• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [Updated] Terrible battery life and charging speeds...perhaps not!

Search This thread

dreamtheater39

Oct 3, 2004
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
I can't believe that such a perfect watch is let down by such a terrible battery situation. Dies in 20hrs if you use all the bells and whistles (an hour of lte on standby, streaming Spotify on lte to a bt headset, an hour of fitness activity) and then regular usage with connection to phone over bt, no aod and raise to wake.

20 hours if I'm lucky....end up having to charge a couple times a day. I'm alright doing this....but......

The charging time...geez, 2 hours for full charge is ridiculous. Give me a wired charging setup which takes half the time, I'd be happier.

Unfortunately, I love the watch too much....and a daily price I'll be paying for it. Hope they'll fix this $h1t with better software.

• Haha
Reactions: sesnut

bsvinod

May 13, 2009
Bangalore
OnePlus 8
Here the same in Indian Version Galaxy watch 4 LTE Classic. I love the watch but terrible battery life. I don't know why they are

giving these many features and a little battery. The battery wont last for going thru all the features. Sleep tracking also eating

my battery a lot. One night it consumes more than 15% for sleep tracking. Now I am using the LTE always OFF. This gives a

little battery more. Watch is having these many features and always I have to OFF all the features. What is the point in giving

this much money.

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
Dreamtheater, what version of watch do you have? Is it a LTE version? I'm always curious about these posts about poor battery time. I have the classic 46 mm and it is rare that a charge lasts less than 2 days. The only time I have less than 2 days is when I'm using GPS frequently. I'm probably doing a workout every other day and I have all functionality on. I typically walk 5,000 - 7,000 steps a day. Using bedtime mode when I sleep (blood oxygen off). I only use bluetooth for conectivity.

Reactions: galaxys

dreamtheater39

Oct 3, 2004
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
Dreamtheater, what version of watch do you have? Is it a LTE version? I'm always curious about these posts about poor battery time. I have the classic 46 mm and it is rare that a charge lasts less than 2 days. The only time I have less than 2 days is when I'm using GPS frequently. I'm probably doing a workout every other day and I have all functionality on. I typically walk 5,000 - 7,000 steps a day. Using bedtime mode when I sleep (blood oxygen off). I only use bluetooth for conectivity.
Analysing what's eating up most of my battery life - it's Spotify, took down a whopping 18% bite out of it....a 1 hour run on LTE with music streaming to my bt headphones...

I wish it would have been less power hungry....will try YouTube music with offline downloads and try

MajorHawk

Aug 16, 2017
It's been giving me a decent battery life, with continuous heart rate detection on and AOD off.
Screenshot_20210919-204953.jpg

nafroman

Sep 12, 2014
Analysing what's eating up most of my battery life - it's Spotify, took down a whopping 18% bite out of it....a 1 hour run on LTE with music streaming to my bt headphones...

I wish it would have been less power hungry....will try YouTube music with offline downloads and try
I'm on my 4th power cycle, have the watch for few days

I can confirm Spotify defiantly drains the battery even when noting is playing.
I was listening to Spotify yesterday evening before charging the watch, after the watch reach 100% I've put it on my wrist and went to sleep with sleep tracking and no playing music.
when I woke up I saw the big drain during the night about 22% - thought it was the sleep tracking so I've open the battery stats just to found that Spotify drain my battery by 5% during the night just by running in the background on the watch - very annoying.
all the time I need to close background apps so noting drain the battery while not in use.

Regardless, for battery optimization I can add that the NFC for unknown reason make the hourly drain harder
(3% per hour.. while it's not even logged in the battery stats)

for reference I've got the 42mm BT only classic model
and my wife has the 40mm regular BT only model.

her watch drained slower and that is way I've notice the NFC drain mentioned -
on my watch it was ON and on her watch it was OFF and her watch lost only 1% per hour while watch is on the wrist but not in use and mine lost 3-4% per hour... after I've turned it OFF the hourly drain went down.

my watch last about 24 hours (no AOD, no WIFI, no NFC, no GPS, few notification, no workouts, about two hours of Spotify listening)

I really hope Samsung and Google are working hard on battery optimization,
and with additional third party apps optimization we will soon see better battery life overall.
I can live with two days - two days of battery would be great.
(my previous watch was Garmin not so smartwatch but at least the battery last 10 days with no sweat)

Reactions: MilgeS

xshunin

Mar 28, 2009
In all the watches and fitness bands I always had to make a battery downgrade which is really frustrating. I started with a Miband which had two weeks battery but it wasn't a full fledged smartwatch but fullfilled my needs. Then I had a Vector which had like one month of battery life (eInk, no GPS, no Touch) I just needed it for notifications and weather. Then fitbit bought vector which was then bought by google and the watch apps slowly died.
Then I got my first "full fledged" smartwatch with the Galaxy Watch 1 which had around a week of battery life (BT Version 46mm) And now I am down to two days MAX. It's really really sad because like all the other posters here, I love the watch.

