• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

upgrade method to another android version for Rockchip unit (px6 px5 Px30 and other )

Search This thread

berlo

Aug 4, 2017
France
Here are the logs of the wifi not being enabled event that I captured today. Thanks
I have the same problem as you on the same device (Dasaita 4/64g max6) and the same rom (Hal9k) : I lost the wifi and the double usb after a factory reset of the post. Did you find a solution ?

I read that the option of internet sharing by bluetooth was present for a rom android 10. Do you have this sharing bluetooth in the factory settings of your rom ?

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
I have the same problem as you on the same device (Dasaita 4/64g max6) and the same rom (Hal9k) : I lost the wifi and the double usb after a factory reset of the post. Did you find a solution ?

I read that the option of internet sharing by bluetooth was present for a rom android 10. Do you have this sharing bluetooth in the factory settings of your rom ?

Appears to be an issue with the base ROM and Driver support. Try flashing a base IMG and then upgrading to a recent HA OTA.

Edit, can see you've tried various updates. Just for kicks, try changing the MCU factory setting bluetooth type and restarting. Cycle thru various bt types.

chemao

Oct 17, 2008
Boston, MA
following the official Rockchip upgrade tool https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ment/mtcd-e-android-10-upgrade-using-t4123933

if you are upgrading from the same version ex android 9 to android 9 you don't need this
if you are upgrading from android 9 to android 10 or later version you will need this

tools link

here is the simplified method ( for 1&2 you need update.img for 3 you need UPDATE.ZIP )

first method __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

using usb A to A ( https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ma...&keywords=usb+atoa&qid=1594497313&sr=8-2&th=1 )
and laptop
download RockChip Batch Tool
connect the pc to the unit using the usb
in fw path chose the IMG file
the click upgrade
wait until you process is done will see the new version booting up
don't unplug until the app tel you to do so

second method _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

using the Real GPS SD port
download SDDiskTool
plug the SD to PC
select the SD from drop menu
Only upgrade option is checked
then select the IMG file
click create
when it is done
go to your unit
the put in to recovery
then plug the sd into the REAL GPS port
then from recovery select restart system
the upgrade process will start
then it will ask you to remove the sd
then it will boot up

third method ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
using the app modinstaller 2 on your unit ( http://hal9k.ru/?page_id=207)
click on the version you want
then NEW recovery will boot
put a OTA update.zip on sd or usb drive
select upgrade
then the upgrade will start don't remove the USB until update is done
I have updated several times but after it says update was successful, it just goes to a black screen with the buttons lit up and nothing happens. Please help!

berlo

Aug 4, 2017
France
Appears to be an issue with the base ROM and Driver support. Try flashing a base IMG and then upgrading to a recent HA OTA.

Edit, can see you've tried various updates. Just for kicks, try changing the MCU factory setting bluetooth type and restarting. Cycle thru various bt types.
Thanks, I'll try.

edit :

- For the Bluetooth : nothing.

I have tried all types of bluetooth, none of them change the situation

- For the ROM : also failed

I made a male-male usb A cord with 2 old cables, but I don't have the connection in the rockchip utility "RKDevTool". It's the same with a usb C-usb A cable (in windows 10 with my laptop, a Dell precision 3530).

I formatted a sd card (64go) with "FAT32", and install the "HCT7_rk3399_10.0_IMG(20200415)" image on it successfully, but the recovery aborts the installation. Maybe my sdcard is too big ...

I might have more success with an android 9 rom ("HCT4_rk3399_9.0_IMG(20191125)"?). I will try with another PC and as a last resort I have the Hal9k utility ...

edit : I did not manage to install an *.IMG rom with desktop or laptop or with the HCT android 9 rom ...

Last edited:

hapvlz

Jul 29, 2021
Hi Guys,

I am already so frustrated, I've wasted already 2 days for it.

My current setup is:
PX5
Android 8.0.0
Kernel: 4.4.93+ [email protected]
Hal9k Mod v3.1
px5-userdebug 8.0.0 OPR5.170623.007 eng.hct.2018
MTCE_MX_V3.73_1

I am trying to upgrade into Android 9 but no one of ways works.
I've also ordered MOD Installer from hal9k but he still did not send it...

