Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

matthew23

Apr 15, 2007
Hi everyone - I’m a complete android newb. Could someone please do a step by step walkthrough on how to install the peloton app on my Ex-4S? I’m not sure I totally get it. Thanks so much!!

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Hi everyone - I’m a complete android newb. Could someone please do a step by step walkthrough on how to install the peloton app on my Ex-4S? I’m not sure I totally get it. Thanks so much!!
Accessing the Android Settings

1. While you are in the Echelon app, click the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen 5-10 times.
2. If done correctly, you should see a pop-menu asking for Code.
3. Enter 1085 or 0000
4. If the Code is accepted, you should be in the Android Settings screen.

Next... follow these steps in (post #27) to start setting up your access. This task involves changing the Default Home app to something like Nova/ Lawnchair .

Let me know if you run into any issues.

matthew23

Apr 15, 2007
Accessing the Android Settings

1. While you are in the Echelon app, click the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen 5-10 times.
2. If done correctly, you should see a pop-menu asking for Code.
3. Enter 1085 or 0000
4. If the Code is accepted, you should be in the Android Settings screen.

Next... follow these steps in (post #27) to start setting up your access. This task involves changing the Default Home app to something like Nova/ Lawnchair .

Let me know if you run into any issues.
Thanks! However, I cannot even access the pop up. I am tapping the bottom right hand corner and nothing happens....

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
Ok, I installed peloton and it works great! One issue though. When I am in Echelon, I cannot get back out to nova to switch between apps. Is there another setting or something I need to do?

tbanks!!
1. If you want to keep the Echelon app, repeat the steps to get back into the Android settings.

2. Then go to App Notifications > Default Apps > Home App and choose NOVA >Then click Nova again to get back into your Home screen.

It's kind of a pain, but the standard Home Icon seems to be disabled on this tablet. Still looking at options to re-enable it.

If you just want to use Peloton exclusively, I purchased/installed Titanium backup to freeze the Echelon app, Updater and the Home app that was originally installed.

I then purchased qdomyos-zwift and installed it on my phone so I can connect to the Echelon bike/adjust the resistance, etc.

matthew23

Apr 15, 2007
1. If you want to keep the Echelon app, repeat the steps to get back into the Android settings.

2. Then go to App Notifications > Default Apps > Home App and choose NOVA >Then click Nova again to get back into your Home screen.

It's kind of a pain, but the standard Home Icon seems to be disabled on this tablet. Still looking at options to re-enable it.

If you just want to use Peloton exclusively, I purchased/installed Titanium backup to freeze the Echelon app, Updater and the Home app that was originally installed.

I then purchased qdomyos-zwift and installed it on my phone so I can connect to the Echelon bike/adjust the resistance, etc.
Not familiar with Nova but could you set up a gesture or something to call it up bc the buttons are missing?

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
After entering the code, what do you see in the menu to know that it was accepted? I've tried 0000 and 1085 and don't think either worked? Is there a different code?

bike.jpg

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
I was able to get Netflix and Channels (live TV) installed which work fine. Latest Peloton app installed successfully but won't run :( Can I ask which version of Peloton app you successfully installed and DL if you have it? Same goes for Amazon Prime? I installed Lawnchair launcher which works. Echelon app on bike doesn't have an exit other than entering code so getting back to launcher is quirky.

Like most Android boxes, I'm guessing there is a reset button somewhere which might allow reset back to factory although its an unknown. I'm tempted to try and replace Echelon app with standard tablet version and install Google services, Play store etc. however without backup ROM seems a bit risky. Wonder if there is a way for us to get a "factory" ROM. My Tablet is running Android 9.

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
You have to register with the support forum to be able to view - tools to flash firmware can be found here although I was unable to find firmware.

Last edited:

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
I was able to get Netflix and Channels (live TV) installed which work fine. Latest Peloton app installed successfully but won't run :( Can I ask which version of Peloton app you successfully installed and DL if you have it? Same goes for Amazon Prime? I installed Lawnchair launcher which works. Echelon app on bike doesn't have an exit other than entering code so getting back to launcher is quirky.

Like most Android boxes, I'm guessing there is a reset button somewhere which might allow reset back to factory although its an unknown. I'm tempted to try and replace Echelon app with standard tablet version and install Google services, Play store etc. however without backup ROM seems a bit risky. Wonder if there is a way for us to get a "factory" ROM. My Tablet is running Android 9.
I'm using version 1.0.319206 from APKmirror ( installed the APK, not the package). I haven't tried Ver. 1.0.319494 yet.

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
I must have initially attempted to install wrong apk as I was able to install and run the latest version of Peloton app ( 1.0.319494 ) from apkmirror.

Has anyone tried to get Play Store working? I would think it just requires installing Google Services Framework, Google Account Manager, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store.

Even without the Play store I'm wondering if the regular Android version of the Echelon app could be installed and that would allow you to exit the app without all the extra steps to get back to the home screen. Not sure how this would impact the existing preinstalled Echelon app or if both apps could be installed simultaneously as then one could be disabled.

Last edited:

DVDVampire01

Jan 9, 2021
I must have initially attempted to install wrong apk as I was able to install and run the latest version of Peloton app from apkmirror.

Has anyone tried to get Play Store working? I would think it just requires installing Google Services Framework, Google Account Manager, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store.

Even without the play store I'm wondering if the Play store version of the Echelon app could be installed and that would allow you to exit the app without all the extra steps to get back to the home screen. Not sure how this would impact the existing Echelon app or if both apps could be installed simultaneously as then one could be disabled.
I tried freezing the stock app with Titanium and installing the Play store version from apkmirror, but it seems to think it's an update. I was looking at removing the stock app, but Titanium informed me that it's part of a package so it there's a chance I could potentially screw something up if I remove. As of now, I just have it frozen (i.e. disabled).

Reactions: mr3p

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
I tried freezing the stock app with Titanium and installing the Play store version from apkmirror, but it seems to think it's an update. I was looking at removing the stock app, but Titanium informed me that it's part of a package so it there's a chance I could potentially screw something up if I remove. As of now, I just have it frozen (i.e. disabled).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I sort of figured both couldn't be installed. My best guess is that installing the Play Store version would replace the pre-installed version but its an unknown. Installing Play Store looks like the next thing to consider.

stoneyal

Jan 27, 2021
hi all. I have received my bike today, managed to get into the setting at install the Netflix apk. runs ok but as this will only be very infrequently accessed, is there a way to launch this from the settings menu without installing nova etc?

can't see STAROS in the app menu, android is v9

thanks