Updates Thread

Search This thread

..Cory..

Apr 26, 2012
Iowa
HTC One X
Google Nexus 4
Can anyone assist me with this? I'm trying to local upgrade to this version that I'm getting a notification for, but it fails every time. I've never run into this, has anyone else?

I have a KB2007. Device is from TMobile, but is fully SIM and bootloader unlocked and rooted with the latest magisk.

Also, the method of rooting that I used was this one. I never had any issues with any until I tried this local upgrade.

I came from the 6T so I'm not sure how different things are on the 8T if so. I used to be able to local upgrade and then use magisk to install on the inactive slot before reboot with no problem.

Screenshot_20211230-094821.jpg

mercenaryhmster

Account currently disabled
May 8, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
LG V20
OnePlus 6
Can anyone assist me with this? I'm trying to local upgrade to this version that I'm getting a notification for, but it fails every time. I've never run into this, has anyone else?

I have a KB2007. Device is from TMobile, but is fully SIM and bootloader unlocked and rooted with the latest magisk.

Also, the method of rooting that I used was this one. I never had any issues with any until I tried this local upgrade.

I came from the 6T so I'm not sure how different things are on the 8T if so. I used to be able to local upgrade and then use magisk to install on the inactive slot before reboot with no problem.

View attachment 5495743
Are you using the full update file, which should be about 2.5 gb in size, or the incremental file, which is somewhere around 200 mb? If it's the incremental, it's not going to install it without you unroofing your phone first

Reactions: ..Cory..

mercenaryhmster

May 8, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
LG V20
OnePlus 6
Are you using the full update file, which should be about 2.5 gb in size, or the incremental file, which is somewhere around 200 mb? If it's the incremental, it's not going to install it without you unroofing your phone first
Also, to add more info, if you are using the global release, or the AA version, there is no full update yet, as we have to wait for googles update servers

..Cory..

Apr 26, 2012
Iowa
HTC One X
Google Nexus 4
Also, to add more info, if you are using the global release, or the AA version, there is no full update yet, as we have to wait for googles update servers
Gotcha, thank you sir. I was trying to update via incremental. I haven't switched to the global version, I'm still on the TMobile shipped version.

Would there be any disadvantage to me flashing to the global version being that I'm still using TMobile service?

mercenaryhmster

May 8, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
LG V20
OnePlus 6
Gotcha, thank you sir. I was trying to update via incremental. I haven't switched to the global version, I'm still on the TMobile shipped version.

Would there be any disadvantage to me flashing to the global version being that I'm still using TMobile service?
Nope, I'm currently running the global version on a converted TMobile version, and besides the about phone screen bug, everything works fine

rage302

May 29, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Watch
@rage302, there's no need for the A/B retention script?
I don't use TWRP recovery yet (but i maybe will in future). So in my case there is no need for the TWRP retention script.
But if you use TWRP, you should use TWRP retention script after installing Full OTA and before magisk install to inactive slot (OTA method)... then reboot.

Reactions: The Apostle

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
@rage302, there's no need for the A/B retention script?

I don't use TWRP recovery yet (but i maybe will in future). So in my case there is no need for the TWRP retention script.
But if you use TWRP, you should use TWRP retention script after installing Full OTA and before magisk install to inactive slot (OTA method)... then reboot.

FYI, TWRP is available from the TWRP download site as both an image and an installer script. It installs TWRP to both slots.
You can flash the installer script in Magisk just like you do the A/B retention script.

The big difference is that TWRP installers script can also be used for incremental OTAs (which require recovery and boot to be returned to stock before installing the update). You cannot use the A/B retention script for that situation as there's no TWRP installed for it to copy to the inactive slot.

So my recommendation is to always use the TWRP installer script as it works in all cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: rage302

The Apostle

Jan 27, 2012
Saint Louis
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
FYI, TWRP is available from the TWRP download site as both an image and an installer script. It installs TWRP to both slots.
You can flash the installer script in Magisk just like you do the A/B retention script.

The big difference is that TWRP installers script can also be used for incremental OTAs (which require recovery and boot to be returned to stock before installing the update). You cannot use the A/B retention script for that situation as there's no TWRP installed for it to copy to the inactive slot.

So my recommendation is to always use the TWRP installer script as it works in all cases.
I've always used TWRP, and have done so, and am familiar with A/B devices. The only reason I asked questions (other thread) is that I cannot find any clear steps to update via TWRP.

For example, on my OnePlus 6, I have used the steps below for every single update with zero issues. And yes, of course I realize this is a different device, which is why I asked for further clarification.
  1. Download full ROM zip from OnePlus or other available location. I.E. 11.0.12.12
  2. Create Nandroid backup.
  3. Install full ROM zip.
  4. Install TWRP.
  5. Reboot to recovery.
  6. Install Magisk.
  7. Reboot to system.
If that doesn't work, I'll keep reading. I'm not asking to be spoon fed. I'm not the type to come here, not read, ask questions, and not provide as much detail as I'm able.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I've always used TWRP, and have done so, and am familiar with A/B devices. The only reason I asked questions (other thread) is that I cannot find any clear steps to update via TWRP.

