Updating From Stock Rooted MDB to Stock Rooted MDL

Search This thread

Rlin5741

Aug 27, 2011
Is there any way to update from a stock rooted MDB to stock rooted MDL. I originally rooted and then set up under MDB, knowing that the MDL process would be a little tougher, but not realizing that stock rooted would not take OTAs (on my VZ SGS3, stock rooted would often OTA just fine, and there was also a dev that released stock rooted "no wipe" flashable zips of all OTAs anyway). Since my phone is all set up, I would rather dirty flash MDB to MDL without Odin-ing a full image - is this possible/available? Thanks

re: MDB to MDL

Is there any way to update from a stock rooted MDB to stock rooted MDL. I originally rooted and then set up under MDB, knowing that the MDL process would be a little tougher, but not realizing that stock rooted would not take OTAs (on my VZ SGS3, stock rooted would often OTA just fine, and there was also a dev that released stock rooted "no wipe" flashable zips of all OTAs anyway). Since my phone is all set up, I would rather dirty flash MDB to MDL without Odin-ing a full image - is this possible/available? Thanks

Yes you can as long as you either have TWRP or CWM recovery installed first.

If you do don't do a dirty flash, be sure to do a full wipe including "Factory Reset", "Wipe System", "Wipe Cache" and "Wipe Dalvik Cache".

A lot of people have already done exactly that without any issues or problems.
Just make sure that your phone is ROOTED.

If you do a dirty flash you are just asking for problems. Just be sure to make a Nandroid backup before you do anything, just in case.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A and Help sections
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Rlin5741

Aug 27, 2011
I couldn't find any posts of just the stock ROM updates that are flashable in recovery - maybe I am missing it? I saw one that flashes only system and framework which I think will work but needs a post mdb base

mike105217

May 3, 2013
I couldn't find any posts of just the stock ROM updates that are flashable in recovery - maybe I am missing it? I saw one that flashes only system and framework which I think will work but needs a post mdb base

There is a few methods to do this depending on what you want to do the best way i have found is to

1. Do a backup in twrp, and titanium backup
2. Put Samsung Keis on your comp and then flash to stock.
3. Follow the guide to root MDL http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2268880

Or

1. Do a full backup
2. Do a full wipe
3. Flash newest kernal
4. Wipe Daviant Cach, Cach again

Last edited: