[Updated!] Unofficial CleanROM for M8

Search This thread

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
This isn't official yet but given that CleanROM by @Scott is currently not being developed so I'm considering providing unofficial build of CleanROM for the Verizon and GSM M8 community alike. I'm a noob at this so if there's any issues, I will appreciate it if you guys can bring it up to me. Please indicate your interest on whether you will like me to provide you with these builds.

Disclaimer:
By no means this builds are supported by @Scott so please do not drop him any PM on bugs.
If he does mention that I'm not allowed to do so, I will respect his decision and remove the build :)

Features:
-Based on Android 6.0 Sense 7
-Whatever you get in CleanROM

Instructions:
-Do a nandroid backup of your previous ROM
-Full wipe and flash Unofficial CleanROM 1.0.0
-Report back whether it works fine for you or not
For GSM users:
-Flash Clumsy Kernel after flashing ROM

Downloads:
Unofficial CleanROM 1.1.0

Credits:
-santod040 (For the base of the ROM. Thread here.)
-Scott (For his CleanROM and mods)
-Clumsy (For his Clumsy Kernel)

Last edited:
Reactions: xdadevnube

cntryby429

Aug 27, 2013
Washington D.C.
This isn't official yet but given that CleanROM @Scott is currently not being developed so I'm considering providing unofficial build of CleanROM for the Verizon and GSM M8 community alike. I'm a noob at this so if there's any issues, I will appreciate it if you guys can bring it up to me. Please indicate your interest on whether you will like me to provide you with these builds.

Disclaimer:
By no means this builds are supported by @Scott so please do not drop him any PM on bugs.
If he does mention that I'm not allowed to do so, I will respect his decision :)

If you're not working with him then it doesn't seem like you should be calling it clean rom. If you're looking to make and share your own debloated but very stock rom that's inspired by his clean roms then go ahead and give him a shout out in the op but call it your own.

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
I'm going to have to reflash marshmallow or something because santod040 stock rooted takes me back to recovery also

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk 2

Are you on Lollipop firmware? Which variant of the M8 did you flash it on? :)

Edit: for those that are scared of flashing a test build, I can confirm that 1.1.0 has booted up fine for me and I'm currently setting up the build :cowboy:

Last edited:

jakegub

Aug 30, 2009
Augusta, GA
I'm going to have to do this.... I miss Scott. I'll try to get it done tonight, although to be fair the Pre-official release Marshmallow rom I'm using is working without any trouble, so I hate asking for trouble with unnecessary ROM switches. On the other hand...This forum is full of flash-o-holics like myself who quite literally can't help themselves.

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Are you on Lollipop firmware? Which variant of the M8 did you flash it on? :)

Edit: for those that are scared of flashing a test build, I can confirm that 1.1.0 has booted up fine for me and I'm currently setting up the build :cowboy:

M8_WLV PVT shipped S-off CID_VZW__001 HBOOT-3.19.0.0000 Radio-1.14.20..0930 OPEN DSP-V51.2.2-00593-M8974-F0.1015 OS-6.21.605.3 eMMc-boot 2048mb Feb 3 2016 21:05:10.0 vzw htc one m8 from 2014..

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
M8_WLV PVT shipped S-off CID_VZW__001 HBOOT-3.19.0.0000 Radio-1.14.20..0930 OPEN DSP-V51.2.2-00593-M8974-F0.1015 OS-6.21.605.3 eMMc-boot 2048mb Feb 3 2016 21:05:10.0 vzw htc one m8 from 2014..

I'm sorry for not being off much help. I've losted touch with M8 development for 9 months and currently trying to catch up with things over time. Maybe @dottat, @krazie1 can chip in and help out?

I'm going to have to do this.... I miss Scott. I'll try to get it done tonight, although to be fair the Pre-official release Marshmallow rom I'm using is working without any trouble, so I hate asking for trouble with unnecessary ROM switches. On the other hand...This forum is full of flash-o-holics like myself who quite literally can't help themselves.

