UPGRADE YOTAPHONE 2(YD206) running on 4.4.4 to RU latest firmware 5.0(YD201)

Search This thread

virtuanemo

Sep 21, 2013
Bangalore
If you've purchased a Yotaphone 2 YD206 from China/Hong Kong warehouse, you can't update it via OTA. As there no System Update feature available in Kitkat 4.4.4.
NOTE - I ain't responsible if you kill your phone with your own hands. So :good:

Here's a guide for all who want to upgrade your HK build YOTAphone running on Kitkat to RU build.

YB6vcq.jpg

The image above is just for your reference. Don't mind the language. I took that image from another post.

PROCEDURE:

1. Download necessary drivers for Yotaphone 2.
- Actually download both Qualcomm and ADB drivers and proceed further.
- I recommend you to be online so that the Windows detects the hardware device and updates for latest drivers.

2. Install YotaphoneFlasher
Download latest firmware under the HK directory - 5.0.0-HK1.1.66.zip and the RU directory - 5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip

3. First, unzip the latest HK firmware, copy all the files in it and travel to this path --> C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher
- Create a new folder and name it firmware
- Now under C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher\firmware\ paste all the files here.

4. Enable Developer options on your Yota and enable USB debugging mode.
- Power off the phone.
- Enter download mode by holding power and volume down button simultaneously.
- Connect your phone to the PC via Yota USB.
NOTE: Make sure all the drivers are installed correctly before proceeding further.

5. Using YotaPhoneFlasher on your PC, select option 1 which says flash the cellphone
- You can see the phone starts flashing the files
- If this step doesn't go smooth then you've not placed the files inside the firmware folder

6. While the phone is still flashing, it prompts the user if he needs to flash userdata on your Yota.
- Hit y/n to proceed
- Once the firmware is upgraded, do not hesitate to shut the YotaPhoneFlasher prompt.
- Your phone will reboot, and you can see the boot animation looping.
- Do not panic, GO HAVE YOUR MEAL and come back to experience Android L on your phone.
- Unplug the USB cable from your phone.

7. Set the phone and make it ready to use.
- You can see your device model has changed from YD206 --> YD201
- By now you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
- Go ahead and install the update.
- Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-HK1.1.124d
- Your phone is good to go now. You won't be receiving any further OTA updates here.

THE FOLLOWING POST CONTINUES FOR THOSE WHO WANT RU BUILD -
8. Follow step 3 carefully with necessary amendments.
- Here, you need to delete files in the firmware folder since they belong to HK build.
- Unzip the RU build, copy it's files to \firmware\ folder

9. Repeat Step 4,5,6,7
- Under step 7, you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
- Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134

HbqS4x.jpg

If you haven't noticed, 4G also works on both HK/RU Lollipop builds.

Hit the bottom right button which says THANKS if you have survived the challenge of keeping your phone alive :laugh: ;)

Last edited:

rubews

Nov 26, 2016
Battery life

Thx you so much for yur time! I have a question about LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134 how many hours of display can you do with it?

queser.info

Apr 18, 2013
is a difference between RU5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip and EU File:5.0.0-EU1.1.124b.zip? I'm not from Rusia, so should I go witht the european version no?

Reactions: NullyOne

Parmo100

Jan 5, 2016
Thx you so much for yur time! I have a question about LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134 how many hours of display can you do with it?

I get 4-6 hours with Russian lollipop on WiFi. This is for nonstop browsing on OLED screen using normal power and location services but with app optimisation. Attached chart is from current battery status - almost 6 hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-28-00-59-39.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-28-00-59-39.png
    153 KB · Views: 2,044
Last edited:
Reactions: rubews

Parmo100

Jan 5, 2016
is a difference between RU5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip and EU File:5.0.0-EU1.1.124b.zip? I'm not from Rusia, so should I go witht the european version no?

