Upgrade to s22 ultra?

Search This thread

dj24

Jun 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I'm fiercely debating with myself whether to or not. My deciding factor will be SOT {battery life.)

Every flagship android device at this point (not just Samsung) is starting to lose its identity trying to be the next iPhone. It's not working out for them IMHO. They've eliminated the headphone jack, IR blaster, SD card and now can't even bother to include a charger in the box. The prices have crept up to iPhonesque level on top of this.

But the biggest concern I have is how mainstream flagship android devices' battery life (SOT) have been left behind by Apple's Pro Max flagship series. I'm seeing comparison battery life videos and reviews everywhere where said flagship devices are being dumbed down and compared to just the pro model instead. That's how bad it is. People are getting legit 3-4 days of SOT with the 13 Pro Max and no one here can the say the same for their android/ galaxy devices unless they're rocking the bottom of the mill set like the Motorola G Power..

I wish more people would focus on this and bring it to their attention. As much as I despise Apple, I grudgingly admit that they have pretty much caught up with hardware specs matching their excellent software and now exceeded beyond that. They have class leading camera and video quality and now added out of this world battery life on top of this. If that hideous notch finally goes away as its been rumored with the 14 pro max, I don't see any reason not to finally go to the dark side...:(

I love my N20 Ultra (everything except the SOT) and use the S-Pen quite a bit so I'll look at the S22 Ultra and its rumored 5000mAh battery performance once its released. I'm not holding my breath though so once the S22 Ultra is released- unless a crazily unbelievable trade in deal valuation isn't offered by Samsung for my Note, this will be my last one.

torontocomfortzone

Jan 22, 2022
I'm fiercely debating with myself whether to or not. My deciding factor will be SOT {battery life.)

Every flagship android device at this point (not just Samsung) is starting to lose its identity trying to be the next iPhone. It's not working out for them IMHO. They've eliminated the headphone jack, IR blaster, SD card and now can't even bother to include a charger in the box. The prices have crept up to iPhonesque level on top of this.

But the biggest concern I have is how mainstream flagship android devices' battery life (SOT) have been left behind by Apple's Pro Max flagship series. I'm seeing comparison battery life videos and reviews everywhere where said flagship devices are being dumbed down and compared to just the pro model instead. That's how bad it is. People are getting legit 3-4 days of SOT with the 13 Pro Max and no one here can the say the same for their android/ galaxy devices unless they're rocking the bottom of the mill set like the Motorola G Power..

I wish more people would focus on this and bring it to their attention. As much as I despise Apple, I grudgingly admit that they have pretty much caught up with hardware specs matching their excellent software and now exceeded beyond that. They have class leading camera and video quality and now added out of this world battery life on top of this. If that hideous notch finally goes away as its been rumored with the 14 pro max, I don't see any reason not to finally go to the dark side...:(

I love my N20 Ultra (everything except the SOT) and use the S-Pen quite a bit so I'll look at the S22 Ultra and its rumored 5000mAh battery performance once its released. I'm not holding my breath though so once the S22 Ultra is released- unless a crazily unbelievable trade in deal valuation isn't offered by Samsung for my Note, this will be my last one.
great reply, man!
We have no idea about the new processor yet
The iPhone a15 processor is a beast in both performace and battery management.

Reactions: metallic.steel

a1atif

May 31, 2012
Atlanta, GA

Very good detailed comment. i dont like that Samsung/Android Phones took away IR Blaster and all the good stuff to be like Iphone. i been Always a android person but now seriously thinking about looking else where.... specially if Samsung is really going to take away SD card slot... if they want to take that away they should offer Unlimited cloud storage like google offers with Pixel phones.
Other wise there is no doubt about Iphone's processor being a beast and they are ahead in Camera and SOT.

Reactions: metallic.steel

Ducter

Jan 10, 2009
I'll stay put, my note does everything I ask of it. I don't need 3-4 days battery as every single day I've been alive in my 50 years I've had electricity or means to charge. We've fallen into this cycle that every year or two we need a new phone, thank the carriers for that as is simply not true. I don't need a sports car that can go 200mph, I drive 70-75 as that's what's realistic.

elmor0

Coming from Asus ROG 3 (and even compared to OP7 Pro}, the battery life of Note 20 ultra is disappointing (I've got the SD variant; heard that Exynos variant battery life is even worse).

5,000 mA battery for S22U sounds better - will await overall device reviews before deciding.

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Unless I see something that screams "NO" (Which I really don't expect) I fully plan on upgrading.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Will decide once we have the concrete specs. But initially I like it. S22Ultra is practically a Note 20Ultra successor. S naming is just for marketing I think.

WhySoSeriousJoKer

Oct 22, 2013
Leeuwarden
ZTE Axon 30
I don't think so. The price wil be high (€1249/€1349/€1449) and the front just looks like the Note 20 Ultra, the S22 Ultra is even 0.1" smaller.

Better camera's, Soc and QHD+/120Hz is nice, but for the high price not worth the upgrade.

2004908288.jpeg

FKiQIR6XoAYJugk

Last edited:
I just ordered my S22 Ultra. First Galaxy S I've owned since the Note 8 came out. Been Note since then.

My Z Fold 3 is my daily driver, but I keep my N20U around as a backup device on a secondary line. Really wasn't considering trading in, but if you go through Samsung.com and choose TMo, it drops the price of the S22 Ultra 256GB a full $100 cheaper than the other carriers or unlocked. Plus with online activation that knocked off another $50. Trade in for the N20U was $800. It was $600 through everyone else. Brought the price down to $349.

Then I traded in my Galaxy Watch 4 for $120 and used $250 credit toward a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic (I missed that physical bezel). After tax, I'm spending $330 for the S22 Ultra and the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. Seemed like a no brainer to me.

This is the first carrier branded device I've purchased in a few years, but it'll be paid off and I can unlock it in I believe 45 days. Flash the factory unlocked firmware for a bloat free experience and I'll never know the difference.

I'll actually keep this one a couple years, unless the S23 Ultra does something just totally amazing. Plus I'll be saving up to get the ZF4 if it's a big upgrade over my ZF3.

So TL;DR - If you're a. TMo customer it's a no brainer. It's only $349. Even less if you go direct through TMo and don't mind the bill credits. I didn't want to deal with Bill credits and the $250 samsung store credit made up the difference in my mind.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I just got my Note 20 ultra 5G last month and I wont upgrade for a long time. S22 does not bring much of an upgrade, and money does not grow on trees for me :)
    I also have no interest in iPhones at all.
    No SD Card, no buy.
    I'll skip upgrade for one more year. I'm happy with Note 20 Ultra.
    I'll stay put, my note does everything I ask of it. I don't need 3-4 days battery as every single day I've been alive in my 50 years I've had electricity or means to charge. We've fallen into this cycle that every year or two we need a new phone, thank the carriers for that as is simply not true. I don't need a sports car that can go 200mph, I drive 70-75 as that's what's realistic.