Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

jhtex

Jan 13, 2021
Just go my EX4S (Costco) today and I stumbled on this site. Can anyone tell me how to cast directly from the panel? Also, my bike has a 10" panel and I have tapped ALL over it an cannot get into the admin screen.

I do come with some helpful info though. There is a great app that reads the bluetooth signal and then allows you to pass that info to Peloton, Zwift, etc. It's called "qdomyos-zwift" and I think it's a game changer...

jhtex

Jan 13, 2021
Does Echelon broadcast power/cadence via any standard protocol (ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart), or does it go directly to its own App via the wire? Any info about such SDK in the latter case? Would like to make Apps for it.
There is a great app that reads the bluetooth signal and then allows you to pass that info to Peloton, Zwift, etc. It's called "qdomyos-zwift"

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
There is a great app that reads the bluetooth signal and then allows you to pass that info to Peloton, Zwift, etc. It's called "qdomyos-zwift"
On the EX5 when I'm running the Peloton app and using the Echelon free ride mode on my phone, I have to disable the bluetooth /wifi scanning to get the bike to connect to my phone. By default, it prioritizes the connection to the tablet first.

I'm curious if this app has a fix for that.

jhtex

Jan 13, 2021
On the EX5 when I'm running the Peloton app and using the Echelon free ride mode on my phone, I have to disable the bluetooth /wifi scanning to get the bike to connect to my phone. By default, it prioritizes the connection to the tablet first.

I'm curious if this app has a fix for that.
Yes, it does. This app takes the signal from the bike and makes the info available to other apps. You typically need to use two devices to achieve the result although I saw a youtube of some guy who put his iphone in multitask mode and go it to work...

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
I've now access the admin screen and can only see settings. How do you run other apps and do installs?
See if this works for you.

Setting up your Access.

1. Go to About Tablet and click on the build number 5 times to enable your Dev options. In this menu, you'll need to allow installs from unknown sources, USB debugging, etc.

2. Next we'll want to replace the Home app that is currently in your Default app setup. This is what launches the Echelon app at startup.

3. Go to About Tablet > Android Version . Click on "Android Security Patch Level". This should launch a browser window.

4. In your browser search for either NOVA or Lawnchair on apkmirror, apkpure....whatever your preference is and download/install the apk. You can also download other apks (netflix, hulu, etc). Keep in mind that some APKs require PLAY services to run (HBOmax).

5. Once you have successfully installed, go to App Notifications > Default Apps > Home App and choose NOVA or Lawnchair. Once you click either icon, it will launch your new HOME screen. From here you can use the default browser (Mine is Lightning) or download Firefox to continue installing additional apps.

jhtex

Jan 13, 2021
See if this works for you.

Setting up your Access.
1. Go to About Tablet and click on the build number 5 times to enable your Dev options. In this menu, you'll need to allow installs from unknown sources, USB debugging, etc.

2. Next we'll want to replace the Home app that is currently in your Default app setup. This is what launches the Echelon app at startup.

3. Go to About Tablet > Android Version . Click on "Android Security Patch Level". This should launch a browser window.

4. In your browser search for either NOVA or Lawnchair on apkmirror, apkpure....whatever your preference is and download/install the apk. You can also download other apks (netflix, hulu, etc). Keep in mind that some APKs require PLAY services to run (HBOmax).

5. Once you have successfully installed, go to App Notifications > Default Apps > Home App and choose NOVA or Lawnchair. Once you click either icon, it will launch your new HOME screen. From here you can use the default browser (Mine is Lightning) or download Firefox to continue installing additional apps.
Thank you so much for the instructions. I definitely got down the road but now am a bit totally frustrated because of my lack of Android knowledge. When I enter the Echelon app, it still takes over the device and when I exit, I have to enter the admin mode which then takes me to the settings screen and then I have to stumble around and get to the Nova Home screen. I know that I'm missing something but just not figuring it out. One of my main goals is to cast the Echelon app to a big screen tv. I know that this can be done with my phone but I have a perfectly good 10" Android device mounted in front of me.

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Thank you so much for the instructions. I definitely got down the road but now am a bit totally frustrated because of my lack of Android knowledge. When I enter the Echelon app, it still takes over the device and when I exit, I have to enter the admin mode which then takes me to the settings screen and then I have to stumble around and get to the Nova Home screen. I know that I'm missing something but just not figuring it out. One of my main goals is to cast the Echelon app to a big screen tv. I know that this can be done with my phone but I have a perfectly good 10" Android device mounted in front of me.
Part of the problem is the stock Echelon app disables the android buttons/actions. I even tried installing various menu button apps, which did overlay on the Echelon app, but they were all non-functioning.

Right now I'm trying out the Peloton app (via the tablet) and just using the Echelon (on my phone) for resistance/cadence. I plan to try the other app you mentioned.

jhtex

Jan 13, 2021
Part of the problem is the stock Echelon app disables the android buttons/actions. I even tried installing various menu button apps, which did overlay on the Echelon app, but they were all non-functioning.

Right now I'm trying out the Peloton app (via the tablet) and just using the Echelon (on my phone) for resistance/cadence. I plan to try the other app you mentioned.
By the way, the qdomyos-zwift app also gives you a resistance setting converted for Peloton. Attached is a pic of someone's setup on their FB site...
137063381_10224204148231955_8483058874946523677_n.jpg

mopho14

May 4, 2008
Hi, I'm reading this threat with great interest. I just ordered an EX5S and would be very interested in using the big screen with other apps too.

So here are my questions:
1-When you run netflix or youtube or any other apps does it still display the speed/cadence/resistence... as overlay on top of whatever you're running?
2-Has anybody tried to install the iFit app that way? I find the iFit scenic rides much more "fun" then the echelon/peloton ones.
3.If iFit does not work on the echelon tablet, can the qdomyos app send data from the echelon bike to the iFit app?
4.I read the description of the qdomyos app and it does not mention anything about connecting to echelon bikes, this I miss anything?

And thanks for figuring out all these work-arounds.

PT

Cagnulein

Jun 21, 2007
Rome
www.robertoviola.org
Hi, I'm reading this threat with great interest. I just ordered an EX5S and would be very interested in using the big screen with other apps too.

1-When you run netflix or youtube or any other apps does it still display the speed/cadence/resistence... as overlay on top of whatever you're running?
2-Has anybody tried to install the iFit app that way? I find the iFit scenic rides much more "fun" then the echelon/peloton ones.
3.If iFit does not work on the echelon tablet, can the qdomyos app send data from the echelon bike to the iFit app?
4.I read the description of the qdomyos app and it does not mention anything about connecting to echelon bikes, this I miss anything?

And thanks for figuring out all these work-arounds.

PT
Yes qdomyos-zwift app is working with all the type of Echelon bikes ;)
And yes, it should work with ifit too as along as ifit can connect to a cadence sensor or a power sensor (these sensors are virtually emulated by qdomyos-zwift app)

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021

You'll have to run Youtube via a browser (firefox or something else) since the tablet does not have the Google Play Framework installed. I haven't attempted to flash it with GAPPS yet.

I haven't tried installing qdomyos-zwift on the tablet . Seems the only way to get it is via the App/Play stores, unless Cagnulein can help me with purchasing a license for my tablet (outside of the Play store). I currently have it running on my Galaxy S20, while I either use the Peloton app or watch netflix on the tablet screen.

I bought this to mount my phone to the bike, just under the monitor.

I didn't think qdomyos-zwift had an overlay option, unless I missed something.

mopho14

May 4, 2008
So if I understand you correctly, you can run netflix/youtube/etc on the echelon tablet and you'll need another device (like a phone) running qdomyos-zwift in order to see cadence/speed/etc from the bike's sensors?

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
So if I understand you correctly, you can run netflix/youtube/etc on the echelon tablet and you'll need another device (like a phone) running qdomyos-zwift in order to see cadence/speed/etc from the bike's sensors?

That's correct.

My phone goes in that little holder (amazon link posted above) and has qdomyos-zwift installed.

The goal would be to get qdomyos-zwift installed on the tablet so it could overlay the Peloton app.

BIKE_SETUP.jpg

mopho14

May 4, 2008
Thanks DVDVampire01 for the info and the photo. I like your setting, looks cool. If you're using the Zwift app through qdomyos-zwift , can it control the resistance of the bike or you have to adjust it manually?

The overlay feature would be awesome.

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Thanks DVDVampire01 for the info and the photo. I like your setting, looks cool. If you're using the Zwift app through qdomyos-zwift , can it control the resistance of the bike or you have to adjust it manually?

The overlay feature would be awesome.
I adjust the resistance on the bike which then syncs up with the App to match the Peloton resistance from the instructor.