Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

cashen

Apr 18, 2008
I just bought an Echelon spin bike and it came with a Glory Star Nebula 21.5" (glorystartouch.com/product/Kiosk-Tablet/NEB-215) The specs are on that page. It runs android 7.1.2 and uses a kiosk lock ap called STAROS

I am able to get to the main program and sideload most anything.

Tap at the bottom right corner 5 times, password is either "0000" or "1085"

I've installed Nova Launcher which helps, but most apps I have installed need a newer version. I have not been able to get play store working yet as the google services is touchy.

I'm looking for a basic android experience. The native app works on all android devices so i can just install and run it when cycling and wanting to use their app.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Also, they have disabled the power button so I have to use a small ubs keyboard when i boot into the android recovery mode.

I had to remove all links. :(

Last edited:

amitjm1980

Jan 7, 2020
If you get this to work, let me know. My wife and I just bought two of these bikes!

I just bought an Echelon spin bike and it came with a Glory Star Nebula 21.5" (glorystartouch.com/product/Kiosk-Tablet/NEB-215) The specs are on that page. It runs android 7.1.2 and uses a kiosk lock ap called STAROS

I am able to get to the main program and sideload most anything.

Tap at the bottom right corner 5 times, password is either "0000" or "1085"

I've installed Nova Launcher which helps, but most apps I have installed need a newer version. I have not been able to get play store working yet as the google services is touchy.

I'm looking for a basic android experience. The native app works on all android devices so i can just install and run it when cycling and wanting to use their app.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Also, they have disabled the power button so I have to use a small ubs keyboard when i boot into the android recovery mode.

I had to remove all links. :(

dtrain83

Jan 21, 2020
Same here! Looking to get it to a basic android experience. Found a link (not allowed to post.. :rolleyes:) to the knowledge base, from the Glory Star Touch site... Support > Developer Community.

Takes you to a Zoho site with a knowledge base and some FAQ stuff.
There's some basic info in there, including how to upgrade the firmware to Android 7.1... Good place to start.

I'm going to try and mess with it later tonight after I get home.
I'm wondering if ADB debugging mode is enabled?

androidn00b42069

Mar 15, 2020
So I've done some poking around here

As my hastily thrown together username implies, I'm new to android development so take that into consideration but my findings so far:

- There's no GFS ID associated to the device (at least after a factory reset) which will restrict you from the google play store
- ADB is not enabled but is accessible through the hidden developer settings
- If you brick your device trying to upgrade you'll likely need to contact glory star to flash it (with their own firmware) at a charge
- Overall community for this product is very quiet, haven't seen many discussions on the internet mentioning it at all

I'm going to keep looking into this but please keep the thread posted if you make progress!

Same here! Looking to get it to a basic android experience. Found a link (not allowed to post.. :rolleyes:) to the knowledge base, from the Glory Star Touch site... Support > Developer Community.

Takes you to a Zoho site with a knowledge base and some FAQ stuff.
There's some basic info in there, including how to upgrade the firmware to Android 7.1... Good place to start.

I'm going to try and mess with it later tonight after I get home.
I'm wondering if ADB debugging mode is enabled?

FestiVOL

Apr 25, 2020
Dev menu gone?

Same here, and i while I had messed around in the STAROS earlier in the month, the touching repeatedly on the settings screen appears to be gone. Does anyone know where they moved it or are we SOL?

ptinga

Jul 26, 2020
Got Netflix installed on Echelon-5xs

I got Netflix installed on the nebula tablet with echelon 5xs bike.

Process is really simple:
1. Tap lower right corner of the screen five times and then put 1085 as the password;
2. Unlock the startos, with either 0000 or 1085 as the password and admin as the username;
3. Plugin a keyboard to the USB port, use win+b to open browser;
4. Open google and search for Netflix apk, and download the Netflix apk and install it;
5. Back to Staros app, and change the Staros mode to multiple apps mode, and change its settings by adding Netflix to the list in addition to EchelonFit;
6. Click “Launch Now” in Staros app, and now you get to a screen where you can select which app you want to run.

Another tip, press win+n to access drop down menu and system settings etc.

yandawg

Jan 5, 2014
Grand Forks, ND
Ptinga,

That is awesome, thanks for figuring this out! Do you think it is also impossible to install YouTube? Also, when you turn the bike on does it have the apps pop up first thing and u just select which one you want?

Thanks in advance for your time!

1. Tap lower right corner of the screen five times and then put 1085 as the password;
2. Unlock the startos, with either 0000 or 1085 as the password and admin as the username;
4. Open google and search for Netflix apk, and download the Netflix apk and install it;
5. Back to Staros app, and change the Staros mode to multiple apps mode, and change its settings by adding Netflix to the list in addition to EchelonFit;
6. Click “Launch Now” in Staros app, and now you get to a screen where you can select which app you want to run.

ptinga

Jul 26, 2020
It is possible to have YouTube installed. I’ll give it a try later today. Right now I have Netflix and Amazon Prime video installed.

The tablet will boot into a screen showing icons of the app for you to choose. Holding the power button (red button besides volume control) until pop-up window asking whether you want to power off will lead you back to the screen with app icons, touch outside of the pop-up window to cancel power off will let you stay on that screen and give you a chance to select a different app.

yandawg

Jan 5, 2014
Grand Forks, ND
Thanks again for checking to see if it would work out! That is so badass that you figured out how to do it!!! I should be getting my bike in the next couple of weeks and I will give it a try!

Have a good one

ptinga

Jul 26, 2020
You are welcome! And congrats for joining the community.

Just tried to install YouTube, no avail. YouTube requires google play store service and that requires the device to have a GSF ID. As one of the previous message in this thread, this tablet does not have that ID. I installed the “Device ID” app to confirm this. Further tweaking might be risky (possibly voiding the warranty).

Anyhow, if it’s just YouTube you want, you can just open browser and watch it there.

I also got inspired from a previous post in this thread to install the nova launcher, and choose that as my Home app, instead of starOS. So now I get more complete Android experience. There are third party apps which can takes care of updating apps, like Yalp.

(I’m an Android newbie, this is the first Android device I used primarily for something. I have several cheap Android phones with pay-as-you-go SIM cards left in cars as emergency backups.)

BTW, having access to the Android system settings had helped me setting up two Bluetooth speakers with this tablet. One is Amazon Echo Dot, the other is Bose mini 2. Both of them was not recognized inside the EchelonFit app, but once I got the paired via the Android OS settings, they were connected fine and recognized by EchelonFit. Echelon’s official FAQ suggests users to by a separate Bluetooth receiver if they couldn’t pair their speaker in this case. That’s just ridiculous. My impression so far with the company is they need to pay more attention to details, such as the user manual, app experience, website user portal etc. All needs improvement. The EX-5s does seem to be a quick product targeting peloton. Hope they will improve the software side of things over the years. So far I’m pleased with the hardware though.

Thanks again for checking to see if it would work out! That is so badass that you figured out how to do it!!! I should be getting my bike in the next couple of weeks and I will give it a try!

Have a good one

Reactions: yandawg

cynvp

Jul 29, 2020
has anyone tried installing the peloton app on their echelon? would love to be able to toggle back and forth between the two

yandawg

Jan 5, 2014
Grand Forks, ND
I am doubtful that would work due to the way that the echelon bike transmits it’s serial number to the app. This has to be done before it will show rpms or resistance. I highly doubt that the echelon would communicate the correct parameters for peloton to accept it as a bike, if that makes since.

has anyone tried installing the peloton app on their echelon? would love to be able to toggle back and forth between the two

JaimyC

Aug 30, 2020
Hi Everyone.. I just recieved my bike last week. The Nebula tablet was not able to connect to the bike. After logging into the admin screen I see that bluetooth is disabled and I can't seem to enable it. Support has not answered me. Today i turned on the bike and now the wifi is disabled and it to will not enable now. Do any of you smart guys know how to get them back enabled?

yandawg

Jan 5, 2014
Grand Forks, ND
Ptinga, I just got my bike today and tried to get into the menu by tapping 5 times in the bottom right to no avail. I restarted it and tapped at the bottom right in the bottom right white portion of the screen. I know this isn’t rocket science... I am trying to figure out where I am screwing up. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

You are welcome! And congrats for joining the community.

Just tried to install YouTube, no avail. YouTube requires google play store service and that requires the device to have a GSF ID. As one of the previous message in this thread, this tablet does not have that ID. I installed the “Device ID” app to confirm this. Further tweaking might be risky (possibly voiding the warranty).

Anyhow, if it’s just YouTube you want, you can just open browser and watch it there.

I also got inspired from a previous post in this thread to install the nova launcher, and choose that as my Home app, instead of starOS. So now I get more complete Android experience. There are third party apps which can takes care of updating apps, like Yalp.

(I’m an Android newbie, this is the first Android device I used primarily for something. I have several cheap Android phones with pay-as-you-go SIM cards left in cars as emergency backups.)

BTW, having access to the Android system settings had helped me setting up two Bluetooth speakers with this tablet. One is Amazon Echo Dot, the other is Bose mini 2. Both of them was not recognized inside the EchelonFit app, but once I got the paired via the Android OS settings, they were connected fine and recognized by EchelonFit. Echelon’s official FAQ suggests users to by a separate Bluetooth receiver if they couldn’t pair their speaker in this case. That’s just ridiculous. My impression so far with the company is they need to pay more attention to details, such as the user manual, app experience, website user portal etc. All needs improvement. The EX-5s does seem to be a quick product targeting peloton. Hope they will improve the software side of things over the years. So far I’m pleased with the hardware though.

yandawg

Jan 5, 2014
Grand Forks, ND
I got everything figured out regarding using YouTube on the bike via a browser. I have tried watching 4K videos on different browsers but it constantly buffers. I am getting over 50 mbps on the bike so the connection is not the issue. Does anyone have any idea why it constantly buffers? Is it because there is limited memory in the tablet? The videos pause every 3-4 seconds to load.

mobilEKG

Dec 19, 2017
Does Echelon broadcast power/cadence via any standard protocol (ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart), or does it go directly to its own App via the wire? Any info about such SDK in the latter case? Would like to make Apps for it.

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Picked-up an EX5S and was able to get Netflix, D+ to work. HBO, YT required Google play services to be installed.

Using Lawnchair as home app. Might switch back to Nova if I can purchase direct access outside of Google Play and if it can resolve my issue below.

When I launch the Echelon Fit app , I don't have any other option to go back to my Home screen unless I go through the unlock process again. The home, back arrow icons aren't visible. When I launch Netflix, the back arrow works and allows me to exit the app, but the home icon does nothing.

Maybe I'm missing something?

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
So far I have the following working:
Disney +
CBS
Netflix
Hulu
Peloton

HBO Max requires the Play

VUDU detects that the table is rooted and will not run. Looking for workarounds on this.

I'm exploring the possibility of flashing this tablet with GAPPS so I can generate a GFS ID to access the PLAY store going forward.

Ordered a cellphone holder than I plan to mount under the monitor. This will allow me to use the Echelon app in Free Ride mode (to connect to the bike/track my cadence) while I'm logged into Peloton on the main screen and try to follow along with the class.

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Does Echelon broadcast power/cadence via any standard protocol (ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart), or does it go directly to its own App via the wire? Any info about such SDK in the latter case? Would like to make Apps for it.
It's sent from the Bike via Bluetooth. The wire that runs through the bike simply provides power to the Tablet.

Would be great if there was an app that connected to the bike that you could then overlay over the Peloton app.