• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Updated: Nov 14] M2D App Launcher (Added New Features: See Video Presentation)

Search This thread

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
okay so i used the new version all day yesterday and i gottta say, MUCH faster than the older one.

GREAT work.
thanks.

thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to make the code more efficient in redrawing in order to gain more speed. And i will add additional feature of managing links and folders such as renaming/adding/deleting folders and copying/moving/renaming links afterwards.

secoseco

Mar 26, 2006
WWE
thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to make the code more efficient in redrawing in order to gain more speed. And i will add additional feature of managing links and folders such as renaming/adding/deleting folders and copying/moving/renaming links afterwards.

Hi greatbal

and if you add alphabet overlay to chose the name of the program like in iContact it will be great

thx

DeathAxe

Apr 15, 2008
More efficiency and custom languages

Hi greatbal,

I just found your app and must confess it is pretty a good thing to make windows more useful. I would place some suggestions here:

1. I am using iContacts, which is written in native C++. It uses the same scrolling features, like your M2D App Launcher but seems to run much more fluently on my device. Maybe writing your app in pure C++ code could help reducing memory ussage and speed up drawing?

2. A kind of language pack support would be nice. Is it possible to load strings and menues from resources, so I could create a MUI-File for my language?

3. Is it possible to enable 32bit icon support in your application? This would help to make application icons look much better, especially the large folder icons. One could link 32bit icons for each shortcut, which is ignored by windows, but could improve the look and feel of M2D App Launcher.

4. I converted most of my HH_ files for Manila2d to png to reduce memory ussage. This causes M2D App Launcher to crash as it uses some bmps. M2D App Launcher could maybe look for both bmps and pngs of each image file to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Last edited:

rstoyguy

Jan 6, 2008
I rearrange my start menu, and I noticed your app seems to only handle directories immediately off the \windows\start menu\programs folder. For example here is my gaming startmenu:

\windows\start menu\programs\games
\windows\start menu\programs\games\arcade
\windows\start menu\programs\games\card games
\windows\start menu\programs\games\strategy

Your app sees the programs in the first folder fine, but it doesn' t seem to have a way to get into the other three folders. Is this on the "to-do" list? It would be great if it could handle nested start menu's...

That would make this a killer app!

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
Hi greatbal,

I just found your app and must confess it is pretty a good thing to make windows more useful. I would place some suggestions here:

1. I am using iContacts, which is written in native C++. It uses the same scrolling features, like your M2D App Launcher but seems to run much more fluently on my device. Maybe writing your app in pure C++ code could help reducing memory ussage and speed up drawing?

2. A kind of language pack support would be nice. Is it possible to load strings and menues from resources, so I could create a MUI-File for my language?

3. Is it possible to enable 32bit icon support in your application? This would help to make application icons look much better, especially the large folder icons. One could link 32bit icons for each shortcut, which is ignored by windows, but could improve the look and feel of M2D App Launcher.

4. I converted most of my HH_ files for Manila2d to png to reduce memory ussage. This causes M2D App Launcher to crash as it uses some bmps. M2D App Launcher could maybe look for both bmps and pngs of each image file to solve this issue?

Thanks.

Hi there. Thanks for the comments.

1) I'm not too well-versed in writing C++. The only project i had with that is a "Hello World" app (lol) and an app to launch a single application. I prefer using Net CF.

2)I used very limited text string s(Menu texts and "No files in this directory" only). And of course the "About" strings. hehe. But, I'll consider rewriting to load strings from a resource.

3) I'm using the SHGETFILEINFO to get the handle of the icon in the System Image List. So, it's limited to how Windows handle icons. A solution would be to be able to use custom "icons" in png format to override the current system folder icons. I'm working on that now.

4) I'm working on a stand alone application that uses custom graphics which you can easily change without depending on the M2D graphics. But, there would be an option still to use M2D graphics files if you want to. I plan to use png's with alpha channel to handle transparency.

Again thanks for your inputs.

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
I rearrange my start menu, and I noticed your app seems to only handle directories immediately off the \windows\start menu\programs folder. For example here is my gaming startmenu:

\windows\start menu\programs\games
\windows\start menu\programs\games\arcade
\windows\start menu\programs\games\card games
\windows\start menu\programs\games\strategy

Your app sees the programs in the first folder fine, but it doesn' t seem to have a way to get into the other three folders. Is this on the "to-do" list? It would be great if it could handle nested start menu's...

That would make this a killer app!

