• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Updating your rooted Pixel 4a 5G on Windows

Search This thread

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I'll try to make a step by step to update your Bramble (Pixel 4a 5G) with the latest updates assuming you're rooted (otherwise it would update normally). These steps worked for me. I know there are other ways. If you want to link to another way, please do.

Make sure you have the latest USB drivers: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
and the latest platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and to reboot before updating.
  2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
  3. Unzip this in your adb folder (I'm assuming you have this already set up as you're rooted already)
  4. Edit the 'flash-all.bat' in Notepad and look for the "-w" in the last line. Remove the "-w" as this will wipe your phone
  5. With your device plugged into the computer, open a command prompt in the adb folder. (pen the folder, hold down Shift and right click inside the folder, "Open Command window here")
  6. Run this command to go into bootloader on your phone:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  7. Now run the flash-all.bat from the command line
    Code:
    flash-all.bat
  8. This can take a while, and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
  9. In the extracted folder there is another zip file. Extract this too.
  10. Now inside the extracted folder, look for boot.img
  11. Your phone should be finished upgrading by now and booted normally
  12. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (remember where you put it)
  13. Open Magisk Manager (you should be on the Update Channel: Canary in the Settings)
  14. Click on "install" (the top one)
  15. Select "Select and Patch a file" and browse to your boot.img
  16. Click "Let's go"
  17. Magisk manager will now patch your boot.img to a rooted version and will tell you where it saved the file, and it's name
  18. Now move this file to your adb folder and open the folder in the command line again
  19. Go into bootloader again by running this code
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  20. When in bootloader mode run this code
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img [replace the filename with the one you have]
  21. Reboot your updated and rooted device!
  22. Now can can turn back on your Magisk modules.

Last edited:

mx597turbo

Jun 24, 2009
You can also update using the ota.
Download both the full factory image (fi) and ota
Extract boot.img from the fi, and patch on your phone using magisk - place in the same folder as the ota (on your pc)
Disable all modules in magisk. I also disable adaway (may not be necessary)
Reboot
Boot into recovery. Once the android is on the screen, hold power then press vol +
Select apply update from adb, then on the pc in a command window or powershell run
Code:
adb sideload xxx.zip (where xxx is the name of the ota image)
Once done, reboot into bootloader
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Flash the patched boot
Code:
fastboot flash boot xxx.img (where xxx is the name of your patched boot img)
Reboot into system, give the phone a few mins. Enable all magisk modules, reboot, enable adaway, reboot. Done.

Last edited:

nfqa

Dec 11, 2006
Jerash
I'll try to make a step by step to update your Bramble (Pixel 4a 5G) with the latest updates assuming you're rooted (otherwise it would update normally). These steps worked for me. I know there are other ways. If you want to link to another way, please do.

1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and te reboot before updating.
  2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/ota#bramble
  3. Unzip this in your adb folder (I'm assuming you have this already set up as you're rooted already)
  4. Edit the 'flash-all.bat' in Notepad and look for the "-w" in the last line. Remove the "-w" as this will wipe your phone
  5. With your device plugged into the computer, open a command prompt in the adb folder. (pen the folder, hold down Shift and right click inside the folder, "Open Command window here")
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    flash-all.bat
  8. This can take a while and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
  9. Meanwhile you can download the latest factory image: https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
  10. Extract the zip file and open the extracted folder. In there is another zip file. Extract this too.
  11. Now inside the extracted folder look for boot.img
  12. Your phone should be finished upgrading by now and booted normally
  13. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (remember where you put it)
  14. Open Magisk Manager (you should be on the Update Channel: Canary in the Settings)
  15. Click on "install" (the top one)
  16. Select "Select and Patch a file" and browse to your boot.img
  17. Click "Let's go"
  18. Magisk manager will now patch your boot.img to a rooted version and will tell you where it saved the file and it's name
  19. Now move this file to your adb folder and open the folder in the command line again
  20. Go into bootloader again by running this code
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  21. When in bootloader mode run this code
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img [replace the filename with the one you have]
  22. Reboot your updated and rooted device!

Perfect, Thank you, would you please to do another guide of how to enable 5G and Volte

Extract boot.img from the fi, and patch on your phone using magisk - place in the same folder as the ota (on your pc)
Reboot
Boot into recovery. Once the android is on the screen, hold power then press vol +
Select apply update from adb, then on the pc in a command window or powershell run
Code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Flash the patched boot
Code:
Reboot into system, give the phone a few mins. Enable all magisk modules, reboot, enable adaway, reboot. Done.
This works perfectly! Thank you for sharing this method! Worked flawlessly on my bramble to get it to the February security update! Very amazing! :)

kazemitsui

Dec 15, 2010
Seattle
HTC One (m7)
Google Pixel

1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and te reboot before updating.
  2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/ota#bramble
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Code:
    flash-all.bat
  8. This can take a while and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
  9. Meanwhile you can download the latest factory image: https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
  10. Extract the zip file and open the extracted folder. In there is another zip file. Extract this too.
  11. Now inside the extracted folder look for boot.img
  12. Your phone should be finished upgrading by now and booted normally
  13. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (remember where you put it)
  14. Open Magisk Manager (you should be on the Update Channel: Canary in the Settings)
  15. Click on "install" (the top one)
  16. Select "Select and Patch a file" and browse to your boot.img
  17. Click "Let's go"
  18. Magisk manager will now patch your boot.img to a rooted version and will tell you where it saved the file and it's name
  19. Now move this file to your adb folder and open the folder in the command line again
  20. Go into bootloader again by running this code
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  21. When in bootloader mode run this code
    Code:
  22. Reboot your updated and rooted device!

checking product...
OKAY [ 0.069s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.069s]
checking version-baseband...
OKAY [ 0.070s]
sending 'boot' (98304 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.409s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)
finished. total time: 0.929s
Press any key to exit...

hi I am trying to update to the Feb update and I get to "writing boot" but it always fails. What am I doing wrong? I am on stock with Magisk and Elemental X Kernal, that is pretty much it.

Thanks.

I figured it out... I need to update my adb folder on my comp, thankssssss worked well.

Last edited:

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.069s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.069s]
checking version-baseband...
OKAY [ 0.070s]
sending 'boot' (98304 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.409s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)
finished. total time: 0.929s
Press any key to exit...

hi I am trying to update to the Feb update and I get to "writing boot" but it always fails. What am I doing wrong? I am on stock with Magisk and Elemental X Kernal, that is pretty much it.

Thanks.
Did you pick the right version?
1612950344949.png

drdionysius

Oct 28, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I'm having a problem myself with patching the boot.img through Magisk Manager. It says "installation failed".

-update-
Solved. I had to update Magisk Manager Canary.

Last edited:
Reboot
Code:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
Flash the patched boot
Code:
Hi ! Great Thank you is the best option without Twrp for update my Pixel 4a 5g.
Very simple, just a mistake with unautorized adb on my mac os but after Google it can resolve it and update quickly no do uninstall magisk but just uncheck mod same as Twrp.
Very Thank you have a good day
EDIT : NO !!! After re-check my mods the Pixel wont start ??? Or Re Start Or factory Reset ??? No no no it(s the second update do factory reset !!!! without Twrp is not good

Last edited:
Hi ! Great Thank you is the best option without Twrp for update my Pixel 4a 5g.
Very simple, just a mistake with unautorized adb on my mac os but after Google it can resolve it and update quickly no do uninstall magisk but just uncheck mod same as Twrp.
Very Thank you have a good day
EDIT : NO !!! After re-check my mods the Pixel wont start ??? Or Re Start Or factory Reset ??? No no no it(s the second update do factory reset !!!! without Twrp is not good
I had the same problem, make sure to boot into safe mode, as this will automatically turn off all magisk modules. The clock mod caused this for me, so make sure to uninstall that.
Here is a video I found:
if the volume key to go into safe mode does not work, (it did not for me), as soon as you reach the os, before it shuts down, long press the power button and long press restart. Then click on ok to boot into safe mode. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ggkameleon
I had the same problem, make sure to boot into safe mode, as this will automatically turn off all magisk modules. The clock mod caused this for me, so make sure to uninstall that.
Here is a video I found:
if the volume key to go into safe mode does not work, (it didd not for me), as soon as you reach the os, before it shuts down, long press the power button and long press restart. Then click on ok to boot into safe mode. Hope this helps! :)
Hi ! Thanks. I have the center clock too.
I do flash the stock boot img for restart it and test for remove mods but I can't.
I have flash again the Magisk boot img but again bootloop.
I have flash again the stock boot img and see your thread. Thanks

Reactions: 3dcantaloupe
Hi ! Thanks. I have the center clock too.
I do flash the stock boot img for restart it and test for remove mods but I can't.
I have flash again the Magisk boot img but again bootloop.
I have flash again the stock boot img and see your thread. Thanks
yes, when you go into safe mode, it disables your magisk modules so that you can boot with the magisk patched boot image! Make sure to boot into safe mode when you have the magisk boot image installed and not the stock image. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :)

Reactions: ggkameleon
yes, when you go into safe mode, it disables your magisk modules so that you can boot with the magisk patched boot image! Make sure to boot into safe mode when you have the magisk boot image installed and not the stock image. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :)
Ok 👍 thanks but now I'm on stock boot img.
If I understand I flash again on fastboot the magisk boot img and restart on safe mod for uninstall magisk mods.
But how restart on safe mod.
Thanks

artlan

Aug 7, 2007
I'm curious, are you running the current March update?

DJBhardwaj

Recognized Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Delhi
Ok 👍 thanks but now I'm on stock boot img.
If I understand I flash again on fastboot the magisk boot img and restart on safe mod for uninstall magisk mods.
But how restart on safe mod.
Thanks
  • Power off the phone
  • Turn it on
  • Once you see the Google boot logo, press and hold the Volume Down key

Keep holding the Volume Down key until the phone enters Safe Mode. You will see a watermark on the bottom-left that says "Safe Mode".

• Power off the phone
  • Turn it on
  • Once you see the Google boot logo, press and hold the Volume Down key

Keep holding the Volume Down key until the phone enters Safe Mode. You will see a watermark on the bottom-left that says "Safe Mode".
Ok thanks 👍 thank you.
I test it. Have a good day

Reactions: DJBhardwaj
Yesssss ! I don't know how can pass safedod but many times restart on "Restart or Factory Reset"
I have flash many times stock boot img and magisk boot img anf inaly restart on safe mod and restart with magisk install and work !!!!
it's more difficult as Twrp installed. I don't know why Google don't want Twrp

Yesssss ! I don't know how can pass safedod but many times restart on "Restart or Factory Reset"
I have flash many times stock boot img and magisk boot img anf inaly restart on safe mod and restart with magisk install and work !!!!
it's more difficult as Twrp installed. I don't know why Google don't want Twrp
Not that they don't want twrp, but no one is taking the initiative to fork it over to our device yet. It will eventually make it I bet! Using the hardware buttons as DJBharadwaj stated did not work, and I had to instead I had to wait for the phone to boot, then I longpressed restart to boot into safe mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Make sure you have the latest USB drivers: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
    and the latest platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and to reboot before updating.
    2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      Code:
      flash-all.bat
    8. This can take a while, and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
    9. In the extracted folder there is another zip file. Extract this too.
    10. Now inside the extracted folder, look for boot.img
    11. Your phone should be finished upgrading by now and booted normally
    12. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (remember where you put it)
    13. Open Magisk Manager (you should be on the Update Channel: Canary in the Settings)
    14. Click on "install" (the top one)
    15. Select "Select and Patch a file" and browse to your boot.img
    16. Click "Let's go"
    17. Magisk manager will now patch your boot.img to a rooted version and will tell you where it saved the file, and it's name
    18. Now move this file to your adb folder and open the folder in the command line again
    19. Go into bootloader again by running this code
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    20. When in bootloader mode run this code
      Code:
    21. Reboot your updated and rooted device!
    22. Now can can turn back on your Magisk modules.
    Reboot
    Code:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Flash the patched boot
    Code:
    Hi ! They hadn't firmware update for June ? On Android 11 ? Only dev firmware on Android 12 ?
    Thanks
    The June update was released today, its factory and OTA images are now available to download.
    Hi ! They hadn't firmware update for June ? On Android 11 ? Only dev firmware on Android 12 ?
    Thanks
    Usually first Monday of the month which would be June 7.
    Hi ! And it's possible to flash the magisk mod Center Clock ? Or make bootloop ?
    Here is a quick video I made today which shows the whole process:
    And please don't flash the clock mod again as that will lead to a bootloop again. Hope this helps! :)