Upgrade from Pixel XL?

Search This thread

lmacmil

Dec 7, 2013
My wife just got a 3a to replace her Moto G5+. It's pretty nice and much smaller than the original XL. Now that updates are done on the XL, I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. Anyone move from the XL to the 3a and if so, what do you like and dislike about the newer phone?

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
My wife just got a 3a to replace her Moto G5+. It's pretty nice and much smaller than the original XL. Now that updates are done on the XL, I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. Anyone move from the XL to the 3a and if so, what do you like and dislike about the newer phone?

I went from original xl to 3a xl around Thanksgiving. No complaints are all. At first i thought the lack of twrp on Android 10 and very few custom roms would be a huge issue, but the reality is that for me at least it runs so well on just rooted stock i haven't even been tempted to load other roms. Literally like 2 magisk modules and that's it.

Typical use i get about 7 to 8 hours screen on time with roughly 2 days between charges.

Since your on an xl now the physical size of the 3a xl is almost identical yet you will be going from 5.6" screen to 6" and from a 3450mah battery to a 3700mah battery. For me was well worth going with the 3a xl over the plain 3a. Got mine open box, new for 300 shipped, nothing but phone not a great deal as i use the old charger from my og xl

Reactions: lmacmil

[email protected]

Jul 1, 2016
colorado springs
I also moved of xl to 3a xl here is my opinion
Upgraded from the original pixel XL to pixel 3a XL

can't have been better upgrade fixed everything I needed that wasn't on the Pixel XL

Better battery life
New and fast Updates
Bigger screen
Very affordable

Overall a great successor to the Pixel XL
10/10 would recommend

Reactions: adm1jtg

mbk17

Nov 16, 2011
Upgraded from an original XL to a 3AXL. Also have no regrets. Most noticeable change is the improved battery life and screen time.

However I have heard of rumors of a 4A XL coming out, so it may be best to wait until that is released if you want something newer or want another price drop.

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
Everyone here keeps saying they went from the OG XL to the 3a XL. I went from the OG XL to the regular 3a since they are similar in footprint. I don't regret it & I didn't want the XL because it was just too big.

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
Jan 9, 2015
Sydney
Everyone here keeps saying they went from the OG XL to the 3a XL. I went from the OG XL to the regular 3a since they are similar in footprint. I don't regret it & I didn't want the XL because it was just too big.
But the battery stonks though

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs

Reactions: jmtjr278

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia

To big? it is physically almost the identical size to the og xl you upgraded from. So i guess your saying your og xl was to big then?

xnifex

Jul 4, 2006
Phoenix
To big? it is physically almost the identical size to the og xl you upgraded from. So i guess your saying your og xl was to big then?

OG XL:
154.7 x 75.7 x 8.5 mm (6.09 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)

3a:
151.3 x 70.1 x 8.2 mm (5.96 x 2.76 x 0.32 in)

3a XL:
160.1 x 76.1 x 8.2 mm (6.30 x 3.00 x 0.32 in)

The 3a XL is much taller than the OG XL & that's what I did not want. While the 3a XL is practically the same width, it's taller & therefore perceived as bigger.

lmacmil

Dec 7, 2013
I agree. My OG XL looks massive sitting next to my wife's 3a.

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
OG XL:
154.7 x 75.7 x 8.5 mm (6.09 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)

3a:
151.3 x 70.1 x 8.2 mm (5.96 x 2.76 x 0.32 in)

3a XL:
160.1 x 76.1 x 8.2 mm (6.30 x 3.00 x 0.32 in)

The 3a XL is much taller than the OG XL & that's what I did not want. While the 3a XL is practically the same width, it's taller & therefore perceived as bigger.

Each to their own... The .2 inches taller to me is barely noticeable. I use the same belt pouch just adjusted the closing clasp slightly.

Also for me the bigger battery is a huge plus. I can get almost 2 days between charges and about 7 hours sot

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I went from original xl to 3a xl around Thanksgiving. No complaints are all. At first i thought the lack of twrp on Android 10 and very few custom roms would be a huge issue, but the reality is that for me at least it runs so well on just rooted stock i haven't even been tempted to load other roms. Literally like 2 magisk modules and that's it.

Typical use i get about 7 to 8 hours screen on time with roughly 2 days between charges.

Since your on an xl now the physical size of the 3a xl is almost identical yet you will be going from 5.6" screen to 6" and from a 3450mah battery to a 3700mah battery. For me was well worth going with the 3a xl over the plain 3a. Got mine open box, new for 300 shipped, nothing but phone not a great deal as i use the old charger from my og xl
    I also moved of xl to 3a xl here is my opinion
    Upgraded from the original pixel XL to pixel 3a XL

can't have been better upgrade fixed everything I needed that wasn't on the Pixel XL

Better battery life
    New and fast Updates
    Bigger screen
    Very affordable

Overall a great successor to the Pixel XL
    10/10 would recommend
    But the battery stonks though

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone