• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

Search This thread

mopho14

May 4, 2008
Ok while this thread has been AMAZING!!! I think we all have similar but different agendas. So I am posting this to confirm that my particular plans are set to go.. Back story, I had an ex5, I used my phone to run the Echelon app in freestyle mode (I think thats what its called) and docked my windows surface style laptop to run Peloton on it which I had blasting out of my Echo speaker for a full experience. However, my ex5 liked to drop Bluetooth connection and is now being replaced. Now for some reason i am being sent a Ex5s as a replacement, honestly it was a mixed bag of emotions because that effs up my program and I dont want to use Echelons classes. However, hey the screen!!! & its a free upgrade!!! So my plan is to install the Peloton app on the screen/tablet and connect the bike to my phone for stats.

Ok I have so far gathered that these are the steps: NOTE: I don't need Netflix, YouTube or anything else I have tv with a chromecast tv hooked up to it in my garage gym

Desired outcome: Run Echelon on my phone for the bike read outs/stats and use Peloton on the ex5s screen with it connected to my Echo speaker

First:
View attachment 5274855

2nd:
View attachment 5274853
Then for ease of use:
View attachment 5274857

Last is install Peloton!

Am I missing anything?????
Sounds like that's it but may I suggest you look at the qdomyos-zwift app. Instead of running the echelon app on the phone, run this qdomyos-zwift instead. It will get all your bike data and pass it to the peleton app and it will also adjust the resistance of your ex5s automatically from the peleton app. It's like having a peleton bike for half the price. qdomyos-zwift wlil also sync to strava if you want to.

Reactions: Leanne922

iammarcus24

Jul 28, 2010
Sounds like that's it but may I suggest you look at the qdomyos-zwift app. Instead of running the echelon app on the phone, run this qdomyos-zwift instead. It will get all your bike data and pass it to the peleton app and it will also adjust the resistance of your ex5s automatically from the peleton app. It's like having a peleton bike for half the price. qdomyos-zwift wlil also sync to strava if you want to.
Oh shiiii! Great! Thanks!!!

wildtigg3r

Jan 21, 2008
Hi all. Newbie here. Thanks for all the great info. I have a 4s and was able to install Nova on the tablet.

I am having issue getting the EAS to work after install. I see the dial/wheel on the right side but I can’t figure out how to set it up properly to show recent apps, etc.

Any instructions anyone can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

hovee

Nov 20, 2017
Thanks for all the tips and guides! I recently picked up the EX-4s from Costco. I installed Nova and Peloton on the tablet. The quality of the Peloton class on the tablet feels a big jerky like it's skipping some frames. Has anyone else experienced this as well on the these tablets? I know Peloton's video quality is pretty good as it looks great on my Apple TV and my iPad. Just curious of other people's experiences.

5f84y4n0n

Apr 8, 2021
What APK for ad-free YouTube clone? Also does swiping work with your version?
I actually installed my apps with an alternative method than the rest of y'all.

Launch the web browser through the Shop option in the settings menu. Select any text and use the search button in the context menu to get to Google. Search for F-Droid and install the Discreet launcher. Highlight text again and click Share from the context menu, select Bluetooth and the use the search bar at the top of the screen to change the launcher to Discreet. Go back to F-Droid and install Aurora App Store clone to get access to Playstore apps.

Install Newpipe from F-Droid for an adfree YouTube clone. The automatic queue has been perfect for working out.

Something I noticed was that my device has Root access by default.

XDA's Navigation gestures, the EAP, and Rotation Control (for forcing landscape) have all been super clutch for ease of use.

ewing8712

Sep 7, 2010
Hi everyone I was messing around with the software on the Ex5s screen I accidentally locked the screen to google. I can I get back to the menu? Thanks in advance.

5f84y4n0n

Apr 8, 2021
Hi everyone I was messing around with the software on the Ex5s screen I accidentally locked the screen to google. I can I get back to the menu? Thanks in advance.
Are you trying to go back to the Echelon app? Long press any text and click "Share" then "Bluetooth". A Search bar should appear at the top of the screen. Search "Echelon". Set it as your home launcher and then restart the device.

Tolax

Mar 3, 2011
So on the 4S - do you have to connect with the keyboard?

I was able to enable developer mode by tapping on the bottom right - the developer menu though did not seem to have an option to enable install from unknown sources?

I was also unsure on how to view/launch downloads once the apk has been downloaded.

Any pointers welcome.

Thanks

Tolax

focgreen

Dec 9, 2010
I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed. I purchased an Echelon ex5s bike.
I was able to install apps but my tablet kept freezing and rebooting. I did a hard reset on the tablet and installed Lawnchair (left EAS off this time) installed Titanium Backup Pro. "Uninstalled" the 3 launcher apps including Echelon Fit and the updater apps. This freezes them at boot.

Installed amazon appstore. Qdomyos-zwift is in their app store for purchase. Despite everything I tried, I couldn't get it to login to my Peloton account. Must be a bug. I already purchased it from Play store so I used MyBackup Pro to backup Qdomyos-zwift from my phone and transferred it from the app to my Echelon tablet. Viola! It worked and I can login to Peloton. Now I can run Peloton side by side with Qdomyos-zwift.

It works pretty well. Very happy.

Screenshot_20210725-211256.png

Screenshot_20210725-211607.png

JaiKnight

Aug 4, 2021
I wanted to thank everyone who has contributed. I purchased an Echelon ex5s bike.
I was able to install apps but my tablet kept freezing and rebooting. I did a hard reset on the tablet and installed Lawnchair (left EAS off this time) installed Titanium Backup Pro. "Uninstalled" the 3 launcher apps including Echelon Fit and the updater apps. This freezes them at boot.

Installed amazon appstore. Qdomyos-zwift is in their app store for purchase. Despite everything I tried, I couldn't get it to login to my Peloton account. Must be a bug. I already purchased it from Play store so I used MyBackup Pro to backup Qdomyos-zwift from my phone and transferred it from the app to my Echelon tablet. Viola! It worked and I can login to Peloton. Now I can run Peloton side by side with Qdomyos-zwift.

It works pretty well. Very happy.

View attachment 5370733
View attachment 5370731
I'm trying to get this same splitscreen setup, and I'm wondering if you might be able to help me out with your experience. I installed Nova/EAS at first from earlier recommendations, and was able to get Peloton, Netflix, qdomyos-zwift (Amazon appstore) installed. I wasn't able to figure out how to enable split-screen though. When I saw your post, I installed Lawnchair as well to see if that might enable something, but I haven't figured out if there are certain gestures or options I need to use. Do you know how I can splitscreen two apps? Is it a feature of Lawnchair specifically, or would Nova/EAS be interfering with something?

I haven't tried Titanium Backup Pro for anything yet, but I also don't seem to have the freezing/rebooting issue you mentioned...yet...

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

focgreen

Dec 9, 2010
I'm trying to get this same splitscreen setup, and I'm wondering if you might be able to help me out with your experience. I installed Nova/EAS at first from earlier recommendations, and was able to get Peloton, Netflix, qdomyos-zwift (Amazon appstore) installed. I wasn't able to figure out how to enable split-screen though. When I saw your post, I installed Lawnchair as well to see if that might enable something, but I haven't figured out if there are certain gestures or options I need to use. Do you know how I can splitscreen two apps? Is it a feature of Lawnchair specifically, or would Nova/EAS be interfering with something?

I haven't tried Titanium Backup Pro for anything yet, but I also don't seem to have the freezing/rebooting issue you mentioned...yet...

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!
I was using EAS and nova but I was having issues. Try starting from scratch with Lawnchair.

JaiKnight

Aug 4, 2021
I was using EAS and nova but I was having issues. Try starting from scratch with Lawnchair.
Ok, I'll see if I can get it into original state. What are the gestures you use to split-screen apps? Swiping up, down, left, right don't seem to do much, as if they're disabled. The Back, Home, Recent buttons also don't appear for me (might change if I start over), are they consistently available for you? Thanks!

Last edited:

focgreen

Dec 9, 2010
Ok, I'll see if I can get it into original state. What are the gestures you use to split-screen apps? Swiping up, down, left, right don't seem to do much, as if they're disabled. The Back, Home, Recent buttons also don't appear for me (might change if I start over), are they consistently available for you? Thanks!
I have full access to my buttons. Hold down power up and vol - at boot together to android backup. Might be vol +, I forget. Once lawnchair is installed, hold down the switch app button to get split screen. Same thing to go back to regular screen. Peloton app isn't setup for split screen but you can force it in developer mode.

JaiKnight

Aug 4, 2021
I have full access to my buttons. Hold down power up and vol - at boot together to android backup. Might be vol +, I forget. Once lawnchair is installed, hold down the switch app button to get split screen. Same thing to go back to regular screen. Peloton app isn't setup for split screen but you can force it in developer mode.
Forgot to ask, do you recall which version of Lawnchair you installed? Was it one from apkmirror?

JaiKnight

Aug 4, 2021
I probably used APToide
Thanks! I reset the device and installed Lawnchair 2 from APToide and the split-screen works after enabling the option to Force resizable windows. I'm now trying to get qdomyos-zwift to work with a Peloton login. How do you know if it works or not? What do you see in either app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently purchased a new in box EX-5S.
    Assembled bike - powered on - entered code 1085 in the menu and got to the about tablet screen screen. Bike runs 9.02 android.

When I turned on the bike it asked me to update , I declined… should I allow the update or does it block access to these menus?

Next, I want to install Qdomyos Zwift and Peloton to operate in split screen on the tablet. I would also like to try to get zwift working on tablet(or at least zwift companion). Can someone kindly right up a concise step by step on how to do this with the cleanest method currently available? I would like to keep echelon. I did read the thread but there is conflicting information about using Nova, lawnchair 2, etc. Need some guidance.

Thanks everyone for all your time and help.
    Setting up your Access.
    1. Go to About Tablet and click on the build number 5 times to enable your Dev options. In this menu, you'll need to allow installs from unknown sources, USB debugging, etc.

2. Next we'll want to replace the Home app that is currently in your Default app setup. This is what launches the Echelon app at startup.

3. Go to About Tablet > Android Version . Click on "Android Security Patch Level". This should launch a browser window.

4. Download Lawnchair 2 from Aptoide (Ensure all 3 buttons on the bottom work)

Because QDomydos wouldn't work from amazon store, we had to do this workaround:
    5. Download MyBackupPro from Amazon store (I had to purchase mybackuppro from amazon store and google play)

6. On an android device (If you only have IOS, you can utilize an emulator like Bluestack to do this), download Qdomydos and mybackuppro and backup Qdomydos to it.

7. Restore the backup app on the tablet. You should have Qdomydos now.

8. Download pelaton (I think I think this from aptoide)

9. Activate force activities to be re-sizable option: I believe you go to settings -> systems -> developer options -> scroll all the way to the bottom to click to activate

10. Now you should be able to hold the square button to have both Qdomydos and Pelaton to be in split screen
    So my desire is to run Zwift App on the main screen of the EX5s. Want to link to Strava to record data. Do I need to also run the Qdomyos to have the ability to do this? Run it on my phone? If someone can walk me thru the steps to accomplish it would be greatly appreciated. Zwift companion needed?
    Where is the Zwift app available to download?
    I was able to download the zswift app from Amazon appstore after downloading and installing that and logging in with my Amazon account. Costs a few dollars but well worth it.
    Part of the problem is the stock Echelon app disables the android buttons/actions. I even tried installing various menu button apps, which did overlay on the Echelon app, but they were all non-functioning.

Right now I'm trying out the Peloton app (via the tablet) and just using the Echelon (on my phone) for resistance/cadence. I plan to try the other app you mentioned.
    By the way, the qdomyos-zwift app also gives you a resistance setting converted for Peloton. Attached is a pic of someone's setup on their FB site...
    137063381_10224204148231955_8483058874946523677_n.jpg
    I just received my EX5S and with all your help I was able to get into the admin area and install all the apps I wanted. I can now use the iFit app with this bike and thanks to the awesome qdomyos-zwift app I can keep track of my workouts from my phone. Unlike some of you here I was also able to install YouTube with no issue. As far as switching between apps, I installed "EAS: Easy App Switcher" which allows you to swipe in from the right to bring up a wheel menu with your recent apps and a double swipe brings a menu with all your apps. From there you can switch to other apps. I've also installed "Navigation Gestures - Swipe Gesture Controls!" which does similar things, I'll play with both and probably just keep 1 of them. It looks like you can install "service" apps which run as services and therefore won't be killed by other apps. BTW, this tablet came installed with Android 9.
    2021-01-30_10-49-22.png
    I just bought an Echelon spin bike and it came with a Glory Star Nebula 21.5" (glorystartouch.com/product/Kiosk-Tablet/NEB-215) The specs are on that page. It runs android 7.1.2 and uses a kiosk lock ap called STAROS

I am able to get to the main program and sideload most anything.

Tap at the bottom right corner 5 times, password is either "0000" or "1085"

I've installed Nova Launcher which helps, but most apps I have installed need a newer version. I have not been able to get play store working yet as the google services is touchy.

I'm looking for a basic android experience. The native app works on all android devices so i can just install and run it when cycling and wanting to use their app.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Also, they have disabled the power button so I have to use a small ubs keyboard when i boot into the android recovery mode.

Kiosk%20tablets%20NEB%20new%202019.webp

I had to remove all links. :(
    You are welcome! And congrats for joining the community.

Just tried to install YouTube, no avail. YouTube requires google play store service and that requires the device to have a GSF ID. As one of the previous message in this thread, this tablet does not have that ID. I installed the “Device ID” app to confirm this. Further tweaking might be risky (possibly voiding the warranty).

Anyhow, if it’s just YouTube you want, you can just open browser and watch it there.

I also got inspired from a previous post in this thread to install the nova launcher, and choose that as my Home app, instead of starOS. So now I get more complete Android experience. There are third party apps which can takes care of updating apps, like Yalp.

(I’m an Android newbie, this is the first Android device I used primarily for something. I have several cheap Android phones with pay-as-you-go SIM cards left in cars as emergency backups.)

BTW, having access to the Android system settings had helped me setting up two Bluetooth speakers with this tablet. One is Amazon Echo Dot, the other is Bose mini 2. Both of them was not recognized inside the EchelonFit app, but once I got the paired via the Android OS settings, they were connected fine and recognized by EchelonFit. Echelon’s official FAQ suggests users to by a separate Bluetooth receiver if they couldn’t pair their speaker in this case. That’s just ridiculous. My impression so far with the company is they need to pay more attention to details, such as the user manual, app experience, website user portal etc. All needs improvement. The EX-5s does seem to be a quick product targeting peloton. Hope they will improve the software side of things over the years. So far I’m pleased with the hardware though.

Thanks again for checking to see if it would work out! That is so badass that you figured out how to do it!!! I should be getting my bike in the next couple of weeks and I will give it a try!

Have a good one
    So my desire is to run Zwift App on the main screen of the EX5s. Want to link to Strava to record data. Do I need to also run the Qdomyos to have the ability to do this? Run it on my phone? If someone can walk me thru the steps to accomplish it would be greatly appreciated. Zwift companion needed?
    Where is the Zwift app available to download?
    I was able to download the zswift app from Amazon appstore after downloading and installing that and logging in with my Amazon account. Costs a few dollars but well worth it.