Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

Search This thread

adalbertoma

Mar 5, 2011
that is actually a fair point. I do not mind keeping the echelon app actually. question for you, which command are you talking about?
su <ENTER>
settings put global policy_control null* <ENTER>
settings --user 0 put secure user_setup_complete 1 <ENTER>
(copied from post #355)

If you uninstall both echelon updater and the app, then install echelon app from whatever source you like, you get to keep echelon and not worry about it talking over or updating.

You can even pets the home key to get out of the app and not have to resort to those commands.
Perhaps the system echelon app is blocking your wallpaper, i also use nova and I have set custom wallpaper.
I had uninstalled the echelon updater; just not the app. Just uninstalled the app now and still can't change the wallpaper. Strange thing now is that none of the echelon fit apps I am finding are compatible with the bike tablet, so I can't reinstall. Do you know a source for a working version?

Last edited:

ramtheram

May 19, 2022
su <ENTER>
(copied from post #355)

I had uninstalled the echelon updater; just not the app. Just uninstalled the app now and still can't change the wallpaper. Strange thing now is that none of the echelon fit apps I am finding are compatible with the bike tablet, so I can't reinstall. Do you know a source for a working version?
I have another question for you.
What model do you have? 4s or 5s?
I have not been able to uninstall the updater as it still has admin right that I could not remove.
I would like to know how you did it
Thanks

adalbertoma

Mar 5, 2011
I have another question for you.
What model do you have? 4s or 5s?
I have not been able to uninstall the updater as it still has admin right that I could not remove.
I would like to know how you did it
Thanks
Mine is an EX-4S. I followed these steps via ADB shell:

dpm remove-active-admin --user current com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater/.DevAdminReceiver <ENTER>
(copied from post #355)

Then, since the uninstall option wasn't available after the Echelon update, I used this command from post #405:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater

And I've just used the second command from post #405 to remove the echelon app:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.viatek.fitnation.echelon_android

However now I can't find a version that works for the tablet. Need help!

Wallpaper update also not working...

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
su <ENTER>
(copied from post #355)

I don't recall where I installed it from as it's been a while, but it was either through Aurora App Store or I installed it on my phone and then used the apk extractor to extract and transfer to the tablet.
I have version 215(2.2.0.2) installed
And as you can see, the navigation bar is still visible.
1653753121675.png

And here's a screenshot with custom wallpaper.
1653753190119.png

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
ok thank you
I did what you said and tried to unpack with apktool and it seems I can not even uppack it.
here is the snapshot
View attachment 5624949
Th error indicates that the zip file is empty, probably the apk extraction as not good.
Can you open it with 7zip ? or if you don't have 7zip just rename it to .zip and you should be able to open it with any zip tool, assuming that the file is good, which probably is not.

ramtheram

May 19, 2022
Th error indicates that the zip file is empty, probably the apk extraction as not good.
Can you open it with 7zip ? or if you don't have 7zip just rename it to .zip and you should be able to open it with any zip tool, assuming that the file is good, which probably is not.
I tried 7zip and got an error. So I think as you said the all is not good. Did I miss anything in extracting it?

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
I tried 7zip and got an error. So I think as you said the all is not good. Did I miss anything in extracting it?
Try using a different extraction tool,
Titanium Backup usually works very well.

Alternately you can get it with adb
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /system/app
ls -l
# or
cd /system/priv-app
ls -l
see if it is there, I cannot check because I have it uninstalled
if you see it, cd to the directory and your would find the apk there
then you can copy it to your Downloads directory
Code:
cp whatever.apk /sdcard/Download/

And then transfer it to your PC.
adb pull /sdcard/Download/whatever.apk .

.amb

Feb 6, 2022
Yes. i did play around with it and changed a few settings. Try turning on "zwift workout/erg mode" as well as "cycling cadence sensor (peleton compatibility)". I think that was it. give it a try and see if it works. Just to be clear i got Qz and Zwift companion running on the Echelon tablet, split screen, and on my ipad i have the actual Zwift app running. Zwift won't run directly from the Echelon tablet
Thanks for the tips and yes on running qz and Zwift companion on your tablet. I run Zwift on my MacBook Air.

Still no luck after trying different settings in qz. Qz still reads my bike right away, and Zwift sees that something is coming from the tablet, but no readings come through to Zwift or I get a "no signal" error in Zwift pairing.

any other suggestions?

.amb

Feb 6, 2022
Mine is an EX-4S. I followed these steps via ADB shell:

dpm remove-active-admin --user current com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater/.DevAdminReceiver <ENTER>
(copied from post #355)

Then, since the uninstall option wasn't available after the Echelon update, I used this command from post #405:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater

And I've just used the second command from post #405 to remove the echelon app:

pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.viatek.fitnation.echelon_android

However now I can't find a version that works for the tablet. Need help!

Wallpaper update also not working...
Using the step by step in #355, I deleted both echelon.fit and echelon.updater. And then loaded the echelon.fit app from Aptoid. It's the same version as @badabing2003 (v2.2.0.2). I also loaded Peloton and iFit from there, too.

Echelon works great, and I have the same 1-yr free membership with my costco ex-4s+, so like you I'll continue to use echelon until that expires. But I wanted to do these mods now in case echelon does something later that would prevent it.

I am continuing to run into issues getting qz (running on the tablet) to work with Zwift (running on my Mac). From reading lots of comments here, it sounds like I'm not the only one. @Cagnulein believes these tablets just don't have a bluetooth chipset with the capacity to serve as the bridge. Or more accurately, some do and some don't. That would be a shame; my bike is working great in all other ways. I haven't given up yet, but almost. If others are continuing to try to get qz on the tablet to bridge to Zwift, thanks for sharing suggestions.

(The only other really little detail for me is that Quickstep continues to present itself as an optional launcher whenever I restart the tablet; I'm offered the choice between quickstep and lawnchair. Quickstep is the default launcher on my tablet and I can't delete it. I've deleted lawnchair and reinstalled it, set lawnchair to home/default every way imaginable, but nothing changes. My solution is to just deleted lawnchair and use quickstep as the launcher. Then on restart, the tablet goes straight into quickstep's homepage. I'm fine with this--I only use this tablet for my bike so the quickstep UI is just fine. Better than the hassle of the few additional extra steps to select lawnchair as the launcher.)

But the one Zwift/qz limitation aside, and particularly if the tablet works with peloton and qz controlling my resistance (I haven't tried this yet; I don't want to pay for a membership until I'm ready to use it), that would be great and I'll go back to using my iPhone to run qz, which bridges to zwift just fine. All in all, I still have a smart bike trainer with an open tablet for $800 (I got the Costco $799 deal on the ex-4s+ bike for the few weeks it was running).

Last edited:

adalbertoma

Mar 5, 2011
Using the step by step in #355, I deleted both echelon.fit and echelon.updater. And then loaded the echelon app from Aptoid. It's the same version as @badabing2003 (v2.2.0.2). I also loaded Peloton and iFit from there, too.

Echelon works great, and I have the same 1-yr free membership with my costco ex-4s+, so like you I'll continue to use echelon until that expires. But I wanted to do these mods now in case echelon does something later that would prevent it.

I am continuing to run into issues getting qz (running on the tablet) to work with Zwift (running on my Mac). From reading lots of comments here, it sounds like I'm not the only one. @Cagnulein believes these tablets just don't have a bluetooth chipset with the capacity to serve as the bridge. Or more accurately, some do and some don't. That would be a shame; my bike is working great in all other ways. I haven't given up yet, but almost. If others are continuing to try to get qz on the tablet to bridge to Zwift, thanks for sharing suggestions.

But this one limitation aside, and particularly if the tablet works with peloton, w/qz controlling my resistance (I haven't tried this yet; I don't want to pay for a membership until I'm ready to use it), that would be great and I'll go back to using my iPhone to run qz, which bridges to zwift just fine. All in all, I still have a smart bike trainer with an open tablet for $800 (I got the Costco $799 deal on the bike for the few weeks it was running).
I believe i found what is the issue with both my wallpaper and the echelon app. Although the above commands ran fine and I could disable both apps, the command to remove the admin control keeps failing to me. It had previously worked after the Echelon app update I had done, but I decided to factory reset to see if I’d be able to fix the wallpaper issue by completely removing the apps before the update.

It seems this is avoiding me to change the wallpaper and also from completely uninstalling the apps (I didn’t get the option to uninstall at the system settings and was only able to do it via adb.

Using Aurora App store, I got a detailed message of the error when trying to reinstall Echelon Fit: INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE: Package com.viatek.fitnation.echelon_android signatures do not match previously installed version; ignoring!

Any clues?

.amb

Feb 6, 2022
I believe i found what is the issue with both my wallpaper and the echelon app. Although the above commands ran fine and I could disable both apps, the command to remove the admin control keeps failing to me.

It seems this is avoiding me to change the wallpaper and also from completely uninstalling the apps (I didn’t get the option to uninstall at the system settings and was only able to do it via adb.

Using Aurora App store, I got a detailed message of the error when trying to reinstall Echelon Fit: INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE: Package com.viatek.fitnation.echelon_android signatures do not match previously installed version; ignoring!

Any clues?
The only thing I can suggest is to try running the commands again. I had to run the ones in step #41 twice. I have no idea why... I checked and double-checked my spelling and punctuation carefully each time. And they said "success" after the first time! But regardless, those commands worked just as intended after the second time.

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
I believe i found what is the issue with both my wallpaper and the echelon app. Although the above commands ran fine and I could disable both apps, the command to remove the admin control keeps failing to me. It had previously worked after the Echelon app update I had done, but I decided to factory reset to see if I’d be able to fix the wallpaper issue by completely removing the apps before the update.

Any clues?
It means that it is still finding an installed version and the signatures don't match.

adalbertoma

Mar 5, 2011
The only thing I can suggest is to try running the commands again. I had to run the ones in step #41 twice. I have no idea why... I checked and double-checked my spelling and punctuation carefully each time. And they said "success" after the first time! But regardless, those commands worked just as intended after the second time.
The only time I got the success message on the admin remove command was when I ran it after updating the echelon app. I am thinking of doing another factory reset and retrying.

It means that it is still finding an installed version and the signatures don't match.
The app has been removed for sure. I tried running the uninstall comands again on remote adb and it didn’t find the apps to remove. I am guessing this is probably some config files that the app probably left somewhere in the system folders.

ramtheram

May 19, 2022
If that flag is not set, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Post your manifest, we'll see what you have, perhaps the Android Intent is different in your case.
ok so I got the manifest. there is only one line for textonly and it is set to true:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest
versionCode='3'
versionName='1.0.3'
compileSdkVersion='29'
compileSdkVersionCodename='10'
package='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater'
platformBuildVersionCode='29'
platformBuildVersionName='10'>
<uses-sdk
minSdkVersion='24'
targetSdkVersion='29'>
</uses-sdk>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_STATE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.INTERNET'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.CHANGE_NETWORK_STATE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.INSTALL_PACKAGES'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.DELETE_PACKAGES'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.RECOVERY'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.SET_TIME_ZONE'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.REBOOT'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.ACCESS_CACHE_FILESYSTEM'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.DELETE_CACHE_FILES'>
</uses-permission>
<uses-permission
name='android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED'>
</uses-permission>
<application
theme='@Res/0x7F0E0005'
label='@Res/0x7F0D001B'
icon='@Res/0x7F0C0000'
exported='true'
testOnly='true'
allowBackup='true'
supportsRtl='true'
extractNativeLibs='false'
usesCleartextTraffic='true'
roundIcon='@Res/0x7F0C0001'
appComponentFactory='androidx.core.app.CoreComponentFactory'>
<provider
name='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.GenericFileProvider'
exported='false'
authorities='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.GenericFileProvider'
grantUriPermissions='true'>
<meta-data
name='android.support.FILE_PROVIDER_PATHS'
resource='@Res/0x7F100001'>
</meta-data>
</provider>
<receiver
label='@Res/0x7F0D001B'
name='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.DevAdminReceiver'
permission='android.permission.BIND_DEVICE_ADMIN'>
<intent-filter>
<action
name='android.app.action.DEVICE_ADMIN_ENABLED'>
</action>
<action
name='android.app.action.PROFILE_PROVISIONING_COMPLETE'>
</action>
<action
name='android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED'>
</action>
</intent-filter>
<meta-data
name='android.app.device_admin'
resource='@Res/0x7F100000'>
</meta-data>
</receiver>
<activity
name='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.MainActivity'
exported='true'>
<intent-filter>
<action
name='android.intent.action.MAIN'>
</action>
<category
name='android.intent.category.LAUNCHER'>
</category>
<category
name='android.intent.category.DEFAULT'>
</category>
<category
name='android.intent.category.HOME'>
</category>
</intent-filter>
</activity>
<provider
name='com.crashlytics.android.CrashlyticsInitProvider'
exported='false'
authorities='com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.crashlyticsinitprovider'
initOrder='90'>
</provider>
</application>
</manifest>

adalbertoma

Mar 5, 2011
I did another factory reset. This time the command to remove the admin worked fine and so did the uninstall command for the updater, however I still can’t switch the wallpaper and because of that I didn’t uninstall the Echelon app as I know I won’t be able to install another version. I’ll just keep it and run the commands to re-enable the bar/dock after using it. The wallpaper not being centered is really annoying though. I’ll still research an alternative solution for that.

ramtheram

May 19, 2022
The manifest looks good.
Try this
Unplug the bike
Power it back on, and kill the updater process the very first thing, and then try to uninstall.
so here is another update:
I did that and I got a success note on the remove admin. but still did not see the uninstall option. so I did it again and second try said the whole Attempting to remove non-test user
this bastard is still there and for some reason I have to redo the whole process I believe
I am about to give up.
the best way to be honest is to find a way to flash this damn tablet with a basic android rom so we can freely use it as we please without these issues.
I am wondering where we could get that rom and how to flash it properly into a simple android tablet

.amb

Feb 6, 2022
Yes. i did play around with it and changed a few settings. Try turning on "zwift workout/erg mode" as well as "cycling cadence sensor (peleton compatibility)". I think that was it. give it a try and see if it works. Just to be clear i got Qz and Zwift companion running on the Echelon tablet, split screen, and on my ipad i have the actual Zwift app running. Zwift won't run directly from the Echelon tablet.
another question for you: I tried installing Zwift companion this morning and I can't rotate it to landscape. How did you do that?

badabing2003

Sep 17, 2012
so here is another update:
I did that and I got a success note on the remove admin. but still did not see the uninstall option. so I did it again and second try said the whole Attempting to remove non-test user
this bastard is still there and for some reason I have to redo the whole process I believe
I am about to give up.
the best way to be honest is to find a way to flash this damn tablet with a basic android rom so we can freely use it as we please without these issues.
I am wondering where we could get that rom and how to flash it properly into a simple android tablet
You can try to uninstall with titanium, I think that is how I uninstalled it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently purchased a new in box EX-5S.
    Assembled bike - powered on - entered code 1085 in the menu and got to the about tablet screen screen. Bike runs 9.02 android.

When I turned on the bike it asked me to update , I declined… should I allow the update or does it block access to these menus?

Next, I want to install Qdomyos Zwift and Peloton to operate in split screen on the tablet. I would also like to try to get zwift working on tablet(or at least zwift companion). Can someone kindly right up a concise step by step on how to do this with the cleanest method currently available? I would like to keep echelon. I did read the thread but there is conflicting information about using Nova, lawnchair 2, etc. Need some guidance.

Thanks everyone for all your time and help.
    Setting up your Access.
    1. Go to About Tablet and click on the build number 5 times to enable your Dev options. In this menu, you'll need to allow installs from unknown sources, USB debugging, etc.

2. Next we'll want to replace the Home app that is currently in your Default app setup. This is what launches the Echelon app at startup.

3. Go to About Tablet > Android Version . Click on "Android Security Patch Level". This should launch a browser window.

4. Download Lawnchair 2 from Aptoide (Ensure all 3 buttons on the bottom work)

Because QDomydos wouldn't work from amazon store, we had to do this workaround:
    5. Download MyBackupPro from Amazon store (I had to purchase mybackuppro from amazon store and google play)

6. On an android device (If you only have IOS, you can utilize an emulator like Bluestack to do this), download Qdomydos and mybackuppro and backup Qdomydos to it.

7. Restore the backup app on the tablet. You should have Qdomydos now.

8. Download pelaton (I think I think this from aptoide)

9. Activate force activities to be re-sizable option: I believe you go to settings -> systems -> developer options -> scroll all the way to the bottom to click to activate

10. Now you should be able to hold the square button to have both Qdomydos and Pelaton to be in split screen
    Ptinga -- thank you for sharing this workaround solution to get Netflix onto the Echelon monitor. I was able to get past your step #1, but I'm stuck at "Startos". I'm a Mac person and I don't see Startos on the menu of listed items in order to proceed to step #2. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

There appears to be 2 different versions of the OS - StarOS (relabeled Android OS, which is in the older models) and a more standard Android OS (in the newer model). Check out post #27 by DVDVampire01 to see if it applies to you:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-5-tablet-to-basic-android-rom.4023915/page-2

After you've finished setting up according to the directions from DVDVampire01, you'll definitely want to install EAS (easy application switcher - in the lightning browser, you can google "apkmirror eas" and install that apk). As part of the EAS setup, make sure to give permissions for the application overlay (and probably other permissions EAS askes for)

With NOVA and EAS in place, it's very easy to switch in/out of the Echelon app (and other android apps that you install) by flicking the app drawer from the right side.

Last tip. Usually when you download the apk from the Lightning browser, you would get a ding sound + notification that the download completed. Oddly enough, my notification dropdown disappeared just yesterday (??), making it difficult find the downloads/install the apks. As a workaround, you can use the Search bar within the NOVA desktop, and search for the "Files" app. (it's basically a file browser). Use that to navigate to the Downloads folder, and then you can install the apk from that folder.

Hope this helps!
    Part of the problem is the stock Echelon app disables the android buttons/actions. I even tried installing various menu button apps, which did overlay on the Echelon app, but they were all non-functioning.

Right now I'm trying out the Peloton app (via the tablet) and just using the Echelon (on my phone) for resistance/cadence. I plan to try the other app you mentioned.
    By the way, the qdomyos-zwift app also gives you a resistance setting converted for Peloton. Attached is a pic of someone's setup on their FB site...
    137063381_10224204148231955_8483058874946523677_n.jpg
    I'm no help with the code not working, try factory reset and if that doesnt work than start trying different combinations :(

I gave up on getting qdomyos for a moment thinking i want to hack this this as much as possible to get stock android experience. So on a development front, I figured that if we can remove the admin control over the tablet we'd have more flexibility to do things? Echelon 21 Updater has admin and i believe is limiting functionality/management over the tablet. You can't change that/uninstall it. So I figured that out, hopefully this gets us further ahead (this was on the ex4s+ with android v9)....
    1) On the tablet download and install "Wifi ADB" - https://m.apkpure.com/wifi-adb-debug-over-air/com.ttxapps.wifiadb
    2) Connect adb via your favorite method (PC or phone) to the tablet
    3) Type in the command "adb shell"
    4) Then type in "dpm remove-active-admin --user current com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater/.DevAdminReceiver"
    You should get
    Success: Admin removed ComponentInfo{com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater/com.echelonfit.echelon_21_updater.DevAdminReceiver}

Now you can uninstall Echlon 21 Updater (I used titanium backup to disable/uninstall it instead of completely uninstalling it).
    This app no longer boots on reboot and no longer has control over the tablet!

My hope was/is we can start restoring some stock android things like getting the buttons to work and getting google on there but I'm not sure how/where to go from here.

Also found that we have arm v7a and zwift only runs on v8a so that's probably never going to work?
    I just received my EX5S and with all your help I was able to get into the admin area and install all the apps I wanted. I can now use the iFit app with this bike and thanks to the awesome qdomyos-zwift app I can keep track of my workouts from my phone. Unlike some of you here I was also able to install YouTube with no issue. As far as switching between apps, I installed "EAS: Easy App Switcher" which allows you to swipe in from the right to bring up a wheel menu with your recent apps and a double swipe brings a menu with all your apps. From there you can switch to other apps. I've also installed "Navigation Gestures - Swipe Gesture Controls!" which does similar things, I'll play with both and probably just keep 1 of them. It looks like you can install "service" apps which run as services and therefore won't be killed by other apps. BTW, this tablet came installed with Android 9.
    2021-01-30_10-49-22.png