All the major languages are on the Russian and European ROMs,but the Russian firmware will always be the first version pushed out and in the future will be the version that is supported the longest. The software is the same except there are a few Russian only apps, e.g english aeroflot timetables etc, Russian language yota cover scripts and Russian books in yota reader instead of multilingual books on the European ROM.
Currently you can do an OTA from the Russian ROM to get the 1.1.134 version which is not yet available on the European ROM.
I recommend the Russian ROM, which language do you intend using on your Yotaphone?

Last edited:
Reactions: rubews

rubews

Nov 26, 2016
I get 4-6 hours with Russian lollipop on WiFi. This is for nonstop browsing on OLED screen using normal power and location services but with app optimisation. Attached chart is from current battery status - almost 6 hours.

That's a good results , i m getting 5-6 hours nonstop browsing in my Sony Z3 compact but it's 4.6 , I m thinking to change it for a yotaphone 2 . I really like double screen and this 1080p oled screen looks great.

queser.info

Apr 18, 2013
All the major languages are on the Russian and European ROMs,but the Russian firmware will always be the first version pushed out and in the future will be the version that is supported the longest. The software is the same except there are a few Russian only apps, e.g english aeroflot timetables etc, Russian language yota cover scripts and Russian books in yota reader instead of multilingual books on the European ROM.
Currently you can do an OTA from the Russian ROM to get the 1.1.134 version which is not yet available on the European ROM.
I recommend the Russian ROM, which language do you intend using on your Yotaphone?

I will use it with english, and another question, the phone needed to be rooted when I start the firmware upgrade?
Thank you.

Parmo100

Jan 5, 2016
I will use it with english, and another question, the phone needed to be rooted when I start the firmware upgrade?
Thank you.

No, you don't need root to use yotaflasher. It is very very easy to use. Select/Download firmware, flash firmware.

The most common yotaflasher failure is adb driver problems.

Last edited:

Parmo100

Jan 5, 2016
If you use yotaphone on a powersave setting, that only allows phone, SMS and reader, you will get several days on one charge.
The implementation of extreme power save is currently clumsy, but in future release this will be much better.

alexislaborda

Jun 25, 2015
EPD screen fail on black screen

Hi,
Anyone with problems on the EPD screen after the upgrade? For me it works only on "White mode", if not, the black becomes gray and a lot of refreshing issues occurs, it's unusable.

Reactions: Luke25361

Parmo100

Jan 5, 2016
I'm sure they will continue to upgrade the firmware, until yotaphone 3 comes out anyway. The Russian ROM is always first.

staphoent

Jun 9, 2016
Hi I am having real problems here. I purchased the YD206 2 months ago from Banggood and then flashed it with the 4.4.3 EU firmware which i changed the radio to the CN firmware so that it would accept it. I now realise that I should have flashed it with the RU firmware as I want the latest release. However I am finding it impossible to get it to accept the latest RU firmware. I have tried:

1) Flashing the latest RU firmware onto the phone which has the latest EU firmware.

2) Factory reset back to the first EU firmware 4.4.3 and flashing the latest RU firmware onto

3) Flashing the 4.4.3 CN firmware over the first 4.4.3 EU firmware.

All attempts have the same result as the model number still reads YD201, the baseband version says S01_003_3034_RU1_M11_P2 and the building number reads KTU84L.4.4.3-s01-003-EU1.0.3.51a and the item keeps attempting to download EU updates rather than RU.

I would like some advice on how to get my phone to accept the latest RU update.

Regards

NullyOne

Apr 28, 2013
Paris
Hi! I followed instructions from @numan.fallen and everything seems to be ok. I have LTE (I'm in France).
I received an OTA update, wihich I installed.
Build number is LRX21M.5.0.0-HK1.1.124d

Last edited:

virtuanemo

Sep 21, 2013
Bangalore
Hi,
Anyone with problems on the EPD screen after the upgrade? For me it works only on "White mode", if not, the black becomes gray and a lot of refreshing issues occurs, it's unusable.

Well, I'm sure most of us are facing refreshing rate issues on EPD with WHITE MODE disabled. True that, the EPD's refreshing rate is bad on BLACK MODE compared to that of WHITE MODE. Hoping for the developers to look into this issue and rectify it in their future OTAs

alexislaborda

Jun 25, 2015
Well, I'm sure most of us are facing refreshing rate issues on EPD with WHITE MODE disabled. True that, the EPD's refreshing rate is bad on BLACK MODE compared to that of WHITE MODE. Hoping for the developers to look into this issue and rectify it in their future OTAs

Bad resfresh rate is "ok" on EPD, but mine junt can not produce a black screen, it turns light gray, even that "Yotaphone" screen when you are turning the device, almost can't see the "Yotaphone" word which is white from the gray background which should be black.

ibdilbert

Oct 3, 2010
Hi,

Same Issue.

I installed the HK version, everything was fine including the edp screen. Earlier today the phone locked up and I did a forced reboot only to find it wouldn't come out of the splash screen.

For kicks and giggles I installed the RU version, and immediately noticed the EDP screen was gray instead of black, sort of washed out and ghosting was a major issue making it unusable.

Thinking it may be the RU version, I loaded and went back to the HK version and it did not fix the issue. Am wondering if the phone got hot during the upgrade and toasted a component for the EDP screen. Or it is stuck in some kind of eink power save mode.

alexislaborda

Jun 25, 2015
Same Issue.
I installed the HK version, everything was fine including the edp screen. Earlier today the phone locked up and I did a forced reboot only to find it wouldn't come out of the splash screen.

For kicks and giggles I installed the RU version, and immediately noticed the EDP screen was gray instead of black, sort of washed out and ghosting was a major issue making it unusable.

Thinking it may be the RU version, I loaded and went back to the HK version and it did not fix the issue. Am wondering if the phone got hot during the upgrade and toasted a component for the EDP screen. Or it is stuck in some kind of eink power save mode.

I think it is the RU version, i flashed the HK first and then the RU, following the guide.
I tried the CN version, KitKat HK and RU, and nothing fix the issue.

At least it is usable in white mode, and "mirror mode" too, it is unusable when trying to show a black screen with white characters.

I attached two pictures, IMG_20161130_080400.jpg the screen should be back with white characters, and IMG_20161130_123721.jpg working in "White Mode"

Attachments

• IMG_20161130_080400.jpg
    IMG_20161130_080400.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1,828
  • IMG_20161130_123721.jpg
    IMG_20161130_123721.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 1,834
Reactions: ibdilbert

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you've purchased a Yotaphone 2 YD206 from China/Hong Kong warehouse, you can't update it via OTA. As there no System Update feature available in Kitkat 4.4.4.
    NOTE - I ain't responsible if you kill your phone with your own hands. So :good:

Here's a guide for all who want to upgrade your HK build YOTAphone running on Kitkat to RU build.

YB6vcq.jpg

The image above is just for your reference. Don't mind the language. I took that image from another post.

PROCEDURE:

1. Download necessary drivers for Yotaphone 2.
    - Actually download both Qualcomm and ADB drivers and proceed further.
    - I recommend you to be online so that the Windows detects the hardware device and updates for latest drivers.

2. Install YotaphoneFlasher
    Download latest firmware under the HK directory - 5.0.0-HK1.1.66.zip and the RU directory - 5.0.0-RU1.1.124.zip

3. First, unzip the latest HK firmware, copy all the files in it and travel to this path --> C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher
    - Create a new folder and name it firmware
    - Now under C:\Program Files (x86)\yotaphone_flasher\firmware\ paste all the files here.

4. Enable Developer options on your Yota and enable USB debugging mode.
    - Power off the phone.
    - Enter download mode by holding power and volume down button simultaneously.
    - Connect your phone to the PC via Yota USB.
    NOTE: Make sure all the drivers are installed correctly before proceeding further.

5. Using YotaPhoneFlasher on your PC, select option 1 which says flash the cellphone
    - You can see the phone starts flashing the files
    - If this step doesn't go smooth then you've not placed the files inside the firmware folder

6. While the phone is still flashing, it prompts the user if he needs to flash userdata on your Yota.
    - Hit y/n to proceed
    - Once the firmware is upgraded, do not hesitate to shut the YotaPhoneFlasher prompt.
    - Your phone will reboot, and you can see the boot animation looping.
    - Do not panic, GO HAVE YOUR MEAL and come back to experience Android L on your phone.
    - Unplug the USB cable from your phone.

7. Set the phone and make it ready to use.
    - You can see your device model has changed from YD206 --> YD201
    - By now you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
    - Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-HK1.1.124d
    - Your phone is good to go now. You won't be receiving any further OTA updates here.

THE FOLLOWING POST CONTINUES FOR THOSE WHO WANT RU BUILD -
    8. Follow step 3 carefully with necessary amendments.
    - Here, you need to delete files in the firmware folder since they belong to HK build.
    - Unzip the RU build, copy it's files to \firmware\ folder

9. Repeat Step 4,5,6,7
    - Under step 7, you should've received an OTA update of size 200+ MB.
    - Phone reboots and you'll be having the build number as --> LRX21M.5.0.0-RU1.1.134

HbqS4x.jpg

If you haven't noticed, 4G also works on both HK/RU Lollipop builds.

Hit the bottom right button which says THANKS if you have survived the challenge of keeping your phone alive :laugh: ;)
    Guide update

Sorry for my English, as it is an edited translation of Google.
    It is necessary to make adjustments to instruction, which is set out at the beginning of the topic.
    YD206 and YD201 have different radios. For the correct and stable operation of your phone in GSM networks (and possibly in other cases) the Chinese version of the radio module firmware is required. RU, EU, HK versions contain Russian version of the radio module firmware. I did not compare the possibilities of different versions, the choice is yours.
    You need to download Yotaflasher, the selected firmware version and Chinese firmware 4.4.3-S01-003-CN1.0.3.32a. Be sure to check the integrity of downloaded files (eg, by 7-zip). The phone must be fully charged.
    1) Install Yotaflasher.
    2) In the folder, where you installed Yotaflasher, create a new folder and name it firmware.
    3) From the Chinese firmware file 4.4.3-S01-003-CN1.0.3.32a.zip unzip the folder Radio to the folder firmware.
    4) From the archives to the chosen version of the firmware unzip to the folder firmware all the files except the Radio folder.
    5) Turn off Yotaphone 2. Hold down Vol - button, press the power button. "Downloading ..." in small font will appear on the screen.
    6) Run Yotaflasher, select 1. You will see "waiting device". Close absolutely all the programs that you can close, including running in the background. This will avoid problems during flashing that are caused by lack of memory.
    7) Connect your phone to your computer. If ADB driver has been installed, the process of flashing will start. If not, a message appears that the driver is not found for the device. Open the Device Manager. There will be an Android device with a yellow exclamation mark next to. Right click on it and select Update Driver -> Search for driver on my computer. Select the folder in which you installed Yotaflasher, select the "Search subfolders", click "Next". ADB driver will be installed and flashing will start. Close Device Manager.
    8) In the course of the flashing you will be prompted to delete the user data. Select "y".
    9) After the flashing phone will reboot. Unplug it from the computer. In Yotaflasher window select 3.
    10) The first launch can be lengthy. Don't worry.
    11) Update your phone to the latest firmware version via OTA.
    Thanks for that!
    Would you also make a video when you flash the YD206 to 6.0 with chinese baseband?
    would be great.
    thank you.
    Here is your solution bro https://youtu.be/VdfiEH_w0Wg . remember you must on 5.0.0-RU1.1.134
    Hi all, my Yotaphone is arriving today and I have the RU firmware ready to flash. If I need to flash the CN radio afterwards to get a signal does that require an unlocked bootloader? I haven't seen any mention of unlocking it. Thanks

A new guide has been made sticky, which answers all your present and future questions: https://forum.xda-developers.com/yotaphone-one/help/guide-everything-to-yotaphone2-t3547194
    sir all the above links are expired or removed. and I`m stuck with android 4.4.3. so if u have files please send me the link. my email id is [email protected] thank you
    All of the firmware files I have I've uploaded to mega.
    Hopefully this helps.

https://mega.nz/#F!YTgyXBwD!eE05tYwl_vyyx7x3kdts2g

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk