• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

updating to newest ota with Magisk

Search This thread

qman66

Jul 23, 2010
Brooklyn
I've read about updating to the latest OTA and keeping root from several places including from topjohnwu himself but still a little unclear about this and don't want to mess it up. So in the manager I click uninstall and then press restore images. Then apply the system update? I'm not understanding if I have to download the new boot.img to re-root? That's where I am confused.

Pixeling

Nov 2, 2019
1. Uninstall and restore images
2. Install OTA (Do not reboot)
3. Install Magisk --> Install to inactive slot. This works because magisk is still running as root and can patch the flashed boot.img.
4. Reboot

Reactions: smithilberry

rellomar

Dec 2, 2011
Pittsburgh
3. Install Magisk --> Install to inactive slot. This works because magisk is still running as root and can patch the flashed boot.img.
4. Reboot

One question. I have viper4android installed and I'm wondering when I uninstall and restore images, then update, will I lose viper and have to reinstall and redo all of my settings when I reinstall magisk?

Last edited:

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
One question. I have viper4android installed and I'm wondering when I uninstall and restore images, then update, will I lose viper and have to reinstall and redo all of my settings when I reinstall magisk?

I don't know what will happen via the OTA method, however, I can speak from experience that if you do your updates via fastboot and factory images, you will retain your V4A settings. I simply disable all of my modules, reboot, patch the updated boot.img, remove my face ID, fastboot the factory image with the -w removed, let it boot up, then fastboot the patched boot.img, boot up, enable my modules, reboot, and everything is as it was :good:

sharpz811

Mar 6, 2012
brampton
I don't know what will happen via the OTA method, however, I can speak from experience that if you do your updates via fastboot and factory images, you will retain your V4A settings. I simply disable all of my modules, reboot, patch the updated boot.img, remove my face ID, fastboot the factory image with the -w removed, let it boot up, then fastboot the patched boot.img, boot up, enable my modules, reboot, and everything is as it was :good:
delete

Last edited:

rellomar

Dec 2, 2011
Pittsburgh

Could you possibly give me little more detailed instructions? I'm just coming back to Android after using an iPhone for a few years so I'm a little out of the loop with flashing. Mainly, I'm confused when you said fastboot flash the the factory image with the -w removed.

Badger50

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 27, 2011
Kansas City
Could you possibly give me little more detailed instructions? I'm just coming back to Android after using an iPhone for a few years so I'm a little out of the loop with flashing. Mainly, I'm confused when you said fastboot flash the the factory image with the -w removed.

After you download and extract the factory image, you will see a file named, flash-all.bat. Within that file, toward the end of the script, you'll see the -w flag which tells the script to wipe your device. By removing that flag, your are essentially updating your OS without loosing any internal data kinda like an OTA does :good::cool:

Reactions: rellomar

rellomar

Dec 2, 2011
Pittsburgh
After you download and extract the factory image, you will see a file named, flash-all.bat. Within that file, toward the end of the script, you'll see the -w flag which tells the script to wipe your device. By removing that flag, your are essentially updating your OS without loosing any internal data kinda like an OTA does :good::cool:

That worked. Thanks for the advice....makes updating very easy :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4. Reboot