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
I know how you feel, which is why I hesitate to upgrade from my Gear S3, BUT, to be fair, that's still more than double the battery life of the world's most popular line of smartwatches - just sayin'...

Reactions: fliptwister

dreamtheater39

Oct 3, 2004
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
Alright, looks like i figured what was killing my battery - it's spotify with streamed music over LTE! and allowing spotify to live in the background (need to force stop spotify when you're done using it!)

attached images - 5pm to 7pm > 74% to 26% with just spotify on lte!
Otherwise looks like it hits the 40hrs estimate

Attachments

• batt2.jpeg
    batt2.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 76
  • batt1.jpeg
    batt1.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

spyderveloce

Jun 15, 2008
I haven't read every post in this thread, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with my LTE GW4. Coming from a Watch Active 2 (non-LTE) where I took it off the charger at 6:30am and put it on again at 11pm and still had 40-50% battery left, I'm seeing the almost exactly the same battery life on my LTE GW4 with the same average use. I rarely use LTE, and in fact only just learned after a while that it wasn't even properly linked to my account. Walked to another building today for lunch at work and forgot my phone and the watch finally jumped to LTE on its own and showed a VOLTE icon while away from my phone. It was like that for at least an hour and FINALLY no overheating or "Emergency Calls Only". Battery didn't take much of a hit since I'm at 55% right now at about 6:45pm.

dreamtheater39

Oct 3, 2004
Bangalore
www.youtube.com
Slowly turning on features back on and seeing how it affects battery life. I'm happy that having continuous heart rate monitoring has minimal impact on battery life! Sleep tracking (no spo2), continuous HR tracking, 10hrs overnight and at 85% battery - impressive!

Attachments

• batt3.jpeg
    batt3.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

LarasLTU

Oct 11, 2021
Does this hint with Media Cotnrol work for anybody? I put Show media controls to Off (the same when set via Wearable app, also did several restarts to be sure), however watch activates media controls immediately once Youtube is launched on phone... - seems like a bug to me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Otro totalmente decepcionado. Para qué sirve este reloj si lo tengo que llevar todo apagado para que me dure la batería un día? El mío es 46mm LTE. Me gustaba más mi watch 1 que me duraba la batería 5 días.
    *Sigh* Coming from my Gear S3, with which I get a solid 3+ days of battery life, I find it positively depressing that this is considered 'decent' battery life now... 😣
    I meant it in the context of this thread 😁.

I was listening to Spotify yesterday evening before charging the watch, after the watch reach 100% I've put it on my wrist and went to sleep with sleep tracking and no playing music.
    when I woke up I saw the big drain during the night about 22% - thought it was the sleep tracking so I've open the battery stats just to found that Spotify drain my battery by 5% during the night just by running in the background on the watch - very annoying.
    all the time I need to close background apps so noting drain the battery while not in use.

Regardless, for battery optimization I can add that the NFC for unknown reason make the hourly drain harder

on my watch it was ON and on her watch it was OFF and her watch lost only 1% per hour while watch is on the wrist but not in use and mine lost 3-4% per hour... after I've turned it OFF the hourly drain went down.

my watch last about 24 hours (no AOD, no WIFI, no NFC, no GPS, few notification, no workouts, about two hours of Spotify listening)

and with additional third party apps optimization we will soon see better battery life overall.
    (my previous watch was Garmin not so smartwatch but at least the battery last 10 days with no sweat)
    Fair enough... 😔
    I know how you feel, which is why I hesitate to upgrade from my Gear S3, BUT, to be fair, that's still more than double the battery life of the world's most popular line of smartwatches - just sayin'...
    Otro totalmente decepcionado. Para qué sirve este reloj si lo tengo que llevar todo apagado para que me dure la batería un día? El mío es 46mm LTE. Me gustaba más mi watch 1 que me duraba la batería 5 días.
    I can't believe that such a perfect watch is let down by such a terrible battery situation. Dies in 20hrs if you use all the bells and whistles (an hour of lte on standby, streaming Spotify on lte to a bt headset, an hour of fitness activity) and then regular usage with connection to phone over bt, no aod and raise to wake.

20 hours if I'm lucky....end up having to charge a couple times a day. I'm alright doing this....but......

The charging time...geez, 2 hours for full charge is ridiculous. Give me a wired charging setup which takes half the time, I'd be happier.

Unfortunately, I love the watch too much....and a daily price I'll be paying for it. Hope they'll fix this $h1t with better software.
    *Sigh* Coming from my Gear S3, with which I get a solid 3+ days of battery life, I find it positively depressing that this is considered 'decent' battery life now... 😣