
GoClever Terra 101-Android 4.2.2 - Work!!!

Thanks to a developer. On my tablet USB port not work, and one click root can`t be applied. I tried all exploits available, and none of them work. There is no way to root, and I slowly gave up, but then I found this, and it work like a charm.

Thanks again.

Reactions: JBolho

sithi.w

Nov 30, 2015
If flashing fails, I presume the chance of bricking the device is fairly unlikely?

I would like to root my device, the i-Mobile i Tab dTV (CPU: Amlogic AML8726-MX Dual-core 1.5GHz; GPU: Mali-400MP2; RAM = 1 GB, ROM = 8 GB, Android 4.2, with built-in digital TV tuner) so badly. However, since there is no official firmware download provided by the manufacturer (and, anyway, there is no flashing software, like Odin, LGUp, or SP Flash Tool to flash such firmware if something wrong happens to the device), I would like to ask for some opinion on the risk of flashing either the Crystal-root, or the utoo-root zip file as posted above. If the flashing does not succeed, it will likely simply fails (i.e. no harm to the device); or there is a considerable chance of bricking the device?

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration

CXZa

Apr 9, 2013
cxzstuff.blogspot.com
I would like to root my device, the i-Mobile i Tab dTV (CPU: Amlogic AML8726-MX Dual-core 1.5GHz; GPU: Mali-400MP2; RAM = 1 GB, ROM = 8 GB, Android 4.2, with built-in digital TV tuner) so badly. However, since there is no official firmware download provided by the manufacturer (and, anyway, there is no flashing software, like Odin, LGUp, or SP Flash Tool to flash such firmware if something wrong happens to the device), I would like to ask for some opinion on the risk of flashing either the Crystal-root, or the utoo-root zip file as posted above. If the flashing does not succeed, it will likely simply fails (i.e. no harm to the device); or there is a considerable chance of bricking the device?

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration

Yes, those should fail then if they cannot mount the system.
Also zip signing might differ -> fail.

If your device is i-mobile i-TAB DTV (DTV88473), this Baidu user seem to
have firmwares for it: http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=1344771212
There is packages both for sd and usb-burning method.

Checked a bit in case yours is this DTV88473.
System filesystem ext4, so utoo version should work.
Some "new" "chksum_list" file is in the root of the system.
That kind of file was not in the older firmwares, 4.11 stock etc.
so I don't know about that. According to this thread at FreakTab it's not used.
http://freaktab.com/forum/developme...rom-building-tips-and-tricks-by-finless/page7

sithi.w

Nov 30, 2015
Reply to CXZa

Dear Sir;

My sincere thanks for your prompt and very detailed helpful advice. I will be busy these couple days. However, this weekend when I'm free, I'll undertake your kind advice and report back to you.

Best regards, and many thanks again.

CoperaN

Aug 6, 2013
Bridgetown
Question

I have a China made Android TV Box with the same specs, as it says on the Box: Jelly Bean Dual Cortex-A9 Dual Mali-400

Model#: MBX reference board(g18ref)
Android version: 4.2.2
Kernel version: 3.0.50(cafu.computer@gmail#13
Fri Mar 13 16:43:00CST 2015
Build#: JDQ39_20141205

I think by now my question is obvious: Would this work on a TV Box?

I've been searching for ways to root and update the firmware on the thing and came across this thread.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a (very) small how-to regarding Root on Generic (unbranded, mostly called "MID") Android Tablets with aml8726-mx platform.

This file was made originally for Ainol Novo 7 Crystal tablet, but it works (or should work) on all devices based on the following platform:

AML8726-MX System-On-Chip, AMLogic Meson6 gXX costumer platform
    Cortex A9 Dual-Core CPU @ 1.5Ghz
    1Gb Ram
    Dual-Core Mali400 GPU
    Android ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1

Other exploits have been tried, like Bin4ary's method, Doomlord's method, SRS Root, One Click Root, but all of them can't seem to work (for now) for these devices when Android ICS 4.0.4 or Jelly Bean 4.1.1 is present. So, if you own one of these devices, use this file to gain Root access.

1 - Put the zip file on the root of your SD card
    2 - Reboot to recovery (with the device off, press the Vol - and Power button together until it enters recovery)
    3 - Select (using Vol keys) "apply update from EXT"
    4 - Select the file and run it pressing the Power button
    5 - Reboot your device

You should see before Android finishes loading a small notification saying "Android is updating", and after it finishes loading, if you go to the App drawer, you should see SuperSU installed.

UPDATE:

It seems that some of these devices that come with newer versions of Android have EXT4 FS instead of UBIFS.
    XDA Member Lannig has managed to edit the META-INF file of the "Crystal-Root.zip", re-compress it and re-sign it.
    With his permission, and by suggestion of XDA Member AbliB, i'm posting Lannig's root file here in the OP, so that users with these AmLogic devices with EXT4 File System can have root.

Credits for the original root file (Crystal-Root.zip) go to Soulflier @ Slatedroid.com

Credits for the alternative root file go to Lannig @ XDA
    Hi Lanning,
    As you have managed to get this updated and trusted, do you mind sharing the zip file which has the [mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");] in it?
    Thanks in advance. :good:
    Sorry for the late reply. Here it is: http://ge.tt/api/1/files/2ujyScg/0/blob?download
    Oh, and I'm Lannig, thanks. No 'n' before final 'g' :)
    Before I proceed to this rooting method, is this method possible for TM-MID730 4.1.1 tablet device?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Anyway in 4.1 folder, which of those two is the ROM? the other one has a file size of 400+mb o_O that's huge

To know if this file will root your device, you have to see if your device's hardware matches the description (AML8726-MX board with Dual Mali MP400 GPU)
    If this is your hardware, it's 90% guaranteed it will work. It's not 100% guaranteed because some manufacturers tinker with their Roms and kernels and change some key permissions, system file locations, and partition managing. Anyway, even if it does not work, it should not brick your device.

The Rom link you are quoting is for Viewsonic VB100 tablets, not your device, so even if this root method works for VB100's, you should not try other manufacturer's Roms unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Just an advice...
    Dude....you rock. I have been trying for days to root my dad's Zeki 7" 4.1.1 Jelly Bean tablet. This worked without any problems. Just flashed the zip and waited for Android to update and....rooted. Now, I got this bad boy looking like a Nexus 7. And with Google Play!!!

Thanks for your contribution....I will give donation once I have enough money because this is just plain awesome!!!! :good:
    Hello - may I have some help here, guys?
    This zip does install on my tablet but it does nothing. I've figured out why: my UTOO tablet is AML8726-MX based but its 4.2.1 Android uses an ext4 /system filesystem, not ubifs.
    Based on update packages published by the manufacturer, I have figured out that I need to change one line in the updater-script to:
    Code:
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");
    Easy enough to modify the script and rebuild the zip file (yes I do this on a Linux box) but obviously I need to re-sign it.
    All my attempts based on various tools and tutorials found here and there have failed, I get an "installation aborted" at the package verification phase, so I presume that it's not properly signed.
    Can anyone please point me at the right way to re-sign the modified zip?
    Thanks in advance.

EDIT : made it ! eventually. I've found a small signer.zip archive made by a user called Skelton on a french-speaking forum that contains a bat file and all that's needed to resign an APK or an update ZIP file (I don't have the link at hand, biut Googling "signer.zip Skelton" will find it).
    What this script does really doesn't look very different from what I had been trying earlier, but obviously there must be a difference because it works !
    Comments on this still welcome.