Yes, I mentioned that on the first post as one of the limitations. But, I'll consider that in the next updates. Because of the design of this app to place all folders icons on the tabs bar, I may have to extract your sub-folder details and contents and place them on the tab too. It's an option for an easy way out. hehe. But, I'll think about it. :)

shadowmike

Feb 6, 2008
Cleveland
facebook.com
any wm standard support foreseen in the future
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen59.png
    Screen59.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 555
  • Screen60.png
    Screen60.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 545
  • Screen61.png
    Screen61.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 549

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
Change log:

Build 11142008:
1) New feature: Copy and Move links between folders. Please see video presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOeJ4-zDW4
2) Faster and smoother scrolling.
3) Same as build 11142008, your M2D graphics files should be in \Windows folder. Otherwise, it will crash.

Attached build 11142008. Please test and post feedbacks. Thanks! :)

PS: Sorry for the poor quality of the video presentation. :(

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
Change log:

Build 11142008:
1) New feature: Copy and Move links between folders. Please see video presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOeJ4-zDW4

NOTE: Tap-and-hold on a link and drag-and-drop to COPY or MOVE to a specific folder. Default is "MOVE TO" but you can drag the icon to "COPY TO" if you are copying the link to a folder.
2) Faster and smoother scrolling.

3) Same as build 11142008, your M2D graphics files should be in \Windows folder. Otherwise, it will crash.

Ok, I added the instruction on how to copy/move items. Sorry, I forgot. Good thing someone asked me. hehe :p (ANyways,you can see it in the video presentation. However poor the quality is. hehe :D

toniolol

Jul 30, 2007
Hi,
works nice on my Trinity !
Just an issue : the about menu doesn't work ;)
I don't know how to change the default image of my folders, someone could redirect me in the good section please ?

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
Hi,
works nice on my Trinity !
Just an issue : the about menu doesn't work ;)
I don't know how to change the default image of my folders, someone could redirect me in the good section please ?

Ooops. I forgot to add the "About" sub-menu! hehe :p

Thanks. Will add that one important item on the next update. hehe :D

Re customizing folder icons, try Search here and Yaho/Google. Try search words HOW TO CUSTOMIZE FOLDER ICONS. This thing had been discussed several times in the past (3 years). Good luck. :)

Basically, it's just dropping an icon.lnk inside your folders. THe icon.lnk pointsto a dll that contains your customized icons. This is much like in the Windows desktop counterpart.

Last edited:

benthere06

Oct 20, 2008
Will this work on TF3D as is? or do you still have to install M2D? I have a sprint TP and wanted to install it but i don't want to mess up my touch flow 3D?

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
Will this work on TF3D as is? or do you still have to install M2D? I have a sprint TP and wanted to install it but i don't want to mess up my touch flow 3D?

The reason why this works with M2D only at the moment is because it uses the current M2D theme graphics. Please see first post for the files needed.

At the moment, if you want to make this work on systems without M2D, You have to manually copy the appropriate files (from M2D themes you can find on the M2D Themes/Skins thread) to the \Windows folder.

But, I'll make this as a stand-alone application, so that people without M2D installed can try and use this. please watch out for it.

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
400+ downloads for build 11142008 and there are only 3 comments. tsk... :(

Either it's totally useless, or totally working as planned. (I don't want to guess...)

I'm almost done with the option to re-arrange folders according to user preferred order. Feedbacks on build 11142008 would be highly appreciated (especially bugs) so I can fix before releasing the next update.

What to expect in the future updates:

1) re-arrange folder's order (next update)
2) stand-alone application but with option to use M2D graphics (if installed on the device) - soon
3) customized folder graphics - soon
4) customized skin - soon

Feedbacks please. Thanks! :)

toniolol

Jul 30, 2007
You're right, only 3 comments... and I'm of them so don't count this message...
Just to give another feedback of the latest release, very nice !
I just recab it because I launch it as a stand alone app, so I'm glad to see that it will be a real one, with an icon for the link !!!
Next features will be very nice, can't wait for it !!!!!
How dev language do you use for it ?
Thanks for your nice work !

greatbal

Mar 18, 2006
You're right, only 3 comments... and I'm of them so don't count this message...
Just to give another feedback of the latest release, very nice !
I just recab it because I launch it as a stand alone app, so I'm glad to see that it will be a real one, with an icon for the link !!!
Next features will be very nice, can't wait for it !!!!!
How dev language do you use for it ?
Thanks for your nice work !

I'm using Visual Studio 2005. so, netcf 2.0 (or later) is required to run this application.

Thanks! :)