This ROM is feels like old Scott's cleanROM but I doubt mine is as good as his though so you need to bear with me for a while ;)

Edit: I realized the ROM doesn't ship with a browser (my fault lol) so do you guys prefer having HTC Browser or Google Chrome in it?

mc_365

Sep 17, 2009
Jersey City
To the OP, as a cleanRom user and a donator to Scott on many occasions I'd just like to say "Don't call your **** CleanRom!"
I say this vigorously and especially if you're not a top notched, experienced Rom Cook, or Dev. Don't ruin someone else's brand by distributing something that is not endorsed by the brand originator, lacking in the quality of the original, or lacking in the commitment to community that Scott has demonstrated for years.

Suggested Names that Honor Scott

SqueakyCleanRom
SparseRom
A La CleanRom
InspiredRom

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
To the OP, as a cleanRom user and a donator to Scott on many occasions I'd just like to say "Don't call your **** CleanRom!"
I say this vigorously and especially if you're not a top notched, experienced Rom Cook, or Dev. Don't ruin someone else's brand by distributing something that is not endorsed by the brand originator, lacking in the quality of the original, or lacking in the commitment to community that Scott has demonstrated for years.

SqueakyCleanRom
SparseRom
A La CleanRom
InspiredRom

Klean

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
No idea what the Error7 code in Recovery can be, maybe a bad download

Error 7 tends to be the assets to a device. Google search will show you what I meant. I tagged you with the intention of asking if his device is compatible with the ROM. Mine is on Lollipop firmware and booted the ROM fine with clumsy kernel.

I'll break down and do the full RUU w/ the wipe first.. Thanks

SqueakyCleanRom
SparseRom
A La CleanRom
InspiredRom

I'm sorry about running his reputation if it offended you by any means. I've named it unofficial and stated very clearly that no way is this ROM his work and that any users should bug him about issues that crop up in this builds.

If it bothers you so much, I will get the name of the ROM changed once I get home from work :)

1droidmod

Feb 12, 2013
Sioux Falls
Lollipop is the best firmware to be on. It allows you to boot KK, L and MM based Sense ROM :p

Well, lollipop and MM allow for KK roms including custom kernels. I still use a kk rom (bone stock v-3) with custom kernel (flar port). Still can't get these marshmallow ROMs to boot although I have not done a full RUU yet

Reactions: andybones

Bobbi lim

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
Well, lollipop and MM allow for KK roms including custom kernels. I still use a kk rom (bone stock v-3) with custom kernel (flar port). Still can't get these marshmallow ROMs to boot although I have not done a full RUU yet

What recovery are you using? I'm still on 2.8.5.0 :p
I got it to boot as I'm using a GSM M8 so I need a kernel with unified dtb.img. Which version of the M8 are you using?

Do you have a link to the flar port kernel you mention?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This isn't official yet but given that CleanROM by @Scott is currently not being developed so I'm considering providing unofficial build of CleanROM for the Verizon and GSM M8 community alike. I'm a noob at this so if there's any issues, I will appreciate it if you guys can bring it up to me. Please indicate your interest on whether you will like me to provide you with these builds.

Disclaimer:
    If he does mention that I'm not allowed to do so, I will respect his decision and remove the build :)

Features:
    -Based on Android 6.0 Sense 7
    -Whatever you get in CleanROM

Instructions:
    -Do a nandroid backup of your previous ROM
    -Full wipe and flash Unofficial CleanROM 1.0.0
    -Report back whether it works fine for you or not
    For GSM users:
    -Flash Clumsy Kernel after flashing ROM

Downloads:
    Unofficial CleanROM 1.1.0

Credits:
    -santod040 (For the base of the ROM. Thread here.)
    -Scott (For his CleanROM and mods)
    -Clumsy (For his Clumsy Kernel)
    Lollipop is the best firmware to be on. It allows you to boot KK, L and MM based Sense ROM :p

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone