upgrading from Yakju to Jelly bean... how?

Search This thread

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
hey all, I noticed that jelly bean is out, sort of.

i would like to put it on my nexus but am sofar unable to make sense of the development forums pertaining to this so hopefully someone here can help me understand this.

I used the efrant's post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=21113773#post21113773

to take my yakjuux nexus to yakju (4.0.4) using fastboot and the stock image provided from google...

I would like to upgrade further, though from what i can figure out JB is only available on takju (yakju with google wallet (works in US only)).

can someone here help me?

Camazza

Jun 23, 2009
Rovigo

i would like to put it on my nexus but am sofar unable to make sense of the development forums pertaining to this so hopefully someone here can help me understand this.

to take my yakjuux nexus to yakju (4.0.4) using fastboot and the stock image provided from google...

I would like to upgrade further, though from what i can figure out JB is only available on takju (yakju with google wallet (works in US only)).

If you're running stock yakju you don't really need to switch to takju. Just install CWM (The Galaxy Nexus Toolkit is an awesome tool to help you do that) and flash this.

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
If you're running stock yakju you don't really need to switch to takju. Just install CWM (The Galaxy Nexus Toolkit is an awesome tool to help you do that) and flash this.

got some troubleshooting to do... phone wont show up in fastboot... cant use the toolkit until i figure this out.

edit: reinstalled the naked universal driver... shows up in fastboot now.

Last edited:

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa

i think it worked, used option 6 for my build of android, then selectedthe option to install cwm touch, followed the instructions in section 3 on:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614827

Hopefully this will fix the issue i was having with my nexus where the radio would lose all connection to the network... usually have to reboot the phone to get it to work again... a minor annoyance for an awesome phone. Atleast it doesn't take 3-5 min to boot up like my blackberry playbook tablet (that's not cool RIM, please fix)...

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
another question, I don't think I got the full JB os, as my phone is still using the xxla2 radio... if i wanted to go back to yakju for the full stock OTA update, supposedly coming next month sometime, and keep my warranty, I would just reflash everything back to yakju, including recovery (CWM - stock)?

I assume I would have to do this with the fastboot in the DOS window since I don't think that I can revert everything back to 4.0.4 with the toolkit.

also how do I tell if the phone is rooted? I don't think i did this but would like to know anyways.

anton2009

Aug 21, 2010
Lincoln, NE
another question, I don't think I got the full JB os, as my phone is still using the xxla2 radio... if i wanted to go back to yakju for the full stock OTA update, supposedly coming next month sometime, and keep my warranty, I would just reflash everything back to yakju, including recovery (CWM - stock)?

I assume I would have to do this with the fastboot in the DOS window since I don't think that I can revert everything back to 4.0.4 with the toolkit.

also how do I tell if the phone is rooted? I don't think i did this but would like to know anyways.

Yes, for stock, use adb+fastboot and Nexus Factory Images for everything stock 100%. And to check for superuser, just download an app that requires it and see if you get a command prompt. But even easier than that, SuperUser or SuperSU should be in your app drawer if you have it installed, and also in your /system/app

Reactions: batkinson001

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
Yes, for stock, use adb+fastboot and Nexus Factory Images for everything stock 100%. And to check for superuser, just download an app that requires it and see if you get a command prompt. But even easier than that, SuperUser or SuperSU should be in your app drawer if you have it installed, and also in your /system/app

I don't have those apps installed, guess I am not rooted. Good to know.

Also it should be noted that I no longer have any input lag using poweramp, with ICS 4.0.4 there was always a 1 second (seemed like it anyways) delay between the button press and the phone doing what I want. I hope this extends to using my bluetooth headset as well.

Last edited:

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
hmmm figured i would try downgrading to takju using the toolkit... it did everything which is nice however i noticed that it still uses the radio from yakju...

is there a way to check what it didn't add to the phone when it downgraded?

edit: I should add that it wiped my phone when I loaded takju...

looking forward to getting the official JB update next month...

Last edited:

dmapr

Jul 3, 2012
hmmm figured i would try downgrading to takju using the toolkit... it did everything which is nice however i noticed that it still uses the radio from yakju...

is there a way to check what it didn't add to the phone when it downgraded?

edit: I should add that it wiped my phone when I loaded takju...

looking forward to getting the official JB update next month...

I already had bootloader unlocked, so I just had to install CWM recovery and flash the jb-takju image mentioned earlier. Once the phone has rebooted the CWM was gone, so had to reflash that. Afterwards I downloaded the XLFF1 radios (you can search for radio-i9250-xxlf1.zip) and flashed them as well. Now my phone shows all the same versions as the takju phones passed out at Google I/O. All my settings, etc. were preserved.

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
I already had bootloader unlocked, so I just had to install CWM recovery and flash the jb-takju image mentioned earlier. Once the phone has rebooted the CWM was gone, so had to reflash that. Afterwards I downloaded the XLFF1 radios (you can search for radio-i9250-xxlf1.zip) and flashed them as well. Now my phone shows all the same versions as the takju phones passed out at Google I/O. All my settings, etc. were preserved.

i really would like to remain stock but get JB as well, what would I need besides that radio to make the takju image from the google site to be prompted to dl the OTA JB update if it is still available to download from google...?

edit: screw that, found efrant's post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28178320&postcount=2

hopefully the jb-takju.zip linked earlier in this thread is the same as the one in efrants' post....

if not, is it possible to reflash with the newer zip without setting everything up again?

Last edited:

dmapr

Jul 3, 2012
i really would like to remain stock but get JB as well, what would I need besides that radio to make the takju image from the google site to be prompted to dl the OTA JB update if it is still available to download from google...?

edit: screw that, found efrant's post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28178320&postcount=2

hopefully the jb-takju.zip linked earlier in this thread is the same as the one in efrants' post....

if not, is it possible to reflash with the newer zip without setting everything up again?

The linked one produced the same build number (JRN84D) on my phone as the one on the phone that came from Google I/O, which is the same as the one in efrants' post.

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
The linked one produced the same build number (JRN84D) on my phone as the one on the phone that came from Google I/O, which is the same as the one in efrants' post.

good to know, i compared the url's for both links, the one in efrant's post is missing the ) at the end. I ended up wiping the cache's (except for the one that sounds like some guys name) and flashed the zip from it. working great so far.

at the moment I am reinstalling my apps, and i do not think that all of the apps that were in the google folder last time i reinstalled the os, are there. anyone know what the default apps that are supposed to come with the OS are in that folder? I can only remember Layer which I installed manually...

dmapr

Jul 3, 2012
good to know, i compared the url's for both links, the one in efrant's post is missing the ) at the end. I ended up wiping the cache's (except for the one that sounds like some guys name) and flashed the zip from it. working great so far.

at the moment I am reinstalling my apps, and i do not think that all of the apps that were in the google folder last time i reinstalled the os, are there. anyone know what the default apps that are supposed to come with the OS are in that folder? I can only remember Layer which I installed manually...

Sorry, I didn't have to reinstall anything, so the apps in my Google folder are the same as before the update. I do however have Currents in the main app drawer which I don't remember having before.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can go from any rom (custom or stock) to jb as far as you have cwm and xxla2 radios..

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium