Updating Verizon Pixel unlocked bootloader with depixel8

Search This thread

zaksimmermon

Feb 11, 2016
I want to update everything except leave the bootloader on 7.1. Will this work?
No it won't work. You have to have a certain version Bootloader for the rest of the factory image to flash. If you don't flash the bootloader then the rest of the image will not install. You can see in the command prompt it will say 'verifying bootloader XXX is installed.' Or something of that nature. If it isn't then it will say which bootloader you are on and the rest will fail. Now I don't think this happens with every update but the ones with significant patches, like the November security update that blocked the exploit, did for sure

Reactions: LoliSmith

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As long as they are released as flashable files, I can flash them. But if not then yeah, I am missing out on those.

Yes, that is what I want to do. The only thing I am not sure on is if I flash everything else, will the phone work with an older bootloader version. It always worked with my motorola and nexus phones but of course, that doesn't mean it will work with a Pixel.

With motorola I did have to keep the partition table consistent with the bootloader version and that could create a problem if the system partition of later versions was larger.

I plan on staying on Nougat with this phone so it shouldn't be a problem.
    I don't really know what to tell you about it. The bootloader may work fine but who's to say the vulnerability that depixel8 exploits is in the bootloader? It could be software related, it could be hardware related. I really have no idea. Also, I did a bit of searching about this and from what I read, it sounds as if it might not be possible to unlock it again if you've already taken the security patch that patched the exploit. I could be wrong but it sounds as if that may be the case. Look, at the last paragraph of this article . From what that says, it sounds as though it isn't possible to unlock even on an older version of Nougat once you've taken that security patch. If that's the case, it would seem the the exploit must have targeted something at a very low level. Something other than the OS or the bootloader.

Also, even if you can do what you want to do, I don't know if you can install the updates without installing the one that patches the exploit. I really have no idea. I've seen it said that they are cumulative and in order to install the newest updates, you have to install all the previous ones first. I really have no idea if that is correct or not but if it were me, I'd tread lightly on this one unless you're willing to risk the possibility of not being able to unlock it again. These are just some of my thoughts about it all. I don't have the answers to my thoughts but if it were me, I wouldn't lock it again without knowing for sure it can be unlocked again.
    I want to update everything except leave the bootloader on 7.1. Will this work?
    No it won't work. You have to have a certain version Bootloader for the rest of the factory image to flash. If you don't flash the bootloader then the rest of the image will not install. You can see in the command prompt it will say 'verifying bootloader XXX is installed.' Or something of that nature. If it isn't then it will say which bootloader you are on and the rest will fail. Now I don't think this happens with every update but the ones with significant patches, like the November security update that blocked the exploit, did for sure