I've tried to upgrade via IMG to Android 9 with SD Card, but unfortunately my car discover the card as USB not as GPS so I think it's not possible... as the android to not discover it during startup. (used SD Card installer to prepare the card)

Also I've tried with USB the same but I think via USB it doesn't work.
I've also bought USB Cable (USB - USB) but after connecting my laptop to head unit nothing happens, like it not detecting the device at all. (Maybe because it's USB 3.0 i don't know...), tools also don't see the device after connecting the cable.

I'm lost and frustrated.
Do you have some ideas? Seriously upgrade via USB can't work??

I've even took off the head unit to check if I have some card port inside the unit, but nothing is there.
I have some crap unit without buttons to reboot the device, and even no reset pin possibility. (I go into recovery mode via another update.zip usb stick and by disconnecting it during update i'm getting into recovery mode....)

ikerg

Dec 19, 2007
For the USB to USB you need to install the rockchip drivers into you laptop. Did you do it?
For the gps port you only will know if working or not by building the bootable sdcard and boot the unit
The modinstaller is the most reliable way

hapvlz

Jul 29, 2021
Thank you for response bro, really appreciate since I am frustrated as hell.

I've installed rockchip drivers (latest version), but nothing happened. I have feeling it's because the cable is USB 3.0 this is only one reasonable explanation, since when connecting laptop to head unit not even windows sound happen that it discover an device, also nothing show up in devices list.

I've builded bootable SDCard via SDDiskTool (tried several different IMG files), then went into recovery mode (recovery 8.0 version) and tried to "apply updates ..." but it was saying that no sd card discovered. Also restart did not run it automatically as it should. In files manager I can see that the SD Card is being discovered as USB not as GPS :/ So I think I can't do it via SD Card.

Nothing else that I can do I think :/ I've bought already modinstaller but the seller is not answering via mail or on telegram and tomorrow I have planned travel 800km at sea and wanted to have it done ehh..

As far as I understand that ModInstaller is just an recovery update to specific version that is required to upgrade to specific android version. So in that case I would need recovery 9 I guess. But i can't find any conversation/topics about it.

I think I have no options than wait for hal9k.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Thank you for response bro, really appreciate since I am frustrated as hell.

I've installed rockchip drivers (latest version), but nothing happened. I have feeling it's because the cable is USB 3.0 this is only one reasonable explanation, since when connecting laptop to head unit not even windows sound happen that it discover an device, also nothing show up in devices list.

I've builded bootable SDCard via SDDiskTool (tried several different IMG files), then went into recovery mode (recovery 8.0 version) and tried to "apply updates ..." but it was saying that no sd card discovered. Also restart did not run it automatically as it should. In files manager I can see that the SD Card is being discovered as USB not as GPS :/ So I think I can't do it via SD Card.

Nothing else that I can do I think :/ I've bought already modinstaller but the seller is not answering via mail or on telegram and tomorrow I have planned travel 800km at sea and wanted to have it done ehh..

As far as I understand that ModInstaller is just an recovery update to specific version that is required to upgrade to specific android version. So in that case I would need recovery 9 I guess. But i can't find any conversation/topics about it.

I think I have no options than wait for hal9k.
Use OTG method for direct connection to SOM per my threads.

Is the factory method of flashing and free, unlike paid apps.

hapvlz

Jul 29, 2021
Use OTG method for direct connection to SOM per my threads.

Is the factory method of flashing and free, unlike paid apps.
As far I see it's not connection via USB just directly to the unit motherboard?
It's not something that I can do before tomorrow travel :D

Really there is no other app than ModInstaller that can allow for upgrading the android?
Seems hal9k is on vacations... still no answer :/

jlbooth

Feb 5, 2013
OnePlus 6T
As far I see it's not connection via USB just directly to the unit motherboard?
It's not something that I can do before tomorrow travel :D

Really there is no other app than ModInstaller that can allow for upgrading the android?
Seems hal9k is on vacations... still no answer :/
What is it that you want to accomplish by changing Android versions? Also why would you want to do it right before going on a trip? Not being critical and I wish you luck. You likely would end up tweaking and changing stuff on the head unit the whole time you are travelling, just saying.

Reactions: marchnz

hapvlz

Jul 29, 2021
hal9k managed to respond me y'day late evening with the soft.
Upgrade went smooth and successfull :)

I am already in destination without any issues, new android 9 worked perfectly with maps, youtube, camera recorder etc.
The reason why I wanted to upgrade is I had huge lags on my previous version that caused navigation to be extremally slow and delayed.

On android 9 trust me or not, everything works way better. :)

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
hal9k managed to respond me y'day late evening with the soft.
Upgrade went smooth and successfull :)

I am already in destination without any issues, new android 9 worked perfectly with maps, youtube, camera recorder etc.
The reason why I wanted to upgrade is I had huge lags on my previous version that caused navigation to be extremally slow and delayed.

On android 9 trust me or not, everything works way better. :)
I'm on android 8 and don't have the problems you mention.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    following the official Rockchip upgrade tool https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...ment/mtcd-e-android-10-upgrade-using-t4123933

if you are upgrading from the same version ex android 9 to android 9 you don't need this
    if you are upgrading from android 9 to android 10 or later version you will need this

tools link
    https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

here is the simplified method ( for 1&2 you need update.img for 3 you need UPDATE.ZIP )

first method __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

using usb A to A ( https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Male-24AWG-Cable-Plated/dp/B002KKXP3M/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=usb%2Batoa&qid=1594497313&sr=8-2&th=1 )
    and laptop
    download RockChip Batch Tool
    connect the pc to the unit using the usb
    in fw path chose the IMG file
    the click upgrade
    wait until you process is done will see the new version booting up
    don't unplug until the app tel you to do so

second method _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

using the Real GPS SD port
    download SDDiskTool
    plug the SD to PC
    select the SD from drop menu
    Only upgrade option is checked
    then select the IMG file
    click create
    when it is done
    go to your unit
    the put in to recovery
    then plug the sd into the REAL GPS port
    then from recovery select restart system
    the upgrade process will start
    then it will ask you to remove the sd
    then it will boot up

third method ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    using the app modinstaller 2 on your unit ( http://hal9k.ru/?page_id=207)
    click on the version you want
    then NEW recovery will boot
    put a OTA update.zip on sd or usb drive
    select upgrade
    then the upgrade will start don't remove the USB until update is done
    and for anyone that his unit only have 1 SD card reader only ( media sd )
    actually the second one is hiding inside (GPS SD)
    if you want to try
    i have moded my unit to be able to access the GPS port
    you need to remove the one side the cut a hole to access the SD card

from top cover
    https://i.imgur.com/fzusSZ5.jpg
    close up to the SD card ( it comes empty)
    https://i.imgur.com/uGgUdxn.jpg
    after i remove the side case
    https://i.imgur.com/gGxj61y.jpg
    the side case after cutting ( i am very bad i know )
    https://i.imgur.com/0qTW7Mw.jpg
    after installing the side back and you can see the SD card
    https://i.imgur.com/yQqeVIJ.jpg
    this is after the android 10 install
    https://i.imgur.com/yQqeVIJ.jpg
    The Latest version in here https://yadi.sk/d/umCvHqCDzHccr
    in the name if it is IMG for method 1& 2 as you need img
    if the name is OTA is for method 3

after you upgrade you can upgrade to the latest ota like normal just put it on the usb
    just so you know
    HA3_HCT_CHS2 and other
    are built for the same unit the only different is the launcher included in it
    use the one you like
    Thank you for the explanation.

How to create a. Img from the ota update.zip?

Envoyé de mon foofoo en utilisant mrbungle

You dont. In theory, not impossible, just difficult unless OTA contains full files including bootloader and recovery - which they never do.

Instead, install appropriate full .IMG then OTA from recovery.

If next question is where do I find .IMG files, a search through the mtcd section is the best place to start :)