Upgrading Glory Star Nebula 21.5" Tablet to basic Android Rom

Search This thread

Kirw00

Feb 17, 2021
Hey there
I found a link to this forum on a reddit thread and was excited to see people had been able to install all of these things on their tablets.
I have an EX5s and got a little ahead of myself- I definitely didn't read through the step-by-step instructions that someone posted along the way.
After I unlocked the tablet I was just messing around (a bad idea considering my lack of knowledge) and ended up setting my home screen to Google.
Unfortunately now I can't get back to the previous screen and it feels like the whole thing is unusable. To exit the browser it is asking me for an admin password. 1000 and 1085 aren't working.
Anyone have any advice to get my bike back to normal?
Thanks in advance!!

mr3p

Oct 14, 2013
Miami
Hey there
I found a link to this forum on a reddit thread and was excited to see people had been able to install all of these things on their tablets.
I have an EX5s and got a little ahead of myself- I definitely didn't read through the step-by-step instructions that someone posted along the way.
After I unlocked the tablet I was just messing around (a bad idea considering my lack of knowledge) and ended up setting my home screen to Google.
Unfortunately now I can't get back to the previous screen and it feels like the whole thing is unusable. To exit the browser it is asking me for an admin password. 1000 and 1085 aren't working.
Anyone have any advice to get my bike back to normal?
Thanks in advance!!

You need to tap the lower right corner, then enter 1085.

Kirw00

Feb 17, 2021
so what is the process for factory reset?
Hold the power and the + key on the back of the tablet simultaneously for a few seconds when it's powered down. A menu will come up and I used the - key to toggle to the reset option. Pretty simple, thankfully! Got it right back to the initial setup.

Reactions: nonsec

olympiaxda89

Feb 20, 2021
Hey all. Recently got an EX5s for the family. I tried following the outline in post #27, which works fine until I try using the Lightning browser. Bewilderingly the tablet won't let me enable WiFi. I try enabling it through the settings yet it just instantly turns itself off.
Any ideas for whats preventing this, or at the very least, any workarounds? Already tried resetting and a factory reset multiple times.

mopho14

May 4, 2008
Hey all. Recently got an EX5s for the family. I tried following the outline in post #27, which works fine until I try using the Lightning browser. Bewilderingly the tablet won't let me enable WiFi. I try enabling it through the settings yet it just instantly turns itself off.
Any ideas for whats preventing this, or at the very least, any workarounds? Already tried resetting and a factory reset multiple times.
weren't you able to setup your wifi from the initial echelon setup?

olympiaxda89

Feb 20, 2021
weren't you able to setup your wifi from the initial echelon setup?
Apparently no. Even after a factory reset and starting up in the Echelon app, it fails to search for any wifi networks. Adding a network manually doesn't seem to work either. Starting to think either I'm missing something or somethings wrong with the tablet.

goofusdoofus

Feb 15, 2021
Apparently no. Even after a factory reset and starting up in the Echelon app, it fails to search for any wifi networks. Adding a network manually doesn't seem to work either. Starting to think either I'm missing something or somethings wrong with the tablet.

Does your echelon app itself work? E.g. were you able to login and start up the videos? If so, that would suggest Wifi is up and was setup at the Android OS level..

If you aren't able to login and startup the videos, then you may want to contact Echelon to ask them to guide you through the standard wifi setup process (obviously no need to mention what was done in post #27). It could be as you suggested a bad tablet (and so you can ask them to address that as a warranty issue).

CMAX70

Feb 24, 2021
I have Peleton running and use the lightning browser to run youtube and netflix. I'd like to use the zwift app on my cell but the Galaxy S9 won't pair with the Echelon XE-5S. Any ideas?

nonsec

Feb 8, 2021
I did. Clicked 5 times on build number but nothing happened, except got a message "No need, you are already a developer" on the bottom of the screen.
then try to do step 3
. Go to About Tablet > Android Version . Click on "Android Security Patch Level". This should launch a browser window

Btyrytr

Feb 26, 2021
Got Netflix installed on Echelon-5xs

I got Netflix installed on the nebula tablet with echelon 5xs bike.

Process is really simple:
1. Tap lower right corner of the screen five times and then put 1085 as the password;
2. Unlock the startos, with either 0000 or 1085 as the password and admin as the username;
3. Plugin a keyboard to the USB port, use win+b to open browser;
4. Open google and search for Netflix apk, and download the Netflix apk and install it;
5. Back to Staros app, and change the Staros mode to multiple apps mode, and change its settings by adding Netflix to the list in addition to EchelonFit;
6. Click “Launch Now” in Staros app, and now you get to a screen where you can select which app you want to run.

Another tip, press win+n to access drop down menu and system settings etc.
Ptinga,

That is awesome, thanks for figuring this out! Do you think it is also impossible to install YouTube? Also, when you turn the bike on does it have the apps pop up first thing and u just select which one you want?

Thanks in advance for your time!

would this work on an Echelon Reflect touch screen too?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just tested it. Bottom left is for developer mode, top left Demo mode but what you need is bottom right to get to setting related to these posts. They must have different codes for each corner, but bottom right is 1085
    Yeah I easily accessed the dev mode and Demo mode (altho codes I tried were denied). Bottom right just wasn't working. I eventually got it tapping right on the border line with the bottom bar, maybe a hairs width into the grey space, right in the corner - maybe my finger tips are too callused lol - but I'm in now, thanks!!!
    Part of the problem is the stock Echelon app disables the android buttons/actions. I even tried installing various menu button apps, which did overlay on the Echelon app, but they were all non-functioning.

Right now I'm trying out the Peloton app (via the tablet) and just using the Echelon (on my phone) for resistance/cadence. I plan to try the other app you mentioned.
    By the way, the qdomyos-zwift app also gives you a resistance setting converted for Peloton. Attached is a pic of someone's setup on their FB site...
    137063381_10224204148231955_8483058874946523677_n.jpg
    I just received my EX5S and with all your help I was able to get into the admin area and install all the apps I wanted. I can now use the iFit app with this bike and thanks to the awesome qdomyos-zwift app I can keep track of my workouts from my phone. Unlike some of you here I was also able to install YouTube with no issue. As far as switching between apps, I installed "EAS: Easy App Switcher" which allows you to swipe in from the right to bring up a wheel menu with your recent apps and a double swipe brings a menu with all your apps. From there you can switch to other apps. I've also installed "Navigation Gestures - Swipe Gesture Controls!" which does similar things, I'll play with both and probably just keep 1 of them. It looks like you can install "service" apps which run as services and therefore won't be killed by other apps. BTW, this tablet came installed with Android 9.
    2021-01-30_10-49-22.png
    I just bought an Echelon spin bike and it came with a Glory Star Nebula 21.5" (glorystartouch.com/product/Kiosk-Tablet/NEB-215) The specs are on that page. It runs android 7.1.2 and uses a kiosk lock ap called STAROS

I am able to get to the main program and sideload most anything.

Tap at the bottom right corner 5 times, password is either "0000" or "1085"

I've installed Nova Launcher which helps, but most apps I have installed need a newer version. I have not been able to get play store working yet as the google services is touchy.

I'm looking for a basic android experience. The native app works on all android devices so i can just install and run it when cycling and wanting to use their app.

Any help or ideas would be good.

Also, they have disabled the power button so I have to use a small ubs keyboard when i boot into the android recovery mode.

Kiosk%20tablets%20NEB%20new%202019.webp

I had to remove all links. :(
    You are welcome! And congrats for joining the community.

Just tried to install YouTube, no avail. YouTube requires google play store service and that requires the device to have a GSF ID. As one of the previous message in this thread, this tablet does not have that ID. I installed the “Device ID” app to confirm this. Further tweaking might be risky (possibly voiding the warranty).

Anyhow, if it’s just YouTube you want, you can just open browser and watch it there.

I also got inspired from a previous post in this thread to install the nova launcher, and choose that as my Home app, instead of starOS. So now I get more complete Android experience. There are third party apps which can takes care of updating apps, like Yalp.

(I’m an Android newbie, this is the first Android device I used primarily for something. I have several cheap Android phones with pay-as-you-go SIM cards left in cars as emergency backups.)

BTW, having access to the Android system settings had helped me setting up two Bluetooth speakers with this tablet. One is Amazon Echo Dot, the other is Bose mini 2. Both of them was not recognized inside the EchelonFit app, but once I got the paired via the Android OS settings, they were connected fine and recognized by EchelonFit. Echelon’s official FAQ suggests users to by a separate Bluetooth receiver if they couldn’t pair their speaker in this case. That’s just ridiculous. My impression so far with the company is they need to pay more attention to details, such as the user manual, app experience, website user portal etc. All needs improvement. The EX-5s does seem to be a quick product targeting peloton. Hope they will improve the software side of things over the years. So far I’m pleased with the hardware though.

Thanks again for checking to see if it would work out! That is so badass that you figured out how to do it!!! I should be getting my bike in the next couple of weeks and I will give it a try!

Have a good one
    Just tested it. Bottom left is for developer mode, top left Demo mode but what you need is bottom right to get to setting related to these posts. They must have different codes for each corner, but bottom right is 1085
    Yeah I easily accessed the dev mode and Demo mode (altho codes I tried were denied). Bottom right just wasn't working. I eventually got it tapping right on the border line with the bottom bar, maybe a hairs width into the grey space, right in the corner - maybe my finger tips are too callused lol - but I'm in now, thanks!!!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone