Updating from an update file
I have been seeing a lot of posts about people not receiving the OTA on their phone, and got tired of linking my instructions, so I decided to make a separate post
- Download the version that you need from the Asus Zenfone 8 Support page (Note that if you are not on the latest Android 11 firmware (18.104.22.168), you will not be able to Android 12. So you need to do these steps with the latest Android 11, and then re-do them for the Android 12 firmware)
- Plug in your phone to your computer, make sure the computer is trusted and that you can transfer files from the PC to the phone.
- Move the zip file of the update in the base directory of the phone (The same directory as Alarms, Downloads, etc).
- Wait for the transfer to finish, then you can unplug your phone if you want.
- Reboot the phone
- After the reboot, the phone will take a few seconds/minutes and will notify you that an update file was found, select the option to update the phone
- It will then extract the update and install it all by itself, the normal update procedure starts from there