For example, on my OnePlus 6, I have used the steps below for every single update with zero issues. And yes, of course I realize this is a different device, which is why I asked for further clarification.
  1. Download full ROM zip from OnePlus or other available location. I.E. 11.0.12.12
  2. Create Nandroid backup.
  3. Install full ROM zip.
  4. Install TWRP.
  5. Reboot to recovery.
  6. Install Magisk.
  7. Reboot to system.
If that doesn't work, I'll keep reading. I'm not asking to be spoon fed. I'm not the type to come here, not read, ask questions, and not provide as much detail as I'm able.
I can confirm that your listed process works.

And, with the latest version of TWRP (3.6.0_11-3) you can even use an incremental update zip. But I haven't written the procedure yet.

hotrodwinston

Yes, you can use TWRP to flash the full OOS install zip. Make sure you follow the instructions in the TWRP OP's posts.
So just to make sure I'm doing it right - use oxygen updater app to download latest full version then flash twrp via fastboot and follow the instructions in the twrp thread to flash the downloaded file? If I don't want root/twrp I can just not do the magisk flash?

I am really rusty on flashing as I didn't have root-capable phones for several years and lots of things changed in that time.

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So just to make sure I'm doing it right - use oxygen updater app to download latest full version then flash twrp via fastboot and follow the instructions in the twrp thread to flash the downloaded file? If I don't want root/twrp I can just not do the magisk flash?

I am really rusty on flashing as I didn't have root-capable phones for several years and lots of things changed in that time.
I need to think about this a bit more so that you don't end up with a problem on the next OOS update. I'll get back to you when I've thought it through carefully.

hotrodwinston

I need to think about this a bit more so that you don't end up with a problem on the next OOS update. I'll get back to you when I've thought it through carefully.
thanks for working with me on this - but now I have a bigger issue - I decided to try a couple new custom roms and decided to flash twrp and when I tried to reboot to recovery it went to qualcomm crashdump mode
says "system is deadlocked on memory" "out..of..memory" and is unresponsive

edit: I'm out of crashdump mode and reflashed twrp - a version that I had flashed before that worked - and same thing. going to try a different recovery.

edit2: los recovery booted. sideloading a rom that has worked before.

edit 3: back up on a custom rom waiting for further info on how to get back to stock.

Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 8 Pro
@hotrodwinston There are three things that need to happen for the OOS install to leave you in a good place:
  1. You need to reboot the phone after the install to finalize the processing of the installation.
  2. You need to format data because you're switching roms and that means the encryption keys are different, so the new rom won't be able to read /data until after a format
  3. You want to end up with the stock recovery installed because you
    • Need the stock recovery installed for the next OOS update in case it is an incremental update and
    • You don't want to use TWRP

Because of this some of the things you can't do are:
  • Simply reboot after the install because OOS won't be able to read /data
  • Format data after the install in TWRP and before you reboot because this prevents the installation from finalizing
  • Reboot back to twrp because then you would need to install TWRP on both slots and, therefore, lose the stock recovery

So here's my suggestion (there are other ways of achieving the same result):
  1. Install the TWRP .img file (make sure you use the latest version from https://dl.twrp.me/kebab/) and then boot recovery
  2. Install the full OOS zip you want
  3. Reboot either recovery (which should be the stock recovery) or bootloader (do NOT reboot system)
  4. Format data
  5. reboot system

hotrodwinston

@hotrodwinston There are three things that need to happen for the OOS install to leave you in a good place:
  1. You need to reboot the phone after the install to finalize the processing of the installation.
  2. You need to format data because you're switching roms and that means the encryption keys are different, so the new rom won't be able to read /data until after a format
  3. You want to end up with the stock recovery installed because you
    • Need the stock recovery installed for the next OOS update in case it is an incremental update and
    • You don't want to use TWRP

Because of this some of the things you can't do are:
  • Simply reboot after the install because OOS won't be able to read /data
  • Format data after the install in TWRP and before you reboot because this prevents the installation from finalizing
  • Reboot back to twrp because then you would need to install TWRP on both slots and, therefore, lose the stock recovery

So here's my suggestion (there are other ways of achieving the same result):
  1. Install the TWRP .img file (make sure you use the latest version from https://dl.twrp.me/kebab/) and then boot recovery
  2. Install the full OOS zip you want
  3. Reboot either recovery (which should be the stock recovery) or bootloader (do NOT reboot system)
  4. Format data
  5. reboot system
ok so i redownloaded the latest twrp.
what OOS file do I need ? from here? https://xdaforums.com/t/oneplus-8t-rom-ota-oxygen-os-repo-of-oxygen-os-builds.4193183/
flash twrp in fastboot mode
boot twrp
install OOS zip
reboot recovery (should now be stock)
wipe/format data
reboot
Profit?
I'm getting off custom if at all possible this evening.
thank you for all your help.

Top Liked Posts