upgrading a rom with windows vista[facts only]

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Feb 24, 2006
Jersey
has any one successfully upgraded their device with windows vista?

i read allot about it but it seems no one actually says ;yes i did it!
I'm also receiving PMs asking if it is possible....at the moment i don't know...since i haven't upgraded my PC yet.

please post facts only..so we can end the cofusion once for all.

temporarily stiky....as this will benefit everyone.

if this has been posted before please let me know and i will delete it.

AlanJC

Nov 15, 2004
West Midlands
Run Windows XP within VMWare and flashing that way works. I have read reports of a few people doing this as a last resort, and finding it works perfectly.

I'm not sure how *safe* it is since it virtualises your USB ports, so you may be at risk from bricking, but it does work.

gothier

Apr 4, 2005
Post 5 here saying it works for him.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292492

The thread is about WMDC 1.0 so not sure if that is necessary or not? He also says he upgraded to Vista from XP sp2.
Hi!

I made the changes suggested in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=291723
Since then I flashed my Universal 2 times with no problems at all.
Because of the change to the hardware driver I don´t think it has anything to do with the fact that I made an upgrade from XP SP2 to Vista.

oplitic

Feb 17, 2007
Worked on Vista for me to upgrade to WM6, but it wouldn't work on my dash to downgrade. Tried for like 2 hours, then tried once on my XP desktop and worked perfectly.

gsmknight

Jun 10, 2007
Using VMware

I had problems flashing using vista so tried Microsoft's virtual pc 2007 but failed to deliver. I then managed to find the latest version of VMWare Workstation which was much more professional and worked so well I got butterflies.

I used to use an old pc for flashing but no more. It works perfect but please please make sure you download and install Vmware workstation 6 plus as anything other crashes on vista. Trust me been there!

And once you have imaged xp make sure you also install activesync 4.5 for best results.

Good luck and pm me if you have any questions.

the gsmknight

apphoen

Aug 22, 2005
Rheindahlen
I had problems flashing using vista so tried Microsoft's virtual pc 2007 but failed to deliver. I then managed to find the latest version of VMWare Workstation which was much more professional and worked so well I got butterflies.

I used to use an old pc for flashing but no more. It works perfect but please please make sure you download and install Vmware workstation 6 plus as anything other crashes on vista. Trust me been there!

And once you have imaged xp make sure you also install activesync 4.5 for best results.

Good luck and pm me if you have any questions.

the gsmknight
Helpful hints on where to get VMWare ws plus? ;-)

mjm383

Jan 12, 2007
has any one successfully upgraded their device with windows vista?

i read allot about it but it seems no one actually says ;yes i did it!
I'm also receiving PMs asking if it is possible....at the moment i don't know...since i haven't upgraded my PC yet.

please post facts only..so we can end the cofusion once for all.

temporarily stiky....as this will benefit everyone.

if this has been posted before please let me know and i will delete it.
i have, i downloaded from microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
familyid=46F72DF1-E46A-4A5F-A791-09F07AAA1914&displaylang=en

as i read it if you are using wm6 then vista will work for syncing & with no problems getting into boot loader for upgrading etc. with this update

but maybe not for downgrading to wm5 god forbid?

in my experience using wm6 with active sync 4.5 on xp was temperamental. but using wm5 was fine

i am very new to all this but if this helps anyone then it is a good thing

jackxlj

Jul 17, 2007
i updated the rom on my ppc6800 useing vista and it worked without flaw, and this is my first pda sence my old palm,which wasnt a phone,and had a non color screen,so im not an expert with this things.

damac

May 15, 2006
I'm running Vista Ultimate and have flashed my phone (charmer) numerous times. IMHO, the best way is if you're using RUU, use VMWare Workstation. If you're flashing using some other method which doesn't put your phone in bootloader mode before beginning to flash, then flash directly from within Vista. In fact, for normal flashing this is my favoured method, i.e. flashing directly from within Vista without making the phone enter bootloader. But then again, if you're flashing official ROMs, you only have RUUs in which case use VMWare Workstation.