• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Updating your rooted Pixel 4a 5G on Windows

Search This thread

albert.bencic

Mar 11, 2021
Hi
I executed following steps
  1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and te reboot before updating.
  2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
  3. Unzip this in your adb folder (I'm assuming you have this already set up as you're rooted already)
  4. Edit the 'flash-all.bat' in Notepad and look for the "-w" in the last line. Remove the "-w" as this will wipe your phone
  5. With your device plugged into the computer, open a command prompt in the adb folder. (pen the folder, hold down Shift and right click inside the folder, "Open Command window here")
  6. Run this command to go into bootloader on your phone:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  7. Now run the flash-all.bat from the command line
    Code:
    flash-all.bat
  8. This can take a while and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
And now i am stuck at Fastboot mode menu.
When i try to press start it come back again to Fastboot mode.
Plese help

UPDATE:
I was too fast and re-started phnone from fastboot mode without waiting that the flashing process finished.
I repeated step 7 "Now run the flash-all.bat from the command line" again and successfully updated my phone to March edition.

TNX A LOT.

Last edited:

nikkiscores

Jul 30, 2016
Went through all the steps and unexpectedly choked on the last one. I cannot seem to flash the patched boot image because adb refuses to recognize the phone in fastboot. When I issue the flash command, it goes into "waiting for device". When entering "adb devices", i get [device ID] unauthorized.

If i reboot into (the now unrooted) system, "adb devices" results in "[device ID]
no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?)"

I then revoke debugging permissions on the phone, replug, reauthorize, and it is recognized again. Until i reboot into fastboot or bootloader.

Any ideas?

(upgrading for the Jan rooted version to the June version)

Went through all the steps and unexpectedly choked on the last one. I cannot seem to flash the patched boot image because adb refuses to recognize the phone in fastboot. When I issue the flash command, it goes into "waiting for device". When entering "adb devices", i get [device ID] unauthorized.

If i reboot into (the now unrooted) system, "adb devices" results in "[device ID]
no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?)"

I then revoke debugging permissions on the phone, replug, reauthorize, and it is recognized again. Until i reboot into fastboot or bootloader.

Any ideas?

(upgrading for the Jan rooted version to the June version)
try "fastboot flash boot (the .img file)" when in the bootloader!

nikkiscores

Jul 30, 2016
I think that is some kind of connection issue. Do you have the google and adb drivers installed? I would just try a different port, computer, or cable to see if that may fix it. Has fastboot in the bootloader ever worked for you or is adb the only thing that is working?

everything worked fine in January when I updated last. I had not used it since.

I just checked, and adb recognizes the device in rescue mode - anything I could do from there?

everything worked fine in January when I updated last. I had not used it since.

I just checked, and adb recognizes the device in rescue mode - anything I could do from there?
uhhhhh

As you can see, only adb gets recognized in rescue mode, not fastboot. In the bootloader, only fastboot devices works, so not adb. Does "fastboot devices" lead to nothing? if so, try getting the platform tools again, from here https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-13 182345.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-13 182345.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11

nikkiscores

Jul 30, 2016
uhhhhh

As you can see, only adb gets recognized in rescue mode, not fastboot. In the bootloader, only fastboot devices works, so not adb. Does "fastboot devices" lead to nothing? if so, try getting the platform tools again, from here https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
fastboot devices results in:

no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?); see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] fastboot

when I reboot into system, "adb devices" gives the same error, but with the device ID. I then go into debugging, revoke permissions, reauthorize the computer (clicking the 'remember' checkmark), and it is recognized again... until the reboot.

So it seems that the phone "forgets" its debugging authorizations?

I am on Slackware, I reinstalled protobuf3 and android-tools, tried a different port and a different cable - no change. But it feels like the problem is the phone, not the computer. Unfortunately I don't have another computer or another phone to test.

fastboot devices results in:

no permissions (user in plugdev group; are your udev rules wrong?); see [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] fastboot

when I reboot into system, "adb devices" gives the same error, but with the device ID. I then go into debugging, revoke permissions, reauthorize the computer (clicking the 'remember' checkmark), and it is recognized again... until the reboot.

So it seems that the phone "forgets" its debugging authorizations?

I am on Slackware, I reinstalled protobuf3 and android-tools, tried a different port and a different cable - no change. But it feels like the problem is the phone, not the computer. Unfortunately I don't have another computer or another phone to test.
Ahhh you are on linux! yes, I think you may be correct in thinking that. Try
sudo adb kill-server
and then
sudo adb start-server
If that does not work, try the solution described here?
I am not that experienced with adb and linux permissions, so this may help! 😀

nikkiscores

Jul 30, 2016
Ahhh you are on linux! yes, I think you may be correct in thinking that. Try
sudo adb kill-server
and then
sudo adb start-server
If that does not work, try the solution described here?
I am not that experienced with adb and linux permissions, so this may help! 😀
Thanks for that. I tried the above, and various other suggestions i found via google, nothing seemed to work, so i got frustrated and put it aside for a couple of days. Then today I went to try flashing the modded boot image again and it just magically worked! Have no idea what happened between then and now, just glad my device is rooted again. Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: 3dcantaloupe
Thanks for that. I tried the above, and various other suggestions i found via google, nothing seemed to work, so i got frustrated and put it aside for a couple of days. Then today I went to try flashing the modded boot image again and it just magically worked! Have no idea what happened between then and now, just glad my device is rooted again. Thanks again for your help!
Sorry for the really late response, I did not get a notification somehow. I am glad you were able to root your pixel once again! Enjoy!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll try to make a step by step to update your Bramble (Pixel 4a 5G) with the latest updates assuming you're rooted (otherwise it would update normally). These steps worked for me. I know there are other ways. If you want to link to another way, please do.

Make sure you have the latest USB drivers: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb
    and the latest platform tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

1. Some Magisk modules may cause bootloops so it's best to disable them and te reboot before updating.
    2. Download the latest Factory Image (look carefully to use the right one: Verizon or other) https://developers.google.com/android/images#bramble
    3. Unzip this in your adb folder (I'm assuming you have this already set up as you're rooted already)
    4. Edit the 'flash-all.bat' in Notepad and look for the "-w" in the last line. Remove the "-w" as this will wipe your phone
    5. With your device plugged into the computer, open a command prompt in the adb folder. (pen the folder, hold down Shift and right click inside the folder, "Open Command window here")
    6. Run this command to go into bootloader on your phone:
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    7. Now run the flash-all.bat from the command line
      Code:
      flash-all.bat
    8. This can take a while and sometimes it even fails the first time. Don't worry and try again.
    9. In the extracted folder there is another zip file. Extract this too.
    10. Now inside the extracted folder look for boot.img
    11. Your phone should be finished upgrading by now and booted normally
    12. Copy the boot.img file to your phone (remember where you put it)
    13. Open Magisk Manager (you should be on the Update Channel: Canary in the Settings)
    14. Click on "install" (the top one)
    15. Select "Select and Patch a file" and browse to your boot.img
    16. Click "Let's go"
    17. Magisk manager will now patch your boot.img to a rooted version and will tell you where it saved the file and it's name
    18. Now move this file to your adb folder and open the folder in the command line again
    19. Go into bootloader again by running this code
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    20. When in bootloader mode run this code
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_xxxxx.img [replace the filename with the one you have]
    21. Reboot your updated and rooted device!
    You can also update using the ota.
    Download both the full factory image (fi) and ota
    Extract boot.img from the fi, and patch on your phone using magisk - place in the same folder as the ota (on your pc)
    Disable all modules in magisk. I also disable adaway (may not be necessary)
    Reboot
    Boot into recovery. Once the android is on the screen, hold power then press vol +
    Select apply update from adb, then on the pc in a command window or powershell run
    Code:
    adb sideload xxx.zip (where xxx is the name of the ota image)
    Once done, reboot into bootloader
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    Flash the patched boot
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot xxx.img (where xxx is the name of your patched boot img)
    Reboot into system, give the phone a few mins. Enable all magisk modules, reboot, enable adaway, reboot. Done.
    Hi ! They hadn't firmware update for June ? On Android 11 ? Only dev firmware on Android 12 ?
    Thanks
    The June update was released today, its factory and OTA images are now available to download.
    Hi ! They hadn't firmware update for June ? On Android 11 ? Only dev firmware on Android 12 ?
    Thanks
    Usually first Monday of the month which would be June 7.
    Hi ! And it's possible to flash the magisk mod Center Clock ? Or make bootloop ?
    Here is a quick video I made today which shows the whole process:
    And please don't flash the clock mod again as that will lead to a bootloop again. Hope this helps! :)